Götterdämmerung

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

durangokid
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Götterdämmerung

Post by durangokid »

I just finished the Bagration and Germany scenarios. It wasn't very jolly.

While it might be historically correct to wipe me out so easily, this is a game and I want a fighting chance!

Because I lost Bagration so easily, I used as many tanks as possible in Germany. Looked good, didn't last. The sheer number of Russian and Americans overwhelmed my forces easily.

I really like this game but can't just keep invading Poland! The Grand Campaign I was having for Christmas is looking very suspect at this moment.

I feel like it would say on my Annual Report for 1944-45 :

This man sets himself a low standard and fails to achieve it.
shawkhan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Götterdämmerung

Post by shawkhan »

Myself, I have been able to win every scenario but SeaLion'45 at Field marshal level. It is necessary to enter the latter years of the war with a healthy store of prestige, as you will need to upgrade your core to the very best in order to survive against the unrealistically enhanced hordes of elite Russian armor.
Other than that, always keep armor in clear terrain, backed up by artillery, and covered by Flak and fighters.
Infantry needs to be kept in close terrain and similarly covered. One fourth of your core should be artillery in order to achieve this.
Do not advance blindly or you will be ambushed.
If you don't have a good cushion of prestige points, you might need to go back to a prior place in the campaign in order to start conservation measures. One of the things that wastes a lot of PPs is overstrengthing units. With each additional point the price goes up drastically. I myself have been guilty of this. You need at least 20k pps when going into 1944 if you want to make a good showing.
Sometimes players will immolate their cores by always going for the DV. Marginal victories are still victories. At least until 1945.
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

Also, it is vital to exploit the AI´s weaknesses. Tactical withdrawles can devastate the AI´s advance. Just move your units out of his sight and he will run straight into your AT guns.
durangokid
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by durangokid »

Thanks for the replies. I have started again as I wasn't aware that PP carried over. I had just over 5000 when I arrived at Bagration and that doesn't last long or buy too many Panzers. Mind you, the tanks I did have didn't last long. When your three tanks are surrounded by 19 Soviet tanks it doesn't take much imagination to see what's coming - and it's ugly!

I'm never going to be a Guderian, but enjoy the game. Tell me the Grand Campaign is worth getting?
Last edited by durangokid on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

Yes, absolutely. It adds a lot of depth to the game. Many levels offer much more than simply rushing towards specific victory hexes. And there are a lot of small campaign elements which make the game more colorful (Captured Units, Scripted Special Units)

Still, if defending against hordes of Soviet tanks isn´t your favorite occupation, you should consider skipping GC East, but choosing GC West instead.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

One of Rommel's tactics for dealing with more numerous tanks was tactical withdrawal of tanks behind AT guns - an excellent plan if you can find the right spot and time it well.
I can sometimes make this work by deploying AT and artillery behind a screen of armour. Once deployed, simply pull back and watch the mayhem then mop up with the tanks a turn or two later.
Under 1.21 your experienced AT is very effective - but even better if you get a +2attack hero to go with your +3Attack hero on your 5* Stug 3. With the help of a 3* strategic bomber it could even get rid of Churchills.
Aloo
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Aloo »

durangokid wrote:...Tell me the Grand Campaign is worth getting?
The Grand Campaign is very much worth it. Im playing it for the 4th time now :) the biggest difference for me is:
- more time to play with all the units as you spend much more time in every year
- the scenarios are much less about rushing against the clock

I haven't played the normal campaign since starting on the DLC.
durangokid
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by durangokid »

[quote]Im playing it for the 4th time now[quote]

Lol - the only game I have played even twice is Dead Space and only then in short bursts. Too much excitement!

I like that you can play at your own pace in PZ and the long '39 to '45 campaign is very attractive. However, as has been stated, even in a post today by BiteNibbleChomp, Some Advice in Purchasing :

I think that the best would be the Grand Campaign from 39 until 42. After that and you get mauled!

As the game clearly depends on the difficulty level played and player ability, it's subjective as to whether getting mauled is fun. The difficultly level can always be cranked up and down but where's the level just below Corporal? :roll:

It's a good game and it's also very enjoyable to discuss it on a forum that isn't overrun with contributers who are only interested in being sarcastic and abusive.
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

You don't get mauled after 42 in Grand Campaign, at least not to hard :P. You can always adjust the difficulty settings making the game playable for you. There is no point in trying to play it in Rommel if you keep failing and get wiped out over and over again. Just reduce the difficulty level to where it fits you and you can have fun even in later DLCs.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Tarrak wrote:You don't get mauled after 42 in Grand Campaign, at least not to hard :P. You can always adjust the difficulty settings making the game playable for you. There is no point in trying to play it in Rommel if you keep failing and get wiped out over and over again. Just reduce the difficulty level to where it fits you and you can have fun even in later DLCs.
I can't say I agree - I play on Lieutenant and get crushed by over 150 units every scenario! This is based on scenarios Kremenchug and Kiev43, both of which my core was badly beaten up at the end of. Earlier in '43 (Belgorod Offensive, until Yakovlevo (chose that path 'cause I can deal with tanks when I have Tigers)), I had to spend up to 15k pp each scenario (good thing I played 42 on Sergeant and scored 110k!). Now I have given up on GC after 42.

Sadly, '42-3 West is not much more fun - Dieppe is a meat grinder to your core! I really hope that Slitherine considers an "update" that allows you to start GC42-3W half way through, dealing with Sicily etc. as I REALLY want to play Sealion45 with a core of Konigstigers!

Do you think it may be better to play '44 on Sergeant or is it really incredibly hard (if not may play Sergeant but with time limit reduced to the normal setting)

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

You can try as well to fine tune your difficulty level with custom setting. If you can identify what exactly makes you lose you can amend the problem individually. If it's just lacking a few turns to be able to move slower and more careful just add a few, if its lack of prestige increase the amount of prestige gained, if you getting overrun by hordes of experienced enemy units try to apply some penalty to AI experience.

Play around with the settings until you find some that challenge you enough while still being fun and not frustrating.

Return to “Panzer Corps”