How is US corps?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How is US corps?

Post by IainMcNeil »

Right now its 75% off so only $1.25 so if you're even vaguely tempted its hard to pass up!

Everything Panzer Corps related is 75% off until next Wednesday.
hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly »

IainMcNeil wrote:Right now its 75% off so only $1.25 so if you're even vaguely tempted its hard to pass up!

Everything Panzer Corps related is 75% off until next Wednesday.

Hi quick question

In Panzer Corps Gold is there any additional Features to my "Normal" Collection of of all Panzer Corps Campaigns and additional DLC ?

I want to give a good buddy of mine the great experience of enjoying the GC East 39-45 which would go for 9.99 Euro

But I would consider getting Panzer Corps Gold for 19.99 Euro if there are any exclusive Features that only come with Panzer Corps Gold and then pass my "old" DLC and serial numbers to my friend instead.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Kasserine's pretty tough. I usually go the other route, but since you're there...

There's a few clusters of auxiliaries you can use to tie up and wear down some of the enemy troops - I can't recall the town but one on the right hand edge is usually a good spot to be a nuisance. Also the cluster in the lower left can be useful if you get some support units down in time to help them out.

The others it's probably worth trying to pull them out of harm's way. Either the enemy will waste time hunting you down or you will get away for a bit and can be reinforced to be useful later on.
By now you have probably realised that Shermans are only really suited for use against soft targets and transports and for some finishing off. However, even your tank destroyers will struggle against the armour, so some well thought out defence makes good sense. Also try hard to resist the urge to counter attack until you have some idea what's out there. Being ambushed by an elite SE Panzer 4G or a tiger isn't funny, and nor is finding yourself hit by three or four tanks at once. Don't forget that your captured German recon is about as good after you have reformed it as when it's at 3*, so don't be afraid to send it out exploring - better than losing a 3* tank destroyer! \

Other than that, my strategy for stronger and more numerous enemies is to ignore the ones you can't hurt and focus on the ones you can hurt. That way you reduce the numbers (so less chance of being surrounded or cut off) and are more likely to retain enough strength to survive when the Pak75s, Tigers (if they have them then - it's been a while) and 4Gs catch you. Good luck!
JagdpanzerIV
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

bait enemy armor into rough terrain, swamp, hills, cities etc. put a juicy target next to a hill, and believe me, the tiger (or any Pz) will climb the hill to attack, then finish it off on your turn with your rangers, HW, if you can soften it before with a bomber, even better. Rangers are basically indomitable, i see no reason to buy other infantry units. They even clear minefield pretty quickly.
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

Kasserine.
Pick good defensible positions but don't go on the offensive yet. Bait the Axis armor into unfavorable terrain and pound those spearheads with bombers. You can afford to lose some of the objectives as it is too costly to defend them all. At a certain point during this mission, you will be able to go on the offensive without much hindrance and thus regain lost ground.
Good luck.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

look at the picture on turn 8, this is where you make a stand. you crush everything coming at you there. only after you go on the offensive.

GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

captainjack

Post by captainjack »

US Corps gives you some interesting challenges.

First you are facing experienced troops with relatively inexperienced ones and you probably don't have many heroes. Their infantry attacking your infantry in close terrain will cause a lot of damage, so you have to have artillery backing them or you will never survive a second attack. This is even more true once 43 infantry appear. Tanks attacking will still do decent damage, although you will at least do back to them, but artillery backup will help to suppress their attack (up to a IVF or F2) so you survive two or three attacks.

The best defence for infantry against tanks is to stand in close terrain with close terrain between you and the enemy, and make sure you are backed by artillery for defensive fire (and keep their ammo topped up for defence even if that means you don't fire on your turn). This means that the enemy tanks will come into close terrain to attack you, so you can counter while they are in close. Also, you don't have to attack - you might be better off waiting to let them hit you next turn again on unfavourable terms.

In the open, your Shermans are good against soft targets and halftracks but not very good against other armour. That's why you need tank destroyers - better HA and HA benefit of +2/star. Thing is you have rubbish armour and low initiative when attacking, so you still benefit from defending and being backed by artillery. None of them have good ammo, so keep an eye on that. The quick way to build up experience is to start them as the halftrack which switches to artillery. Artillery gains experience very quickly. Once they get to 3 stars, convert them to Wolverine or Hellcat. If you have a decent hero on a TD and lose the unit, reform, convert to halftrack and come back when at 3*. It does cost a bit extra in prestige but it works if you can afford it.

Finally, you have better bombers than most other airforces. Tac bombers do more damage but suffer -5 defence against ground fire. Strategic bombers can strip ammo from any unit whatever its armour (and don't take defensive fire from tanks and infantry). Problem is your fighters can't easily compete against experienced german ones. The big mobile AA is quite good for defending your troops (and since you will be doing quite a bit of defending at times, the towed 90mm is quite good too). The fact they can damage enemy fighters before you have a go with your own is also handy.

Also, pick your targets and counter attacks with care. It's often better in US Corps to cut down numbers of units by attacking what you can damage, and almost ignoring the rest (strategic bombers are good here because a tiger with no ammo isn't very dangerous. Be prepared to use auxiliaries to attack to strip the final one or two shots from a powerful unit. But then others swear by Tac bombers, and two or three strength per turn can wipe out a tiger in a reasonable time and with less cost to you than attacking with tanks.
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ycloon »

I greatly appreciate the advice and comments that have been offered. I am planning a US Corps play through once I am done with GC East. I am wondering if anyone has worked out the upgrade path for US equipment and is willing to share that?
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

ycloon wrote:I greatly appreciate the advice and comments that have been offered. I am planning a US Corps play through once I am done with GC East. I am wondering if anyone has worked out the upgrade path for US equipment and is willing to share that?
it depends a little at what toughness level you will do it.

although its quite simple actually.

Infantry, Rangers only
Tanks, Sherman, sherman 76, Pershing (if you can afford them)
TDs, wolverine, hellcat, jackson
Arty, you get the 155mmSPG and thats it
planes, P47 only
Strat. bomber, B17s
tact. Bombers, doesnt really matter.
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ycloon »

Thanks for sharing, JagdpanzerIV. Based on my limited playthrough of US Corps, I also agree that Rangers are hands down the best infantry type. Your other suggestions have been noted. :D

Anyway, I want to clarify my earlier question because I realize it's not very clear. What I wanted to know was whether there is a unit upgrade chart / spreadsheet for US equipment, similar to the one for German equipment (in plain vanila PzC) prepared by some kind soul (see attached). In passing, I want to thank the person/persons who did the German unit upgrade chart; it's a very handy tool and beats looking up the equipment file. (Can't remember where I found the chart, might be on this forum or somewhere else)
Attachments
German unit upgrade chart
German unit upgrade chart
642207221_preview_PzC_UnitUpgradeChart small JPG.jpg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ycloon »

@GiveWarAChance, Go 229 is in the equipment file but is classified as a fighter, not a bomber. The equipment file puts the available from date as 29-Apr-1945, so I'm not sure if it is available for use in either GC45 East or GC45 West (Germany surrendered 7-May-1945). Someone who has played through the 1945 DLCs will have a better idea; I'm still stuck in GC42 East. :-)
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

ycloon wrote:Thanks for sharing, JagdpanzerIV. Based on my limited playthrough of US Corps, I also agree that Rangers are hands down the best infantry type. Your other suggestions have been noted. :D

Anyway, I want to clarify my earlier question because I realize it's not very clear. What I wanted to know was whether there is a unit upgrade chart / spreadsheet for US equipment, similar to the one for German equipment (in plain vanila PzC) prepared by some kind soul (see attached). In passing, I want to thank the person/persons who did the German unit upgrade chart; it's a very handy tool and beats looking up the equipment file. (Can't remember where I found the chart, might be on this forum or somewhere else)
No chart but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the M12 155mm GMC is an iterative (cheap) upgrade for the M7 priest 105mm . Both are excellent but I prefer the 155mm due to its amazing ammo count, despite being a four stepper.
Last edited by huckc on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

that unit is complete nonsense... 155mm GMC carried just 10 rounds, while M7 carried 120. besides, only few 155mm GMCs were build and were mostly used in direct fire against bunkers, so in game stats, M7 should have ammo 12, and 155mm GMC just 1..
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

JaM2013 wrote:that unit is complete nonsense... 155mm GMC carried just 10 rounds, while M7 carried 120. besides, only few 155mm GMCs were build and were mostly used in direct fire against bunkers, so in game stats, M7 should have ammo 12, and 155mm GMC just 1..
I generally agree that it can probably use some balancing down, but in-game ammo count also factors in support vehicles and rate of fire. The M12 was paired with the M30 support vehicle as a matter of necessity, which housed the crew during travel and additional ammunition (40 rounds).

Return to “Panzer Corps”