Panzer Corps Tournament 2018

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Panzer Corps Tournament 2018

Post by WarHomer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 pm

I dont know what just happened, but in my match with StefanDK, the game just skipped my turn 3 as germans.

Stefan noticed it too and asked if I just got skipped a turn.

This is pretty vital especially so early on and cost me a paratrooper and half of two units on boats plus the turn off course. Also I didn´t bother finishing with turn 4 off course.

I´ve asked Stefan to start over, but dont know what the rules are regarding this.

This have never happened to me before.

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 pm

WarHomer wrote:I dont know what just happened, but in my match with StefanDK, the game just skipped my turn 3 as germans.

Stefan noticed it too and asked if I just got skipped a turn.

This is pretty vital especially so early on and cost me a paratrooper and half of two units on boats plus the turn off course. Also I didn´t bother finishing with turn 4 off course.

I´ve asked Stefan to start over, but dont know what the rules are regarding this.

This have never happened to me before.
I have not had that happen before either.

If Stefandk agrees to restarting at least your German round or the whole thing I will leave up to you.

I am sorry this technological flaw has occurred.

I will leave it up to you both on how to resolve.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

StefanDK
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by StefanDK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:59 am

I have communicated with Goose and Warhomer on the matter and decided to agree to restarting the ONE game where the glitch happened.

So I hope it is possible to surrender in one side of the paired game and still continue it? So we will run two separate games I guess.

Have anybody else ever experienced anything like this? I have replay freezes, but nothing that skips my turn. If the game starts to do this I will exit the tournament since the process will be too unreliable then. People will be able to start taking advantage of this which I hope NONE will.

sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Round 2: Norway - Results

Lionheart vs. sn0wball

sn0wball won both as the Axis and the Allies, as Lionheart surrendered both games during turn 10

Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion
Panzer Corps World Champion

Post by Lifever » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm

One thing I noticed with the tournament rules:

It would make sense to switch the player who goes first.

For example:
If player A opens the game for round 1, Player B accepts and plays the first round with the attacker.
Now for round 2 player A gets an opponent who played the first round with the attacker in round 1 - just like Player B. But now it's the other way around: Player A gets invited, so he plays the first round this time.

Depending how Goose is setting up his statistics it shouldn't be a real issue...

Why? WHY?! you may ask...

There are maps where it really sucks to reveal your strategy and give your opponent the incentive to adopt what he saw. Norway is a good example.
Let's say I decide to deep strike with my paratroopers and set them down somewhere behind enemy lines, not on the airfields. It's a clear disadvantage in some scenarios, in others you just show your opponent a decent way to start and get nothing in return for the whole tournament, because as it seems you are always going either first or always second.
Just my thoughts.

(Not that it mattered in our case. NightPhoenix didn't copy anything... that's why he is probably winning this. :D So I'm not complaining... yet. Maybe I will start to complain about the weather pretty soon. Thundergod, Thor... however you want to be called... consider this a fair warning. Or else... )

Zachmann
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Zachmann » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:55 pm

I do analyze the map and OOB before the start of the match, think about the possible alternative approaches and finally form something like an OP plan.

Personally, for example, I come to the conclusion that airdrops on the southern airfields and near fortress Oscarsborg are the most effective use of the paratrooper formations during the initial phase.
Watching the opponent doing it another way wouldn't change my decision for the mirror game, since I would've already considered that alternative and didn't find it promising.
(But of course it may force me to change plan and adapt in the same game, with the opposite side, to counter that).

So, in short, personally I don't think that it is a significant disadvantage to first reveal a game turn.

Rag116
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rag116 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 pm

rag116 reporting on round 2: Norway - Results as follows: rag116 wins as Germans on turn 19
Thaler wins as Germans on turn 25
It was a hard fought battle vs Thaler on both sides he is a very skilled opponent.

NightPhoenix
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by NightPhoenix » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 pm

=P If only i was actually winning, but I'm getting my ass kicked quite handily here. We'll were both still in it i guess. That weather has been dragging me down quite a bit, nothing but rain and mud for the last couple turns and no end in sight. ;) Guess praying to Thor really does help. I'll try too!

Either way, i do agree with you that it would be nice to switch that up to have you alternate between playing the first turn. Although it works both ways, the axis player starting will also see the first turn of the enemy defense, and could get ideas from how to form their own effective defense against the other player. But alternating is probably good for sake of fairness. ;)

ratprince
Panzer Corps Tournament 5th Place

Post by ratprince » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:11 pm

TigerTiger007

Just checking to see if all is well. We were moving along at like 6 turns a day. Got to critical turn 20 and 21 and the turns stopped.

I secured a win on 19 with the Germans and our game with me as Allies is stuck at turn 23. If you are out there, can we please finish off that game please :)

Thanks!
Ratprince

a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:36 pm

I (a432) have won my match vs SSIGeneral . He Surrendered both games. I won with axis turn 20, and allies turn 21.

Highlights of the game when I was allied:
1) shot down a BF110 with my hurricane
2) Watched a bf109 crash due to running out of fuel
3) Watched wave after wave of German paratroops die trying to land and attack near Namsos. (I full killed at least 10 different paratrooper squads)
4) After holding the pass between Dombas and Trondheim pushing the Germans all the way out back into the sea :)

Nothing special with my game as Axis, just a slow methodical advance towards Trondheim. The Allies tried to defend each and every city the best they could. Good delaying action but only caused one causality the entire game.
Attachments
norwayaxis.jpg
norwayaxis.jpg (603.4 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
norwayallies.jpg
norwayallies.jpg (688.9 KiB) Viewed 1197 times

Bluefin
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bluefin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm having problems accepting the challenge for this round.

djinnwind set up our game the other day, I see it in the accept a challenge, but it won't accept the password, which I believe is tournament. I've sent a PM to him and waiting for a reply.

ratprince

Post by ratprince » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:49 pm

At what point does a game become abandoned during the tournament?

We were moving at a 5 or 6 turn a day clip and then nothing for 3 days. I believe it may be player morale break due to the situation.

Do we wait until the day before the end date? Or what...

Thanks

Ratprince

Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Gwaylare » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 pm

Lifever wrote:One thing I noticed with the tournament rules:
Why? WHY?! you may ask...

There are maps where it really sucks to reveal your strategy and give your opponent the incentive to adopt what he saw. Norway is a good example.
Let's say I decide to deep strike with my paratroopers and set them down somewhere behind enemy lines, not on the airfields. It's a clear disadvantage in some scenarios, in others you just show your opponent a decent way to start and get nothing in return for the whole tournament, because as it seems you are always going either first or always second.
Just my thoughts.
We do have mirror games here, so there is no start player. Once the challenge is accepted both players have a turn as the attacker. When you have accepted the game you may do your first move directly, but you have not to. So you can wait for the move of your opponent first, if you wish to. The player doing the first move is doing first move, that's it.

For me it is a question of honour to play the turns in sequel. To play the first turn as defender first and then the first turn as an attacker second, I would consider as dishonourable and it obvious, because you release the sequel of turns your opponent.

Best regards
Gwaylare

goose_2

Round 2 Norway (1 week in)

Post by goose_2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Ok Folks we are 1 week into Round 2 and I hope all matches have started and that play is going at a rapid pace. (I'm actually hoping to hear most of you are at least halfway done.)
If you have not started or your player is sandbagging let me know so that I can get you 2 connected via email. Just so you know sandbaggers will be declared the losers of the match as I expect timely players, I understand things come up, but when it comes time to make a decision I always side on the side of the non sandbagger.

Also,
It has come to my attention that cheating has occurred in matches.
Players that repeatedly download their rounds without saving can be monitored and will not be tolerated. The powers that be at Slitherine can and have been keeping track of this.

We understand bad connections can and do happen, it happens to me but egregious examples of downloading a round multiple times will be expelled from the Tournament.

I want this to be a clean tournament and as such I take this sort of thing very seriously.

Lastly,
With Round 2 well underway, I wanted to get some feedback on Round 5.
Round 4 will be France, of course, but Round 5 will either be Greece or Sealion 40.
Sealion 40 is almost impossible against a human player, although I have been able to pull it off, but we could play it with these rules for Victory.

So...If both opponents lose as the Germans, than it will come down to how much territory the Germans were able to maintain.
Starting with Primary Objectives:

1) You have 3 Primary and your opponent has 2 Primary...You win.
If those are the same...
2) It will then come down to 2ndary Objectives. You and your opponent both have 2 Primary Objectives, but you have 1 2ndary and your opponent has none. You win.
If those are the same...
3) If those end up being the same, the 3rd condition will be a little different, it will come down to how many surviving units you have on the map, not prestige.
So, you have 2 Primary and your opponent has 2 Primary and you both have no 2ndary Objectives, but you have 5 units remaining, 4 infantry and 1 tank, and your opponent has 4, 2 tanks and 2 inf...you win.

So I am open to debate around Round 5. Share your opinion on Sealion 40 being Round 5 or Greece. Either way we will be playing Greece, but this is to determine if it is Round 5 or Round 6 that it is played. I will tally up the votes and which ever wins will be the decision. (If I knew how to set up those voting button thingies I would do it, but I don't so :P )

Blessings and keep practicing and as always...
Stay Lutheran My Friends :mrgreen:
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

NightPhoenix
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by NightPhoenix » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:29 pm

I would be casting my vote for skipping Sealion 40 and going straight towards Greece. ;) I'm a bit afraid in most of the matches the Germans would just be expelled from the UK, which would make for uninteresting matches i think. ( I'm not sure ) I would also like the tournament to delve further into the campaign, might i be so lucky to get there. Skipping Sealion40 means the campaign will go further. Due to the nature of the tournament there will be a maximum of 9 rounds or something anyways, the further we get the better for me! ( This will probably be the first and only time to play the regular campaign missions so i'd like to see as much as possible. XD )

ratprince

Post by ratprince » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:37 pm

agreed.

sea lion is a bit demoralizing and some players may slow play or abandon games if losing badly.

Greece is a bit more balanced :)

Plus, I want to see Russia!

Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi goose

Same for me I do not like those maps with heavy navy interaction and landing all troups. For Norway that is fine, because the landing is almost done and the navy starts far separated. Still Norway it is a very special map.
In Sealion 40 you are able to loose the map within the first 2 turn, if you do not know exactly what to do.
The most exciting maps like Moscow, Kiev and Stalingrad are still waiting and for those you who will get the third defeat it would be fair to get it on a real panzer corp map and not on a navy map like seelion.

In fact seelion was the reason because I did not play the campaign for second time after my first run in 2011.

Best regards
Gwaylare

alexrommell
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by alexrommell » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:29 pm

ratprince wrote:agreed.

sea lion is a bit demoralizing and some players may slow play or abandon games if losing badly.

Greece is a bit more balanced :)

Plus, I want to see Russia!
I agree!

alexrommell

Post by alexrommell » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:37 pm

I took my turn against topgun yesterday and it said internet connection ... Blah, blah, so I needed to retry 2-3 times and it went through finally. We are are a little behind too. I’m optimistic we will make the 3/3 deadline

a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:45 pm

Definitely agree with skipping sealion and going to Greece.

Return to “Panzer Corps”