German campaign - Norway scenario

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

DrOnline82
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

German campaign - Norway scenario

Post by DrOnline82 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:49 am

Hey,

I'm a long time player of Panzer/Allied general. I always experienced the latter as much more difficult than the former. And I had no idea this game Panzer Corps even existed, until I saw it pop up on sale on Steam. Just bought it and all extra content. Love it. Hope to keep playing it for years.

Anyway, so I'm playing on what I figure is normal difficulty, the middle one, colonel I believe. I play with weather and supply etc. The Polish campaign went alright, but now I got to Norway, and it's kicking my ass!

How on earth can I even capture Trondheim, with only a heavy cruiser, two destroyers, and a max of three transports. The British fleet comes in from the north And the south to butcher the fleet, and then the poor units on land are subject to bombardment.

I've tried buying 2x level bombers in the beginning, and sending every combat vessel from the Oslo fjord immediately northwards, bombarding on the way up, but by then I have to scurry away the units near Trondheim to avoid the bombardment, so I cannot capture it and the cities north if it in time.

Any advice? General or specific to the mission.

Maybe I misunderstood the difficult setting and need to put it down a notch? Because on PG I would replay any mission not resulting in decisive victory, becasue it was kinda easy, and in this game... well it's different :D

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: German campaign - Norway scenario

Post by hugh2711 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Have you tried looking in the 'AAR' section?. http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=145
I seem to remember there are some video reports of the basic campaign.

DrOnline82

Post by DrOnline82 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks. I see there are videos on youtube too so I'll find some advice.

DrOnline82

Post by DrOnline82 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm

I found some advice here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6iG1GUFLAo

Significant changes from original approach was to send all fallschirmjäger north instead of capturing southern airbases with them, counter to history, and I also revised my attack on Trondheim to stay in the mountains away from British fleet. Time time I think I might get decisive.

turn4441
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by turn4441 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:56 pm

One thing to be aware of, or consider in this scenario, is that you get more prestige for a Marginal Victory or Loss (960) than you do for a Decisive Victory (760) and you advance to the Low Countries no matter the result. You should also be sure to play all the turns as you get 40 prestige per turn.

DrOnline82

Post by DrOnline82 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Alright. That seems to make zero sense to me, but I'll remember that to next time.

TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 am

Welcome to the game! I'm glad you found it - even if just by chance. I've long speculated that there are a number of old time PG players out there that don't know about PC. Don't forget to pass the word about the game if you haven't already.

I'm sure you'll find that whatever you paid for the game was well worth it. IMO it's a great remake & overall a better game.

Norway is a tricky scenario. Speed is important. Using & also re-dropping FJ units is a good idea. Don't forget that other units can be air transportable too. Try the Gebirgsjager infantry. They can pass quickly over mountains and hills. Another unit to consider is the newly available SdKfz232 recon. It offers two benefits - great mobility & a spotting range of 3. This is helpful for scouting out roadblocks & choke points. I would suggest including one with the Oslo landing group.

You've mentioned strategic bombers. I think one & perhaps two are a good idea to tilt the naval battle more in your favor. Don't forget that they can also suppress & strip ammo from ground units as well - which can come in handy. The Ju88A is the best choice here.

As you already know, there are a number of YouTube videos out there. I've always preferred avoiding those & trying things out on my own first. Part of the fun of the game is trying different tactics, plans of attack & unit mixes.

Good luck!

AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:26 am

Welcome!

I also am an old PG player that found a new home here.

Drop your paras on the southern airfields, then re-embark and go north.

Your Northern naval group can do damage before it goes down, and even get the enemy out of position for your Southern group's advance up the coast.

This is one of the counter-intuitive scoring scenarios in the campaign. Take every turn, and it will pay more in prestige. It is basically a prestige and experience bonus round, to prepare you for the road ahead.

Every Decisive Victory rolls the dice for an SE Unit. I save just before the end of a DV and re-roll for a tank sometimes. Other times I just take what they give me and make it happen. An SE can be slightly better and it does NOT count to unit caps on deployment. You can have up to three. Don't fret a DV in Norway, as that is like throwing away free money.

Enjoy!

DrOnline82

Post by DrOnline82 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Ok, so getting to do the Norway campaign is a bonus for the DV in Poland, so I'll do as you suggest. I honestly didn't think about the obvious approach of landing the paratroopers in the south, and then reembarking again.

Ok, I'm redoing it, and taking my time this time around :)

Be Small
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Be Small » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 pm

DrOnline82 wrote:Thanks for all the advice. Ok, so getting to do the Norway campaign is a bonus for the DV in Poland, so I'll do as you suggest. I honestly didn't think about the obvious approach of landing the paratroopers in the south, and then reembarking again.

Ok, I'm redoing it, and taking my time this time around :)
Let me know how you are faring. I just landed a DV at middle difficulty. I threw all my Stuka's and the scenario Henkel at the fortress. I move the cruiser as far north as possible to try and stay out of harm's way. I offer the destroyers as bait instead and I move my cruisers from the south up asap to help kill the fortresses.
The paras used to take the north-western airfield, then reboarded and jumped north-center.
Aka Fokker G1, A.B. Ushavov (CMMC)

ptje63

Post by ptje63 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:21 am

Welcome - and another PG-veteran - Im sure you will spend more time on PC than on the PG episode combined :-)...
Ages ago since I played Norway, so Im sorry I cant help you out in detail - do know that it takes many trial-and-errors in the months to come to master all the ins and outs of PC.
And the forum is always a place to ask any type of questions - and stupid questions dont exist :-)

Return to “Panzer Corps”