Most Important Star of Experience

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Most Important Star of Experience

Post by goose_2 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:50 pm

I wish I knew how to create a vote button thingy.

But I do not. :roll: :cry: :?

So, I am playing a huge longterm map in multiplayer. 1939 which is extremely fun but very time consuming.

Along with my many single player games I am playing it had me contemplating this question.

What do you think the most difficult/important star of experience it is to acquire in the game?

In multiplayer it is extremely important to get that 1st star of experience and can make the difference in your success in the game. It makes spending that extra prestige to maintain that star of experience sometimes very crucial, as such I have planes with 2 stars of experience that are devastating that I want to maintain that crucial initiative attack bonuses for my airforce.

But does that make the 1st star the most important or the 2nd star? As the 2nd star gets you the +1 in Initiative, and it is much more difficult to get that 2nd star rather than the 1st star which is much easier to acquire?

For me, I find the true game changing star of experience to get, keep, and maintain has to be the 4th star of experience. For AT's it gives you +2 in Initiative and +8 in Hard attack that is truly devastating.

It is so difficult to get up to that 4th star of experience, especially on the Field Marshall difficulty.

But what are your thoughts?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

dalfrede
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Most Important Star of Experience

Post by dalfrede » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:28 pm

goose_2 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:50 pm
What do you think the most difficult/important star of experience it is to acquire in the game?
That's two questions.
The most important is the first star, because it means the unit is no longer green.
AT, AA, and Fighter the stars are very important. +2 attack each per star.
I have found for Fighters Init is the most important trait. Shooting first for fighters is a big deal.
So the even stars are big deals.

The difficult stars are any on recon or AA because these units don't get many kills.
Recons are fragile, which makes their surviving long enough to get many stars difficult.
Willy's Jeep is the exception which shows the rule.
Which brings up a question I will ask on the PzC2 forum.

For reference from exp.pzdat
Exp.jpg
Exp.jpg (83.66 KiB) Viewed 431 times

huckc
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by huckc » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:59 pm

IIRC the game rounds up those 0.5x experience bonuses to the nearest integer which means it's the odd levels of experience that actually have higher effective gains, levels 1, 3, and 5. The more 0.5x a unit type has the bigger the effect, for units with no 0.5x bonuses like strategic bombers then it's not a factor.

So given the above and since each experience level bonus results in diminishing returns as a percentage of its previous stats then I'd say it's definitely the first star that's most important math-wise.

Intangibly? Hard to say :)

RVallant
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by RVallant » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:51 pm

In the GC I felt 3 stars was when I could reliably start using infantry to defend against the big boys in close terrain. Anything below three stars just got chewed up and below 2 were flat out decimated.

Everything else seems to do alright once they're at 2 stars, but then again, it really depends on the foes you're facing imo, if you're up against 5 star experienced troops then urgh. :P

PeteMitchell_2
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by PeteMitchell_2 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm

While I agree with what was said above, wouldn't it also be that every single star of experience is vital/critical as you progress in the GC over time, i.e. year by year to be able to keep up with the enemy (at least until including 4 stars)?

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by captainjack » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:15 pm

I think it is probably the first one in most cases. The dumb but true reason is that you have to get the first star before the rest. More constructively, the first star is often the most difficult to earn, especially beyond about 1940, as the difference between 2 and 3 star enemy and your green unit makes you very vulnerable. Even 1* lifts combat odds quite a bit so you will be targetted a lot before you get your first star.
But this is a generalisation and for AA fighters and AT it is probably 3rd or 4th, while strat bombers probably 3*for overall effectiveness or maybe 5* because bomber efficiency can exceed 100%. For bridgies and recon stars may be almost an irrelevance. And it will also vary accordibg to who and when you are fighting.

Return to “Panzer Corps”