Soviet Multiplayer Tournament

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Soviet Multiplayer Tournament

Post by goose_2 »

Ok Into the 2nd week in August I am halfway done with my battle with General Topgun. I have reduced him down to 3 cities for each side of the battle, but am going to have a lot of difficulty eliminating all of those units.

RAG116 and I have wrapped up our battle.
It was a draw on my German side, but a total Victory on my Russian side. :)

I see that Braccada has not joined his battles yet. I am still holding out hope that he will join the battles and be able to bust it out in the next 3 weeks.

Let me know if anyone else has any updates.

Blessings on your battles.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Okay Comrades.

The reports I have received are from Mkoki about his match up with RAG116 both ending in a draw.

The good news is the Braccada has joined the fight and is embattled with Mkoki and TopGun.

I finished my battle with TopGun both sides with Total Victory... for me...:twisted:

I would like an update on where the matches are with Braccada so I can get Round 4 set up.

Thanks for the interest and enjoyment in this great game.
goose_2

mkoki77
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by mkoki77 »

Hi, we (Braccada and me) just finished our game. With strange game settings (prestige was doubled) we came up with fighting draw in both games . Nevertheless, it was the Good game.Ready for round 4.
Attachments
Heavy armor fight
Heavy armor fight
6cc41ae78ac26aa340b37edb23904db3.jpg (195.29 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
mkoki77

Post by mkoki77 »

How the world can you beat that?
Attachments
bddac828aff557c7ba67389609f14e06.gif
bddac828aff557c7ba67389609f14e06.gif (106.25 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Whoa that is some serious hardware.

Doubling prestige certainly brings up the number of big dog units you can buy.

Ok so that makes all the reports except for TopGun and Braccada's battle to report.

Let me know so I can post final results for round 3 and set up Round 4. ;)
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok Final report is in.
Last match up between Topgun and Braccada both as a draw.

That makes the standings after Round 3 to be:

Goose = 41 pts
1 Total Annihilation (4) and 1 Draw (2) against RAG116; 2 Total Annihilations against TopGun (8)
Mkoki = 34 pts
2 Draws (4) against Braccada; 2 Draws (4) against RAG116
RAG116 = 28 pts
2 Draws (4) against Mkoki; 1 Total Loss (1) 1 Draw (2) against Goose
Braccada = 28 pts
2 Draws (4) against Mkoki; 2 Draws (4) against TopGun
TopGun = 24 pts
2 Draws (4) against Braccada; 2 Total Losses against Goose
Stephen = AWOL

Now for Round 4.
The ultimate Chess match up.
Frontline Duty (Paired game Undo Off)
Goose_2 vs Mkoki
Mkoki vs Topgun
TopGun vs RAG116
RAG116 vs Braccada
Braccada vs Goose_2

I am at work so my opponents can set them up so I can join when I get home, or I will set up when I get home.

Password
comrade

Blessings on your next match up.
I look forward to the Slitherine supported Tournament coming soon.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok what an awesome weekend for multiplayer gaming.

Mkoki and I are about 3/4's done.
I am getting brutalized as the Russians and may get completely annihilated!!! :shock: :cry: :oops: :mrgreen: :wink:

As the Germans I will survive but still probably at a loss. :evil:

Braccada and I wrapped up and man was each battle an awesome testament to each of our play style.
We were going back and forth, at one point Braccada said he got so pissed at the rolls he almost rage quit. :lol:
I am glad he didn't as the battles went down to the very last turn.
The very last turn as the Germans I took that needed 5th objective for the minor win.
His very last turn as the Germans he was able to hold off me from taking that needed 5th objective, so he had a minor win.

It was some epic back and forth that I wish we could post it on here, maybe Braccada could post it since he has that capability. (I would love to hear his analysis of this great map.)

I had a few other games with other players where it also came down to the last turn and I either one or lost based on that very last turn. (Those are the most maddening yet the most satisfying.)

Also I cannot get enough of the Battle for Stalingrad map.

So Much fun this game.

I am hoping to hear reports back from my other comrades and also Mkoki has made an awesome suggestion for a bonus 6th round for this tournament but first I would like to hear how other matches are going.

Any updates mates. :mrgreen:
goose_2

braccada
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by braccada »

Yep that was a game with a lot of twists ;) A substantial part of my Soviet forces refused combat and took weak objectives by surprise attacks in the end. My attack timing was not ideal and the makeshift defense too strong at one target. So the Germans got away with a victory nevertheless. My Germans on the other hand where forced into a defensive stance, after the northern army group had some RNG issues (Tiger and Elephant self destructing. How 6:1 odds in my favour turn into a destroyed elephant still beats me) and the front collapsed in a single turn.

Against RAG116 the battle ended with two victories for my side. Intense battles with a rather balanced deployment on my part against heavy concentration of forces on RAGs side.

Great map! Because you do not have enough units do everything and stable front lines are not always possible. That opens possibilities for schwerpunkt, delay, deceit and other strategies.
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Thanks for the report Braccada and I have your points allocated.
Here is an update from TopGun
topgun wrote:Me and rag just getting going and my and Mikoki some where around move 10, would be farther but my dad was in from vegas.
TopGun :mrgreen:
I look forward to more reports coming in.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Report from RAG116

quote="Rag116"]Braccada won both matches with a victory on each, top gun and i had a late start but are at the early stages of the game[/quote]

Thanks RAG116 for the update.

I will post it.

I hope you got an opportunity to sign on to the Slitherine Tournament as they are now full up.

That is crazy exciting.
goose_2

mkoki77

Post by mkoki77 »

Mkoki proves to be good in October :D ...two almost (decisive victories) against Goose..Somehow, the feeling is that is much easier to get triumph with Germans (no planes, elephants and slow advance , first on the south then create encirclement ...
Earned 7 points against the tournament leader.

Top Gun and me are entering the final third of the game...one game is all mine (Axis) but forecasting the other game is ungrateful thing to do (50-50 chance for both players to get minor)..I am on the south and Top gun controls the north ..battle is in the middle..turn 12
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

mkoki77 wrote:Mkoki proves to be good in October :D ...two almost (decisive victories) against Goose..Somehow, the feeling is that is much easier to get triumph with Germans (no planes, elephants and slow advance , first on the south then create encirclement ...
Earned 7 points against the tournament leader.

Top Gun and me are entering the final third of the game...one game is all mine (Axis) but forecasting the other game is ungrateful thing to do (50-50 chance for both players to get minor)..I am on the south and Top gun controls the north ..battle is in the middle..turn 12

I see Mkoki couldn't wait to post my epic a** whooping he gave me in this one.

Yes, I was soundly defeated by Mkoki and also beaten as Soviets by Braccada.

I sure have my work cut out when playing these opponents on a level playing field, but that is how I learn.
I hate to lose, but I love to learn, so there stands the tension, as it is only in losing that I truly learn.

Well that leaves needed reports from RAG116 vs TopGun / Mkoki vs TopGun left to finish up so we can move onto posting points and Round 5 set up.

Bonus Round 6 suggestion.

Mkoki suggested doing a bonus Round 6 and this would be an epic battle royal.

Here is my understanding of his suggestion and you all let me know what you think of this idea.

1st every player would choose 1 side of 1 scenario with another player that you have not played before.
So each player would have 8 single matches going at the same time.

For example:
I could chose
Goose_2 vs RAG116 as Germans in Summer Offensive
Goose_2 vs TopGun as Soviets in Ruingrad
Goose_2 vs Braccada as Soviets in Last Man Standing
Goose_2 vs Mkoki as Germans in ZIG Zag

Then I would have to accept the remaining 4 challenges issued by the other players.

Does that make sense?
Do you like the idea about doing a round 6?

Let me know your thoughts.

I look forward to the remaining reports and your thoughts on a round 6.
goose_2

mkoki77

Post by mkoki77 »

yup..thats my thoughts of finishing the tournament.
it will come down to 8 quick matches (32 points at stake) with knowledge of all maps..we should finish round 4 first (i have a game in progress as Russian against top gun , round 14), setup zig-zag (dont know the map) as usually and after that choose the opponent for bonus round (like grand finale). Each of us will send the goose the selection of games and he will post it officially.

We could finish the tournament till the NFL playoffs :))
braccada

Post by braccada »

Uh I do not think I can handle 8 games at the same time. I like the idea of a bonus round, so maybe we can find something quicker.

To be honest I even find 4 games a bit much. I do not (want to) make screenshots and take notes, so I it is hard not to get the games mixed up and I forget what I wanted to do or on which map I wanted to do it. And with response times up to serveral days the games can drag out quite a bit. At least I am in favor of a more lightweight model. The current Slitherine Tournament for example is great, because I can fokus on one game and one opponent at the same time. Does not have to be elimination style. For our small group going up against each single player is fine and more fun in my opinion.
braccada

Post by braccada »

It seems I kind of shut down the discussion. So I have another idea. How about everyone gets the chance to challenge one player and choose one of the Soviet Corps maps. Any map, it does not have to be balanced. However the challenged player gets to choose the side. So it better be balanced :)

And to make it more interesting, the challenged player has to defend his points. Points at stake are determined by position difference in the tournament. There can be the following results (example is the 4th takes on the 1st):

+ challenger minor victory = PosChallenger - PosChallenged = 4 - 1 = challenger takes 3 points from challenged
+ challenger triumph = (PosChallenger - PosChallenged) x 2 = (4 - 1) x 2 = challenger takes 6 points from challenged
+ draw = nothing happens
+ challenger minor loss = challenger loses 1 point to challenged
+ challenger major loss = (PosChallenger - PosChallenged) = 4 - 1 = challenger loses 3 points to challenged

So the idea is to reward if you mange a to beat a better ranked player. A normal loss can happen so there is a flat 1 point loss there. However while you get more points taking on players higher above you, there is risk involved, if you get completely destroyed. So as player at the bottom of the tournament table it gives the best reward to beat the leader, however the risk in case of total defeat is quite high. So it might be smarter to challenge a player more in range.

You are not allowed to challenge players below you. The leader does not challenge, but will most likely be challenged more often.

Sounds complicated, but should be quick and rather easy. What do you think?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

This seems very interesting
I will have to give this some serious thought and get other players feedback

Thanks for putting that noggin to work Braccada ;)
goose_2

mkoki77

Post by mkoki77 »

btw I like the idea of Braccada bonus round.Need serious tweaking.
we have odd number of players in the tournament so it leads to 4 matches (am i right?).How about all of the players (3rd, 4th, 5th spot) challenge the runner-up and only the second challenge the leader ? is this fair or not ? Maybe I missed essence.
Congrats both of you for advancing to semis...winner of that match will be overall winner.all prestige to that bet
braccada

Post by braccada »

Hey here are the number of games for different versions:

In my system
- the leader would have 1 to 4 games (2nd has to challenge the leader)
- the 2nd 1 to 4 games
- the 3rd 1 to 3 games
- the 4th 1 to 2 games
- the 5th 1 game

The intention is that the lower players have fewer games, but the potential to win more points. And I like the randomness and risk involved. Depending on the picks one player might have way more games than others.

A more controlled option would be everyone challenges the one directly ahead. This way the 5th player has only one game as well and not the potential to win many points. 4th on the other hand has 2 games guaranteed. That I would consider unfair by design.

in your (mkoki) system the games would be like this:
- the leader 1 game
- the 2nd 3 games
- 3rd to 5th 1 game each

Same problem. Massive difference for the 2nd player by design and not by chance.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok when it rains it pours.
Slitherine set up the Semi-Finals and it is time to set up Round 5 of the Soviet Multiplayer Tournament.

But first the Points after Round 4: (check this out)
1) Mkoki started with 34 points and ended up with 8 for 2 major victories against TopGun and 1 Major Victory (4) and 1 Minor Victory (3) against Goose_2 = 49 points total
We are tied for 1st
1) Goose_2 started at 41 points and based on 1 Minor Loss (2) and 1 Major defeat (2) from Mkoki and 1 Minor Loss (2) and 1 Minor win (3) against Braccada = 49 points total
3) RAG116 started at 28 points and based on 2 Minor defeats (4) against Braccada and 2 Major Victories against TopGun (8) = 40 points total
4) Braccada started with 28 points and based on 2 Minor victories (6) against RAG116 and 1 Minor Victory (3) and 1 Minor Loss (2) versus Goose_2 = 39 points total
5) TopGun started with 24 points and based on 4 Major losses (4) versus Mkoki and RAG116 = 28 points total

These standings are pretty close and based on the 5th Round could set up for a pretty interesting 6th bonus Round.
But first 5th Round matches.

ZIG-ZAG
(Paired game Undo Off)
Goose_2 vs RAG116
RAG116 vs Mkoki
Mkoki vs Braccada
Braccada vs TopGun
TopGun vs Goose_2

If I understand the discussion for 6th Bonus Round.
The Person who is in 1st place does not get to issue any challenges. (Wins against challenge will garner 1 additional point loss would be 0 points.)
The Person in 2nd can issue 1 challenge to the person in 1st place. Victory is for 2 bonus points or 1 point for losing.
The Person in 3rd can issue 2 challenges to either person in 1st or 2nd place. Victory for person in 2nd place 2 for victory, and for person in first place 3 for victory or 1 point for 2 losses.
The Person in 4th can issue 3 challenges to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Victory against 1st will earn 4 points, 2nd 3 points, 3rd 2 points. losses will garner 1 point
The Person in 5th can issue 4 challenges to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Victory against 1st will earn 5 points, 2nd 4 points, 3rd 3 points, and 4th 2 points. losses will garner 1 point

Does that sound right?

Let me know what you are missing.
Password will be
tournament

Blessings comrades.
goose_2

mkoki77

Post by mkoki77 »

Sorry, for delay..I accept the challenge and post new one for Braccada...good luck everyone

Return to “Panzer Corps”