DLC 43 - beta 2: Orel

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

charonjr
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

DLC 43 - beta 2: Orel

Post by charonjr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:39 pm

FM - pre-build core

Reloaded to final Belgorod turn for a different approach to reinforcements and got a Pz IIIM for my troubles. After some more selective reinforcements (mainly using normal reinforcements if the unit would still stay with its current number of stars and only then use elite reinforcements to overstrength them) I ended up with 0.6k prestige this time. Just enough to upgrade another BF 109G to a Fw 190A, leaving me with exactly 10 prestige.

Went on the offense and send 4 units south to help the Italian in addition to 6 units clearing the partisans in my back.

It might just be my imagination, but the "chess" results look a lot better to me. And it looks like I found where the Iron Crosses grow (well, at least EK2s) ;) - tons of them here now.

Took Medvezkha at turn 12 and left Pozdeevo open for a few more kills.

DV at 20/20 - 2k prestige - after the 7k scenario bonus and elite reinforcements (normal for units which would keep their stars that way, only then overstrengthening) prestige is down to 6.3k. Will sell my SE Grenadiers (too slow for my taste and can hope for another tank this way) during the next setup, so prestige before upgrades should be a bit higher. Not sure how I should feel about basically losing 0.7k prestige during the scenario itself, but it is ok I think, so the overall difficulty looks fine.

Gained 3 heroes this time, the heroless units with the highest number of kills has 172, as mentioned before IMO there should be a guaranteed hero earlier than that.

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: DLC 43 - beta 2: Orel

Post by Longasc » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:53 pm

Did you use the railroad to send troops south?

I forgot that last time and think it makes quite a difference.

charonjr

Post by charonjr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:19 am

Yup, those 4 units mentioned above, IIRC a 17cm, a KV-1C, a StuG IIIG and a StuH 42 used the rail, some Wurfrahmen, infantry (3 IIRC) and a Pz IIIN took care of the partisans and then headed south as well (the normal way for those).

Longasc

Post by Longasc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Orel: 3355 at start
DV 16/16, 1795 Prestige left
Loss: Only one Panzer IIIN, replaced by a Hummel

I had 9 Tigers, 5 guarding Orel together with StuGs and artillery, the other four were sent to the Italians by railroad.
The Luftwaffe was exclusively in the north in one big wing. The Stukas didn't get attacked once this way while the Russian air attacks south were weak.

I had only 227 Prestige left in my previous run and a weaker core.

VERY FUN scenario in V1 and V2!

I am afraid though that this might become a Tigerfest. Without them it's much harder, with them it's definitely much more relaxed. As shown by the Panzer IIIN and Panzer IVG and Stukas in the air, these units are becoming obsolete. Though the field is much more even with Panzer IVG/H vs T-34.

Let's see how the heavy tank war will develop! It's not an ahistorical development, I just have much more of the heavy tanks at my disposal. (That's what you get for dating Habermann's daughter?!)

pickle
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pickle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Came into this one with 3200 prestige and full roster of units. Did a number of reinforcements and a couple of over strengths but wanted to keep a fair reserve of prestige given my previous experience with this scenario.

I started off by railing a number of units south to support the Italians while adopting a more passive defense just east of Orel. By turn eight, the first wave of Russian attackers was exhausted and I began to move slowly eastward. The Red Air Force was despatched or greatly weakened. I have found that having my FW-190's take out or weaken the La-5's while the 109's attack bombers or the Yaks to work well.

After dealing with the second wave of Russian attackers, I moved on the last objective hexes achieving a decisive victory on the last turn. All-in-all, it worked well waiting the AI out and then going forward. Managed this result with the only two Tigers and bunch of IIIM's and IVG's. I doubt this mix will be strong enough moving forward though.

charonjr

Post by charonjr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:43 pm

2 Tigers might be a bit low, but I found that 7 Tiger/Panther are already close to overkill (at least on FM).

produit

Post by produit » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:44 pm

FM, preset core.
Starting prestige 3767. DV on turn 14/16. Cleaned up the whole map. Finished with 2007 prestige.

Nice scenario. I sent 4 tigers to help the italians, and it was much needed. The briefing gave me an hint that an important thrust will come from the south.
Like the last scenarios, you really have to keep a line of defense. I like it.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”