Compiling DLC 1944 Feedback

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Compiling DLC 1944 Feedback

Post by Kerensky » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the vast majority of comments we've received on this latest DLC!
There have been no outrageous problems or issues and it sounds like people and genuinely enjoying themselves with some of the new and unique objectives. We had more than a few concerns about this, so it was especially good to see it get a warm reception.

Expect a few text and triggers fixing to follow but more importantly...

It seems that there really isn't anyone struggling with prestige. This is both a good and bad sign. On the difficulty levels that do not modify prestige, the amount rewarded for just winning scenarios in this campaign, decisively, is roughly 28000 prestige. As a comparison, DLC 1943 actually rewards about 37000 prestige. But DLC 1943 also had some much larger battles and more numerous enemies and no prestige saving super units such as the King Tiger.

That said, I don't think we're very comfortable with reducing prestige amounts. We want players to have the flexibility that large prestige pools grant, so players can experiment and not be unduly punished if they want say... a more historical force. It's just a fact of the game that a 0 star King Tiger is cheaper to maintain than a 4 star Panzer IVJ and theoretically more effective as well. It is what it is, no point in fighting or denying it.

So rather than reducing prestige which only would result in MORE King Tigers because they are such great prestige saving machines, we'll see about reducing time limits on some scenarios and increasing the potency of Soviet units. Mostly like this means many of the old T-34/41s will get upgunned, but we do want to preserve a balanced Soviet force that does not require a full CORE of heavy German tanks to effectively combat. So our players who are playing on the medium difficulties and who want their full Tiger CORES, they can do so and that's fine. We still want to preserve strong game play for alternatives though, which are arguably more historical.

The nature of the battles in DLC 1944, smaller maps with lots of clear weather also lends itself very well to the King Tiger, whose weakness is slower speed and bad fuel. Moving into DLC 1945, which we know won't go past May 1945, we should have more solutions for curbing too many super heavy german tanks. Snow and larger map sizes slows them down pretty well, as do the heavy ATG units in rough terrain(which is a double bonus actually as these types of targets are a heaven send for infantry, and we do want to encourage stronger infantry presences too).

Fact is though, they are still the best economic choice, but that's okay. We don't want to balance the game around King Tigers, players who want to use them extensively can do so. Maybe they'll be encouraged to up their difficulty settings to match. Balance is built around the Panther and Panzer IV being viable tanks though, that's the bottom line.

Zhivago
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Compiling DLC 1944 Feedback

Post by Zhivago » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:10 am

Kerensky wrote:Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the vast majority of comments we've received on this latest DLC!
There have been no outrageous problems or issues and it sounds like people and genuinely enjoying themselves with some of the new and unique objectives. We had more than a few concerns about this, so it was especially good to see it get a warm reception.

Expect a few text and triggers fixing to follow but more importantly...

It seems that there really isn't anyone struggling with prestige. This is both a good and bad sign. On the difficulty levels that do not modify prestige, the amount rewarded for just winning scenarios in this campaign, decisively, is roughly 28000 prestige. As a comparison, DLC 1943 actually rewards about 37000 prestige. But DLC 1943 also had some much larger battles and more numerous enemies and no prestige saving super units such as the King Tiger.

That said, I don't think we're very comfortable with reducing prestige amounts. We want players to have the flexibility that large prestige pools grand, so players can experiment and not be unduly punished if they want say... a more historical force. It's just a fact of the game that a 0 star King Tiger is cheaper to maintain than a 4 star Panzer IVJ and theoretically more effective as well. It is what it is, no point in fighting or denying it.

So rather than reducing prestige which only would result in MORE King Tigers because they are such great prestige saving machines, we'll see about reducing time limits on some scenarios and increasing the potency of Soviet units. Mostly like this means many of the old T-34/41s will get upgunned, but we do want to preserve a balanced Soviet force that does not require a full CORE of heavy German tanks to effectively combat. So our players who are playing on the medium difficulties and who want their full Tiger CORES, they can do so and that's fine. We still want to preserve strong game play for alternatives though, which are arguably more historical.

The nature of the battles in DLC 1944, smaller maps with lots of clear weather also lends itself very well to the King Tiger, whose weakness is slower speed and bad fuel. Moving into DLC 1945, which we know won't go past May 1945, we should have more solutions for curbing too many super heavy german tanks. Snow and larger map sizes slows them down pretty well, as do the heavy ATG units in rough terrain(which is a double bonus actually as these types of targets are a heaven send for infantry, and we do want to encourage stronger infantry presences too).

Fact is though, they are still the best economic choice, but that's okay. We don't want to balance the game around King Tigers, players who want to use them extensively can do so. Maybe they'll be encouraged to up their difficulty settings to match. Balance is built around the Panther and Panzer IV being viable tanks though, that's the bottom line.

DLC 44 seems much more balanced with prestige, and I would not change anything. I also think that the window for King Tigers running wild is going to be short lived, as I anticipate that we will continue to see more and more IS-1's and IS-2's as time goes on which will further balance everything out.

monkspider
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by monkspider » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:48 am

This is promising to hear. I am glad to hear that you are balancing the game around primarily Panzer IV/Panther-based cores. I am really looking forward to 1945. Ever since this series of DLC was announced, it was probably the DLC I was looking forward to the most. I can't wait to see the urban combat centered around defending the Reichstag and the Berlin Zoo FLAK tower. Keep up the great work! I can't wait to learn about what comes after 1945. Afrika? Grand Campaign Sealion? Grand Campaign West or South? You will be sure to have something up your sleeve.

produit
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by produit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:53 am

These modifications seem great. Buffing up some units such as the T-34/41 si really a good idea.

OmegaMan1
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by OmegaMan1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:27 am

I'm just starting to play the '44 beta, but I'd like to point out one thing that is an EXCELLENT idea: the concept that the player can only start each scenario with a limited number of their core units is a fantastic addition to the campaigns! It not only makes the campaign more true to history (the explanation that a smaller number of units must be used due to mounting supply issues is a novel approach), but also forces the player to consider what units will be necessary to achieve the scenario's objectives -- more airpower, heavy armor, infantry, or a mixture of all types. This is a great way to further challenge players in what was a difficult period for the German army. When I read this in the Korsun briefing, I immediately thought, "Oh cool, nice job of making things more challenging! BRING IT ON!" :twisted:

Kudos to the designers for adding this layer of complexity to the '44 campaign -- definitely makes a good game even better.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”