Usage of switch button

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Lut
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Usage of switch button

Post by Lut »

I would like to see the option "dig in" or "ambush" as an option for ground forces like AT guns, TD and tanks.

For example:
I am never using the Nashorn TD because of his weak armour... in reality the nashorn was quite successful if being used in an ambush position.
Now comes the switch button...

Ambush postion (using the switch button)
=> + 2 defense
=> + 1 ini
=> + 1 CD
=> using all movement points

AT the same

Tanks
=> + 1 defense
=> + 1 ini

something like that
Kirby
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Usage of switch button

Post by Kirby »

Actually not a bad idea. Would require a separate button though, as the switch button is already used for... well, switch. Also StuH can switch, so that makes it that much harder to implement on the same button.
timek28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by timek28 »

Yeah Nashorn right now is pretty unusable. I think it has something like 24 HA!, but only 8 GD. So basally any attack with it destroy the enemy and Nashorn itself. Pretty much the same is for italian AT of 20 HA.

The things you proposed are nice and wouldn't do to much damage to existing game mechanics.

Of course there is the natural method of digging in. This implies being in rough terrain, cities or fortifications. But it takes (a lot of) time for entrenchment to become usable and that is maybe the main problem. On the other hand digging in mechanic might mean that it is doable in one turn, to increase entrenchment ASAP (by say 2-3 points). To ballance that out maybe such unit wouldn't be able to move in next 1-2 turns (in order to simulate digging out and preparing for movement) or something like that). Or maybe it could dig out imidiatelly. I don't know...
Lut
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Lut »

Hi timek28,

you are right with the natural method of digging in, but for it is more the behavoir of the commander not the pure physical entrenchment.

For me putting an TD into ambush mode would mean that the commander:
- Cover the unit as best as possible (+ 2 defense), maybe dig it in
- be passive if the enemy moves into your direction
- open fire without being discovered before (+1 ini) or
- open fire at long distance (typical Nashorn) without being discovered (+1 ini)
Resolute

Post by Resolute »

I think that is a nice idea to boost especially AT units a bit since their lower prestige costs in comparison to tanks in no way offsets their apparent disadvantages.
However most scenaios (single-player) are mainly about being offensive, so digging in really serves not much purpose in my opinion.
borsook79
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by borsook79 »

Why would we need a button like that? If it's using all the movement points, then it's enough to add this if a unit did not move. So basically what you are suggesting is entrenchment mechanics.
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

I could make a unit like that, but it would have severe penalties for using that mode.

Movement fuel and ammo would be reduced plus the cost may be double to prevent a player from reinforcing it in the Ambush mode.

I already have another version called the Hornisee, which can switch to Artillery fire mode.
Lut
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Lut »

Hi Razz1,

would be nice to have an option "ambush" for all heavy TD to reflect their superior weapon, low chassis and fighting doctrine ...for sure not only for the german side :D

- plus 2 defense and
- plus 1 or even 2 ini
would reflect that pretty well, what do you think?

downside:
- use all movment points
- maybe use also all movement points when switching to normal mode (lose one turn).

with this update it would make more sense buying JagdPz IV or Nashorn... Right now not really an option for me.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

Switch your tactics and set up an ambush for the AI.

This works for me.
Minus8isGreat
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Minus8isGreat »

Digging in and ambush are extremly tactical in nature. I always thought of PzC as an operational level game, where a lot of the tactical aspects of unit management were built into the game mechanic rather than being options to set during play. The units are not individuals or small squads, but representative of large units. Therefore, the terrain can act as a modifier, but the unit itself has a 'defensive' and 'offensive' rating inheirent in it. AT guns are actually self-supportive units that can attack and defend. Adding more options to the units only serves to complicate what is a staightforward system.

I do remember in my West Front days (circa 1997?) that they had options for digging in and settings for ambushing, but that was a purely tactical game.
Lut
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Lut »

Hi Minus8isGreat,

for me PC is also a tactical game but I have to disagree with you regarding the unit size - talking about the DLC, not vanilla.

For me these are max. regiments or batallions and highly specified.

There are no combined forces like a typical german Kampfgruppe.

Coming back to the example of the TD:
For me this unit is a typical jagdpanzer battailion like the "Schwere Panzerjägerabteilung 655" equipped with 45 Nashorn. And yes, i want to put these 45 guys into ambush mode manually.
Minus8isGreat

Post by Minus8isGreat »

Thanks Lut.

Good point, the units are probably supposed to represent battalions that have a defined specialty, and rely on the mission commander (player) for direction and support.

Return to “Panzer Corps”