AK: Dash to the Wire

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: AK: Dash to the Wire

Post by Tarrak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:15 pm

MV on general difficulty on the first attempt. Scenario seems to be not to hard but is a bit confusing. Especially the idea with the destroying of the supply dumps. The pop message says to assemble 4 mobile units on Zone A but it doesn't state it must be done fast. I was to slow and kept my units standing there waiting for anything to happen. Except of that i agree mostly with everything that was posted already. Scenario seems to be mostly good balanced and quite interesting but the supply dumps bit need a lot more clarification.

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:14 am

18/18 DV, Colonel, no losses

I must admit, if I hadn't read this thread I would have had NO IDEA what to do to win a DV. As it was, finding the supply dumps was difficult. The messages and victory conditions must be clearer.

Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kamerer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Beta 2:

a) turn 5 – scenario message “Wait for all units to assamble… (sp)”
b) “New equipment has been captured” message was nice (Crusader at Ft. Maddalena). However there wasn’t a parallel message in Battleaxe when the Matilda was captured. Should be consistent scenario to scenario. The message is a nice addition; I wished there was a similar message in GCE many times.

The scenario message instructions REALLY need to be improved. It's not clear to assemble quickly, or clearly within the "A" hexes. Make the Turn 5 message simply state "Assemble mobile units in Sector A now." I had the units in the area, just not on the exact hex as it was not clear to me that was necessary. Also does mobile mean "motorized" or armored? Seems like motorized.

Otherwise a fun scenario, but it should be more explicit what is expected; the complaints addressed earlier in this thread have not been addressed in Beta 2.

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Colonel.

Upgraded the PzIIIH to J. No purchases.

An interesting mission, although somewhat confusing with the mission objectives. I actually went through this thread to read what it was all about.
It is not so difficult to keep the enemy at bay. If you lose some of the italian held cities, it is no problem so i went on the prowl in the southeast.
Found another capturable unit. I destroyed several of those so called Hangars and got my DV on 18/18.
3851PP.
Lost several italian auxiliaries, lost my core SdKfz 7/1
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:48 pm

Finished Dash to the Wire in Beta 2.0
Difficulty: General
Starting prestige: 3787
Upgraded 3 Panzer IIIH to J, SdKfz 10/4 to 7/1 and bought a BMW R12 infantry for soaring around the map and looking for the hangars.
As replacements strategy during deployment phase i used following pattern: If the unit did not lose any whole star by using normal replacements i used normal, if it were the case i used elite replacements. I did over-strength all units as much as possible. Had to use quite a few replacements during the battle. Was using mostly elite for my core units and normal for auxiliary if they really needed replacements.
Outcome: DV.
Losses: One grenadier unit killed by the forces trying to break out of Tobruk. Not counting auxiliary units.
End prestige: 3723

Interesting scenario but still a bit confusing. The pop-up messages are worded better already but still i doubt i would know exactly what to do on first attempt. Especially the Hangars containing the bonus units can be easily confused with the Supply Dumps. There is no message as well that one need to get the 4 units into zone A before 5th turn.

The scenario is quite enjoyable and reasonably challenging. After cleaning the initial attack wave i setup a defense ring around Sidi Rezegh, Behammed and El duda with my infantry, towed artiellry and AT guns and a few tanks. Send the rest of my tanks, a BMW motorcycle infantry and a StugIII together with a recon unit to Zone A and then to hunt for the Hangars and Dumps.

Air superiority wasn't much of a problem as the AI kept most of it's fighter initially in the south and send them up to me one by one which then got wiped out.

Defense on the ground wasn't any problem at all until the Tobruk units started to break out. Simply due to their overstrength the units can be quite lethal especially if for a change the AI managed to actually use it's artillery before attacking. Overall it wasn't to hard to fend off the enemy units.

The mobile group went off and destroyed all the Hangars without to much problem. One seemed to be guarded by a 14 strength infantry but it wasn't really much of a problem as i caught it in the open. Down by the Dumps my mobile force got in a little trouble with a wave spawning there. Was on the verge of losing my Stug and BMW infantry but managed to prevent it with some luck. Destroyed all dumps and all 4 Hangars. The bonus units are quite nice (BF109f, StugIII and a SE panzer IIIJ) and managed to find a captured Crusader tank. This one is a bit crap but hey it was free. :) Now tho i got a lot more units then i can deploy.

Zhivago
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Zhivago » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm still confused about the victory objectives, and the assembly area, etc. I sent units off and found four supply dumps and destroyed them without first meeting up in the marked assembly area. I kept all objectives I started with, and captured several more, except for three or four hexes at the extreme right of the map, and kept the Allied forces bottled up in Tobruk. I assume this is why I only got an MV at turn 18. Victory hexes need to be more clearly marked, especially since there still appears to be no way to re-read the initial briefing memos during the game that might give some guidance.

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:54 am

BETA 2
start 4649
Loss

Got my butt kicked so I replayed it. Did better,, however I lost the last city two turns before the end and couldn't get it back.

Ballacraine
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Ballacraine » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Just starting this one at Colonel level.

First impressions:

Only 3 Gold Hexes in this screnario at the outset?

Surely ports are important for supply. Any fortified Port surely should have Gold Hex(es)?

Balla. 8)

monkspider

Post by monkspider » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Dash to the Wire
BETA 2
General level
Ending prestige 687
Losses: 2x Artillery
Replacement philosophy: 90%+ of the time I use elite replacements, even during battle,I usually only use normal for low experience units that don't suffer a huge experience drop with normal replacements or if my prestige is especially critical. I rarely use elite replacements on axillary units
Ending Prestige 650
marginal victory

I thought after playing it through once I would be able to understand the decisive victory conditions but they still don't really make sense to me. I assembled my mobile units in the sector A but never got any further instructions other than to look for supply dumps "on the wire" which I thought meant in the eastern part of the map but I never found even a single one. I lost two artillery units due to deploying them in inconvenient locations at the beginning of the battle. So even after my second attempt, I still don't understand what I am supposed to do for the decisive victory.

deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

I played this on Beta 2, and I also agree that the mission objectives are very confusing, and the pop-up messages need work. You need to tell the player explicitly that they need to move 4 units to Sector A by turn 5 to be able to destroy the supply dumps. Then, you need to give the player an idea of where to go on the map, that is clearly marked (maybe with a VH?), where the supply depots approximately are.

One of the messages is bugged, because after I moved out my units to sector A, I received another message saying that I "need to assemble all of my forces before proceeding," when in fact I already assembled the right number of forces. The supply dumps still spawned in my game though.

Balois
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Balois » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Beta 2
COL Level

Like others, I found the mission objectives poorly written and I'm not sure if I ever triggered the depots or not. I did find 7 icons that all looked like hangers and destroyed 2? Do the depots and hangers look alike? If they do then that is a problem. Distance to travel is also an issue as I barely was able to scout the map before turn 18.

While I got a marginal victory I have no idea why and neither do I understand what I was missing for a decisive victory. All in all a very frustrating experience.

I like the campaign and unlike previous posts the allied air power in the north was a constant bother and when combined with the extremly strong allied unts stopping a breakout was almost a full time job.

I will try again.

Balois

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:20 pm

minor victory by end of game.

Got the message to assemble 4 mobile units, was moving them to the A's on the map when a second message told me to wait til they were all assembled. Never saw a single bunker, but did manage to capture southern brit city and airfiled, till I ran into that airborne unit down south.
Got no idea at all how or where the supply dumps are supposed to be as I was running about down there killing artillery and trying to avoid 2lbr at guns. Lost a flak 88 to a nasty bunker at Tobruk that hit it with arty support out back for single 8 step loss. Then an infantry unit came up and finished it off. Matilda came out of Tobruk and captured the northern town and airfield being held by Italians, I managed to recapture the airfield was too late to move anyone into the city hex though it was not gold. I forgot to leave a reserve up north so had to scramble about 4 units back to take out the flanking force.
Aside from no idea where these ammo dumps were, I did get the Matilda, thought it was good scenario. Still have some Italians left in my core force.

Zhivago

Post by Zhivago » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:26 am

I figured out the second time through the scenario that I had to get four mobile units to the A hexes before I could go hunting for the supply dumps. But the question is, why bother having players assemble in that particular location in the first place? As far as I am concerned, I would prefer to have the supply dumps identified, but defended. That way players could assemble small battlegroups wherever they desired on the map to attack and destroy the supply dumps. Or better yet, it would be fun to break through a heavily defended section of allied fortifications and defenses and then be able to get to an area where the supply dumps are more or less all in the same area. I also propose a new name for the scenario... "Dash to the Dumps" "Dash to the Wire" sounds like the title of a Duran Duran song...

Balois
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Balois » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 am

Beta 2
COL level

On my second play through I was able to get a decisive victory. I did not trigger any of the bonus units but found the scenario very enjoyable once I was able to figure out what was required.

Two suggestions. Clarify the objectives and provide a way to look at them from a menu. Second, change the icon for the Supply dumps. Using the hanger icon simply causes confusion and a different icon would be a simple solution.

Balois

zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Does the hangar has any function or is it only a killable structure?
hangar.png
Hangar
hangar.png (51.1 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
It can't move or fight but it is robust. Can airplanes be maintained when they are moved over a hangar at the end of a turn (like a carrier)?

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:29 pm

zappel wrote:It can't move or fight but it is robust. Can airplanes be maintained when they are moved over a hangar at the end of a turn (like a carrier)?
No, hangar is just there to be destroyed. :)

zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Let's do it!!!!! :evil:

Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:08 pm

A frustrating scenario this one.

It lacks a focus.

Forces have to be streched this way & that, without any apparent incentive for doing it.

A few more gold hexes around may help with this.

Balla. :?

Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:15 pm

OK, I managed a DV at Colonel level, but only because I had read this thread.
Shouldn't a DV at this point enable an assault on Tobruk rather than the disorganised retreat of the 'Second Offensive' scenario?

Overall, not really impressed with the Dash to the Wire scenario, for the reasons I have already posted.

Another thing I noticed on this scenario, there is no slider bar depicting the 'AI is playing'

Balla. 8)

Cygnus2112
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Cygnus2112 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:01 pm

played through this on Saturday. I did get the idea to send a force to the area marked with A, to me the confusing thing was I was expecting the supply depots to be just on the other side of the wire. It was not clear that I might have to look for them. I did like the split focus on this as it makes you prioritize what units are needed where. I played through on Field Marshall and was able to obtain a decisive victory. I did lose a couple core units - namely a recon unit that I had been trying to baby...but that is the nature of recon sometimes.

Cygnus

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”