1939-1945 GC Mega Pack balance?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

SchDerGrosse
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

1939-1945 GC Mega Pack balance?

Post by SchDerGrosse » Mon May 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Hello there,

As the title says, Iam asking about the Grand Campaign Mega Pack game balance.

More precisely has the RP points gain been tailored to the new structure of the campaign (100+ linked scenarios)?

I would want to avoid the situation where Iam literary swimming in requisition halfway through the game. I was planning on playing on the default (challenging) difficulty.

Thanks for the insight,
SDG

JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: 1939-1945 GC Mega Pack balance?

Post by JaM2013 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 pm

it greatly depends on playstyle.. you can swim in RP points if you play clever, or you might struggle even replenishing units, losing some each scenario... had both experiences recently..

SchDerGrosse

Post by SchDerGrosse » Mon May 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks for the answer.

Though my question still stands, did the devs tailor the RP gain to the fact that you have the ability to build up an army through dozens of missions and thus becoming more and more effective as the game progresses, resulting in even fewer losses, so less points needed to reinforce.. And the circle continues.

Havin tons of RP and super elite demigod units at around mission 50, would really suck the fun out of the rest of the campaign.

TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:48 pm

ShcDerGrosse - I am on another go-around on the colonel level of the grand campaign. I've never made it all the way to the end of the campaign with loads of prestige & super units. Things start to turn for me around Stalingrad (how fitting perhaps) where my prestige level plateaus & then starts to decline. Part of the problem is the better Soviet units & the increasingly expensive German units. So far, I've had entirely the opposite experience - somewhere in '43 things start to go downhill & the game takes on an increasing frustrating feel. Yeah, I may make it through a scenario with a MV, but, my core will be decimated & I will be unable to replace the losses... I don't know if this is what the devs had in mind or not.

But then, it may just be that I'm a lousy player! Stay tuned & good luck.

boredatwork
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by boredatwork » Mon May 04, 2015 10:13 pm

SchDerGrosse wrote: More precisely has the RP points gain been tailored to the new structure of the campaign (100+ linked scenarios)?

I would want to avoid the situation where Iam literary swimming in requisition halfway through the game. I was planning on playing on the default (challenging) difficulty.
The short answer is, unless you're prepared to adjust the game so it meets your play style, then no.

It is an impossibility to balance player chosen core forces which can vary so extremely in scenarios with *fixed* premade opposition. Nor is difficulty necessarily consistent. You may find yourself swimming in prestige midway through giving the illusion the campaign is too easy, only to discover too late that you hadn't saved enough to tackle some of the later scenarios which burn through prestige at a greater rate than it's acquired.

*HOWEVER* that doesn't necessarily make the game unplayable. What they did do (after much prodding) was give players the ability to adjust difficulty between scenarios. Starting to get to easy? Give the AI bonuses in Experience, Prestige, and/or Strength and it WILL be able to hurt you. Starting to get too hard? Lower the difficulty to something more enjoyable. Discover in 1944 that you didn't save enough in 1942 to make it through to 1945? Use the cheat codes to give you more prestige then see if you can pay back the "loan" over the rest of the game.

Hanny
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Hanny » Tue May 05, 2015 11:45 am

SchDerGrosse wrote:Hello there,

As the title says, Iam asking about the Grand Campaign Mega Pack game balance.

More precisely has the RP points gain been tailored to the new structure of the campaign (100+ linked scenarios)?

Thanks for the insight,
SDG
My experience is yes, ( but im newish to the mega camapign, having played 39 start to finish 7-9 times, and first 4 of 40 3 times, restarting so as to explore differnt paths concepts etc), because the player has the options to set/change during play many parameters so as to increase the perception of difficulty without changing his play style, now if you also adjust that play style, ie play to lose a scn and concentrate on buffing exp levels of a stock of units you *think* you may need next year, rather than use close to maxed out exp units to get another win. Which is what my latest play through has become, a core of 30/2 **/*** exp units by end of 39, with 2500 in the bank on FM level.

I would recomend FM level btw, as it is the most rewarding game experience for PR pay, you get what you earn rather than just getting it given to you.

Scholomancer
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Scholomancer » Wed May 06, 2015 11:07 pm

Yes, they mimic the rise and fall of the 3rd Reich in terms of RP availability and force deployments.

From 1939 up to the Kursk campaign you do whatever you can to gather RPs to expand and upgrade your forces. Lots of capturable equipment, lots of victory RPs. After that the focus is to conserve.

In the Eastern DLCs, in the summer 43 Kurk campaign the RP tap becomes a trickle, and whatever RP you go into Kursk is what you'll have to conserve for the rest of the game. There are a few opportunities for in-scenario bonuses like captured equipment to disband, but you do not get nearly as much victory RPs in 43-45 than you do in 39-42. In addition, after Kursk you are mostly on the defensive so the extra RPs for conquering cities and victory hexes are no longer there.

There is a scenario that reflects the new economy - Poltava - that allows you to capture a lot of AA units. This gives you the opportunity to focus on cheaper AA units instead of an expensive airforce (if you haven't before). That or you get lots of RP when you disband the AA units.

In addition, the 44 and 45 scenarios also limit the number of core units you can deploy. I believe in 1942 it was roughly 45-60 and in 1944 and 45 it is more like 35-40. The opforce is usually 3-4 times the size of your force. The Russians in particular have more and heavier armour and their artillery is motorized, which is an ingame mechanic to help the Russian AI move it's artillery up.

I've found it to be enough to repair your units and perhaps upgrade a tank if you were careful. I've also had to restart DLCs because I made too many mistakes and exhausted my RPs into the opposite cycle - too many damaged or outdated troops and not enough RPs to fix the mess.

With that said, your concerns are justified for the 43-45 Western DLCs - even with a 18-25 unit deployment limit your heavy tanks and jet-fighters can smash anything the Allies can throw at you with extremely little losses. The Western super-tanks and jet fighters are too few and come too late to make any difference. To make it challenging you have to "stop" yourself from buying Tigers and Panthers and jets, something I couldn't prevent myself from doing if they were available.

Imarion
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Imarion » Sat May 16, 2015 3:08 pm

I have just finished GC41 (having played the other 2 before). I play on the 3rd difficulty (colonel I think) and get a DV for each scenario (I replay if I do not manage the 1st time).
I can't judge for the followup, but to give you an idea, I started GC41 with 10k and finished with 18k, buying new stuff and upgrades in the run.

So until here that is fine :)

Imarion

Philwd

Post by Philwd » Sat May 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Mind you my last play through was on Field Marshal but I had a ton of prestige in early '43; over 45k. By the end of the last battle in '45 I had 200. The prestige soft cap rules really start to reduce your awards in mid '42. After that you are basically living off your built up reserve. I was losing 2-3K prestige on every fight after mid -'43.

simcc

Post by simcc » Mon May 25, 2015 6:20 am

It's balance to me. If you use elite force you will ran out of money in Russia so balance is needed

Return to “Panzer Corps”