Reinforcements

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Reinforcements

Post by Erik2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am

In the 1.01 beta you can add which turn the unit will be available/appear.
But you can still only have 1 unit arrive at a given hex.
This restricts the ability to have ie a formation arrive at a map edge.

I believe this should be changed.
The editor probably needs an OOB list and the ability to edit a particular unit in this list.

That is, a unit with a later turn arrival is first placed on the map.
When the turn# is added it is removed from the map, but may be located in the OOB list.

Thanks
Erik

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:30 am

I don't understand what you are saying.

If you are concerned with formations, why not simply place units to appear as reinforcements adjacent to each other? Units are not allowed to stack at any time in Panzer Corps, so why should reinforcements be allowed to stack?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am

Kerensky wrote:I don't understand what you are saying.

If you are concerned with formations, why not simply place units to appear as reinforcements adjacent to each other? Units are not allowed to stack at any time in Panzer Corps, so why should reinforcements be allowed to stack?
OK, I just realized that you could add an extra map row leading onto the arrival hex and place the reinforcements there.
Sorry... :D

Carius
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Carius » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:11 pm

This would represent how a Division would arrive peicemeal into the battlefield along a road route that was at the edge of map. You could simulate lead recon elements arriving first. Then the armour formations with infantry and artillary bring up the rear which would arrive on later turns at the same point on the map.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Carius wrote:This would represent how a Division would arrive peicemeal into the battlefield along a road route that was at the edge of map. You could simulate lead recon elements arriving first. Then the armour formations with infantry and artillary bring up the rear which would arrive on later turns at the same point on the map.
Yes, I was thinking along those lines.
The only 'problem' with this solution is that you need to factor in the unit's movement value as well to force them to arrive on the map on the correct turn.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:44 pm

You can create this effect by extending the size of your map and/or staggering the speed at which units are 'activated' (turn 5 for unit 1 and 2, then turn 6 unit 3, then turn 7 for the rest).

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Kerensky wrote:You can create this effect by extending the size of your map and/or staggering the speed at which units are 'activated' (turn 5 for unit 1 and 2, then turn 6 unit 3, then turn 7 for the rest).
Yep, more than one way to skin this kitten.
I think we have a workable solution.
Thanks, gentlemen.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Actually I agree that the ability to have multiple reinforcements on the same hex would be nice. But it is a compromise between functionality and simplicity. I wanted reinforcements to be directly editable, just like any other units, and this imposed certain restriction on my implementation. If anyone has ideas how to improve existing solution and keep it simple at the same time, please share them.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I think what you came up with is the most practical. Any system that allows for stacking reinforcements in the same hex but configuring them to appear at different times will invariably run into problems if people figuring out and then start breaking triggers.

If I know X causes units to spawn at Z and Y also causes units to spawn at Z, what happens if I trigger X and Y simultaneously? Complicated issues like this will need solutions, and I don't really see any of those solutions being simple or elegant.

Personally, I try to use reinforcements as infrequently as possible. A crafty player will figure out the 'spawn' triggers and avoid them, or they could spawn camp/spawn block. With active/passive hold position, you cant try to spawn camp reinforcements, and then with the new triggers you can just active these new units and put them into a different mode at the appropriate time.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:18 am

Triggering reinforcements.
The turn trigger works very well, but I cannot get the map trigger to work.

I have added Zone-1 to a few selected hexes.
I want a group of reinforcement units to arrive when 1 friendly unit is occupying a Zone-1 hex.
I have added the map trigger to all these units, but they do not arrive on map.

Thanks
Erik

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Erik wrote:Triggering reinforcements.

I want a group of reinforcement units to arrive when 1 friendly unit is occupying a Zone-1 hex.

Thanks
Erik
Can you send me a saved game just prior to the moment when the reinforcements are supposed to appear? I'll check what goes wrong there. rudankort@rsdn.ru

Thx!

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:58 am

Rudankort wrote:
Erik wrote:Triggering reinforcements.

Thanks
Erik
Can you send me a saved game just prior to the moment when the reinforcements are supposed to appear? I'll check what goes wrong there. rudankort@rsdn.ru

Thx!
Files sent.
Erik

i just noticed that an air unit on the zone will trigger the reinforcement. That is probably not right.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”