Choppy scrolling

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Epperaliant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Choppy scrolling

Post by Epperaliant »

Why does this game has so much stuttering/choppiness while scrolling?

It's basically a 2d board game, but when the screen is crowded the scrolling becomes sickness inducing.

I am on windows 10, already tried all compatibility modes, windowed full screen, no cache and messing with Nvidia panel.

The videocard is a gtx 660 and the cpu is a i5 6600k.
8 gb of ram and an SSD.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Choppy scrolling

Post by zakblood »

resources free is what matters in most games, you could have twice the cpu and memory and GPU power and still have issues if you have too many apps and programs running making the game struggle more, if it was an engine issue, everyone would post about the same issue, but they don't, so, here's some tips for windows 10
3.jpg
3.jpg (84.46 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
has less running on startup, not more
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

1.jpg
1.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
some games work better with older tech added, it comes included with windows 10 but isn't loaded by default
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

5.jpg
5.jpg (185.52 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
the game bar, serves no point in any almost game, so disable it, and if a given game does use it, just enable it for that one, not all the others, as it only takes resources and if not needed, like everything why have it pre loaded,

now on the subject of pre loaded apps in the start up,...

take for an example, word

MS word loaded each and every time windows loads? why?

disable it and then try and load word, with it in the start up on a SDD in windows 10, it loads in less than a few seconds, take out the pre load and reboot and retry, same result, so rather pointless tbh having it each and every time, but then see resources free with it pre loaded and then compare without pre loaded, only a little gained, but with each and every app taking up a little, it all adds up,...
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

8.jpg
8.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
power? makes any difference?

well again try it, on a laptop it's used the save the battery life, dims the screen, lowers the cpu use, eg cut the amount of speed it does just to save the battery.

on mains and on a desktop, who cares about the planet when gaming?

you don't buy a I7 to have it work as an I5, you don't buy a I5 to have power saving mode cut it down to a I3, so turn it to max.

turn off any screensavers and all power saving modes, and run on max, if you leave the pc, turn off the monitor, it's that simple.

if you pc overheats, buy better fans or get a better case with better airflow and cooling.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

junk installers, just an example one, but there are plenty of others who did it on bundle installers,...
1.jpg
1.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
install only what you need, not all the junk they want to you to install, less junk, more space, less apps and programs running, more resources free, and happier gaming
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

ps, here's my test pc spec, which is used to test all the games here

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Display Memory: 12221 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4053 MB
Shared Memory: 8168 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

with a standard HDD and other test pc with a SDD, same spec

i have no issue in game or any slow down, and all my drivers are the latest, it's a clean install of windows 10, not a updated version, as there's been 5 so far, that's 5 full installs of windows 10, so if you have upgraded from windows 7 or 8, your pc install of windows maybe X number of years old, nothing fixes software or speed issues quicker than a fresh clean install, i do a clean install monthly, then again i do more installs and uninstalls than most.

if you post a report i can offer more advice if you wish, but your spec should be fine to run the game as designed

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the file to a zip and attach to a reply if you wish,...
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

Thanks for the detailed support.
Unfortunately, my pc was already clean, with minimal start-up programs, full performance mode activated, no game bar and very clean latest Nvidia drivers.

I had hoped for the directplay thing, but it was ON by default.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

that's a surprise, as it's off by default on all windows 10 versions, so you may have enabled it yourself for something else maybe then, so now for the report?

if you want to dig a bit deeper?

as with 8gb of ram and a 2048 MB GPU, there should be more than enough for smooth game play with a i5 6600k in the mix, what screen res are you using, and if you say 4k, then you have your answer all ready, but guess it's something lower like my own tbh

with the game the age of how it is, most error have been sorted and fixed ages ago,

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=30541

and the advice offered in the support link fixes 99% of questions now asked tbh, so anything else left out is normally hardware or software based, drivers, resources or a poor AV issue etc

have you run any temp checks on the card? overheating issues etc overclocked in the past, dusty or slow fan speed etc etc? just idea off the top of my head.
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

Resolution is 1360x768 and the machine is practically idle while running the game as far as consumed resources. Temps are fine.

The issue is really worsen when there are many things on screen, and particularly on desert maps.
Removing the hex grid and running as admin improves it, but it is still very bad.

I thought that v-sync could fix the issue, but the game flat-out ignores ALL the Nvidia panel settings :(
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

I noticed that reducing the scroll speed makes the stuttering more bearable.

That's a little relief, but it would be nice to completely solve this.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

are you on the site version or steam?

both are the same tbh, just that ones users a overlay, and the one doesn't, from your screen size, i kind of think your on a laptop? i'm i correct?

and when you saying running as admin improves it? all games needs to be installed and played as admin from a full administrator account, so the correct file permissions are setup and given, without, issue can arise, is it a upgraded from a previous version of windows etc, or a clean install?

it's hard to say or offer much more tbh, as without a report i'm kind of firing blind,...
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

zakblood wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 pm are you on the site version or steam?

both are the same tbh, just that ones users a overlay, and the one doesn't, from your screen size, i kind of think your on a laptop? i'm i correct?

and when you saying running as admin improves it? all games needs to be installed and played as admin from a full administrator account, so the correct file permissions are setup and given, without, issue can arise, is it a upgraded from a previous version of windows etc, or a clean install?

It's a desktop pc with a crappy monitor. Might actually be the culprit.

Anyway, the game seems bearable with lowered scroll speed.
Will try to have a play session tomorrow and report back.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

ok thanks and good luck, and again sorry for your issue, we all know it's pain at times, hardware and software and games, my test pc's are all over 5 years old plus
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

Nope, it's terrible, I just cannot play, on some scenarios it get HORRENDOUS.

I got the Steam version. Is there anything I can do?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i just haven't got enough information to go on to offer any more advice, so unless someone else chips in, no not off the top of my head on this one
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

Is there any way to redeem my steam key and get the slitherine version?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

no, doesn't work that way around, buy from the site and you get a free steam key, but from steam and or GOG etc, and that's the only one you get, sorry :(
Epperaliant

Post by Epperaliant »

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i have the game, site and steam version, same windows 10 pc, no issues, so not everyone, but a few yes for one reason or another, but unless a common ground can be found why some have it and others don't, it's harder to say what' s wrong or even if it's a game problem at all, and not a software / hardware driver conflicts, as atm, without enough reports, there's not alot to go on other than guessing and offering some advice, which works for some, but not everyone.

Return to “Panzer Corps”