How upset do you get when you fail?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Anfield
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: How upset do you get when you fail?

Post by Anfield » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Naxor wrote:
Anfield wrote:
cougarranger wrote:What's does DLC mean?
Thats the Down Load Campaign.
Or downloadable content. :wink:
Yes it means that too. lol

:D :wink:

Anfield

Post by Anfield » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:56 pm

But getting back on topic, AC pissed me off two nights ago!! :evil:

I was fighting D-Day and finally taking Caen. Which as you all know is a pain to take lol Anyway with everything massing there, I some how overlooked the fuel on a 4 star spitfire that id had since the britsh could first buy planes way back. I know it didnt get shot down, but in between battles as im repairing and upgrading Im looking wondering where the hell one of my fighters went. Then it dawns on me he must have run out of fuel someplace.

Yeah I was pissed! And worse, I had forgot to turn the reform units on too! :shock:

ExiledZebra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ExiledZebra » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:12 am

I get slightly ticked off when I lose a battle, certainly when I was not meant to lose in the first place.

For example, in the main campaign at Kursk, I managed to utterly defeat the Russian forces on both flanks and had one last objective to capture. With only 4 turns left, suddenly 4-5 T-34s leap out of the fog of war and capture 2 objective cities far in the back lines (I had ignored and bypassed one non objective city and the CPU decided to reinforce that position late game with a crap ton of T-34s).

I quickly send my Elephants and Panthers back to try and recapture the objectives (but being slow it took forever to move them back). It takes them about 2-3 turns to get there. Once at the cities we cleared all of the T-34s but none of my tanks had any movement points to recapture the cities, despite there not being any more units left in and around the captured cities...and on the very last turn to make it worst. So I lost the battle by leaving two deserted enemy objective cities (literally had my one of my Panther and Elephant 1 hex away from entering both towns simultaneously)

To be fair, it was my own mistake to leave that one single town unharmed, but then again, I never expected the Russians to reinforce that town with so many units in so little time.

But in general, once I suffer a defeat I just take it, no restarts (unless the whole campaign ends). It makes it feel all the more intense and rewarding when you win. Even losing is fun in a way, sure it sucks that you lost, but it makes the game more immersive, because, like in real life, you can't win every battle. Furthermore it gives you a challenge to over come in the following scenario (i.e. Bagration in my case, good grief that battle was horrid for me >_< all my units bar 1 tactical bomber were destroyed)

Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Muddy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:43 am

Because of failure while playing PC, I have lost my wife and dog, had to remortgage the house, made enemy's of neighbours and started smoking again.

ksasaki
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ksasaki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:16 pm

ExiledZebra wrote:I get slightly ticked off when I lose a battle, certainly when I was not meant to lose in the first place.

For example, in the main campaign at Kursk, I managed to utterly defeat the Russian forces on both flanks and had one last objective to capture. With only 4 turns left, suddenly 4-5 T-34s leap out of the fog of war and capture 2 objective cities far in the back lines (I had ignored and bypassed one non objective city and the CPU decided to reinforce that position late game with a crap ton of T-34s).

I quickly send my Elephants and Panthers back to try and recapture the objectives (but being slow it took forever to move them back). It takes them about 2-3 turns to get there. Once at the cities we cleared all of the T-34s but none of my tanks had any movement points to recapture the cities, despite there not being any more units left in and around the captured cities...and on the very last turn to make it worst. So I lost the battle by leaving two deserted enemy objective cities (literally had my one of my Panther and Elephant 1 hex away from entering both towns simultaneously)

To be fair, it was my own mistake to leave that one single town unharmed, but then again, I never expected the Russians to reinforce that town with so many units in so little time.

But in general, once I suffer a defeat I just take it, no restarts (unless the whole campaign ends). It makes it feel all the more intense and rewarding when you win. Even losing is fun in a way, sure it sucks that you lost, but it makes the game more immersive, because, like in real life, you can't win every battle. Furthermore it gives you a challenge to over come in the following scenario (i.e. Bagration in my case, good grief that battle was horrid for me >_< all my units bar 1 tactical bomber were destroyed)
I'll have to try to do a playthrough the way you do, ExiledZebra, it would be interesting indeed to see how I did because my planes have run out of fuel multiple times....operator error.

And Muddy, I hope you are not being serious! But, my condolences if you are, I know my girlfriend is not too thrilled about me being focused on the game while she is trying to talk to me!

antoniocapo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by antoniocapo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Muddy wrote:Because of failure while playing PC, I have lost my wife and dog, had to remortgage the house, made enemy's of neighbours and started smoking again.
Great more time to play :)

You should quit smoking though.

RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Generally, I don't get upset. I have also played so much that I try and use a lot of "house rules" to balance stuff out. I do use "reform units", because my favorite unit is a captured Su-122 that I just can't bear to lose! I also save often, because I often mess up with "random mouse click errors"-- but I won't reload if I just do something tactically stupid.

Muddy

Post by Muddy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 pm

ksasaki wrote:
And Muddy, I hope you are not being serious! But, my condolences if you are, I know my girlfriend is not too thrilled about me being focused on the game while she is trying to talk to me!
No, no. I was having a laugh. I don't take my games that serious, I love my dog. :)

ExiledZebra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ExiledZebra » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:03 am

[/quote]

I'll have to try to do a playthrough the way you do, ExiledZebra, it would be interesting indeed to see how I did because my planes have run out of fuel multiple times....operator error.

And Muddy, I hope you are not being serious! But, my condolences if you are, I know my girlfriend is not too thrilled about me being focused on the game while she is trying to talk to me![/quote]

You really should, I personnally find that's how the game should be played but I can understand how frustrating it is to lose a special unit you've held close to your heart...

I find myself surprisingly careless/heartless when it comes to losing units on the other hand, it's just like: Oh, darn, my 3 star Panthers with 3 war heros just died...oh well, the next fresh Panthers will fill in the spot :3 (i'd be a horrible commander irl -_-)

Also, look at all you guys and girlfriends who are pissed off at spending more time on game then with them...I have the no girlfriend "advantage" so that means I can play for as long as I can w/o nagging :D (admittedly I too would also like to play lick the icing/whipcream off my nude gf's body, but that's currently out of the options...for now :wink: )

Muddy

Post by Muddy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:35 am

ExiledZebra wrote:
(admittedly I too would also like to play lick the icing/whipcream off my nude gf's body, but that's currently out of the options...for now :wink: )
Why, don't you have any plates in your house?

El_Jairo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by El_Jairo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 am

LOL,

I think your image on a relation (especially my long term ones) doesn't fit my reality ExiledZebra. I wish I could eat off my GF too but she would rather eat the whipped cream herselve!

Back on topic: I really get upset with loosing as I'm trying to get a win on FM in the vanilla campaign. Quite frustrating indeed: I'm now stuck on Sea Lion '40 and I am confronted wih my lack of planning and knowledge of the game mehcanics and tactics.
Apart from that I find myself reloading from the start of the turn because of miss-clicks or because I forgot to execute my plan in the right order.
I got so frustrated that I failed DV by one turn I deceided to play Barbarossa for a while... Even thinking about Sea Lion...

antoniocapo

Post by antoniocapo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:40 pm

El_Jairo wrote:I got so frustrated that I failed DV by one turn I deceided to play Barbarossa for a while... Even thinking about Sea Lion...
All that whipcream went to your head :wink:

cougarranger
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by cougarranger » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:07 pm

Funny I get upset if I lose some veteran unit in a silly way near the end of a hard battle.

Also I have been playing this game for years but just started playing mutliplayer. My question is why do so many play games only with others only in password protected games. Seems hard to find good open games.

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:54 am

The last time I saw my iPad, was out the window when a British Task force on Sealion 45 destroyed half my core in one turn...

Return to “Panzer Corps”