Most useless heroes...

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Most useless heroes...

Post by ptje63 »

Too lazy to search if a similar topic exists already I admit :oops:

My 21cm Mrs.18 has just received its 2nd hero! Time to celebrate, if not... that it now has a 2+ spotting ability! Which makes it an ideal unit for reconnaissance from now on :evil:
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Most useless heroes...

Post by ycloon »

Yeah, spotting heroes on artillery units are a total waste. I've got a spotting hero on a 17cm K18 during Oboyan. I tend to use recon units in my playthroughs, so I don't really like spotting heroes for non-recon units.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

While spotting on artillery is pretty near useless, the true winner is initiative on a Tac bomber when playing Italy or USA. Why? because initiative has no bearing on ground attack, and no US or Italian tac bomber has active air attack. Yes, initiative has a small impact on defensive air combat when it's between +5 and -5, but in practice this only matters if attacked by biplane fighters as a modern fighter will usually be more than +5 against you anyway.

Personally any of my artillery that gets spotting as first hero gets disbanded at the next opportunity, because artillery gains experience quickly so the replacement is less effective than the old one for only a short time, but more importantly, earning the first hero is much faster than the second one, so I get a chance of a useful hero much sooner in the new gun than if I keep the old one and hope for better.
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ycloon »

Or reload the turn! Cheesy but saves time :D
TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 »

Yep. Disband artillery units with a spotting hero ASAP if not sooner. They gain experience quickly, and your first hero will come faster than your second.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Movement +1 heroes on common units with 3 or more already, strangely enough. Especially hellcats, which is only a 15% increase.

I like standardized movements across units, what can I say :lol: Helps the mental game when you have throngs of them in play.
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ycloon »

I don't mind a movement hero on a tank or anti-tank unit, though. An anti-tank unit with movement +1 is a good candidate for upgrading to an Elefant; a tank with movement + 1 can be upgraded to Tiger II. I just prefer AFVs to have 5 or more moves.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Movement heroes are amazing on things that normally move 1, such as artillery, AA, towed AT, or 2, such as engineers and HW infantry. However, they aren't as good on units like tank, anti-tank, and regular infantry as you would intuitively expect. The reason being that the main way to use that extra speed involves playing the unit more aggressively which in turn can get it killed.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I have learned to sell useless 1st heroes and suck it up for 2nd heroes.

Here is a suggestion. If one of your infantry units gets a +1 Spotting upgrade them to a Kradschutzen. They become quite an effective little recon.

Initiative would be a fine hero if there was a chance to get a +2 or even +3. I think that Panzer Corps 2 should make all random awarded heroes, be +1,2, or rarely 3, that can make for some powerful combos.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ycloon »

@proline: yup, learnt that lesson about aggressive moves. I typically use tank or AT units with movement heroes for guarding flanks and back them up with some arty or AA. Pioneers and grenadiers/HW inf with movement heroes are great. Have not had much luck in my current playthrough. Out of 12 infantry units (both core and SE), I only have one movement hero. Converted all my 2-move units (pioneers, grenadiers) to Wehrmacht Inf or Gebirgsjaeger and kept the grenadier with the move +1 hero. While pioneers and grenadiers hit hard and have good defenses, they take too long to get to the action for my taste. Yes, putting them on transport helps, but they become vulnerable to all sorts of attacks while on a truck / half-track.

Return to “Panzer Corps”