AK: Battleaxe

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: AK: Battleaxe

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:48 pm

I just finished Battleaxe 2.0.
Difficulty: General
Starting prestige: 2404.
Upgraded the MC200 to MC202 and bought a SdKfz232 as replacement for the one lost last scenario and a Do217E level bomber. As a side note the Do just won by a tiny bit over the Italian Piaggio P.108 because of more ammunition. So the Italian units aren't that bad after all. As replacements strategy during deployment phase i used following pattern: If the unit did not lose any whole star by using normal replacements i used normal, if it were the case i used elite replacements. I did over-strength all units as much as possible (most to 11, one tank to 12). Was trying to avoid using replacements during the battle but had to do it a few times. Used mostly normal replacements during the battle.
Outcome DV at turn 15/17
End prestige: 3787

The scenario is now much easier. It is now consistently beatable without relying to much on luck. The ground fight seems quite fine tuned, maybe even a bit on the to easy side as the AI is suiciding a lot of units in trucks. The addition of the axis airfields in the middle of the map made it a lot easier to conduct air operations. With the nerf to the RAF it seems even almost to easy to gain air superiority. Maybe adding one more Hurricane in one of the earlier waves, when the player is not distracted to much by the Diversionary Group could be in order.

I did conquer all the cities but did not get the Matilda II this time. Was it removed or have i done something wrong?

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:01 pm

It is there. Don't know what happened. Maybe you had some unit where it should appear (adjacent to town) and scenario finished?

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:03 pm

uran21 wrote:It is there. Don't know what happened. Maybe you had some unit where it should appear (adjacent to town) and scenario finished?
Yes that could be the case. I had a few units adjacent to the town and the scenario ended prematurely as there was no enemy units left anymore. I think i have a save game not far from end of the scenario, if yes i test it again.

petehat
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by petehat » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Playing this as part of the campaign, beta 2, Colonel difficulty level.
Started with about 2000 prestige, bought 1 extra fighter (for me, air superiority is always where it's at) and finished with over 3000.
Decisive victory on penultimate turn, captured all objectives (aside from the two airfields in the SE corner and I could have got those if I'd waited till the last turn), all enemy units destroyed.

The flanking attack was a bit of a distraction as I was already advancing to the south, and it took me about 3 turns to reverse and wipe them all out.

I thought the AI was poor in this one, no co-ordination of attacks, and a lot of trucks driving up and parking next to my massive anti-tanks, then dying before they even got a chance to dismount and let me see what they were. Enemy tanks a mild irritant at best.

As far as desert supply and movement go, I never even noticed that it was different to driving around on plains - definitely think it needs to have more effect, especially on wheeled vehicles.

I know you said you reduced the difficulty for beta 2, but to be honest this was pretty much a cake walk, and though it had potential what with the waves of attacks and the shift of fronts, all in all it was a bit dull and I think you should restore some of the difficulty you removed.

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Tarrak wrote:
uran21 wrote:It is there. Don't know what happened. Maybe you had some unit where it should appear (adjacent to town) and scenario finished?
Yes that could be the case. I had a few units adjacent to the town and the scenario ended prematurely as there was no enemy units left anymore. I think i have a save game not far from end of the scenario, if yes i test it again.
Hmm yes i had a save game and i moved all units away from the city and then captured it. The scenario ends as there are no enemy units left but i do not get the Matilda II. Something seems to be wrong.

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:04 pm

BETA 2
Colonel
start 2201 prestige
upgraded PzIV to PZIVF
had this one won on turn 13 but had to wait until end of game
I thought I saw white dot but it look like my ME-110 ran out of fuel
Being aggressive at the end I used my pioneer in half track to attack. Lost it with the last AI tank attack wave
ended with over three K in prestige
Received two hereos
Still have my Italian core
Who say M14/41 is no good? Received Bronz Medal with Italian unit
DV at 13

Balois
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Balois » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Beta 2
COL

The scenario played out pretty much as laid out in previous posts. It was not terribly hard and the need to back up to stop the British offensive was an interesting twist. Might be a bit too easy.

Balois

uran21

Post by uran21 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Tarrak wrote:
Tarrak wrote:
Hmm yes i had a save game and i moved all units away from the city and then captured it. The scenario ends as there are no enemy units left but i do not get the Matilda II. Something seems to be wrong.
Actually unit should appear immediately in the next turn after you captured the town. So if you capture the town hit end turn and scenario finishes this could also be the case. You need to be in game on the next turn.

zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:03 pm

uran21 wrote:Actually unit should appear immediately in the next turn after you captured the town. So if you capture the town hit end turn and scenario finishes this could also be the case. You need to be in game on the next turn.
Which town is meant? Sidi Suleiman (18, 25)?
I finished the game by capturing this city and I captured no unit.

uran21

Post by uran21 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 pm

zappel wrote:
uran21 wrote:Actually unit should appear immediately in the next turn after you captured the town. So if you capture the town hit end turn and scenario finishes this could also be the case. You need to be in game on the next turn.
Yes, it is Sidi Suleiman. I just performed a test and Matilda is there and appearing. You also get a message about it.

Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kamerer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:31 pm

uran21 wrote:
zappel wrote:
Yes, it is Sidi Suleiman. I just performed a test and Matilda is there and appearing. You also get a message about it.
I captured it (2.0), but got no message about it (several turns remaining). I did get a message re: the Crusader in the next scenario.

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:38 pm

This looks to me like a conceptual problem. If the games ends and there is no next turn you don't get the unit. While it's not a big problem it is a bit confusing for players. Sometimes you just can not get the next turn like in my case: The unit siting in the city is the last one so killing it will end the scenario but not killing it will prevent me from capturing the city ... catch 22. Is it not possible to get the unit in the same turn as soon you capture the city? This would prevent this from happening.

uran21

Post by uran21 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Technically you would need to reduce entrenchment rate of unit in town to zero, suppress it with artillery or strategic bomber and force it to retreat. Capture the city while unit is still alive. But besides that, yes it is somehow of a problem..

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:52 pm

uran21 wrote:Technically you would need to reduce entrenchment rate of unit in town to zero, suppress it with artillery or strategic bomber and force it to retreat. Capture the city while unit is still alive. But besides that, yes it is somehow of a problem..
Theoretically yes but the bloody unit got 5 entrenchment and is already down to 6 strength ... if i hit it 5 times will arty and level bombers it will be dead long before it's entrenchment is reduced to 0. But as i said i can live very well without the slightly mobile bunker. :P

uran21

Post by uran21 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:06 pm

More luck next time :D

monkspider
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by monkspider » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:11 am

Just getting started on this one, I noticed there was a reference to a Von Paulus in the scenario briefing. While I always am glad to see references to actual historical figures in Panzer Corps, it should be noted that Paulus was not a Von. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Paulus

monkspider
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by monkspider » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 am

BattleAxe
BETA 2
General level
Replacement philosophy: 90%+ of the time I use elite replacements, even during battle,I usually only use normal for low experience units that don't suffer a huge experience drop with normal replacements or if my prestige is especially critical. I rarely use elite replacements on axillary units
Ending Prestige 960
DV on turn 15

I found this to still be a very challenging scenario, but it was definitely reasonable this time. Between all of the diversion groups and mobile formations attacking my flank, I seriously didn't think I would be able to pull off the DV in time. I managed to do so in the end but only narrowly. This scenario also now seems to be pretty much perfectly balanced. I captured the Matilda II fine myself though I didn't get a pop-up message about it.

I actually did a detailed AAR on this one which should be ready by tomorrow.
Last edited by monkspider on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Tarrak wrote:
This looks to me like a conceptual problem. If the games ends and there is no next turn you don't get the unit. While it's not a big problem it is a bit confusing for players. Sometimes you just can not get the next turn like in my case: The unit siting in the city is the last one so killing it will end the scenario but not killing it will prevent me from capturing the city ... catch 22. Is it not possible to get the unit in the same turn as soon you capture the city? This would prevent this from happening.
Just a suggestion for the design of any scenario: avoid to place captured units in objectives. Like in GC'40 - Dunkirk the Matilda II is in the city of De Panne (21, 5), not an objective. So you can capture the city (and the unit) before the last objective will be captured. For now I'll load a old savegame to capture this Matilda II. :)

zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:23 pm

uran21 wrote:
zappel wrote:
Got it, but also no message about the new unit (version 1.10 beta 2 - german language).
The scenario was fine, I like it. First I was a little confused because the map is nearly the same like in the mission before and I thought about a bug (being in a loop and had to play the last scenario once again). But after this confusion it was a easy to win scenario.

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Tarrak wrote:
This problem happened to me.

No pop up notes no tank.

Then on the next scenario it was in the reserve que along with all the units.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”