SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

dalfrede
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

Post by dalfrede » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:50 pm

PeteMitchell_2 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:31 pm
Is there another tank capturable at Gela Defense, are you sure? Maybe you mean Salerno Defense?
Oops you are correct.

PeteMitchell_2
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:28 pm

So I started with Anzio Landing today... it's really very nice and interesting... but I need to become more careful as I actually want to play scenarios only once… and I also don’t want to lose core units if I don't really have to… ;)

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Just finished Anzio Defense once… it’s again very nice… except for the fact that I burnt through all my prestige (partly for ranger upgrades at deployment and partly for reinforcements during the scenario) and lost two hellcats! :cry:

Nonetheless, I was able to hold all victory objectives (so it’s a DV) but I don’t think I will play it again during this playthrough… and I am also not sure yet I will continue with this path or rather try the Cassino one…
Attachments
(12.03.2019) Anzio Defense, Turn 15 DV.zip
(92.58 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 pm

I might try a more historic core at a later stage/playthrough… :shock: :mrgreen:

Here is where I am after Anzio Defense/before Anzio Breakout:
2x Eng
5x Rng
2x Rng SE
2x M4A3
1x Crab
1x Willys Jeep
1x SdKfz 234/2
6x M18 Hellcat
3x M7
6x M12
3x P-47D
2x P-47D SE
1x B-25B
1x B-17G

Thoughts welcome of course... and I may try to get two more hellcats again though... :wink:

Ah and by the way, not sure you knew... there is also a song about the Battle of Anzio: "When The Tigers Broke Free" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_ ... Broke_Free

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Hey everyone, I have been absent from the forum for the most part as am in training at work and unable to dink around on here much. :(

Fortunately I am going full steam on my channel.

As such Quick Update:
1) My favorite thing I did recently was play a speed run of Norway Multiplayer scenario with the infamous Braccada. In 2 hours we busted through that entire scenario with him as the allies and me as the axis. You can watch from either side as we have our turns posted on our respective channels. I am hoping to get the chance to do this again with me as the allies and Braccada as the axis. And once I am able to upgrade my internet, should be up and ready by the end of the month, then we should be able to both live play our way through much of the Campaign. He wants to let me play the axis while he plays the allies.

I am looking forward to this.

2) I am pleased to have finally started my 1945 East Campaign Manstein playthrough. I am busy uploading piece by piece that playthrough of the first scenario Goldap. Super happy to be putting this up. (By the by someone suggested an interesting idea for a playthrough. Doing a playthrough of Grand Campaign East 45 with the system set Core on Colonel. This sounded interesting to me and I love getting thoughts like that put in my head. Is there anyone else interested in seeing something like that?)

3) I am at Messina and should finish before the end of the week. I am uploading my vids to try and play catch up. After Gela Counter attack the remaining missions have all been relatively easy. The Tiger in Messina has caused some pain along with their FW-190A, but seem to be proceeding through the mines at a steady pace. (So far)

4) I am busy posting up the final mission of Grand Campaign West 45 Sealion. I should be finished I think with posting by this weekend.

So this brings me to my next thoughts and questions:

I like posting the 3 different playthroughs at the same time. It gives my channel variety and is nice to through in an occasional Multiplayer playthrough.
So that leads me into what should I playthrough next?

My thoughts:
1) New Campaign...I know, I know, again? (I love the Grand Campaign, I just never get tired of thinking up new and more complex ways to playthrough my favorite part of the single Campaign. So here are my thoughts on parameters:
NO Heroes: No SE units: Double Rommel with both sides having +5 Strength. (No more than 3 units of any unit type, 2 through 39 and 40 3 in 41 and beyond.)
So I sell off the great heroes like Oleh Dir, Rudel, Kerscher. All of them immediately after the battle I play them in. This way I am playing with more accurate heroes based on the ones system awards me. This will be hard as I have learned to love the Super Heroes.
Sell off the SE units as they are awarded. This would help generate much prestige, but will be a severe restriction on my composition and later army composition since I will not be able to stack my army with the best Panzers keeping my soft cap down and my army in the best shape.

+5 Strength to both sides so I can maximize my hero production since I will not be using super heroes.

Ok that is my first thought.

2) Soviet Blind Campaign. 50% prestige 50% Experience like my current. US playthrough. I have been thinking about this, but think I want to start after I finish my US Corps Blindthrough.

3) Afrika Korps at 25% Double Rommel. It has been a while since I played Afrika Korps, I remember how much fun it was, but unsure the interest.

4) Something else. What do you recommend? Is there something you would like to see and want to see me tackle.

I am open to ideas, but leaning currently towards the #1 idea as watching Lt Joker and Braccada's playthrough always gets me excited about playing through the Grand Campaign yet again.

(Yes, I know about the Super Hard Playthrough and I may still return to it, but as of right now it is incredibly frustrating as it is extremely difficult at the insane level I have created.)

I look forward to the feedback
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 pm

goose_2 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm
with the system set Core on Colonel.
What does this mean, "system set core"? Just every scenario standalone after each other?

For a new playthrough... well, I had shared some thoughts on this previously already. Anyways, based on the new choice: well, I would prefer anything different from the GC… (just my thoughts)... :mrgreen:

On the other side, it’s also nice to see a full campaign from the beginning...

Just for the records, it would be nice to see you play Battlefield Europe but yeah I know... :roll: :D

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:35 am

Hello Mr. Gooseman! I’m still trying to catch up on the playthroughs (very nice work BTW, and two movement heroes for your artillery, you lucky man!). And if you are a fan of 'Rat Patrol' you'll like Naples...

I noticed a question about upgrading your US infantry, and I have some bad news I’m afraid. The SE Airborne unit is broken; they have no upgrade into a ’43 version (an oversight) so they are actually worse than the regular Airborne ’43 unit. So SE Rangers are an excellent unit, but the SE Airborne is rather handicapped. Perhaps a nice HW infantry? I noticed you don't seem to use them?

For the Grand Campaign, I actually play without the custom super heroes, and it's fine. Without SE units it would be much more difficult of course. Will you be using captured equipment? Some of those can make a big impact (KV-1 for example).

Soviet campaign could be tricky without using the best equipment (especially building up an air force can be frustrating), and has quite a few defensive scenarios where good deployment is essential.

On the Steam version of the game, there are achievements available which might be interesting to try: one is finishing Afrika Korps while only buying Italian units (the starting German core units can be used, but any additional purchases must be Italian), and similar achievements for the Allied Corps with British or American units.

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:51 pm

ThvN wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:35 am
On the Steam version of the game, there are achievements available which might be interesting to try: one is finishing Afrika Korps while only buying Italian units (the starting German core units can be used, but any additional purchases must be Italian), and similar achievements for the Allied Corps with British or American units.
Interesting, although I don't have the Steam version… but is there a complete list of these challenges/achievements, I found these?

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/268400/achievements
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48774

goose_2

Post by goose_2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:11 pm

PeteMitchell_2 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 pm
goose_2 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm
with the system set Core on Colonel.
What does this mean, "system set core"? Just every scenario standalone after each other?
This means you start the campaign not importing your core from the previous years, but use the one the games starts you with. He recommended Colonel level as a challenge. I see myself doing that after my Manstein.

About Steam Achievements I have all accomplished sans 3
the only 3 I do not have All Campaigns complete. Not sure if I can get this achievement, word on the street is it is broken.
Bagration stand alone, and Germany stand alone.

Maybe I should try a live play of those when I finally get my upgraded internet. Thoughts? (I have tried Bagration a couple of times and had my a** handed to me, but why not try it live.) :mrgreen:

Yeah I upgraded my SE Rangers to an SE Airborne and will be trying to use despite the limitations.

I was thinking about using only one of each captured unit and selling the rest, I do not like the idea of not using any of it.

I look forward to more feedback on possible playthroughs to consider.
goose_2

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:47 pm

I see, thanks for the clarification, interesting approach with the system set core… most likely too difficult for me... On the live plays of these three scenarios, well why not…

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Just finished Anzio Breakout, it’s the most difficult scenario so far IMHO… oh man!

It took me several attempts but it is still possible to clear the entire map (however, just not the first time when playing blind at this difficulty, at least not for me). I also didn’t lose any core unit but massive casualties all along the way…

So in case you only want to play it once, my suggestion is to stay very close to your artillery wherever you go… ah and Schwerpunkt seems to become more and more important as well, trying to advance everywhere at the same time just gets you into unnecessary trouble…

I haven’t really decided yet if I go straight to France or explore the other path now in parallel as well… while I am curious, I don’t like to have “shadow armies”… or maybe I just take the other path next time, will see…

Any thoughts on France? I upgraded the M4s... I wonder whether I need a second Crab?

turn4441
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by turn4441 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 pm

So in case you only want to play it once, my suggestion is to stay very close to your artillery wherever you go… ah and Schwerpunkt seems to become more and more important as well, trying to advance everywhere at the same time just gets you into unnecessary trouble…

And this is blind, how???

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:18 am

turn4441 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 pm

And this is blind, how???
Oh I am very sorry, I didn‘t mean to disclose any secrets and/or spoil anything here. I also think I actually didn’t since my statements were fairly vague.

In addition, goose_2 is a very good and experienced player who has enough historical knowledge to know the Battle of Anzio, he stays close to his artillery anyhow and in case he plays Anzio Landing and Anzio Defense, he will by then know the map anyhow.

Furthermore and with all the respect to anyone here, “playing blind” seems a relative term anyhow since for example goose_2 played the US Corps beta and had also commented on the US Corps AARs of Cerberus51 and huckc in the past as well. So he must have seen something some time ago already which (IMHO) is perfectly fine... if you think differently, OK, no worries... but well, who am I to judge... nobody...

Again, in case I did spoil anything here I am very sorry and I didn’t mean to… no hard feeling, please.

And regarding myself, while I like playing blind... I have never claimed that I could bust through any map no matter what... I for sure can't...

turn4441

Post by turn4441 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 pm

You're fine. I apologize, I was feeling grumpy yesterday and didn't think before typing.

goose_2

Questions for me please....;)

Post by goose_2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm

So yeah I got my Shirt....so excited about this and will be wearing my first time at work this Friday.

I am going to have my eldest son shoot a short video that he says he will help me upload to my channel so you all can get a look at the Gooseman. ;)

This will not be a regular thing but something I want to capture as I want this shirt memorialized on my channel and for all eternity. Maybe use as my new icon.

I love this shirt if you couldn't tell. :mrgreen:

Any way here is where you come in.

What do you want to know about me? What have you been dying to ask but were afraid to?

Here are the topics I will try and cover, but want to really know what else I could answer from you guys.

1) Where did Goose come from?
2) What is the deal with ...Stay Lutheran My Friends...
3) Why the fascination with World War 2?
4) Why Panzer Corps?

Let me know what else you are curious about. Love this forum/love this game...and as always ...Stay Lutheran My Friends!!! :mrgreen:
goose_2

PeteMitchell_2

Re: Questions for me please....;)

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am

goose_2 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm
So yeah I got my Shirt....so excited about this and will be wearing my first time at work this Friday.

I am going to have my eldest son shoot a short video that he says he will help me upload to my channel so you all can get a look at the Gooseman. ;)

This will not be a regular thing but something I want to capture as I want this shirt memorialized on my channel and for all eternity. Maybe use as my new icon.

I love this shirt if you couldn't tell. :mrgreen:

Any way here is where you come in.

What do you want to know about me? What have you been dying to ask but were afraid to?

Here are the topics I will try and cover, but want to really know what else I could answer from you guys.

1) Where did Goose come from?
2) What is the deal with ...Stay Lutheran My Friends...
3) Why the fascination with World War 2?
4) Why Panzer Corps?

Let me know what else you are curious about. Love this forum/love this game...and as always ...Stay Lutheran My Friends!!! :mrgreen:
This is cool!
Maybe 5) How often/how much do you play? How do you make time for it?

dalfrede

Post by dalfrede » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Two points:
Goose
1) When Nico limits the number of Aircraft one can deploy in one of his scenarios, he adds a note to that effect. It limits people signing on to this forum and complaining that the scenario is broken.

Pete
2) The key to both Troina and Anzio Breakout is:
Do NOT try to catch a falling knife.

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:28 pm

dalfrede wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm
Pete
2) The key to both Troina and Anzio Breakout is:
Do NOT try to catch a falling knife.
Yeah, I think you are right... :mrgreen: next time, next time... I moved on by now and just finished Omaha Beach... and yes, I have thoughts to share but I won't as I don't want to spoil anything... :D

PeteMitchell_2

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Just finished Pointe du Hoc and cleared the entire map by the last turn. :D

It's a very decent map and with some good upfront planning enjoyable... however, the maps are getting bigger again and while Bocage country is nice in real life, it slows you down quite a lot as well... off to Carentan! :shock:

goose_2

Quick Question...

Post by goose_2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Ok so I did Salerno, I lost 3 units, and moving ahead, but I also tried Salerno Counter Attack and lost 3 units within the first few days and looking to lose even more. Basically I am being overwhelmed and want to try Salerno CA again, but the 2 episodes that contain the first few days disaster would be a lot to upload...now when I did the Gela CA the 3rd time I received 2 dislikes what I assume are from people that did not want to see a 3rd try on the map...

So should I save that 1st try and upload for interested viewers just to disappoint them with a 2nd try? I don't know, it seems people want to see me fail, but then are disappointed when I restart.

I will be honest, I am a little surprised I am having so much trouble at this difficulty level and with this unit composition.

So are you interested in seeing 2 episodes of my failed 1st try and then see my 2nd attempt which I will probably try later this week, I need something different so will prob's jump on my Manstein playthrough which is surprisingly more doable than my current blindthrough. :roll:
goose_2

Return to “Panzer Corps”