How much prestige is enough?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Stmcla
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

How much prestige is enough?

Post by Stmcla » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:19 pm

I'm 2/3 the way through DLC 41 on FM. I have 33k in prestige. Is that going to be enough to get through the tougher campaigns in 42 onwards or should I switch to a lower level? What is the main drain on prestige in later campaigns? Is it the upgrades in equipment, or do you have to use more replacements in game? At the moment I rarely add replacements in game, and I have also stopped over strengthening because of the extra costs.

endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: How much prestige is enough?

Post by endur » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:31 pm

I think it depends in part on your style of play and also the scenarios you are playing (DLC east is different from DLC west).

It also depends on how much impact you have from the prestige soft cap (when your average unit cost is >400, your prestige income will be reduced).

The question of replacements in game is an interesting question... while I definitely agree that the when you are on the last turn of the scenario, you don't want to replace troops until the scenario ends, I'm less certain about before then. A full strength unit with good initiative will take less damage than an understrength unit. So it may be cost effective to make sure that your units in combat are always 8 strength or more (unless you are planning on just hiding understrength units where they can't be attacked).

From a unit quality perspective, both the western allies and the soviets get tough units from 1942 to 1945 (including infantry, tanks, and air force). They also will have great numbers and many of their units will be over-strengthened and will have experience.

I think the key is to recognize that there are some scenarios you must have a decisive victory in and you must go for the win regardless of the prestige cost or loss of units. There are other scenarios in which a marginal victory or a loss is good enough and you can focus on minimizing your prestige cost and unit losses.

Stmcla
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Stmcla » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:10 pm

I only keep units in the main line if they have 8/7 + points. Lower than that I keep them behind and use them to finish off enemy stragglers, and then add replacements at the deployment phase. Occasionally I will use in game replacements if there is a strong enemy counter attack and I'm unsure of my position.

In the last couple of games I have stopped over strengthening units to save prestige. So far the tactic has worked OK as I haven't lost any units and still got DV's. However I think overall I may have taken more damage, so it it is hard to say if I have saved any prestige.

I have read the tread on which units to over strength but most units seem to take damage across games. As each extra point of strength cost more that the last I might try adding just one or two extra points to get a balance between cost and power.

Victor_K
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Victor_K » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:43 pm

Good question. I am currently 1/2 way through 1942 with about 60K in prestige. I hope to be at about 75K for 1943. I currently only over strength tactical bombers, strategical bombers, 88aa gun, all my SE units (SE units do not count to the prestige cap), and specific units, depending on the situation. Your main prestige drain in the later DLC's are replacement costs, the reduced gain in prestige due to the cap, and upgrading units.

You want to balance the need to have fun and succeed in earlier DLC's vs saving enough prestige to enable you to get through 1944 and 1945.

Each player finds their balance.

Return to “Panzer Corps”