Elefant in Afrika

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

proline
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Elefant in Afrika

Post by proline » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 pm

So here's something kind of weird- the Elefant has a theater modifier on it in the standard equipment file so you can't use it in Afrika. Historically its certainly true that they weren't used there, however they were an Italian invention which means that if Italy hadn't been taken out of the war early they might eventually have used them and Afrika Corps does include many speculative scenarios. From a gameplay perspective I can see the argument that they are way overpowered and hard for the AI to counter in open terrain, but that is true in Europe as well. I wonder what the reasoning for that decision was?

hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Elefant in Afrika

Post by hurly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 am

proline wrote:So here's something kind of weird- the Elefant has a theater modifier on it in the standard equipment file so you can't use it in Afrika. Historically its certainly true that they weren't used there, however they were an Italian invention which means that if Italy hadn't been taken out of the war early they might eventually have used them and Afrika Corps does include many speculative scenarios. From a gameplay perspective I can see the argument that they are way overpowered and hard for the AI to counter in open terrain, but that is true in Europe as well. I wonder what the reasoning for that decision was?

The Ferdinand/Elefant is an Italian Invention ? Tell us more

afaik it was built and designed by Porsche as an Alternate for the Tiger 1.
But when rejected, they Used the approx. 100 Chassis they already built to be converted to an ultra Heavy Tank Hunter known as Ferdinand/Elefant

sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:12 am

Historically, Elefants were most effectively used against the Italians (Cannae), but not in Africa (Zama). It would be interesting to see the Romans adopting them, for example as a result of a better performance by them at Zama.

proline

Post by proline » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 am

hurly wrote:
proline wrote:So here's something kind of weird- the Elefant has a theater modifier on it in the standard equipment file so you can't use it in Afrika. Historically its certainly true that they weren't used there, however they were an Italian invention which means that if Italy hadn't been taken out of the war early they might eventually have used them and Afrika Corps does include many speculative scenarios. From a gameplay perspective I can see the argument that they are way overpowered and hard for the AI to counter in open terrain, but that is true in Europe as well. I wonder what the reasoning for that decision was?

The Ferdinand/Elefant is an Italian Invention ? Tell us more

afaik it was built and designed by Porsche as an Alternate for the Tiger 1.
But when rejected, they Used the approx. 100 Chassis they already built to be converted to an ultra Heavy Tank Hunter known as Ferdinand/Elefant
Oops, you're right- not invented in Italy but used there.

Panzerpimp
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Panzerpimp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Elefant in India...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Punjab2.jpg
Punjab2.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Make love, not war.

JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:52 pm

in theory i don't see why we could not use Elefants/Ferdinands in Afrika. one problem i could see is the weight, having to load and unload them from ships could have been a problem.

the Ferdinands came from the Tiger P chassis, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VK_4501_(P)
Last edited by JagdpanzerIV on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

proline

Post by proline » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Yeah they were certainly heavy and impractical, but that was an issue in Europe as well.

huckc
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by huckc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Yes wish I could use them in Afrika Korps. One thing that's odd is you actually get one in the standalone scenario for Caucasus.

Return to “Panzer Corps”