New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

Post by huckc »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:44 pm I just love tapping units hard with an 88 after I suppress them...so fun to hear that sound effect.

There really is not enough said about the great sound effects that were put in this game. Just love hearing that BOOM!
My favorite are the bridge engineers and the weird ratcheting noise that happens after firing.

Anyone know what that is? Possibly bolt action but them being the only ones that emit it doesn't make sense.

A close second are the dive-bombers with 20mm cannons, Ju-87G and Hs-129.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

huckc wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:37 pm
goose_2 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:44 pm I just love tapping units hard with an 88 after I suppress them...so fun to hear that sound effect.

There really is not enough said about the great sound effects that were put in this game. Just love hearing that BOOM!
My favorite are the bridge engineers and the weird ratcheting noise that happens after firing.

Anyone know what that is? Possibly bolt action but them being the only ones that emit it doesn't make sense.

Interesting, I had not taken notice to this before and seeing as I have a auxiliary Bridge Engineer in Smolensk I will have to give it a listen.

With that said no time today to go into much detail about my progress as since I was out sick Friday and am now playing catch up at work:
I busted through a lot more of my Super Hard Campaign.

In fact I have played through, Metaxas Line, Crete Naval, Crete Airborne, Minsk, and have started Smolensk but am considering restarting as had Oleh Dir hit by T-34/40 damaged for 6...which makes me consider restarting my initial set up and initial strategy. Maybe.

Here are quick thoughts on my playthroughs:
Metaxas Line, the difficulty level for this scenario really jumps up in comparison to Belgrade, which is easy at any level.
I took some real damage, but powered through for Decisive and secured Matilda 2 thanks to some softening up with planes and the work of Oleh Dir.

Crete Naval: I think you will be interested in watching the playthrough on that posted replay...thanks Hurly...as I did a different strategy on that one that was more time consuming but less damaging to my units than others I have seen played.

Crete Airborne: I was sick and tired and simply powered through this terrible playthrough, do not follow this set up or playthrough for how to do this mission as I lost 2 units and other units were chewed up something awful. I still got the Decisive, but I kept the Naval mission for the continuation of this playthrough for obvious reasons.

Minsk41: Super Easy start take it slow around pain points like Brest-Litovsk, the one in the center guarded by arty, and AA, I am forgetting the name, and Minsk itself which is tough. You need to get lucky with your aux Dornier's knocking out those guarded airfields, but once their planes are immobile it is smooth sailing in the skies.

Smolensk: I forgot how tough it is to cross the Berezina initially, and as such am considering restarting, but probably not...

I will try to get aar's typed up...the only thing I am considering that you could provide feedback on is the following:

Heinz Rondorf? Should I upgrade to Flam or Pz4? I have really enjoyed him as Flamm in both Manstein and Guderian playthroughs, but not sure this time around.

Captured tanks: I used to build up as many tanks as I could trying to hero farm for best heroes on my tanks, but unsure if this is wise to do this playthrough as so very difficult to build up experience on tanks...Should I just sell them, or build up very select few, if select few, which?

Thanks again for the interest and feedback...hopefully will be able to do youtube thingy by the end of the year...maybe?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

huckc wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Chances are I am wrong, however I agree with you, the bridge engineer weapon sounds like a repeating rifle to me, most likely something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k (one of the most common).

Some other infantry weapons sound more like semi-automatic (or even automatic) rifles and/or machine guns, more like this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_43 with repeated fire (i.e. more or less continuous pulling of the trigger) but without the manual bolt action (in between).

So from this perspective it could make sense, i.e. it could be that PzC gave bridge engineers the older/more manual guns as they also have much lower soft and hard attack values, and maybe also considered bridge engineers as support troops (although they weren’t in reality).

In case interested/for some kind of completeness:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FG_42
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_42
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:49 pm Heinz Rondorf? Should I upgrade to Flam or Pz4? I have really enjoyed him as Flamm in both Manstein and Guderian playthroughs, but not sure this time around.

Captured tanks: I used to build up as many tanks as I could trying to hero farm for best heroes on my tanks, but unsure if this is wise to do this playthrough as so very difficult to build up experience on tanks...Should I just sell them, or build up very select few, if select few, which?
Having at least one experienced Flammpanzer is helpful for Moscow and Stalingrad, however other than that it's a waste of the hero... I would only keep the KV-1Bs for a while, same speed but higher defense values compared to the German tanks.
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update as had some time last night to bust out a few more days and am at the start of Turn 10.

I decided not to restart and simply adjusted where I had units move towards and bought elite replacements for damaged Oleh.
That has done the trick as I am progressing along rather nicely and should be able to garner all areas and get Decisive Victory, at least I think as I still have much more areas to take over, but I am extremely pleased with the current progress and lack of damage I am sustaining.

At this level you take much time in setting up attacks where the prediction states the enemy will not fire back, not able to do everytime, but enough times to minimize damage received.

I did take the advice and upgraded Heinz Rondorf to Flamm, and plan on keeping him as such through Stalingrad and reevaluating after that.

I still have Pz1B that I have been using to mop up units and avoiding putting in the front. I am not using him in Smolensk, but plan on bringing when I can and trying to build up to 3 stars as super cheap to buy replacements for and currently at 258 in experience, (My highest experienced tank).

The only additional hero that I can remember receiving so far in Smolensk is +2 Att for another 10.5 cm arty which will be converted to a 17cm arty. This will leave me with 2 +2 att 17cm arty's. :twisted:
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update:

Finished Smolensk...Super Easy until actually went near Smolensk itself. There I took some damage, but nothing major, just painful.

After much consideration I will work on building up my first KV-1B, and will evaluate each tank as it is received.
I am still considering upgrading my +1 Range 10.5cm arty to Wurfrahmen, I think I would like that mobility combined with speed.

If that is the case I believe I will continue to buy more 10.5cm arty's as builder arty and upgrade based on their first hero awarded.

I do not plan on playing anymore Super Hard scenarios until I can catch up on some of my playthrough aar's.

With this time I will instead finally attempt Wesel scenario on my Blind Guderian playthrough,
I took a look and it is hard to decide where to place my forces and what to defend.

No spoilers but I will hopefully bust that out this weekend, and get more aar's typed up tomorrow.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 pm Quick Update:

Finished Smolensk...Super Easy until actually went near Smolensk itself. There I took some damage, but nothing major, just painful.

After much consideration I will work on building up my first KV-1B, and will evaluate each tank as it is received.
I am still considering upgrading my +1 Range 10.5cm arty to Wurfrahmen, I think I would like that mobility combined with speed.

If that is the case I believe I will continue to buy more 10.5cm arty's as builder arty and upgrade based on their first hero awarded.

I do not plan on playing anymore Super Hard scenarios until I can catch up on some of my playthrough aar's.

With this time I will instead finally attempt Wesel scenario on my Blind Guderian playthrough,
I took a look and it is hard to decide where to place my forces and what to defend.

No spoilers but I will hopefully bust that out this weekend, and get more aar's typed up tomorrow.
Ok I finished Wesel this weekend and am now halfway through End of the Elbe.
Wesel was Super Easy, barely an inconvenience, although I lost an important unit because I was overzealous.

I am on Round 9 of the End on the Elbe.
This is unremarkably easy so far.

I am not sure what the developers decided on these final scenarios, that if the player was playing the losing path then they must be hurting for prestige and units, but this is the end and I should be getting beat up pretty bad, instead of this cake walk I am experiencing so far.

I think I will get some time to type up AAR's, but I have no time to waste so I will get started.
goose_2

Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

goose_2 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:00 pm
goose_2 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 pm Quick Update:

Ok I finished Wesel this weekend and am now halfway through End of the Elbe.
Wesel was Super Easy, barely an inconvenience, although I lost an important unit because I was overzealous.

I am on Round 9 of the End on the Elbe.
This is unremarkably easy so far.

I am not sure what the developers decided on these final scenarios, that if the player was playing the losing path then they must be hurting for prestige and units, but this is the end and I should be getting beat up pretty bad, instead of this cake walk I am experiencing so far.

I think I will get some time to type up AAR's, but I have no time to waste so I will get started.
I do not believe the game designers meant for it to be easier. I believe your developed skill propably exceeds any thing they ever anticipated. I do admire your humility though. I have a question I am playing 45 East for the first time and have read no posts for these scenarios. I just finished Goldap and would like to know which campaign path will be more interesting, the defensive or the offensive. I am playing at Field Marshall. Thanks in advance.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Buffalohump wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:12 am

I do not believe the game designers meant for it to be easier. I believe your developed skill propably exceeds any thing they ever anticipated. I do admire your humility though. I have a question I am playing 45 East for the first time and have read no posts for these scenarios. I just finished Goldap and would like to know which campaign path will be more interesting, the defensive or the offensive. I am playing at Field Marshall. Thanks in advance.
I have an AAR through Berlin on Field Marshall on my first playthrough through Grand Campaign
I took the Pelleninkin path which I think was the aggressive path.

I will be taking the other path on my Manstein playthrough, which I am hoping to continue online when I finally get that figured out.
My aar is located here:
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=65111&start=100
goose_2

Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am playing deliberately blind. 45 East is only campaign I have not played at all. I want to see how well I do with what I have learned unaided and with out foreknowledge. I must admit Goldap was not particularly hard but the sudden unexpected freeze and additional Soviet offensive gave me a nasty surprise. I lost a pet unit and an artillery unit I was pretty sure was going to receive a hero pretty soon before I was able to recover. I will miss my 12th Gebirgsjager. The paratroopers behind the lines was unexpected but fun to deal with. My interest was in which campaign path would be more challenging. Thanks again
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I finished Ostrov this weekend with little trouble...I was awarded a +3 Att arty and my 2nd SE Pz was awarded with +2 Defensive Hero.

Now I am preparing to use same force composition for Zhitomir to see if I end with similar or even better results.

Not as much game time as of late, but plugging and chugging when I can. ;)
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I started the first round of Zhotimir twice last night, as needed to rethink the first day based on the strong counter attack of the enemy.
Even my 2nd attempt ended up with some units chewed up, but is good enough for me to keep moving on, I do not want to get too caught up in replaying...anyway the point is that this scenario is a lot tougher than going the Leningrad route, it is funny because I do not remember it that way, but maybe things will change on the 2nd mission of the Kiev route versus Leningrad route...either way it will probably be this weekend before I can finish that mission...just funny how you remember things differently until you do a side by side comparison...maybe it was because Guderian you need to press hard and fast.

I am trying to type up Ostrov but taking longer as work is getting busier. Yay!
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

We have a new leader in which army I will be continuing on with Kiev path or Leningrad path. In Zhitomir I was awarded +1 Range Hero on my last 10.5cm arty, and +1 Movement on my 2nd SE Pz3H. Some good heroes.

Ostrov I was awarded +3 Att on arty and +2 Def on 2nd SE Pz3H, but in Novgorod, which I finished this weekend, I was awarded 2 awesome 2nd heroes on 2 awesome units.
My +1 Movement 88 was awarded with a 2nd +1 Movement hero, and Albert Kerscher was awarded with a +1 Movement 2nd hero.

Those are pretty awesome and do not see how Kiev playthrough can beat those units awarded, but I plan on attempting sometime this week.

Hoping to get time to type up aar today and tomorrow.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update:

I started Zhurivka and am through half already, battle is not too tough and I have been awarded 2 2nd Heroes in this playthrough as well, so far.
+1 Att 2nd Hero on my +3 Att Fallschimjaeger, which will make him an absolute beast.
+2 Att 2nd Hero on my +3 Att Bf-110D which is quite nice as well.

We shall see where these different armies end up.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Zhurivka is in the bag...DV no prob, but trying for that T-34/40 in Kiev turned out to be a bridge to far as I was unable to garner the city hex within the time allotted, and I was not awarded any more heroes.

My assessment is one that I would not have figured until I played at this level and it is this.

Kiev is the more difficult path of the 2 paths. The units around Kiev are stronger and more diverse, they hurt. The glory is greater on the Kiev path as you can earn more prestige and rack up more kills for your units, but it could cost you.

I believe I will probably be keeping the Leningrad path based on the 2 better heroes received than on the Kiev path, but it still will come down to the army I am left with after the last 2 battles.

I will be using next 2 days to type up the AAR, which will give me time to play mp tonight, or tom morning. I am sure my opponents are wondering where I went.

:oops:

Fell down that single player hole for a few days, plus I had all this yard work to do. (38 bags of leaves picked up and not done yet.)
goose_2

captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:49 pm Heinz Rondorf? Should I upgrade to Flam or Pz4? I have really enjoyed him as Flamm in both Manstein and Guderian playthroughs, but not sure this time around.
I'm not 100% convinced about the Flammpanzer. The high RoF is good, as is the CD and 10 ammo, but the lack of Close trait limits usefulness in cities, especially against infantry and the weak armour makes it's less useful than a Stug as an emergency blocking unit as well as being 50% more expensive. I think a Stug or another infantry unit would usually be better value for money, or having Rondorf in a IV G scouting and keeping watch for anything in the open for a better combat performance.

I been trying out some new tactics this time round (mostly big flanking movements aided by some early heroes which pretty much created distinct units for assault, manouevre and holding actions which encourage this kind of plan). Metaxas, dealing with Brest fortress in Barbarossa and the second Kiev scenario all were much easier than usual by this route (taking out Brest fortress from both sides is definitely easier), though Vyazma wasn't so good (MV in mostly dry weather). The same approach should work OK with overstrength enemy as long as the weakened areas cope (early on when I tended to overstrengthen the flanking group, the Luftwaffe saved the day several times by preventing major breakthroughs and saving quite a few 1 to 3 strength veteran units).

While I don't have prestige restrictions in place, I'm not spending up large - few units get more than 11 strength, and out of series upgrading is only when existing units are no longer effective or to better use heroes (eg range hero guns become 3 range nebelwerfers, move hero infantry are put in the same unit). After Stalingrad Im still using 1st Infantry division (two Wehr 39 on foot and a horse drawm 105), and Kerscher and Rondorf have only just been upgraded from their original 38t and Panzer 2 (though Nico's mod allows minopr upgrades to the 38t). I was surprised the II remained useful for so long - it's a shame you can't upgrade your Panzer 1 to a a 1D for Kursk.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

captainjack wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:14 pm
I'm not 100% convinced about the Flammpanzer. The high RoF is good, as is the CD and 10 ammo, but the lack of Close trait limits usefulness in cities, especially against infantry and the weak armour makes it's less useful than a Stug as an emergency blocking unit as well as being 50% more expensive. I think a Stug or another infantry unit would usually be better value for money, or having Rondorf in a IV G scouting and keeping watch for anything in the open for a better combat performance.

I have him started out as a Flamm for now...That soft shredder on units that are suppressed cannot be beat.
Not sure I will keep him this way, but for now...

About your different maneuvers...I am still consistently learning to tweak my rounds and my tactics, more than any other playthrough I am playing this time around to minimize damage as much as possible, as such taking a lot less risks, and using a lot of planning out attacks 2 or three moves ahead so I can maximize the main attack.

I am bringing strong units backed up with arty almost always to avoid damage or losing units, I still get close to losing units but have not lost one yet, and unsure what to do about reform units because it is so difficult for me to build up experience that if I lost a unit, I probably would go back a turn or 2 to try planning out the round before.
(For example I had a recon backed up by arty exposed that was attacked by 2 tanks which had them reduce him to just 1 strength and I thought I was going to have it Force Surrendered, but since it survived I just kept the round and bought Elite Replacements in game for it. It was expensive, but worth it as my 2 recons are the closest ground units to get to 3 stars experience. Recons do really well against the enemy until 1942, and after 1943 they can only be used as they are intended, as recon and trap setter.)

I finished Leningrad this weekend, super Successfully. I sustained damage to a Pz3hH and the recon that I ended up buying in scenario elite replacements for and had a few other units chewed up on, but nothing truly devastating.

I was not awarded any heroes during the whole scenario, but I still plan on keeping this playthrough rather than the Kiev playthrough based on what I have already acquired.
I have the initial setup for last mission for Kiev set up and will try and play this week.
I will try to get AAR typed up today and tomorrow.

I am still mentally preparing for Streets of Moscow. I feel ready for Vyazma, but still should do more preparation, it is Streets that I am really feeling the most trepidatious about as I remember the pain I felt on Manstein, this time I want that Decisive Victory I was unable to get on Manstein and I am willing to spend overtstrength Prestige to garner that Victory.

Blessings,
and as always...Stay Lutheran My Friends :mrgreen:
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I am taking a moment during a break here at work...getting busier. ugh

But last night I had a moment to try out 1st day of Zolotonosha...not good...
The enemies counter attack was brutal and I will rethink and retry my strategy in order to garner better results...savescum? :?

But my thinking based on watching their units hit into mine despite having units backed up with arty and not getting better units available until 1943...I am worried about continuing to ramp up the difficulty in 1942 as well as what I have left to accomplish in 1941...

I guess what I am trying to say is, maybe I am realizing that I am attempting to bite off more than I can chew...I have considered tamping down the difficulty or maybe not increasing the difficulty...but I am instead going to commit to the bit...I will continue documenting this disaster and let you know the results...
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update:

Took some time this morning to bust out 5 days in Kiev, (Zolotonasha) Scenario...much better this time as I instead of going balls out in my assault, I scaled back forward movement and let them more come to me, and based on my defense their first air attack wave went after my aux units instead of getting shredded by any of my traps...

So first 5 days down and I have still had some chewing on my units that make this path much more dangerous than the other path...I have bought replacements for various units to help in complete needed areas to garner success.

I do not see anyway that I will be importing this group of units as opposed to the Leningrad path, I plan on getting time to type up Leningrad Path aar today as last 2 days were way too busy at work and I had other duties to accomplish during lunch...
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update...I have not had much time to play single player so only got 3 more days in...but will finish up probably early tom morning...so these are my thoughts on what to bring into Vyazma and Streets of Moscow.

Vyazma: 35 units
I was thinking of placing my highly mobile forces up North to rush forward and maneuver as needed to the Northern Pincer movement so that will include:
North:
1st SE Pz3H with +1 Movement; Heinz Rondorf in Flamm; Albert Kerscher with +1 Movement 2nd Hero
4 of my 9 artys, including StuG, Sturm, Nblwf, +2 Att 17cm arty.
+2 Movement 88;
2nd Recon
Oleh Dir; Helmut Weirnsberger; +1 Movement Gebirsjaeger

In Center:
+1 Movement Pz4F
+ 2 def Gebirsjager

South:
2nd, 3rd , and 4th SE Pz's; KV-1B
+3 Att Gebirsjaeger, Reg Inf, Fallschimjaeger last 2 units with trucks. (Should I change Reg inf to Grenadier?)
+3 Def 88
PanzerJaeger IB
5 artys

In the air: All 4 Fighters; 2 Ju-87R's, and Bf-110G

Same in Moscow , just exchange 1 Fighter for a Henkel and 1 Panzerjaeger for other Recon, as I want to use a recon for my North Western push and South Eastern push.

Thoughts? Any feedback or possible things I am not considering are appreciated.
goose_2

Return to “Panzer Corps”