Favorite tank topic

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: Favorite tank topic

Post by ThvN »

Yes it does, it is the last available Panzer III model, just before the Tiger I is introduced. It costs 13pr more than the IIIL and is very tough, +2 GD, +1 CD and +1 HA, making the GD/CD even higher than the Panzer IVG. So if you don't have any prestige to upgrade into Tigers but you need a bit more anti-armour capability it is worth looking at. The N does not like armoured clashes in open terrain.

The III is a bit of a difficult tank to like for me, it heavily depends on the model/timeframe. The best models for me are the G and N versions. BTW, the Panzer IIIE cannot be purchased, the first available model for most is the IIIF.

In the early Blitzkrieg scenarios, the IIIG is the best tank overall (the Panzer IVD is still quite weak), but when the IIIH is introduced you also have the IVE, and from that moment on the Panzer IV slowly takes the lead while the Panzer III starts lagging behind; the IIIJ model is barely an upgrade. And in Afrika, the low fuel of the III starts to get really annoying! The N is a good upgrade because hunting armour with III's starts getting risky and the N allows it to focus on a different role, keeping it useful until the Tiger comes out and you can finally start upgrading them.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I am finally at a point where I can upgrade to Pz3M, but I do not think I want to upgrade either one of my SE Pz3's to them.

I was thinking of doing one of them but I think their current anti soft target role is where they are best suited.

Thoughts?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Stephen1024
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Stephen1024 »

Favourite German tank got be panther D for me.

Favourite tank fantasy WW2 British Centurion, I love to see how they stand against german armour. Should do well as it is classed as the best post war tank. I am an Englishman. Few prototypes arrived in Europe little late to see combat in WW2.

Hi Goose2

I guessing your doing 43 campaign as I am currently doing. I love the IIIN, great tank especially in 42 and for Stalingrad, I find that 43 you have lot tank combat so yes for me think its worth upgrading to IIIM. Also it helps off set the experience Russians have now in 43. IVG starting need upgrade itself, I personally don't do all tigers, so balance of tigers, IVG and IIIM Couple of captured KV-1B's to counter the Russians works best. (soft cap rules tigers are all SE, non soft cap I upgrade which ever tanks have +1 movement) Infantry now 43 so they are perfect for infantry warfare, KV-1B funny against infantry, as long as no close combat. :twisted:

If I do heavier AT play then yes I leave half my IIIN as N and upgrade half to M. There is 43 choice that more infantry friendly, which if I take that path I keep more then half as IIIN.

So for me it's depends what I thinking doing, what I think will be most efficient.
funat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by funat »

I must agree for the PzII Panzerflamm. I use it as special forces for cleaning up close terrain with the SP artys and tanks on the flanks. I use it to the end and protect it carefully.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Goose_2,
You can upgrade (?) to a cheaper model within the same upgrade series for free, and since the difference between 3M and 3N is only a few prestige you can change between models to suit each scenario for minimal cost.

My current favourite tanks include Centurion, and the British and French inter-war tanks - Vickers Independent, Vickers Mark 2 and Mark 3, and the Char 2C. Where the Centurion was a really good tank, the others are great examples of people trying out things that sounded like a good idea at the time using technology that wasn't quite up to the job.
edahl1980
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by edahl1980 »

Favorite tanks depend on heroes.
Tanks with +1 movement become tigers, those without become panthers.
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

TigerIII wrote:Favorite tanks depend on heroes.
Tanks with +1 movement become tigers, those without become panthers.
I agree... +1 def become panthers as well. The Pz.IIIM and IVG are great... But the favorite is of course the best overall, which can only be the tanks with +1 movement Tiger II...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I have just been granted the Pz4 F/2 by my number of posts.

Is it me or is the Pz4G not the best Pz4 out there?

It was the only thing I could use against enemy armor for many scenarios, that and my captured KV-2's.

Just finished Campaign '42 this weekend, that last scenario was a killer. :oops:
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I see that now it is official I am driving one of these Panther's.

Panther's are not my favorite tank in the game, in fact if memory serves me correct I lost 3 good Panther's in my Grand Campaign.

I could get them easily stuck out in the front of the lines to then get isolated and whacked by the enemy, where as my Tiger's would be left alone until about the end of 4 into 45 when the only thing that seemed to still intimidate the ai were my Tiger 2's.

I think I am just not using my Panther's correct or maybe that is other players experience and it is just wiser to utilize the Tiger tanks which are available around the same time period.

Thoughts?
goose_2

shawkhan2

Post by shawkhan2 »

Personally, I buy Panthers when I have a unit with a hero bonus of at least +2 Defense.
I like to give Tigers to units with attack heroes
Tiger IIs I like to reserve for units with movement heroes.
Works for me
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I'm not quite sure about favourite, but the Panzer IVH is surprisingly useful. If short of prestige, or you want to wait until Tiger 2 or the right model of Panther is available, or if you are at 14 strength and don't want to waste the prestige you paid for the overstrength until nature and bad luck take their course and knock of a few points, they provide enough of an improvement to be useful at a (relatively) bargain rate.

But otherwise, Churchill Crocodile is still one of the best compromises between durability and offense as long as you have at least one 5* strategic bomber to cripple any big cats and tank hunters.
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

goose_2 wrote:This topic is coming up because I have been promoted/demoted from my Pz 1a to a recon and will be stuck in this on my post ranking for quite a while because i am not going to spam post on these threads.
He-he, is there a little dig at a certain spammer there :lol:

Although the King Tigers are very powerful, that in itself reduces their appeal. My favourites are the Panzer IVs, because I always found them pretty cool. I saw one as a young lad at a tank museum and as a wargaming youngster had several Airfix Panzer IVs. A good all-rounder.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I am just super excited about this upcoming tournament, but before we get to that I am reopening this old thread to say I am in 41 again playing on Manstein and Guderian, but it is on the Manstein that I have grown to love a certain tank.

Back in 39 I trained up 2 Pz2C's on Manstein to have 1 and the other 2 stars. (This was difficult as Pz2C's are vulnerable targets, but in the regular game, it should be no problem to get them to 2 stars experience.

Anyway, in Russia I have updated them both to Flamm's along with Heinz Rondorf. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh BOy!!!! After I suppress a infantry unit I light it up with a Flamm. I have seen 10, 11, even 12 kills from these beasts.

I love these tanks and I want to see what they can do when I get them overstrengthened to 15 in later years, I know they are no good versus tanks 43 on, but I want to keep at least 1 or 2 of them to blow fire on troops in the later stages of the war.

So much fun to watch them get lit up and hear that BIG BOOM!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :P
goose_2

proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

goose_2 wrote:Anyway, in Russia I have updated them both to Flamm's along with Heinz Rondorf. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh BOy!!!! After I suppress a infantry unit I light it up with a Flamm. I have seen 10, 11, even 12 kills from these beasts
Um, didn't I tell you the flamm broiler is the best tank in the game over two years ago, in the second post of this very thread? Glad you finally tried them.
goose_2 wrote:I love these tanks and I want to see what they can do when I get them overstrengthened to 15 in later years
I wouldn't do that. With the kind of work the flamms do, it is impossible to keep them from taking any damage and that 15th point of strength costs a ton of money. Most cost effective is to start them at 11.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

proline wrote:
goose_2 wrote:Anyway, in Russia I have updated them both to Flamm's along with Heinz Rondorf. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh BOy!!!! After I suppress a infantry unit I light it up with a Flamm. I have seen 10, 11, even 12 kills from these beasts
Um, didn't I tell you the flamm broiler is the best tank in the game over two years ago, in the second post of this very thread? Glad you finally tried them.
goose_2 wrote:I love these tanks and I want to see what they can do when I get them overstrengthened to 15 in later years
I wouldn't do that. With the kind of work the flamms do, it is impossible to keep them from taking any damage and that 15th point of strength costs a ton of money. Most cost effective is to start them at 11.
I agree about the money aspect and the strangest thing is I have already started hitting soft cap mildly in 41 so I should really stop os my Flamm's, but I cannot seem to help myself, love that BIG BOOM!!!

12 kills one strike, who can beat that, other than Rudel who is an absolute beast
goose_2

proline

Post by proline »

The flame thrower T-34 variant they added with Soviet Corps is damn good too btw. More rugged than the flamm.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

proline wrote:The flame thrower T-34 variant they added with Soviet Corps is damn good too btw. More rugged than the flamm.
It is a nice addition that I use in MP ;)
goose_2

thewhitewhale
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by thewhitewhale »

This goes beyond in-game mechanics (though I love using them as mobile, armoured tankbuster units), but the Panther Ausf. D is my favourite WW2 tank in terms of design. Though if I'm playing to win I'll usually use the Ausf A over the D just for the extra bit of fuel and ability to defend against plane attacks.

I've got a Panther Ausf. D model, hand-painted and with decals to match the tanks in the 5th Panzer Dv 'Wiking' during the Eastern Front winter battles of '43/'44, on the desk of my office here at home. Just a beautiful machine all-around - though I must admit a certain weakness for the more rounded style of design in the Panzer IVs (as well as the heavy tread armour, looks great visually) as well; just because of how different they look from most of the other German tanks of the period.
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

D's were the worst :) they broke down all the time.. 100 of them were sent to Kursk, 90% of them broke down before even getting into combat zone.. some got burned down due to engine failures

Overall, one of the biggest shortcomings of this game is the fact it doesn't reflect the mechanical reliability in any way.. Mechanical reliability played huge strategic role, which gave more importance to more reliable, but less combat effective vehicles, where in PC, you are always using the strongest vehicle no matter what.. I guess not that many players would use Panthers as their main tank if it got broken after 50km dash on a road, as it commonly did in reality.. German tankers preferred Panzer 4 because of it just didnt require so much attention and maintenance..
thewhitewhale

Post by thewhitewhale »

D's were the worst :) they broke down all the time.. 100 of them were sent to Kursk, 90% of them broke down before even getting into combat zone.. some got burned down due to engine failures
It is a shame that the late-war breakdown in reliability standards and poor operational planning ruined what is, aesthetically, a beautiful piece of machinery.

Then again, by that point in the war, with the stranglehold on resources starting to take it's toll and poor decisions being made all around, it's hardly a surprise. :D

Plenty of other games handle the logistics and reliability of equipment issues more in-depth, I love the relative simplicity of Panzer Corps in that regard for quick games and balanced multiplayer - but I've got a pretty sizeable library of wargames for when I do want a more authentic experience.

Return to “Panzer Corps”