New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

Post by goose_2 »

Ok,
I am in 1945 in my Blind Guderian West Campaign, probably only going to be able to play the losing route for this playthrough based on the difficulty and playing blind.
I am in 1944 East on my Manstein playthrough which is just brutal, and will have to accept more and more Marginal Victories as the forces arrayed against me are insane.

With that said, I am thinking of starting a new playthrough at a progressively more difficult level just because I am insane, and inspired by Keldorkatarn aka Lt. Joker's and Braccada's new playthrough. (I have been waiting forever for either of these 2 super stars to tackle this monstrous campaign for the longest time so super pleased to be watching this, at the same time still anticipating Night Phoenix's continued progress to be the only player to display an online playthrough of the entire Grand Campaign.)

With that said here are my thoughts on starting an insane difficulty level that I want to tray out, but wanted to get the forum's thoughts first.

Here is what I am calling it: Double Rommel/Double Field Marshall/ Progressively Manstein difficulty

Here are the parameters:
Field Marshall settings with tweaked settings
25% prestige earned
25% experience earned
(Throughout Campaign)
Here is where it gets progressively difficult
1939 enemy has 1 extra strength point
1940 enemy has 2 extra strength points
1941 enemy has 3 extra strength points
1942 enemy has 4 extra strength points
1943 enemy has 5 extra strength points
1944 enemy has 5 extra strength points and I have -1 strength points
1945 enemy has 5 extra strength points and I have -2 strength points.

Unsure if I should touch the time to accomplish the scenarios, as sometimes longer would be more painful, other times shorter would be more difficult.

Thoughts?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

Post by captainjack »

I like the idea of progressively harder settings (though perhaps not for my playing skills).
If you make it to the end you should be allowed to add at least one gold star to your signature.

But wait, there's more - how about blind playthrough where you never look at the screen after deployment...
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

captainjack wrote:
But wait, there's more - how about blind playthrough where you never look at the screen after deployment...
Yes!! That's the ticket.

On a more serious not I have been thinking about the 80% option.

80% prestige earned
80% experience earned
-2 turns
enemy has 2 extra strength points.

It strikes me as doable but a challenge. [Easier than Manstein?]

Double Rommel/Double Field Marshall/Progressively Manstein difficulty looks much worse than ultimate by GC44 & GC45.
One should finish GC45 on Manstein before trying it with a much weaker army.

Note there already is Progressive Rommel available, it is called soft cap.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

dalfrede wrote:
captainjack wrote:
Yes!! That's the ticket.

On a more serious not I have been thinking about the 80% option.

80% prestige earned
80% experience earned
-2 turns

Double Rommel/Double Field Marshall/Progressively Manstein difficulty looks much worse than ultimate by GC44 & GC45.
One should finish GC45 on Manstein before trying it with a much weaker army.

Note there already is Progressive Rommel available, it is called soft cap.
Thanks for the thoughts...Soft cap does not scare me, as I have learned tools to handle the detriment to your income.

Limit Overstrength...
ALL SE Units must be Tanks, upgraded to top tank at time of availability, unless overstrengthened than wait till it is lost.
Wait to deploy all units and fill in gaps as needed and reduce the effect of soft cap.

These 3 things have greatly reduced the effect of Soft Cap, and has led to me having over 100,000 in prestige in 44 East on Manstein, so I am looking for an even greater challenge...
But still open to thoughts and tweaking, as that 25% prestige starting out with will greatly diminish my ability to build up the kind of reserves I am used to, and I am hoping to learn to utilize even greater diversity than I have even now, thanks to Night Phoenix's work in this area I have been opening up my book on unit consideration.

The 2 Biggest changes from previous run being the use of Nebelwerfers and switching any Infantry unit with +1 Spotting to a Kradschutzen, extremely cheap yet effective Recon Inf, that has a +4 Spotting Range, just wish it was created with Recon Movement.
goose_2

dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

goose_2 wrote: The 2 Biggest changes from previous run being the use of Nebelwerfers and switching any Infantry unit with +1 Spotting to a Kradschutzen, extremely cheap yet effective Recon Inf, that has a +4 Spotting Range, just wish it was created with Recon Movement.
Nico's equipment mod has Kradschutzen recon move.
Just download his latest version and place it into a DLC's Data folder. No overwriting.
Only that DLC will use that equip file, will not effect the main campaigns or other DLCs.
Does not require any other changes.
Nico made for people who don't want to mess up their installs.
Deleting the file removes it's affect.

Note a new equip file takes effect for a fresh started scenario, ie loading a saved game will use old equip file. If it is a last turn the next scenario will use the new file.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

dalfrede wrote:
goose_2 wrote: The 2 Biggest changes from previous run being the use of Nebelwerfers and switching any Infantry unit with +1 Spotting to a Kradschutzen, extremely cheap yet effective Recon Inf, that has a +4 Spotting Range, just wish it was created with Recon Movement.
Nico's equipment mod has Kradschutzen recon move.
Just download his latest version and place it into a DLC's Data folder. No overwriting.
Only that DLC will use that equip file, will not effect the main campaigns or other DLCs.
Does not require any other changes.
Nico made for people who don't want to mess up their installs.
Deleting the file removes it's affect.

Note a new equip file takes effect for a fresh started scenario, ie loading a saved game will use old equip file. If it is a last turn the next scenario will use the new file.
Yeah I know about mods, but am unable to implement them because I am technologically retarded
goose_2

captainjack

Post by captainjack »

dalfrede wrote:On a more serious not I have been thinking about the 80% option.

80% prestige earned
80% experience earned
-2 turns

That sounds like the kind of challenge level I could just about cope with. I've done 80%/80% and +2 strength before but not together.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I thought about this a lot this weekend, while I was away from the game at my in laws.

So, I start with 400 prestige in Poznan, GC 39 at 25% prestige.

An anemic amount to say the least.

So, what should I buy?

I cannot buy 4 units with that much prestige before I am "awarded" with Recon Rudel on Round 2.

So I will be stuck with only purchasing 3 units in this scenario.

So which 3 should I purchase?

My thinking is to purchase 2 75mm arty's with trucks, that I will place South to help push forward and eventually take the needed areas for a Decisive Victory.

Once I acquire enough prestige at some point to either purchase a Gebirsjaeger or a recon.

I am thinking I will want to up my use of recons to help surround, suppress, surrender on a much greater scale that I feel will be needed at this play level.

Thoughts?

What would you purchase with your 400?

Thanks for sharing
goose_2

sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

Infantry or Gebirgsjäger. Until Fallschirmjäger become available. If the 2018 tournament taught me anything, then its the power of German paratroops against regular infantry of other countiries, especially the minor one. 75mm is a good choice, too. I don´t think there are enough units on the map to make surrounding a viable standard tactic yet. Perhaps from Warzava on.
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 »

One thought is that you can initially purchase artillery without trucks. You can upgrade them later - even mid-scenario if you can get them to a captured city hex. The cost should be the same.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

TSPC37730 wrote:One thought is that you can initially purchase artillery without trucks. You can upgrade them later - even mid-scenario if you can get them to a captured city hex. The cost should be the same.
I considered that, but since I can only afford to buy 3 units no matter how I configure it, I want to make the most use out of these units as quickly as possible, to do that, especially with just a 2 range, I need trucks.

I never thought I would say this but horse transport would be a super nice option.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, snowball and TSPC
goose_2

dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

goose_2 wrote: I never thought I would say this but horse transport would be a super nice option.
Nico's equip mode has horse transport. :)
Horse transport=15.

You have not explained the purpose of the play through. Double Rommel may prevent you from buying more aircraft, or even build a useful army.

A progression to Double Rommel would allow you to build an army. As is, you may not make out of GC39 yet alone GC43.
TSPC37730 wrote: One thought is that you can initially purchase artillery without trucks. You can upgrade them later - even mid-scenario if you can get them to a captured city hex. The cost should be the same.
City =12, VH= 25 , you won't be buying many trucks during the scenario.

Mods come in varying degrees of difficulty to install. If you can figure out how to email replays to hurly you should be able to install Nico's equip mod. If hurly comes over to pick up your replays he could install it. Or you could hire a local 16/yo to do it.

Most of Nico's mods are easy to install. The equip mod is the easiest.
I Avoid any mod that requires GME, it does not play well on my Mac.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

dalfrede wrote:
goose_2 wrote: I never thought I would say this but horse transport would be a super nice option.
Nico's equip mode has horse transport. :)
Horse transport=15.

You have not explained the purpose of the play through. Double Rommel may prevent you from buying more aircraft, or even build a useful army.

A progression to Double Rommel would allow you to build an army. As is, you may not make out of GC39 yet alone GC43.
TSPC37730 wrote: One thought is that you can initially purchase artillery without trucks. You can upgrade them later - even mid-scenario if you can get them to a captured city hex. The cost should be the same.
City =12, VH= 25 , you won't be buying many trucks during the scenario.

Mods come in varying degrees of difficulty to install. If you can figure out how to email replays to hurly you should be able to install Nico's equip mod. If hurly comes over to pick up your replays he could install it. Or you could hire a local 16/yo to do it.

Most of Nico's mods are easy to install. The equip mod is the easiest.
I Avoid any mod that requires GME, it does not play well on my Mac.

That's the challenge is to push the limits on what is doable, I am playing on Manstein, and find that most units have 4 0r 5 stars of experience in 44 East and have over 100k prestige.

So wanted to step up the difficulty level. As far as mods go, I would love to have someone show me how to apply, unfortunately none of my kids are extremely tech savvy, although they are more savvy than I am. I am ok with game as is, the 2 mods I wish I had are Battlefield Europe, and 1939 so I could place open games on the MP forum, as that is a super fun mod to play someone. 1941 I found to be too cumbersome, whereas 1939 builds up in complexity and a much more doable level.

I am sure their are a ton of mods that have Campaigns that I would love, but unless I had someone sitting there walking me threw it I am afraid that I will just continue with the base game.
goose_2

captainjack

Post by captainjack »

For 3 units in 39 I'd suggest gebirgsjagers for good stats at a decent price. Maybe one could be normal infantry if you plan to upgrade when grenadieren become available.
I think I'd avoid buying tanks, though if given a Panzer 1A, it's probably worth the 13 or so prestige to upgrade to a 1B.

The other cost saving is maybe omitting aircraft and using only AA instead. It works OK in Soviet Corps and your AA gets a decent time to acquire experience.
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

I have conquered Prohkarovka at Rommel with about 21000 prestige after refurbishing some hurt units - this is my third try at Dlc East and remember most prestige is to erned before 1944 - so interested to find out how you get 100000 at (late?) 1944?
Compared to earlier tries I have dramatically lowered cost already, although there is more room to do this I guess...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

ptje63 wrote:I have conquered Prohkarovka at Rommel with about 21000 prestige after refurbishing some hurt units - this is my third try at Dlc East and remember most prestige is to erned before 1944 - so interested to find out how you get 100000 at (late?) 1944?
Compared to earlier tries I have dramatically lowered cost already, although there is more room to do this I guess...
look at my aar on Manstein it goes into detail there

but these 4 rules were applied pretty much throughout

1) Don't buy elite replacements at all, or rarely, throughout 39-41. They are not needed because you hit experience cap pretty easily.

2) Almost never buy in scenario replacements. This cannot be avoided sometimes on Manstein.

3) Buy a large amount of reserve forces that if one gets a terrible hero, like +1 Spotting on artillery, you can sell off and start over, and so you have experienced forces when you start losing units.

4) Most important: Suppress, Surround, Surrender. Learning to do this sets you above and beyond most other players and helps garner a lot of prestige.

Hope this helps.
goose_2

ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

goose_2 wrote: look at my aar on Manstein it goes into detail there

but these 4 rules were applied pretty much throughout

1) Don't buy elite replacements at all, or rarely, throughout 39-41. They are not needed because you hit experience cap pretty easily.

2) Almost never buy in scenario replacements. This cannot be avoided sometimes on Manstein.

3) Buy a large amount of reserve forces that if one gets a terrible hero, like +1 Spotting on artillery, you can sell off and start over, and so you have experienced forces when you start losing units.

4) Most important: Suppress, Surround, Surrender. Learning to do this sets you above and beyond most other players and helps garner a lot of prestige.

Hope this helps.
Hi - I think Im using just about use all the tricks to save prestige (but will welcome any suggestions not mentioned here):
-I play with the 35-39 MOD, which gives me more time to aquire prestige since it starts the battle in 1935.
-I only started using elite replacements in 1942
-my infantry is using trucks instead of tracked vehicles (saves prestige when using replacements)
-Im playing with 1.20 rules, so can use the surrender bonus - which I use every single time when the occasion arises (though I must admit that a surrendering unit does not pay back much prestige, nowhere compared to the amount of prestige a unit costs when buying it)
-I conquer each city if time allows me (turns left before end)
-I sell just about every captured unit (apart from Mathilda II, Somua, the first KV-1B (upgraded to German units) and 2 SU-122's)
-I standard overstrength only artillery (1) and divebombers (2) and occasionally 1 to 3 infantry (like for Stalingrad)
-I think I have used in-game replacements 4 times between 1935 and august 1943 - standard in between scenarios
-I guess I have have DV's in 95% of the scenarios up until now (not replaying a scenario again and again until I have a DV)

Currently I have:
-12 infantry
-12 tanks (1x MkIVH, 2x Panther D, 9x Tiger)
-3 AT (Elefant)
-3 reconaissance
-11 artillery
-2 AA
-8 fighter (all Fw.190)
-4 dive bomber
-1 strat bomber
-1 armoured train (comes as bonus with 35-39 MOD)

I could have saved prestige by playing with all Mk.IVs, cheaper AT and less of each, but the difference between my 21k points (now Dnipropetrovsk) and your 100k, with all the methods I use mentioned above - I dont understand...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I guess I do not understand that either, based on what you are saying I would have a ton of prestige.

I literally have 100 units as of now, started Babryusk 1944 last night, but may need to rethink layout as Northern force is struggling.

I try and keep the soft cap as close to 100 while still using units that will garner desired results.

I do a lot of force surrender, and do you pay attention to soft cap?

I have sold very little equipment and yet I have so much more prestige. I guess watch my matches that are posted, and watch how I acquire close to 700 in prestige by the start of 1940 and by the end of 1940 have 20193 in prestige to play with and an army consisting of 59 units.

This was what I was able to build up in just the 2nd year of battle, compare that do what you were able to do and I received I believe 4 Marginals in that year alone.

I did not think I would be able to attain as much prestige as I have been able to garner, it has been a fun competition with Night Phoenix as trying to keep double his Rommel run.

I am unsure if I will be able to continue this, but it is fun trying.

Right now, I keep force surrendering so many units every single battle, as they only need some suppression before my units can push them hard with a great hit to force the rest of the unit to surrender.

I wish I had the equipment to record how I pull this off, but I am technologically retarded and still living more or less in the 1990's in terms of technology in my home.
goose_2

ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

I have bypassed the soft cap manually by changing the PC registry values - maybe that is causing it? Was a suggestion elsewhere on the forum...
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

ptje63 wrote:I have bypassed the soft cap manually by changing the PC registry values - maybe that is causing it? Was a suggestion elsewhere on the forum...
PC registry values ??
Editing the gamerules.pzdat file it the way it's done.
ptje63 wrote:I have conquered Prohkarovka at Rommel with about 21000 prestige after refurbishing some hurt units
You will not get 100,000 prestige on Rommel, unless you are playing Nic'o's upgrade and are exiting all your aux units and selling them off.
And maybe not even then.

The 35-39 MOD has horse transport, can save prestige by using it.
Note: The 35-39 MOD has it's own equip file which must be copied to use in other campaigns. The same is true for gamerules files.
Each campaign has an 'overwriting' gamerules file so you must edit it in each campaign for it to work.

Return to “Panzer Corps”