Your favourite advanced difficulty settings?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Your favourite advanced difficulty settings?

Post by dalfrede »

Cavalry challenge Side Note.
In the PzC2 mid-Beta, it was discovered that the Kavs were the go to infantry :mrgreen:
The Devs then upped the entrenchment effects, which made engineers the prime infantry.

They then upped the Kavs' stats :D
And the cost from 80 to 290 :(
Beta5Army.jpg
Beta5Army.jpg (250.13 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Goose2, I'm already looking forwards to your AAR on double Rommel (double Blucher?) challenge. Don't worry, Nico's equipment file includes 36 cavalry for when prestige is short.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

captainjack wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:46 pm Goose2, I'm already looking forwards to your AAR on double Rommel (double Blucher?) challenge. Don't worry, Nico's equipment file includes 36 cavalry for when prestige is short.

Are you talking about Sealion on Double Rommel or something else?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Goose2, we're talking Cavalry Commander. Sealion is so 1940s!
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

captainjack wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:03 am Goose2, we're talking Cavalry Commander. Sealion is so 1940s!
Nah...too limiting in my opinion
goose_2

Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

captainjack wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:56 am I should finish editing the 39 scenarios this week.
I need to do a quick update of the equipment files and icons to bar motorised se units, add the tachanka/ horse drawn aa and tidy up a couple of captured units that don't currently allow horse transport (eg captured polish artillery in Warsaw).
:D
Horse transports and tachankas... Great work. I would gladly try the new equipment file.
I am finishing the Allied Corps on Rommel now and thinking about what to play next. Maybe I'll revisit the cavalry challenge or play the Biker (Kradshutzen) core to the bitter end.
Once I had an idea of a Fallschirmjager challenge (Or similar the LRDG challenge for the allies) - use just paratroopers/LRDG (always drop paratroopers them by air if possible) and the equpment they could use historically. Modified the equipment file a bit, but did not finish the campaign - maybe I'll try it again, It was fun and quite successful in some scenarios - the AI usually isn't ready for crazy paradrops.
Make love, not war.
Panzerpimp

Post by Panzerpimp »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:02 pm Are you talking about Sealion on Double Rommel or something else?
Triple Rommel Cavalry challenge Grand Campaign. :lol:
Make love, not war.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Panzerpimp, I just had visions of para transports, the late soviet airforce, 3* 85s and spaa. Yuck!
Does UK have SE paras? The extra ammo would be rather handy. Roll on the Tetrarchs.
Meanwhile, my cavalry brigade has just cleared out Modlin, so I need to update Warsaw and Skirmish with the Russians for tomorrow. It's wierd but fun. And if the fight with the R35 at Modlin is a guide, it's going to become wierd and completely hopeless in May 1940.
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

captainjack wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:33 am Does UK have SE paras? The extra ammo would be rather handy.
SAS, Special Air Service
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I have made it through Kiev in cavalry commander mode in Vanilla, playing at Colonel, AI level 2, reform units and dice chess.
I haven't played Vanilla campaign for years so it's an interesting challenge in its own right, although I definitely miss the greater depth of the DLCs.

So far, my little ponies have been very aggressive, taken a lot of casualties, but not that many units actually lost. I'm always using elite reinforcements for core units with at least 1*. Still struggling a bit with aux units - aircraft get disbanded and I award myself half prestige. Any units I can upgrade to cavalry or give horse transport to get converted in turn 1 or 2, otherwise kept as is but never moved more than a horse would. Recon and tanks aren't allowed to attack but can move around (to get in the way, surround, block) or take an empty city.

Equipment file modes - MG Zwilling (horse drawn cart, switches from weak AA to feeble artillery support), 75mm has 3 range (there is a 2 range 75mm SE infantry gun with 2 move for contrast). The SE one has +1 AD and AA compared with the standard one (yep, I got one of each). In mid 42 they get an upgrade to twin MG151. Awesome!
SE Cavalry has +1move, passive AD and recon move. Haven't got one yet.
SE artillery - horse drawn infantry guns (nope)
SE AT Czech 47mm with same attack stats as Panzerjager 1, but horse drawn.
Equipment file is mainly a tweak of what I usually use with some units blocked out - I got bored doing this, and just don't buy any motorised units.

The high movement makes for a more aggressive style than I'm used to but also allows badly damaged units to pull back and reinforce. It also improves chances of surrounding enemy units or of blocking areas to allow the artillery AA and AT to catch up. The zwilling carts are useful for protecting the towed guns and the 37mm AA is surprisingly useful for driving aircraft away - I even destroyed 7 aircraft solely with a 37 and two MG carts. Awesome!. Lost 13 infantry/cavalryunits and an aux recon, for 132 inf, 21 tanks, 3 recon, 30AT, 34art, 25AAm, 6 fighters and a tac bomber (I had an aux 37 which finished that off). Prestiget at end fo Kiev was 6370, even with full overstrength and only elite reinforcements. I think it would be near impossible with limited prestige and experience.

Best units: 4* 75mm gun, 3* 37mm AA. Favourite unit - got to be the zwilling carts

It's an interesting twist on conventional approaches, and while fighting tanks does get fun, I have managed to beat them without losing too much. The towed 37 with 2 move is surprisingly useful with a bit of planning and surrounding.
faos333

Post by faos333 »

Greatest fun for me is Manstein, lots of surrenders, needs thorough planning and advanced tactics but once we master it, after some trials, then is great!
Rommel nice but is mainly about mastering resources management.
Guderian have not tried yet.
Ultimate mode, insane difficulty, for master players only.
FM so and so
General ok

Ps Of course this depends on the campaign, your personal style of play, but it is good to keep on experimenting with the game.
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:56 pm

I played at Field Marshall along with Rommel difficulty level for my Blind US Corp Campaign,
I often read this "blind playthrough" on this forum. What does it mean ? Fog of War on ? :)
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

PanzerCro wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:20 pm

I played at Field Marshall along with Rommel difficulty level for my Blind US Corp Campaign,
I often read this "blind playthrough" on this forum. What does it mean ? Fog of War on ? :)
Yes, plus not checking the map nor the AI units before with Fog of War off... and not reading (no YouTube) about triggers, hidden counterattacks or bonus units up front... :shock: :mrgreen:
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Blind basically means the first time you play the campaign/scenario. This is often the most difficult, now that I think about it, I should have had that as one of the options on the most difficult setting. Blind is the most exciting in my opinion, because you can only do it once. There is very little left for me to play blind on this game, but it has taken me almost 6 years to get here.

Pretty impressive game

Best of all time in my opinion
goose_2

PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

goose_2 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:34 am

Blind basically means the first time you play the campaign/scenario. This is often the most difficult, now that I think about it, I should have had that as one of the options on the most difficult setting. Blind is the most exciting in my opinion, because you can only do it once. There is very little left for me to play blind on this game, but it has taken me almost 6 years to get here.

Pretty impressive game

Well...in turn based games ...I would put it in top3 of all time. For me Panzer General 1 is the best simply because I was way more emotionally attached to this game, I started to play it as 11yr old kid as absolute noob, and slowly got better and better and finally finished game in 2000. as 14/15 yr old. I beat every campaign on major victory and every campaign with every possible (victorious) outcome.

Panzer General 2 would be second because game looked graphical nicer while classic gameplay was there. Plus, with PG 2 it was first time we got bunch of mods and user-made campaigns (as original campaigns in the game were very short)

And on 3rd place would be Panzer Corps, due to it's unmatched replayability value.

:)
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PanzerCro wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 am

Well...in turn based games ...I would put it in top3 of all time. For me Panzer General 1 is the best simply because I was way more emotionally attached to this game, I started to play it as 11yr old kid as absolute noob, and slowly got better and better and finally finished game in 2000. as 14/15 yr old. I beat every campaign on major victory and every campaign with every possible (victorious) outcome.

Panzer General 2 would be second because game looked graphical nicer while classic gameplay was there. Plus, with PG 2 it was first time we got bunch of mods and user-made campaigns (as original campaigns in the game were very short)

And on 3rd place would be Panzer Corps, due to it's unmatched replayability value.

[/quote]
Oh Wow! I am really getting a taste of old school, and interesting to see peoples ages when they first played PG. I played PG too, but as an adult on my brother's playstation. I quickly learn to play it at the hardest levels and eventually even played the game on Ultimate General giving the ai 5 Stars of Experience and 500% on prestige. I would always get bored right at the end when you get to the US. 1 Scenario where you play against and defeat the US in one mighty blow always left me going, "meh".

I also played PG2 but did not nor still do not understand how to apply mods to my computer. :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :evil:

So my first time playing PC around Christmas 2014 I played the first Polish scenario and went straight to Norway I was disappointed because I remembered fondly the 2 scenarios in PG in Poland before going to Norway. So I splurged for the entire Grand Campaign 39-45 East and West. 11 Scenarios comprising the Polish and Norwegian Campaign? Oh Yes! Sign me up.

Then the real magic happened when I pressed the mp button and joined an open game on the accept a challenge tab, and then set up my own open games on the issue a challenge. A whole new world opened up for me, and now almost 6 years later I am still hooked. I try other games from time to time, but find myself missing the simplicity, yet complexity of good ole PC. It is my most consistent game joy I have ever had, for crying out loud, thanks to Night Phoenix taking a short hiatus I ended up getting my own youtube channel. Now everybody and their dog are playing PC2 and has a channel up. I may explore PC2 but as of the beta and my computers trouble handling of the interface I see myself sticking with good ole PC.

I am still thinking of new and different ways to play this great game, and so many of these maps are so well thought out that you cannot help but want to try them again and again. I still get excited everytime I get a +1 movement on an AA or artillery unit. I am a sap, but just can't help myself.

Still enjoying my PC shirt and love, love, love showing it off.
goose_2

PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

goose_2 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:33 pm
PanzerCro wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 am

I also played PG2 but did not nor still do not understand how to apply mods to my computer. :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :evil:

Still enjoying my PC shirt and love, love, love showing it off.
[/quote]

With every mod there were some "manual" in notepad file regarding how to install mod(s). I only had trouble when I needed to add new maps ,because some mods required new maps to be installed.

Regarding Panzer Corps t-shirt....I would love to see some PC and PC 2 official merchandise on slitherine page :)
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PanzerCro wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Regarding Panzer Corps t-shirt....I would love to see some PC and PC 2 official merchandise on slitherine page :)
Yeah I had to beg borrow and steal to get them to make me a shirt, I think they are afraid of getting any neo Nazi backlash from the sjw's out there. I know that I can get some strange looks when I wear my shirt out in public. I am not a neo Nazi, I love the game and love the history of ww2, I know there is a bunch of us out there and we would love to buy merchandise if it was out there, but are stuck with what we got.

Maybe someone will come up with a solution. Please :D :D :D
goose_2

captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I can't help with the shirt, but I agree with PanzerCorps replay value.
I started with PanzerGeneral Forever probably in about 2010, and had to play with weather off because I couldn't cope with it. I've been playing Panzer Corps since about 2012 and still enjoy playing, though I've never finished 45 East - I'm usually too exhausted by 44 East to carry on! Though I struggle severely with less than 60% prestige and experience (70% is plenty) and even +1 enemy strength is hard, I like self-imposed challenges like semi-historical unit structures and restricted upgrades. One day - don't hold your breath though - I will finally finish off my British and French mods. I'll probably be competing with Panzer Corps 3 by then. I might even find enough time to risk a multiplayer game after that.
PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

goose_2 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:46 pm
PanzerCro wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:49 pm

sjw's out there.
"Fascists of the Future Will Call Themselves Anti-Fascists"

-Winston Churchill-

Return to “Panzer Corps”