AI stubberness at Kiev

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

AI stubberness at Kiev

Post by ptje63 »

KIEV.jpg
KIEV.jpg (245.69 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
GLC East, Kiev, Nov 1943. Whereas the scenario message promises me bad weather and dropping temperatures, I wait in ambush for a river to freeze over and expecting hordes of Russians to cross, at turn 21 of 22, nothing like that happens.
What does happen is what I call AI stubberness: where the IS1 is trying to cross the Dnieper River, the AI has been trying to do so in the past 15 turns. I only have to 2 or 3 Tigers waiting their turn to butcher any tank trying to cross. Whats more: in half of those turns it attacks and gets ambushed... Further north and south of the river nothing has happened for 15 turns however, the AI spends all of its time and energy in fruitless attempts...
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: AI stubberness at Kiev

Post by goose_2 »

I am confused, are you happy with this or unhappy?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 »

Yeah the AI will do this. And not just in this scenario. You can hold off quite the attacking force with a single unit, although I might recommend a second to rotate in if you run low on ammo or if you wind up with a really bad die roll. An artillery unit can act as back up and you can bombard & counterattack the unit on the bridge during your turn. Lastly, an AA or fighter unit can act as an extra layer of security. IMO the forces you show in the picture may be a bit of overkill and some of them could be used elsewhere.

This is something of a flaw in the AI it seems. Thanks to the bridge defense penalty & the lack of retreat paths, you're virtually guaranteed to be able to milk this bottleneck for prestige, experience & kills through an entire scenario. I guess as a possible remedy, the AI could be given some bridge engineers riding in some of those speedy HT's.

This is still one of my favorite scenarios. Having played it through a few times, I can say that the snow does come and the river does freeze over - sometimes. The AI will indeed cross the river, but in my experience it's been more around Kiev. The snow doesn't always last though.
DeMeza
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by DeMeza »

But is it unrealistic?
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

goose_2 wrote:I am confused, are you happy with this or unhappy?
Well - Im confused, happy to be able to withstand the Russian hordes that I was surely expecting to rush over the frozen river.
But unhappy about AI insisting to wish to cross this bridge, with at times 4-6 IS1, T34/85 and artillery waiting in the back, doing nothing.
Also not trying to cross at northern or southern crossings...
robman
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by robman »

DeMeza wrote:But is it unrealistic?
Ni shagu nazad! No doubt the game models the NKVD blocking detachments deployed right behind those frontline units.
edahl1980
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by edahl1980 »

What tank skins are those?

Return to “Panzer Corps”