Game crashes

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Game crashes

Post by Diplomaticus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Two or three times in the last week CEAW has unexpectedly quit on me. In all cases this was mid to late game (1943+). Not a huge deal, but I'm wondering how widespread the issue is.

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Game crashes

Post by pk867 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Is this playing against the AI?

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Diplomaticus wrote:Two or three times in the last week CEAW has unexpectedly quit on me. In all cases this was mid to late game (1943+). Not a huge deal, but I'm wondering how widespread the issue is.
Sometimes it crashes on me due to memory issues. Were you able to complete your turns after the crashes? Also, if it keeps happening a screen cap of the command (i.e., DOS) window would be very helpful.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Sometimes the game hangs on me when I complete a turn, but when I check the save game it actually completed.

joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 am

This happens to me quite a bit, actually. It drives me crazy sometimes because I lose everything I've played in that turn, and it's a pain to play again trying not to give an unfair advantage to either player.

But I'm sure my computer contributes to the problem. It's been rather buggy ever since nearly dying on me last year. Maybe the fact that I have the Matrix version of the game also plays a role? I have no idea. :?

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am

I think it's more of a memory issue. Java is known to have memory leaks.

So maybe a smart thing to do is to reboot the PC from time to time, e. g. before playing save games received by opponents.

joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 am

Stauffenberg wrote:I think it's more of a memory issue. Java is known to have memory leaks.

So maybe a smart thing to do is to reboot the PC from time to time, e. g. before playing save games received by opponents.
I often play games back to back. I'll try restarting the computer in between games and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:18 am

I rarely see hangs if I e. g. play a few game turns back to back. It's more if you have played other games, then some GS, then back to other games and then to GS again.

If you struggle with game hangs you can try to reboot more often to check if it helps. How much memory do you have in your PC?

JimR
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by JimR » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:10 pm

A warning sign I've noticed, if the game is getting ready to hang, is that moving around the screen becomes sluggish even using the strategic map; that the arrow keys become unresponsive and cannot be used for moving around the screen; that tooltips stop working (for instance, when you prepare to reinforce a unit, the tooltip doesn't tell you ahead of time what the PP cost will be). I've got 8 GB of memory, but in the later stages of games (when the program must keep track of myriad units both dead and alive) I need to make sure I'm not running other programs. Now, thanks to the information in this thread, I'll know to reboot before starting up CEAW if I have been running other programs.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Since some of my Chinese GS beginner met a game system halted problem when they play AI as Allies .
I & mamahuhu both did checked it ,It did happen like they said .

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Morris, we're not speaking of a game hang in player vs AI. We're speaking about game hand in player vs player. The latter game hang is NOT related to a bug in the code, but to the game engine running out of resources. You can easily notice the latter by rebooting after the hang and replaying the turn. Then everything works fine. So there is nothing to fix in the game code.

This is the downside of having Java as a game engine. It's actually not very well suited for games and almost no games are created in Java anymore. The upside is that since the game was created in Java it was much easier to mod. So we wouldn't have had GS without Java.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:Morris, we're not speaking of a game hang in player vs AI. We're speaking about game hand in player vs player. The latter game hang is NOT related to a bug in the code, but to the game engine running out of resources. You can easily notice the latter by rebooting after the hang and replaying the turn. Then everything works fine. So there is nothing to fix in the game code.

This is the downside of having Java as a game engine. It's actually not very well suited for games and almost no games are created in Java anymore. The upside is that since the game was created in Java it was much easier to mod. So we wouldn't have had GS without Java.
Do you mean restart the game or restart the computer ?

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Morris wrote:
Stauffenberg wrote:Morris, we're not speaking of a game hang in player vs AI. We're speaking about game hand in player vs player. The latter game hang is NOT related to a bug in the code, but to the game engine running out of resources. You can easily notice the latter by rebooting after the hang and replaying the turn. Then everything works fine. So there is nothing to fix in the game code.

For me, shutting down the game and restarting it solves the occasional game hang or slow down due to memory issue. Next time this happens I capture and post a picture of the console (i.e., DOS) window. I can't recall a GS hang or slowdown every forcing me to reboot. For me, killing it in task manager and restarting the game solves my issue.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Morris wrote:

Restart the computer

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:12 am

Stauffenberg wrote:
Morris wrote:

Restart the computer
thank you ! sir , I will ask them try it .But If not work , I will have to disturb you again :)

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”