Sedan report (scenario 15)

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Sedan report (scenario 15)

Post by nikivdd »

Simply a brilliant scenario. It all has what it should have. An attempt to sink the transports, and on every riverbank a counter-attack. I split my core into 2. One was going to Sedan from the north and east and the other half crossed the river to attack the units in Sedan from the rear. The north-west of the map is definately "do not enter". Capturing Sedan was not difficult with the help of the airforce. The second part of this mission is to advance towards the other objectives and then the enemy attacked the spearheads. My stuka's gratefully plunged themselves on the first CharB tank of this campaign before it could do serious damage. The other tanks were stopped by my other planes and artillery. Luckily i left some guards on the other side of Sedan because the enemy launched a counter-attack there as well. It was also easily repulsed. When tanks attack cavalry, i'm pretty certain what the result will be. Considering the whole picture of this scenario, it was well designed and balanced. The Ai picked a rather good moment to attack which was somehow coordinated with their planes. During this mission i bought another recon unit and another fighter (have 4 now). Usually to rule the skies is the ticket to victory. I decided not to invest in AA units during this test.
I finished at turn 13, with my core intact and leaving me with 533 prestige points.
I'm actually surprised with the diversity of missions.
charonjr
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by charonjr »

Sedan - Colonel - previous DV

After repairs and buying another Bf109 I am left with 850 prestige - got another elite Infantrie which will be disbanded.

I decided to send some forces (3 10,5cm, 2 Pioniere amd 1 recon) towards the NW despite the warning, lets see waht they will find ;)

While I took some losses (just HP, no units were lost) it is possible to just use brute force to push your way through the defenses in the NW - in total I used 6 artillery, 3 Bf109, 3 Ju87, 1 Ju88, 2 Pioniere, 2 PzIIIF, 2 PzIVD, 2 SdKfZ222, 3 Wehrmacht Infantrie and 1 Gebirgsjäger here (3 elite units).

The counterattacks towards Sedan were nice, overall another nice scenario - DV at turn 14 with 1600 prestige left (despite having to reinforce quite a number of units due to my reckless attacks - this seems a bit too high again).

CharonJr
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by monkspider »

Prestige was somewhat tight on this one, i started off with enough to get an appropriate amount of repairs (and over-strengthening my SS units and a few others) as well as buy another 109. I had about 200 prestige left. Like Nikkivd, I continue to be shocked by how diverse every scenario is and how each one seems to have unique strategic situations. The question in this one of course is how many units do you try to ferry across the river and how many do you use for the frontal assault on Sedan? It is an interesting question, but ultimately I tried to sneak the SS and a few other units in the rear and then use the bulk of my forces for a frontal assault.

My victory at Sedan may not have been as glorious as Moltke's was in 1870, but I did get a decisive victory with three turns to spare. That massive armored counter-attack did leave me reeling for a bit though. Well done on yet another very good scenario!

I was pleased to see another branching point at the end of this scenario, these different paths are going to add a lot of replay value to the campaigns. I decided to go the French route since most people seemed to be going the English route. We will see how it goes!

Also at this point, I will list my current force composition since I haven't done this in a while.

5x Wehrmacht Infantry
2x SS Grenadiers
1x Pionere
3x Panzer IIIs
2x Panzer IVs
1x Panzerjager
1x Recon (can't remember which model, but the one you start off the game with)
1x 88
3x 15cm Field Artillery
1x Sturmpanzer
3x1 ME 109s
1x Heinkel strategic bomber
1x Stuka
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

monkspider wrote:Like Nikkivd, I continue to be shocked by how diverse every scenario is and how each one seems to have unique strategic situations.
Lemme tell you, not even close to running out of ideas yet. :wink:
KentFL
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by KentFL »

I must agree, brilliant! I have been able to get DV on default setting. On my first attempt, I looked at my decimated forces and the rapidly increasing turn count and knew, I was defeated. I then studied the map. I used an infantry, two tanks and one artillery unit to capture the cities to the North (the more cities, the more prestige), while my force moved South. I then brought my North forces amphibious to the peninsula while my main force moved North after an amphibious crossing. I also attacked Sudan from the West with a Pionere and tank unit left on the West bank while attacking Sudan from the North and South. I was barely able to get a DV. This was my favorite, so far. Can't wait to see what else you have.

Sorry I don't have some great suggestions, I am enjoying it too much.
rilnator
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Sedan report (scenario 15)

Post by rilnator »

I got distracted from my game plan of focusing on Sedan when French units showed up to the south. When I did assault it was a bit disjointed and late.

I landed some troops to the north of the city and finally managed to punch my way through. I was held up at the bottleneck for a few turns and managed to just get a DV on the last turn. Didn't lose any units. Decided to name my new Souma tank 'SS Charlemagne'.

I'm loving all the coin I'm making in this campaign. I know I'll need it later in the east.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”