Panzer Corps iPad half off!

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Emoni
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Panzer Corps iPad half off!

Post by Emoni » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:24 am

Partially wish I had waited to buy it, but I'm getting so much out of it I don't regretting full price. Do wish they would discount the DLC though! So expensive...

Anyway, right now the iPad version is of sale. Hope maybe other great games drop for a summer sale too.

Thanks again all!

Baku42
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Panzer Corps iPad half off!

Post by Baku42 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:34 am

A sale is nice but I think some advertising is in order. If I'm a target demographic, old Panzer General from the 90s who left gaming when real time became the thing, I had no idea this was out there & only stumbled on it by accident. I'm sure lots of guys would want this on their ipad

JimmyC
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JimmyC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 am

PC version is also half price on Steam at the moment.

Unfortunately its just the base game and not AK/AC/DLC. Have to agree too that the DLC's are overpriced.

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 pm

JimmyC wrote:PC version is also half price on Steam at the moment.

Unfortunately its just the base game and not AK/AC/DLC. Have to agree too that the DLC's are overpriced.
How are the DLc overpriced? You get around 15 scenarios from each DLC and they just cost 4 Euro each. Lets face it 4 Euro is nowadays about the price of a beer in a pub. For the same money you get here around 20 hours of game play and that just on the first play through. Per hour you are investing 0.2 Euro. If you buy the Megapack at once you just have to pay 32 Euro for all the 10 DLCs which is even only 3.2 euro per DLC. You really can't call that expensive rather on the contrary.

Emoni
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Emoni » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Tarrak, I agree that Panzer Corps is a great game, but for all the DLC (whether an option or not) $60 on top of the main game is rather high. I know the arguments and that they are good value, but you won't find many games where the DLC and extra content is 300% higher than the base game.

Even as a huge fan, I can't help but feel the pricing model is a bit off. But still, I love the game. In the DLc ever was half off, I'm certain I'd buy it all. $60 for the combo, or more seperately, is hard for even a fan to justify. Especially with today's competitive pricing for equally great games ( but this doesn't downplay the greatness if Panzer Corps, don't get me wrong).

Please don't take offense though, the game is still amazing, and I'm sure the DLC are great too. I'm simply talking about the pricing. Also, I agree some advertising for Panzer Corps could help sales a bit too. I try to tell my friends how great the game is, but if I didn't accidentally run into this game I never would have found out about it.

Does Panzer Corps have a Facebook page or Twitter account? I'd fully be willing to share an ad or two some time if it did to give support.

Canuck
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Canuck » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:04 pm

The DLC isn't exactly overpriced per say but if the campaign expansions were 99 cents then Slitherine would be getting more money from me then they will be at the current price. And since stock is unlimited, why not try to get as many sales as possible?
My biggest concern is that the game looks like absolute crap on the iPad. Is there no chance of getting retina graphics? The game looks awful zoomed up and mediocre at the normal zoom setting.

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Emoni wrote:Tarrak, I agree that Panzer Corps is a great game, but for all the DLC (whether an option or not) $60 on top of the main game is rather high. I know the arguments and that they are good value, but you won't find many games where the DLC and extra content is 300% higher than the base game.

Even as a huge fan, I can't help but feel the pricing model is a bit off. But still, I love the game. In the DLc ever was half off, I'm certain I'd buy it all. $60 for the combo, or more seperately, is hard for even a fan to justify. Especially with today's competitive pricing for equally great games ( but this doesn't downplay the greatness if Panzer Corps, don't get me wrong).
PC is not like the usual games when it comes to DLC. What you usually get out of a DLC for other games are just minor things like a few more units or some cosmetical items or a few scenarios at best. The PC base game has 26 scenarios. The DLCs have around 15 each. This means you get 2/3 of the original content in each DLC. Afrika Korps and Allied Corps aren't event officially called DLC they are called expansions. They bring around 25 scenarios and some new multiplayer maps each and a lot of new units. Granted you get the new units from AK and AC for free as a patch but thats again something rather rare in nowadays gaming. Usually you would have to pay for it. Slitherine is even so kind to make the expansions standalone so you don't need to buy the base game to play them. I know it doesn't work like that on steam but this is due to steam limitations and not because of Slitherine's decision. All in all i think this is more then fair. Slitherine could charge twice or three times the money for the base game and reduce the prices of the expansions and DLCs accordingly so it would look better in relation but personally i think this would be bad. So you can access the game relatively cheap and see if you like it and then if you want you can buy the additional content you want.
Please don't take offense though, the game is still amazing, and I'm sure the DLC are great too. I'm simply talking about the pricing. Also, I agree some advertising for Panzer Corps could help sales a bit too. I try to tell my friends how great the game is, but if I didn't accidentally run into this game I never would have found out about it.#
No worries i am not offended by your opinion at all. You are presenting it in a proper manner backed by arguments. I may not agree with you but we can have a good discussion about it and isn't that what a forum is for? :)
Does Panzer Corps have a Facebook page or Twitter account? I'd fully be willing to share an ad or two some time if it did to give support.
I am not sure about this one. I am not much of a social media person myself.

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Canuck wrote:The DLC isn't exactly overpriced per say but if the campaign expansions were 99 cents then Slitherine would be getting more money from me then they will be at the current price. And since stock is unlimited, why not try to get as many sales as possible?
You need to keep in mind that market for turn based wargames is limited. This type of game simply do not appeal to the broad audience. If you sell 100.000 copies for 4 Euro you still gain more then if you sell 300.000 for 99 Cent. Of course my numbers are pulled out of thin air so you may be even right that they would earn more but at least for me personally stuff sold to cheap seems suspicious. It just adds the "junk" tag to it kind of.

aster
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by aster » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Canuck wrote:My biggest concern is that the game looks like absolute crap on the iPad. Is there no chance of getting retina graphics? The game looks awful zoomed up and mediocre at the normal zoom setting.
Yes, despite it being one of the deeper strategy games available for iPad (which is more about the quality of competition than PC itself) IMO the port isn't as good as it first appears. There's obviously the oft-mentioned (but undocumented) missing features, but visually it's inexplicably a step down too. I didn't realize this till I downloaded the PC demo just for kicks and saw how much better the graphics are - aside from the iPad unit pixellation, the PC version's terrain is just much better rendered. It's actually to the point that the battlefield is easier to digest/visualize and much more immersive, especially with the slight perspective of the elevated terrains (the iPad perspective being strictly flat).

My advice is for iPad users to not download the PC demo, so you're not aware of the inferiority here! The thing that gets me is that the iPad easily has the resolution and hardware to handle it, so why the step down? Just another facet to the impression that this port was "lazy".

Again, I wouldn't even be voicing these complaints except that the iPad version is the exact same price as the PC despite being inferior (conveniently omitted from official docs) in multiple ways - manual/library, difficulty customization, combat stats, total lack of modding and custom scenarios (!!!), and a noticeable step down in visual quality. It's almost as if the main devs of the PC version told the iPad team "meh, that's good enough, let's call it a day and see if folks will pay full price". Not a great way to build customer trust.

Emoni
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Emoni » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 am

I dunno... The iPad version isn't perfect and has some bugs and a few minor missing features, but it is pretty damn well done I feel. You seem kind of exaggerating things a tad.

aster
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by aster » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Yep, maybe I should have reiterated more that I think it's still a good game. It's the "We'll call it done & move on to other projects" while still charging full price that I don't get. Really the inability to use mods alone - not including the other omissions - should have been worth a price reduction. I'd call that more than a "minor" missing feature.

Ultimately having (mostly) full-featured strategy games for tablets is brand new territory, so developers are still figuring out the nuances of porting such things to a new platform and their price points vs PC versions. IMO because this is still an early niche it's important for us consumers to be pretty direct about feedback and our expectations going forward, hence my harping on it.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:23 pm

In terms of the visuals, any reduction in apparent quality is down to the limited memory (or more accurately USABLE memory) on iOS devices. There isn't really any other way to squeeze a full sized PC game on to a tablet. Personally I don't see any issues with the visuals, but it perhaps depends on the resolution you play at on the PC.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

NumberOneBSUFan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NumberOneBSUFan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:In terms of the visuals, any reduction in apparent quality is down to the limited memory (or more accurately USABLE memory) on iOS devices. There isn't really any other way to squeeze a full sized PC game on to a tablet. Personally I don't see any issues with the visuals, but it perhaps depends on the resolution you play at on the PC.

Cheers

Pip
I don't really see any issues with the game at all. One of the best games on the App Store in my opinion. I also don't feel like the expansions are overpriced. With what you get out of each expansion, I'd have to say its a steal.

Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 pm

I have a question about the expansions for the iPad version, particularly Allied Corps--on the PC, these are standalone, but on the iPad, they are in-app purchases...so when you purchase them, are they separate from the original? Or are they part of Panzer Corps?
I ask because I have limited space on my iPad and after I complete the original campaign, it would be nice to uninstall it and then play Allied Corps.

NumberOneBSUFan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NumberOneBSUFan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:23 am

Darrell999 wrote:I have a question about the expansions for the iPad version, particularly Allied Corps--on the PC, these are standalone, but on the iPad, they are in-app purchases...so when you purchase them, are they separate from the original? Or are they part of Panzer Corps?
I ask because I have limited space on my iPad and after I complete the original campaign, it would be nice to uninstall it and then play Allied Corps.
Allies Corps is not a standalone. It is available as an IAP within the game's store.

Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:58 am

Thanks, #1BSUF. Do you know how much space Allied Corps takes?

struppo
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by struppo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:30 am

Hello
i am a great fan of the game and would be very happy, if the price for the Africa and Allied corps would drop in price as well, as the game itsself.
Struppo

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Darrell999 wrote:Thanks, #1BSUF. Do you know how much space Allied Corps takes?
Even if you don't own/install all expansions, you get all the files. When installing an x-pack, it saves a 'key' type file that allows you to use the expansion in question.

The total game seems to be 1-1.5 GB at the moment, but this is subject to change with the next patch.

- BNC
Creator of American Civil War mod for Strategic Command WWI!
Discuss here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504986
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tj4t11z3ttl142w/SCACW.zip/file

Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Great! Thanks, BNC!

Emoni
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Emoni » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Yeah, I also wish that Allied Corps and Afrika Corps were half off. At least Allied Corps. It's Iike the nazi's get a discount, but the Allies... FULL PRICE! (Mostly joking, but is kind of odd if you think about it :D)

Return to “Panzer Corps”