Am I screwed?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Am I screwed?

Post by ptje63 »

NotOneStepBack wrote:At Narvik, this is proving to be quick economical. I have 10k prestige before I start and all of my units in reserve are:

2x grenadiers (starting wehrmacht upgraded)
2x paratroopers
3x alpine infantry
1x pioneer
1x PZ IA (starting tank)
1x PZ 38 (picked it up free in one scenario)
1x SE PZ IIIF
2x Recon
1x Panzerjager
1x 3.7 pak
7x 10.5 cm art
1x captured 105mm arty
2x 8.8 AT/AA
2x BF 109
1x BF 110C (free unit)
2x HE 111

It is MUCH more economical to have a lot of arty, suppress, surround and surrender. Any suppression before any attack saves you lots of prestige. I also have never used elite replacements yet. I might not, but I doubt that would stand through Russia.
Enough arty, would stick with 2 He.11, but get +1 110C and definately start getting Me.109s!!
This way they start building up experience...
NotOneStepBack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NotOneStepBack »

I'm nearing the end of 1940 now, and I have 18k prestige. I did get a JU 88A at Dunkirk. I haven't tried the figher/bomber route in the past, but the free BF 110C has proven its worth. The reason for so much artillery is that I think it is necessary through Russia to counter the massive tank and conscript rushes thrown at you. Those artillery are now 15cm guns. I won't be getting more, but they are saving you prestige in the end via suppression.
robman
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by robman »

ptje63 is right: if you want to be able to field fighters when you need them later on, it would be a good idea to buy two or three more 109s, and start rotating them so that each one gains a star or two in experience. Later in the war, inexperienced fighters tend to have a very short lifespan, so a small investment now may save you grief later on.
NotOneStepBack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Progress...

Start of Dijon 1940 (17.7k Prestige)

Units in reserve:
3x Grenadier (one is +1 attack, one +1 defense, one is +1 initiative)
4x paratroopers (one is +4 movement, +3 initiative, amazing unit)
1x alpine infantry with +1 defense hero
1x pioneer
6x PZIV D (two are +1 def, one is +1 init, one is +2 attack +2 def +2 spotting, one is +1 spotting)
1x captured Matilda
1x captured Char
1x captured Somua
1x SE PZ IVD with +1 init hero
2x recon
1x pak 3.7
1x panzerjager
6x 15cm artillery (+2 attack on one, +1 defense on one, +1 range on one)
3x 8.8 AT/AA, one has a +1 spotting
3x BF109E one with +2 attack +2 initiative and +1 def
1x BF110D with +1 attack and +6 initiative
3x JU88A
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

The Mathilda and Somua, along with a KV-1 which can be captured later on, can go a long way. Especially if some AT hero. I upgraded them to Tigers when available.
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

I'd upgrade Pak37 to Panzerjager. Mobile advantages far more important.
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

Is it correct you only have 1 SE unit? Pz.IVD?
TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 »

ptje63 wrote:Is it correct you only have 1 SE unit? Pz.IVD?
That's entirely possible - especially if you disband SE infantry units in favor of tanks.
NotOneStepBack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Just one, yep. I disbanded the SE infantry I keep getting.
NotOneStepBack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NotOneStepBack »

ptje63 wrote:The Mathilda and Somua, along with a KV-1 which can be captured later on, can go a long way. Especially if some AT hero. I upgraded them to Tigers when available.
What about the Char? Seems worthless, I might sell it.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

NotOneStepBack wrote:
ptje63 wrote:The Mathilda and Somua, along with a KV-1 which can be captured later on, can go a long way. Especially if some AT hero. I upgraded them to Tigers when available.
What about the Char? Seems worthless, I might sell it.
Yeah I save them all in the early campaigns '39-'41 and work to see if I get a decent hero on any of them so I can upgrade them to something great later.
Example:
Somua has a +1 Movement hero with close to 3 stars experience that I will be upgrading to King Tiger when I get there.
2 CharB's succeeded at getting 2 stars and +1 initiative heros that I will be upgrading to Tigers probably.

I basically utilize some novice units in the early campaign so I can absorb some losses later when it becomes inevitable.

Right now in '42 campaign, I am trying to build up units to get 2 heroes and then substituting in other units. Except my double heroed Uber Rudel Bomber and Heinrich Bar as I am using them to achieve the 100 kills for tanks and aircraft steam achievement. I may still bring in my double heroed Oleh Dir and Heinz Rondorf as it is Stalingrad Docks and feel I need these for city fighting, but not sure as I would like to concentrate on other units and may by additional green inf units to increase my infantry core units. I am at 12 right now, most with 3 stars.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

NotOneStepBack wrote:What about the Char? Seems worthless
Don't knock the Char B1. It has SA 8, and better armour than everything except the KVs and Matilda until the Panzer IV G arrives. Great against soft targets in the open and most suppressed soft targets where the so-so initiative doesn't matter. Great for blocking or pinning other units by sitting next to them, as the high armour makes the AI reluctant to attack even if your poor HA means you hold fire until something with a real gun arrives. Last play through I kept them until late 42 when I replaced them with KV1Cs which have the same speed but better everything else, but I've used them well into 1943 in the past with reasonable success.

For me it's the S35 that becomes obsolete almost as soon as you leave France.
NotOneStepBack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NotOneStepBack »

What was interesting last night was the Maginot line. I went with all infantry, artillery, strat bomber and recon deployment. Crushed that scenario in record time. I know this is gonna be the tactics needed for Stalingrad again ...leave your panzers behind in city maps!
robman

Post by robman »

NotOneStepBack wrote:What was interesting last night was the Maginot line. I went with all infantry, artillery, strat bomber and recon deployment. Crushed that scenario in record time. I know this is gonna be the tactics needed for Stalingrad again ...leave your panzers behind in city maps!
Not so fast. Armor must be kept "in the street" at all times, but it is very useful for blocking the movement of additional enemy units into the "city blocks" currently targeted for clearing, and it is also necessary to get rid of enemy armor blocking your own units' efforts to cross the street. Sure, the infantry/armor balance in Stalingrad will not be the same as in Prokhorovka, but don't leave ALL of your tanks at home. The Russians sure won't.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

robman wrote:
NotOneStepBack wrote:What was interesting last night was the Maginot line. I went with all infantry, artillery, strat bomber and recon deployment. Crushed that scenario in record time. I know this is gonna be the tactics needed for Stalingrad again ...leave your panzers behind in city maps!
Not so fast. Armor must be kept "in the street" at all times, but it is very useful for blocking the movement of additional enemy units into the "city blocks" currently targeted for clearing, and it is also necessary to get rid of enemy armor blocking your own units' efforts to cross the street. Sure, the infantry/armor balance in Stalingrad will not be the same as in Prokhorovka, but don't leave ALL of your tanks at home. The Russians sure won't.
Agreed, just monitor your close defense number. Captured KV's do fine in the city especially when backed by arty. Especially all the SE Panzers you hope to be amassing.
My Panzers came in quite handy in Stalingrad, I brought all inf and most arty I had.
I brought too many fighters, I think, I wiped out all fighters after 2nd day and did not have any more airplanes come accost me until the very end of the scenario.
Strong Bombers help as well.
#Uber Rudel is the BOSS
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Stalingrad is definitely easier if Kerscher's second hero is spotting so he has a total spotting of 5. Very handy for spotting nasty surprises in advance. It didn't prevent all operator error (bye-bye 3* mobile AA unit) but for the first time I felt under control in both Stalingrad and Docks and in both made DV without too much of a rush.
dks
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by dks »

how's the war going? what is your prestige/core now? fun reading NOSB, update us please.
NotOneStepBack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NotOneStepBack »

dks wrote:how's the war going? what is your prestige/core now? fun reading NOSB, update us please.
I am at the start of Vyazma, 27.7k prestige. I'll post my list of reserve units later, but so far, all DV's. I took the Kiev route as I never did it previously.
dks
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by dks »

NOSB: noticed @ Narvik you had no Stuka sooooo....after being totally frustrated with my lousy Stuka performance up thru Danzig Corridor playing on FM level I started the GC 39 over and sold the Stuka at Danzig deploy for a purchase of (2) He 111H2's the slots allowed me and what a difference using the suppression to advance. So far I'm happy with the choice.
NotOneStepBack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by NotOneStepBack »

dks wrote:NOSB: noticed @ Narvik you had no Stuka sooooo....after being totally frustrated with my lousy Stuka performance up thru Danzig Corridor playing on FM level I started the GC 39 over and sold the Stuka at Danzig deploy for a purchase of (2) He 111H2's the slots allowed me and what a difference using the suppression to advance. So far I'm happy with the choice.
Yes, and they are invaluable on the maps with water/ships

Return to “Panzer Corps”