Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

huckc
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: USA

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by huckc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:38 am

hurly wrote:
goose_2 wrote:Trifler just told me that he has never unlocked Ultimate, but he assumes finishing a mission on Rommel. Braccada has done that. Braccada did that unlock Ultimate difficulty setting?

finishing Afrika Korps on Rommel did not change anything for me, but I have to admit I originally unlocked the 3 Extra Levels via regedit so maybe that broke something

but Rudankort has given some instructions how to do it

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30415

If you do not dare to mess with the regedit programm I'm pretty sure he will help you
It's actually pretty easy to unlock Ultimate, just need open up the file in notepad to paste a line in a normal man readable text file.

Note that for allied expansions/DLC since they use a slightly different UI the file to edit is buried a bit deeper:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Panzer Corps\Expansion2\ac\UI\gameoptions.htm

Trifler
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by Trifler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 am

huckc wrote: It's actually pretty easy to unlock Ultimate, just need open up the file in notepad to paste a line in a normal man readable text file.

Note that for allied expansions/DLC since they use a slightly different UI the file to edit is buried a bit deeper:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Panzer Corps\Expansion2\ac\UI\gameoptions.htm
He's asking how to do it the legit way.

huckc
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: USA

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by huckc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Trifler wrote:
huckc wrote: It's actually pretty easy to unlock Ultimate, just need open up the file in notepad to paste a line in a normal man readable text file.

Note that for allied expansions/DLC since they use a slightly different UI the file to edit is buried a bit deeper:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Panzer Corps\Expansion2\ac\UI\gameoptions.htm
He's asking how to do it the legit way.
There is no legit way, for good reason too as I'm finding out :lol:

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 am
Location: Winterset, Iowa

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by goose_2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:22 pm

huckc wrote:
Trifler wrote:
huckc wrote: It's actually pretty easy to unlock Ultimate, just need open up the file in notepad to paste a line in a normal man readable text file.

Note that for allied expansions/DLC since they use a slightly different UI the file to edit is buried a bit deeper:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Panzer Corps\Expansion2\ac\UI\gameoptions.htm
He's asking how to do it the legit way.
There is no legit way, for good reason too as I'm finding out :lol:
The problem is I do not know how to make adjustments to the program or even to upload modifications.
I am not computer illiterate, just computer retarded. ;)
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

huckc
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: USA

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by huckc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:29 am

goose_2 wrote: The problem is I do not know how to make adjustments to the program or even to upload modifications.
I am not computer illiterate, just computer retarded. ;)
You should see me try to transfer someone on a landline phone, like it's some sort of alien artifact :lol:

Anyway, attached are the files for each campaign with Ultimate unlocked with instructions on where to copy them (biased towards Steam).
Attachments
Ultamite Unlock Files.zip
(9.66 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

KorutZelva
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by KorutZelva » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:14 am

Father of Blitzkrieg (win on Guderian), Strategic Genius (win on Manstein), or Desert Fox (win on Rommel)

Can you get those from the Grand Campaign add-on?

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 am
Location: Winterset, Iowa

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by goose_2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:18 am

KorutZelva wrote:Father of Blitzkrieg (win on Guderian), Strategic Genius (win on Manstein), or Desert Fox (win on Rommel)

Can you get those from the Grand Campaign add-on?
Yo do not get awarded those bonus levels for winning the Grand Campaign on Field Marshall, only on Standard/Vanilla Campaign, Afrika Korps, Allied Corps, or Soviet Corps.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

KorutZelva
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by KorutZelva » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:29 pm

I meant can you get those achievements (playing on the respective difficulty Guderian, Rommel or Manstein) in Grand Campaign add-on.

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 am
Location: Winterset, Iowa

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by goose_2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm

KorutZelva wrote:I meant can you get those achievements (playing on the respective difficulty Guderian, Rommel or Manstein) in Grand Campaign add-on.

Yes yes you can I have done it, and it is fun, difficult, but fun
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

KorutZelva
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by KorutZelva » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Does it unlock at the completion of a chapter (Poland, France etc.) or at the conclusion of the entire Grand campaign?
Last edited by KorutZelva on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 am
Location: Winterset, Iowa

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by goose_2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:36 pm

KorutZelva wrote:Does it unlock at the completion of a chapter (Poland, France etc.) or at the conclusion of the entire campaign?

conclusion of the entire 39 campaign
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

KorutZelva
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by KorutZelva » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:53 pm

So I can do grand campaign Poland Manstein, switch to Guderian for grand campaign france etc.?

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 am
Location: Winterset, Iowa

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by goose_2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

KorutZelva wrote:So I can do grand campaign Poland Manstein, switch to Guderian for grand campaign france etc.?

yeppers
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

KorutZelva
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by KorutZelva » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 pm

thanks for the info

MaxF
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by MaxF » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:12 pm

I haven't unlocked any Special Difficulty Level - I disembarked in the East Coast and didn't finish that scenario.

After some attempt, I found this custom setup is OK for the Eastern Front.
- Prestige reduced to 50%; I want this parametere as historically reducing, so 70% in first campaigns. In '43 50%, reducing it in '44 and '45: historically you could not have all your PzIV converted in Tiger, Panther or Tiger II.
Soviets instead can have plenty of prestige, replacing losses and creating new units near the end of the mission.
- Experience: set very low now. But my core units are already near the scenatio experience limit so only the new units are struggling in gaining exp.
Soviets with 107% has a slight increase: I don't want them too much expert. Frov Soviet Union I expect lost of units but less experienced than my ones.
- I set +3 turns because I like the game lasting more -- I played also a +5 but that can give an important advantage in scenarios which need a rush / on the other hand can be difficult to hold in defence your objects with more turns.
- Dice-Chess for the thrill of it.

What I'm not sure about is Overstrenght
Attachments
Difficulty Final.png
Difficulty Final.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1775 times

captainjack
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1417
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 am

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by captainjack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 pm

I like the idea of progressively reducing prestige -I 've thought of it but never quite followed through.

I normall play on slightly tweaked general.
85 or 90% prestige, and matching experience.
AI either at standard 150% or 135%, depending on whether I want a challenge or a fun distraction.
Occasionally I'll add a strength point or two to the AI
Extra turns can be helpful when attacking but harder when defending - fewer turns would reverse things and may break some triggers.

One thing I've noticeed is that sometimes what looks like a small change can have a very big effect in game.
From my experiences -
In early scenarios, when you often have a relatively small force, there's only a small of a dfference with AI strength +1, but it gets a lot more noticable at +2. I haven't tried a harder setting yet.
85 or 90% prestige is not that hard but once at about 75 or 80 is starts hurting
Experience below about 75% starts to make anything beyond 3* quite hard to reach, especially for units like AA which seem to struggle with experience even on normal settings (yesterday my 3* 7/1 shot down a Stirling single handedly and got no experience at all, despite base cost being half or less of the bomber).

The actual numbers at which effects become noticable will vary according to personal taste and skill - Manstein and the like is currently beyond me, but the people who play at that level would probably need much harder settings to make a difference.

MaxF
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by MaxF » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Forgot to write that my tweaks are done after the Field Marshal level.
Experience at 50% is very limiting, I agree. I check the changes after a battle, and a 3* unit gains a +1, or nothing at all.
New units can gain a +7 instead.
I can play with 50% exp because I use always Elite replacements: my units are close to the Campaign exp limit. So exp isn't that issue: it makes my core quite stable.
Prestige 50%: I had to remake the GC 43 because from 15000 prestige I went down to zero in one scenario...
Then I came here and learned about the Soft Cap! Since then am using some low-prestige units, leaving some very costy in reserve (like the Wurfrhamen). No transports. Not upgrading all the panzers. In Kiev 43 I saw my 'Albert' Pz III M vs the IS-1 :))

What I find annoying is that I cannot check the current difficulty lever, started the Campaign.
Once I wasn't sure if I checked the Custom square, another time I wasn't sure which settings I had. Probably there's a file to look at. My solution is to take one screenshot of the Difficulty level each time I begin a GC.

captainjack
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1417
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 am

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by captainjack » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 pm

In a scenario, the message box should display the difficulty setting. If you are using a custom one, it will probably say custom, but not list the settings.
At the end of each scenario, you can select "difficulty" button and check your settings there.

MaxF
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Re: Custom and Advanced Difficulty Settings

Post by MaxF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 am

captainjack wrote:In a scenario, the message box should display the difficulty setting. If you are using a custom one, it will probably say custom, but not list the settings.
At the end of each scenario, you can select "difficulty" button and check your settings there.
That's very important to note, I forgot it, my apologies.

Post Reply

Return to “Panzer Corps”