DLC Campaign 45 East rant

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

joe6778
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: DLC Campaign 45 East rant

Post by joe6778 »

My original complaint was that entrenchment/close terrain had no defensive effect for my units. Soviet armor was able to do heavy damage on my entrenched/infantry units even when the armor was attacking from a river into a city hex. This was especially apparent against my auxiliary infantry and it was the case starting back in 44. That was one of the reasons for my rant. It couldn't be the roll of the dice because it seemed to happen way too often.

Do you have any images from turns 4 or 5? That's when the Soviets have dozens of units storming the city from everywhere.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

joe6778 wrote:My original complaint was that entrenchment/close terrain had no defensive effect for my units. Soviet armor was able to do heavy damage on my entrenched/infantry units even when the armor was attacking from a river into a city hex. This was especially apparent against my auxiliary infantry and it was the case starting back in 44. That was one of the reasons for my rant. It couldn't be the roll of the dice because it seemed to happen way too often.

Do you have any images from turns 4 or 5? That's when the Soviets have dozens of units storming the city from everywhere.
Asketh and thou shalt receiveth

Turn 5 turn, start of my turn:
https://imgur.com/Cp8kYie
https://imgur.com/6xjZtg9

I should mention that all but one of the infantry pictured are 4 and 5 star, so +4 and +5 to close defense. The one infantry that isn't is the Gebirgsjager facing the river.
joe6778
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by joe6778 »

So how do you hold out against this onslaught? My situation looked similar to yours, but after losing over 7 core units, I surrendered.
Rifraff
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rifraff »

Honestly mate I would like to see if anyone could win that scenario with that composition. Can you change it up any..
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

joe6778 wrote:So how do you hold out against this onslaught? My situation looked similar to yours, but after losing over 7 core units, I surrendered.
By making the AI decide not to attack from it being too non-profitable. If your units are strong enough and backed by enough artillery the AI is like "lol nope". Come to think of it, I might have never actually been attacked by a ground unit against one my core units in that scenario. Even one attack opens the floodgates essentially.

How many stars of experience is your infantry? There's a huge difference in experience levels for infantry, more so than probably any other type of unit.

0-star infantry: 2 close defense
5-star infantry: 7 close defense
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by hugh2711 »

The other berlin and redux thread is:
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=76173
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

Have been playing PC now for a couple of years and went through the same ordeal of surprise and horror of watching my beloved core units slaughtered one by one in the end-battle.
Though I felt like quitting on several occasions, PC (happily) has a very addictive attraction, that somehow makes me want to try again and again - until I find a way to succeed.
Sometimes through trial and error, sometimes with the help and suggestions of fellow forum members.
There is never one-strategy-for-all, but many helpfull hints from others, just when you think you have tried everything you could think of.
Good luck! ;-)
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

joe i would actualy say it is actually not that bad when you get the tricks. I havent tried huckc's way (although it looks interesting). The trick is firstly at the beginning go after the red air force in thier pre-assigned positions and then hunt them down, once eliminated i dont remember them returning. I only have one 88 and on mobile AA the rest is just and experienced airforce (no jets/262's, they are too expensive) I dont use jadtigers or anti tank at all in this scenario (and very little in the whole grand campaign that way I am assured my ALL TANK SE units are very experienced and heroed up, and I only use the two maus because they are german freebies. the rest of the tanks re experienced and heroed tiger 2's. form a defensive horseshoe shaped line around the southern airfield. Do it so that your tanks are not in urban hexes but on the roads. you will also need some tough infantry backed up with arty to do a few urban hexes to complete the preimeter. leave a couple of gaps between the tiger 2 's on the roads. These will form killing fields for the king tiger's with the pressure of enemy units forcing enemy unis there continually getting killed continually and they will quickly run out of units. There are two other places you can form killing fields like this. To the northwest of that horseshoe there is another smaller area thiiner and taller in shape. The top of which is formed by a bridge/river. At the chancellory put your toughest infantry, next to it a decent tiger two. These two will decimate the units coming over that river and once again they will run out of units. At the bottom near the corner of the horseshoe there is another bridge/river killing field they will pile the units onto to get destroyed. There may be a few other attacks over bridges/rivers you might have to fend off but nothing serious. your biggest problem with this method is you will have to have rotate units particularly at those killing field points because you keep running out of ammo. The irony is that because you can get lot of forced surrenders you can get alot of prestige which is not much use this late in the game. The most difficult thing is judging the right time to strike out when they run out of units as it is a very big map and it can be quite time consuming and tricky to get back all the victory hexes in time as there is the odd unit (mostly weak infantry but even so) left behind.

berlin redux looks similarly impossible but is actually easier once you know the location of the enemy generals,(did it in seven turns last time)

Return to “Panzer Corps”