iPad Disappointment

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

BadP
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

iPad Disappointment

Post by BadP »

Hi there,

I recently bought the iPad version of this game and I'm sorry to say that I'm fairly disappointed. The game manual available through the in-game menu is for the PC version, and mentions game features that are simply not available for the iPad: combat predictions and log. To me, this is a major omission for a game that centers around combat tactics. I understand that a lot is not documented in the manual, and I'm willing to accept this and come here to learn more from other players in the forums. I'm also willing to invest time to learn to play (and enjoy!) what looks like a terrific game, but without these tools I can't begin to understand what is happening in combat. Also some crucial info is missing from the library.

I apologize if this sounds a bit harsh, but to me it's not OK to pay the same price as the PC version and have a crippled product. I can gather that these issues were raised almost a year ago in this forum, but unfortunately they were ignored by the team.

Sorry, I really wanted to love this game... :-(
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: iPad Disappointment

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

BadP wrote:features that are simply not available for the iPad: combat predictions and log.
The I Pad doesn't have combat predictions ?! :shock: :o I must say that is quite silly, seeing as I see those as very important (Though occasionally I will do things 4/1 against me!)

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

Yes the features that are missing are a bit of a disappointment and we can't have advance difficulty on ipad as well.
Just a note the price of the ipad version is cheaper then the PC version
BadP

Post by BadP »

best75 wrote:Just a note the price of the ipad version is cheaper then the PC version
Not right now... Both are priced at 10$.
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

Ah you are right , I always thought the price was the PC was more then the ios version.
Right now the sale on the ipad version has ended so the ios version costs more then the PC version right now.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

For what it's worth, predicted casualties are in the iPad game, just not the combat log. I agree it is disappointing, and I am sad that PC is currently a dead game (not actively being updated). However, I've lived through this before- Panzer General was abandonware for a decade before the current team freshened it up (thanks so much!). I guess it's just too nerdy of a game to ever be a commercial success? It would be nice to see development turned over to the community at some point.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Huh? PzC has had literally years of updates, patches, and new content. The fact that the team is now focused on other games (as really has to happen at some point with any game) hardly makes it a dead game. PzC has been a huge commercial and critical success. Frankly I have no idea what you are talking about :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
BadP

Post by BadP »

Hi Pip,

So can we expect the addition of the combat prediction (not just the summary beside the strength plates) and combat log in the near future, if the game is not dead yet? It has been requested a few times in the last year...
proline

Post by proline »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Huh? PzC has had literally years of updates, patches, and new content. The fact that the team is now focused on other games (as really has to happen at some point with any game) hardly makes it a dead game. PzC has been a huge commercial and critical success. Frankly I have no idea what you are talking about :)

Cheers

Pip
Sorry Pip, but if PC was a huge commercial success you'd have updated the iPad version since March, you'd have fixed the prestige cap bug (which is probably a one-line fix), you'd have brough the iPad app to feature parity, you'd have made a Mac version, you'd have created an AI that isn't dumber than a sack of hammers, and you'd be willing to hire someone to get the Soviet Corps expansion moving along. Clearly, you believe not only that your time is better spent elsewhere, but also that it's not worth the time, money, and energy to hire a dedicated PC programmer (and yes I know it would be a lot of work to bring a new person on, so I don't blame you for not doing that, especially if the financial reward at the end of the day isn't there). Now I wouldn't know whether this is because PC lost money or you just figure that it made all the money it's going to.

Again, I don't mean to sound critical of Slitherine at all. I am 100% appreciative of the refresh you have given Panzer General, it was well worth the wait! I am most thankful for your "years of updates, patches, and new content". And I don't blame you for deciding to focus elsewhere- you have every right to decide how to spend your time and money. But let's call a spade a spade, a game that is not being actively developed or even getting simple bug fixes is a dead game. And yes, I know this happens to every game, again, this is not a criticism.
jaggy
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by jaggy »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Huh? PzC has had literally years of updates, patches, and new content. The fact that the team is now focused on other games (as really has to happen at some point with any game) hardly makes it a dead game. PzC has been a huge commercial and critical success. Frankly I have no idea what you are talking about :)
Pip, oh really? Slitherine's last release was Allied Corps and that was in 2013. uran21 started a Soviet Corps "New Units Suggestion" thread in 14 Nov 2013 and I started a thread on Soviet Corps in 2 Jan 2013. Guess what is the current year right now? That's right, we are at tail end of 2014 and going into 2015. Its not a "dead game"? But here is Slitherine making vague noises over a Mac port but they don't want to say they are definitely not porting it. PZC is so bloody successful that apart from Allied Corps in 2013, gamers had to be content with player-made mods (not that I'm dissing their efforts) for 2014?

proline is correct, Slitherine does treat Panzer Corps as though its a dead game and I don't need to repeat his points because he's nailed them down accurately. Just look at the post dates on your Panzer Corps Open Beta, pip, to see the sorry state of affairs and it will help if you remove rose-tinted glasses while you are at it. You don't need to get defensive about whether Panzer Corps is successful or not, just get off your posteriors, cap the self-praise and get on with Soviet Corps! Or is there some other new game being developed that is going to stall this DLC? *Rant off*
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

Rest assured, PzC is not a dead game ;) ... from somebody who signed a PzC contract with Slitherine :twisted:
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

nikivdd wrote:Rest assured, PzC is not a dead game ;) ... from somebody who signed a PzC contract with Slitherine :twisted:
And stole my unique forum icon in the process. Jerk. :mrgreen:
I look forward to testing that content someday.
BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Kerensky wrote:
nikivdd wrote:Rest assured, PzC is not a dead game ;) ... from somebody who signed a PzC contract with Slitherine :twisted:
And stole my unique forum icon in the process. Jerk. :mrgreen:
I want tht icon as well! :D

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
proline

Post by proline »

Glad to hear it. How much of your time do you personally spend on PzC compared to other games and what are you up to? When do you expect to have programmer help? When do you foresee new content and bug fixes being announced or delivered? When will you be getting a Slitherine avatar that reflects your contract with them?
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

How much of your time do you personally spend on PzC compared to other games and what are you up to? When do you expect to have programmer help? When do you foresee new content and bug fixes being announced or delivered? When will you be getting a Slitherine avatar that reflects your contract with them?
I have been mostly playing PzC since its release; besides PzC i also like to play Pharaoh/Cleopatra (citybuilder) and Civ V. Besides "fiddling" with the scenario editor, i also have a full time job. Besides family quality time, i try to continue working on a project 1-2 hours per day, somewhat more in the weekend.

I am in close contact with the main PzC programmer to send him development screenshots and any technical (=the last grey areas of the scenario editor) questions i might have.

My first official project took me four months to complete, most urgent bug fixes are done internally before it hits the beta stage. Any official announcements are done by Slitherine. My best guess is, that could be as soon Rudankort waved his wand over the files.

I got the current avatar per request after i placed my signature.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The team that made Panzer Corps was 1 programmer, 1 designer and the art team. They are the same team that are the core of Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon. New people have been added to the team but Armageddon needed everyone to get it done. Now it is done the team is going to split in two to maintain both games and more people are being added.

The team was so small it could not be split and could not be added to. Having 1 person training up new members would have taken the entire team! Scaling a team is very hard even when larger but with these small teams its almost impossible without stopping what you are doing. Things are now much more structured for the future so we hope to be able to do both going forwards and not have to choose.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

I think I know what Iain looks like IRL now. Something about the way he talked about having to choose.... I bet this is what he looks like!

Return to “Panzer Corps”