Favorite combat mode: Normal, Dice Chess, Chess?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Favorite combat mode: Normal, Dice Chess, Chess?

Normal
48%
Dice Chess
36%
Chess
17%

Total votes: 115

Erasermarek
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Favorite combat mode: Normal, Dice Chess, Chess?

Post by Erasermarek »

PeteMitchell wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 am True... but this is what I would like to avoid personally... I want to get what I see... with limited surprises by random odds...
...and therefore it is beautiful that everyone can set it up for themselves. I don't know if anyone is playing on the lowest difficulty, but in such a long Grand campaign, I'm very happy for the difficulty of Lieutenant. Colonel is great for me in shorter and less stressful campaigns. However, many people here play on difficulty Manstein and above. Here it just shows why this game is popular.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Yes, and that's why I would like to be able to set it up for Dice Chess in MP as well... which is unfortunately not possible for now :)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

Chess mode is the hardest.. you have no chance for extremely good result if your unit is not superior to enemy... advance is much slower than with normal or dice chess... (yes, AI also wont get those extreme results, but human player can always accommodate for these with other units, but AI doesnt..)
Keen
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Keen »

I prefer normal. Chess mode let you to count everything and that's much easy to play without risk especially for psychology. Also that is more boring. But in normal mode you need to have some backup war plans and be ready for changing situation at the battlefield. That makes you to be more adaptatious for anything. You need to be stress resistant with unlucky dice and be ready to make better decisions no matter what happend. Thats harder and more interesting IMHO especially in multiplayer battles.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Keen wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:35 pm But in normal mode you need to have some backup war plans and be ready for changing situation at the battlefield.
Yes... :shock: :( :roll:
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Keen wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:35 pm I prefer normal. Chess mode let you to count everything and that's much easy to play without risk especially for psychology. Also that is more boring. But in normal mode you need to have some backup war plans and be ready for changing situation at the battlefield. That makes you to be more adaptatious for anything. You need to be stress resistant with unlucky dice and be ready to make better decisions no matter what happend. Thats harder and more interesting IMHO especially in multiplayer battles.
My problem with normal on mp is that there are players that game the system and reload if they do not get the desired result. I know, as we saw this being played out on the tournament I set up in 2018, and based on the "gaming" going on I have not bothered trying to set up another one.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm
Keen wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:35 pm I prefer normal. Chess mode let you to count everything and that's much easy to play without risk especially for psychology. Also that is more boring. But in normal mode you need to have some backup war plans and be ready for changing situation at the battlefield. That makes you to be more adaptatious for anything. You need to be stress resistant with unlucky dice and be ready to make better decisions no matter what happend. Thats harder and more interesting IMHO especially in multiplayer battles.
My problem with normal on mp is that there are players that game the system and reload if they do not get the desired result. I know, as we saw this being played out on the tournament I set up in 2018, and based on the "gaming" going on I have not bothered trying to set up another one.
This makes a lot of sense to me, with dice chess there is no need to reload as the chance of getting a different result from the one shown (or already received) is very small...

And the game/result feels less arbitrary...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:25 pm
goose_2 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm
This makes a lot of sense to me, with dice chess there is no need to reload as the chance of getting a different result from the one shown (or already received) is very small...

And the game/result feels less arbitrary...
Total agreement with you there. I am not even sure they have a choice on mp for pc2, as I was unab;le to really play around with it on the beta testing of the game
goose_2

Keen

Post by Keen »

goose_2 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm My problem with normal on mp is that there are players that game the system and reload if they do not get the desired result. I know, as we saw this being played out on the tournament I set up in 2018, and based on the "gaming" going on I have not bothered trying to set up another one.
Hi again! We met on your youtube channel today. ))

I know about cheating on the tournament in 2018. I remember that Alexrus was an official champion before that tournament and loose first game vs cheater. There was some more strange things during that tournament. So i understand why you don't want to organize the new tournament. The other reason it was too long. :D So I'm happy i did not take a part there. )) We need new rules to make it much shorter. By the way I still don't understand why you excluded Rishat from tournament. ))

Would you like to play once again vs me?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Keen wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 pm
goose_2 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm My problem with normal on mp is that there are players that game the system and reload if they do not get the desired result. I know, as we saw this being played out on the tournament I set up in 2018, and based on the "gaming" going on I have not bothered trying to set up another one.
Hi again! We met on your youtube channel today. ))

I know about cheating on the tournament in 2018. I remember that Alexrus was an official champion before that tournament and loose first game vs cheater. There was some more strange things during that tournament. So i understand why you don't want to organize the new tournament. The other reason it was too long. :D So I'm happy i did not take a part there. )) We need new rules to make it much shorter. By the way I still don't understand why you excluded Rishat from tournament. ))

Would you like to play once again vs me?
I would be willing doing a campaign with you like the tournament to have fun that way.
I do this with a number of players including DD-Ovy which just finished Kursk where he beat me as the Germans on the last turn, I loved that kind of game
Set up Poland with undo off and make the password
campaign and I will see it on the mp and join
ok?
goose_2

Keen

Post by Keen »

goose_2 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:16 pm
I would be willing doing a campaign with you like the tournament to have fun that way.
I do this with a number of players including DD-Ovy which just finished Kursk where he beat me as the Germans on the last turn, I loved that kind of game
Set up Poland with undo off and make the password
campaign and I will see it on the mp and join
ok?
It's sound interesting! I never play Poland in multiplayer before and have no time to prepare as usual. :D
But anyway i am ready to play the first map. You are really good in playing on so difficult levels in campaings.
I didn't try even Rommel. :roll: It will be very interesting to play vs you instead of AI.
I created the new challenge pass 0102
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by jeffoot77 »

when you want to finish an unit , you have to play in chess mode. And like there are a max number of turns to get the decisive victory, it is very important to finish units.

I couldn't play anymore in normal mode. It changes the game ! IA is cheating so many times , especially in hard difficulties. No more incredible results et no more escaping units.
It is also the big default of Order of battle .
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

jeffoot77 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:25 pm when you want to finish an unit , you have to play in chess mode. And like there are a max number of turns to get the decisive victory, it is very important to finish units.

I couldn't play anymore in normal mode. It changes the game ! IA is cheating so many times , especially in hard difficulties. No more incredible results et no more escaping units.
It is also the big default of Order of battle .
What do you mean with AI is cheating?
There has been some discussion on whether or not the AI cheating but from what I understood, the AI never cheats... it either saw you somehow or it ran into you by luck / coincidence...
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

I am pretty sure that the AI of Panzer Corps never cheats. I played thousands of hours with this game and never found any evidence for AI cheating. It always does what it is told/programmed/scripted to do and it makes its decisions based on the data that it can gain according to the game rules. On top of that, it never reloads the last game save if it gets an unlucky dice roll. :) So I believe cheaters are much easier to find in the other side of the screen.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
LevV
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LevV »

Most of the time I have played normal, and over the course of campaign it results in annoying save/load loop. Sometimes this can save you even after a disasterous mistake though.
I tried dice chess recently, which is more relaxing indeed, but currently paused on that play-through for various reasons.
For personal enjoyment should play on dice chess, however if you want play MP kinda need to be prepared to this full random.

Return to “Panzer Corps”