New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

Post by huckc »

Continuing our discussion from here.

One major thing I might've done differently is to move all the aux Italians away from the airfields on turn 1 and towards my lines in the center in order to help take the city asap. Leaving behind one to scoop the airfields back up. The AI might garrison the airfields with some partisans however and it's hard to test this. Some or all of them will continue their attack towards Betonnaya where you can destroy them in open terrain when they get there around turn 12 or so.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

huckc wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:20 pm Continuing our discussion from here.

One major thing I might've done differently is to move all the aux Italians away from the airfields on turn 1 and towards my lines in the center in order to help take the city asap. Leaving behind one to scoop the airfields back up. The AI might garrison the airfields with some partisans however and it's hard to test this. Some or all of them will continue their attack towards Betonnaya where you can destroy them in open terrain when they get there around turn 12 or so.
Quick Update:

I have started Storming Stalingrad last night. 5 turns down, I am of course not proceeding as rapidly as you have done, of course, but I am poised to take over Dzerzhinskiy area as I already have taken the central airfield. My hope is my defense is ready for taken over Dzerzhinskiy area as the counter attack comes on rather strong at that point, if I remember correctly.

I bypassed Gumrak and am moving towards their last airfield to make the rest of their airforce sitting ducks.

I was doing what you suggested by evacuating the airfields but I have a small powerful force that is not to far away from the airfields and I am going to move them back to destroy them right after they seize at least the first 2 as I want the extra prestige, but I am unwilling to leave the airfields in the enemys hands, as I do not want the enemys air force becoming active with those airfields being the only place they can get fuel from. After I eliminate that little raiding party I will work to consolidate my forces to finish pushing North to get all of those objectives, and then push South for the final Objectives in the South.

I am super pleased that I have not sustained a single point of damage yet, as the enemy has remained passive, except against my auxiliary forces. They have remained passive because I bypassed Gumrak, and all of the south and Central area as it is not necessary to take that area.

I have over 9000 prestige and am operating at 100% soft cap. :D I will be working today to finish Buzinovka Depot type up
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update:

I am on turn 12 so at the halfway point and I am pretty confident of my success this time around.

So turn 6 was that big boy round and something that brought the enemy out, but I was ready for them. :D
(That is the key.)

I seized that central district with the airfield, I forget the name of it, and the most Northern airfield.

The enemy came out fast to try and dislodge me from the central area, but I had my units ready to ambush them and tease them out into areas that I looked vulnerable but had my arty waiting to hurt them. :D

The biggest difficulty I had was in keeping the Northernmost airfield as 2 16 Strength T-34/41's hit my 2 Starred +1 Movement/+3 Def Pz4G reducing me to 7 Strength, I took the chance that there next attack would be weaker or that they would choose to buy replacements my self, 1 replacement since 2 units were next to me.
They did not stay passive and reduced me down to 4 Strength, but thankfully one T-34/41 was weakened to such a state that I was able to bring up my 2nd Recon to destroy it and allow my Pz4G to buy 4 more elite replacements which prevented them from taking it back over, as they went after a vulnerable aux unit in a truck that I set up as bait.
(This is the primary purpose for my aux units as they are not very effective at attacking or defending, but are great as bait and great at providing additional mass attack bonus.)

I also allowed the enemy take all central airfields and almost have the entire enemy destroyed and the central airfields back in my control. This turned out to be quite nice way of earning quick 75 prestige, and still have enough time to bring them to bear in the central push that will be coming.

A further note is to say my +3 Att/+1 Def 3 starred 2nd recon has turned out to be a great gap filler unit, to help add weight to a mass attack, sneak in and grab area, or surround unit.

Where I am at currently:

I have seized Northern most Main Objective, held by Strongpoint, and am busy handling the counter attack coming at me for seizing control of the area, should eliminate next round.

I am poised to seize control of the 2nd Northern Objective held by that Engineer unit, and arty, that is now out of ammo :D . As well as poised to move in on area that holds the KV-1C, this area will take probably 3 rounds to secure so I can start pushing in the South Central last 3 Main Objectives for the needed Decisive Victory.

The more disturbing news is there appears to be a 2nd wave push for the Central Airfield, I am going to need to divert forces over to eliminate the units coming at me, which will further delay my push, but I am hoping my air units do not let me down.

I am playing less game this year in order to do other things, but I am still hoping to finish Storming Stalingrad this weekend. I love the puzzle of this game, and trying to solve the intricacies of the challenge.
goose_2

Elkarlo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Elkarlo »

The Stalingrad battles are hard. They're dug in, and smgs are mean and numerous. The first battle, I didn't have the forces to really assault the south and that part lagged behind the rest. Which was ok as there weren't any strategic positions to take there.
Overall I felt that I was stretched thin and though I could go on the atck it wasn't easy
goose_2

Storming Stalingrad Spoiler alert SUCCESS!!!

Post by goose_2 »

Ok weekend down and it was a hard fought fight that had serious counters that I needed to reassess. reload, and replay based on their painful units coming out and hitting anything they could.

Turns 12-15 were the most critical, but once those were accounted for was able to finish out the rest no problem. I was able to minimize most of my damage, however when it rains the enemy attacks and is able to hit hard despite the artillery coverage.

Freidrich Pein was reduced to an anemic 2 Str.

I am super happy however with garnering the Decisive on this extremely difficult level, because I did not get it on my Manstein playthrough. Avoiding the South, as there are no Main Objectives there and they do not counter attack if you do not press their, along with avoiding Gumrak entirely in the North, is the way to go if you are playing and want to avoid unnecessary casualties and who needs to take on Colonel Raiynin anyway. I avoided all of that pain and it paid off, thanks to huckc's great playthrough.
Found here:
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=82946&start=100

I am now preparing for Stalingrad Docks, but unsure when I will find time to do this.
I watched huckc's playthrough and am looking at Deducter's and idlecleese's, but unsure any of these are the right approach and I may try something along the lines of what I did for my Manstein playthrough as that was successful.

It is those last 2 objectives that are so extremely difficult, Pavlov's House and that rail station.

I will try and type up the AAR, but it will probably be Wednesay, or even Friday before I get it done. :oops:
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Storming Stalingrad Spoiler alert SUCCESS!!!

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 pm Ok weekend down and it was a hard fought fight that had serious counters that I needed to reassess. reload, and replay based on their painful units coming out and hitting anything they could.
I admire your stamina, well done! :D
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 pm I am now preparing for Stalingrad Docks, but unsure when I will find time to do this.
I watched huckc's playthrough and am looking at Deducter's and idlecleese's, but unsure any of these are the right approach and I may try something along the lines of what I did for my Manstein playthrough as that was successful.

It is those last 2 objectives that are so extremely difficult, Pavlov's House and that rail station.

I will try and type up the AAR, but it will probably be Wednesay, or even Friday before I get it done. :oops:
I used five Fallschirmjäger and typically when I use them it's more for fun than optimization. Often it's extremely sub optimal :lol:

I think the key to Docks is just like Storming, avoiding unnecessary parts of the city. I'd also consider ignoring the troop transports on the river which will free up a ton of deployment slots that you can us to quickly bulldoze your way through the city up to the Rail station. The landed troops will bunch up trying to take the rail station back and can be easily disposed in the clear hexes leading up to it.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:49 pm
goose_2 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 pm Ok weekend down and it was a hard fought fight that had serious counters that I needed to reassess. reload, and replay based on their painful units coming out and hitting anything they could.
I admire your stamina, well done! :D
Stamina or insanity? It is really a judgment call. :mrgreen:
huckc wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:36 pm
goose_2 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 pm I am now preparing for Stalingrad Docks, but unsure when I will find time to do this.

I will try and type up the AAR, but it will probably be Wednesday, or even Friday before I get it done. :oops:
I used five Fallschirmjäger and typically when I use them it's more for fun than optimization. Often it's extremely sub optimal :lol:

I think the key to Docks is just like Storming, avoiding unnecessary parts of the city. I'd also consider ignoring the troop transports on the river which will free up a ton of deployment slots that you can us to quickly bulldoze your way through the city up to the Rail station. The landed troops will bunch up trying to take the rail station back and can be easily disposed in the clear hexes leading up to it.
Your use of Fallschimjaeger is amazing and gives me immense heart burn, but it works for you.
I agree with your assessment on worrying about the various troop transports, and watching your immense destruction on them was amazing, and something I just couldn't pull off at the same level, because I am not doing the Fallschimjaeger spotting trick.

I plan on bringing my 2 Henkels beefed up to try and get a 2nd hero on either one of them.

I plan on avoiding the South, unlike what I have done in the past, while concentrating on swinging North towards the T-34/41 Factory and steadily pushing towards Pavlov's house, with hopefully the consolidation of forces to take that train station. If I do not get the BA-64, I do not care.

Just want the Decisive, and since I did it before on Manstein I am pretty confident I can do it on this level.

The 2 I am the most afraid of are going to be Stalingrad Ruins as there is no one else that has an attempt on youtube or here on site, or at least a detailed account of success, my Manstein was unsuccessful at getting the Decisive...the other of course is Tatsninskaya. I do not think I have your raw playthrough on that one, in fact I think your playthroughs that you sent me end with Stalingrad Docks, so if you want to bless me with those raw playthroughs that would be great. ;)

Tatsinskaya is tough at almost any level.
goose_2

goose_2

Stalingrad Docks started

Post by goose_2 »

Busted through 1st 4 days of this epic battle...

It is going pretty good, I just have 1 of my KV-1B's overexposed and taking some attacks from the T-34 Factory area.
***Do not get units over extended***

Thankfully his defense has been valiant and brought out some of their units so I can dismantle them early, hopefully.

The bigger thing is the great way to get their units to leave their safe positions is to present them a seemingly vulnerable auxiliary unit that is backed up by unseen artillery, especially multiple artillery to help stem their assault.

To do this place a seemingly vulnerable StuG3B in close terrain next to a Conscript or SMG and they will attack much to your delight as they are assaulted by your other unseen artillery next to the StuG, or have their Regular Infantry or 37mm AA which both have 2 Spotting see that vulnerable unit but not the corresponding artillery guarding it and then their units come out and foolishly attack. Good Stuff!

My Uber Henkel and my Regular Henkel are both getting close to their Iron Cross 1st Class, as I am sinking as many transports as I can.

All in all I have only lost 1 auxiliary unit and will need to buy some in scenario replacements but am moving forward with this meat grinder.

I have Monday off, and am hopeful that with the extended weekend will find time to complete this insane fight and may even work to set up Escape from Stalingrad as that battle is much easier than Ruins.

Blessings on your weekend!
goose_2

goose_2

Stalingrad Docks Finished...

Post by goose_2 »

Over the weekend it took a while to get through but I got it done.

The hardest area to accost was the train station area because of the double team artillery team going on there that made assaulting it extremely challenging, but doable.

The easiest way to play this scenario is to use the limited sight range of the enemy to lure them into unsuspecting traps, since most of their units are SMG and Conscripts they cannot see why attacking your 6 or 7 strength Italian infantry is a bad idea because you have them supported with 2 or 3 artillery guns ready to devastate their number.

You can also use the 2 range sighters to lure the 1 range sighters out of their defensive positions to attack you like that as well. Because they see the weak inf but not the artillery behind it and they do not move because they are sitting on a Main Objective city.

Overall I did this to great effect especially at Pavlov's house as Pavlov himself kept being suckered into unwise attacks in this way as well as his SMG colleagues.

Next will be Breakout and Tatsinskaya as I will wait to start Stalingrad Ruins, I am hoping the new guy busting through a playthrough on youtube Soren Tjerry, will consider my request to take on that challenge as I have never seen a successful playthrough of that map.
goose_2

goose_2

Stalingrad Break Out done

Post by goose_2 »

I busted this out last weekend, just did not get a chance to report it here.

This battle is relatively easy in comparison, but it is a prelude for what is to come.

Tatsinskaya is a beast that requires much preparation and careful layout to pull off.

It is one of the top 3 most difficult battles on this great game.

I would rank these 3 as the most difficult:
Berlin most difficult battle as it should be.

Prokhorovka is 2nd as this is the largest tank battle in history.

Tatsinskaya is 3rd as it is when your units really take a pounding as you don't quite have the beastly Tiger's and your 3's and 4's are really beginning to show their age as their tanks have a lot more exp than you are used to dealing with.

I am 4 days into Ruins and it is very slow go.

I am trying a different tactic than I did on My Manstein where I am going after the 2 Southern Objectives first, and letting my Northern Objectives be overrun, as I am hoping there is enough time to wrap up the south before I swing North to fight back for full control of the Main Objectives.

Not sure it will work, but no way to research this map as very little help found here on the forum or an the interwebs.

Now to type up my aar, but with my new microphone I am stepping away from doing more of these aar's, just probably for my Super Hard and for the remaining Guderian to catch up to Brussels, and the remaining 44 Manstein East.
So many games so little time. ;) :oops:
goose_2

goose_2

Stalingrad Ruins on youtube

Post by goose_2 »

Ok folks so as I am stepping away from writing my extensive aar's and instead I am posting my games online.

I have uploaded up to day 8 and this morning busted through Day 11...

I needed to reload Day 9 as the 2nd wave came and I need to try to better prepare...

You can check out the latest post here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR4E-Or6mFA

Crazy stuff trying to bust through this incredibly complex scenario...that really has limited info on the forum.
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I haven't watched all movies yet, just got up until (including) day 7 so far.

I noticed you (readily?) move into city hexes with tanks?

The other thing I wanted to ask is how much focus on one part of the map is needed/feasible, i.e. at this difficulty level: is it actually possible to clear one part/side of the map and then roll it up towards the other side of the map (i.e. with almost all forces)?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I move into city hexes with tanks for 2 reasons.

1) I know they do not see nor will they attack that hex the next day.

2) I know they will attack that hex and I have it backed up by artillery or I am using a tempting aux unit so a core unit is not attacked. I could explain that better the next time I do it.

The 2nd part of your observation is something I will be attempting as I have most of my force in the South and want to wipe them out there so I can swing them back around with enough time to stop that large 2nd wave overwhelming me at the present
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

So now I watched days 8-11.

I would be interested to see the day 9 Soviet attack, in case you still have the file but no worries if it's too much hassle to upload it, etc.

Regarding focusing on one part of the map, especially now as you are at day 11 with two Soviet attacks: do you think it would be possible to approach this map from one side only right from the start/day 1 (i.e. at this difficulty) or would you run out of time? I just think this is one major problem of these encirclement battles (Kesselschlacht) as you might not have enough troops to hold nor to clear the area at any side of the map… I am asking as I don’t recall anymore since I only played this map once some time ago already and of course on a much lower difficulty level…
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:11 pm So now I watched days 8-11.

I would be interested to see the day 9 Soviet attack, in case you still have the file but no worries if it's too much hassle to upload it, etc.

Regarding focusing on one part of the map, especially now as you are at day 11 with two Soviet attacks: do you think it would be possible to approach this map from one side only right from the start/day 1 (i.e. at this difficulty) or would you run out of time? I just think this is one major problem of these encirclement battles (Kesselschlacht) as you might not have enough troops to hold nor to clear the area at any side of the map… I am asking as I don’t recall anymore since I only played this map once some time ago already and of course on a much lower difficulty level…
Yeah I am itching to try and record day 12...just haven't found time as I actually needed some sleep ;)

But I may find some time, maybe...

About your focusing idea...I did that for Manstein...attacked the North and removed that as a threat and then worked my way south and then ran out of time to take back the 2 south east objectives, so I am trying it this way this time.

My next video will explain my thoughts on what I need to do for the last half, of course this all changes as the game is played
goose_2

goose_2

Day 12 Stalingrad Ruins

Post by goose_2 »

Just posted this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cld7R9U9Syk

If you were to watch any day of this battle this would be the one to watch. Battle get's intense, but it is a wonderful chance to showcase many of my various tactics including some very clever force surrender tactics and trap setting.

After watching that episode you should be able to get a better idea on my strategy and how I am able to pull off many of the crazy hard scenarios that I do.

Ask me any questions.

Thanks for the feedback and continued interest in my favorite and only game I play.

I have finished recording day 13, 14 and 15...and I am beginning to think that Decisive Victory is within my grasp. ;)
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Just watched days 12-15.

I agree, I think it is looking much better by now and thanks for your thoughts on tanks in city hexes.

In addition, I agree on the forced surrenders (i.e. to gain prestige and to not have to kill all units). However, by doing so, it also seems that you are sometimes putting single units and/or even entire positions at risk a bit, don't you think so as well... ;)
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:16 pm Just watched days 12-15.

I agree, I think it is looking much better by now and thanks for your thoughts on tanks in city hexes.

In addition, I agree on the forced surrenders (i.e. to gain prestige and to not have to kill all units). However, by doing so, it also seems that you are sometimes putting single units and/or even entire positions at risk a bit, don't you think so as well... ;)

Pete, buddy, you need to get on youtube signed in style and time stamp what you are asking in your question about my units being at risk, because I really try not to put core units into vulnerable positions...so need more info.
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

OK, will see what I can do regarding youtube. Anyways, nothing has really happened yet, I just thought some of your units were fairly close to Soviet flags and you never know what might come out of these... :)

Return to “Panzer Corps”