Mulberry supply glitch?

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Mulberry supply glitch?

Post by Diplomaticus » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:30 pm

It's spring/early summer 1944. Allies have landed several units in southern Sicily, and these units are supplied by several BB's, both UK & US. These units have been getting only supply of '1', but I thought that starting in 1944 the 'Mulberry' rule meant that surface ships would give the Western Allies supply of '2'. Doesn't that rule kick in at the beginning of 1944, or am I mistaken?

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Mulberry supply glitch?

Post by Cybvep » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:59 am

I think that it only works in France, since it would be infeasible to transport Mulberries to the Mediterranean.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Mulberries only work at a certain distance (dependent upon surface ships tech) from London. The distance is about 6-10. So you can only use mulberries in the English Channel.

The reason is obvious. You need big shipyards to produce the mulberries and you can't sail them in open sea or they would sink in rough weather. That means you can only build these in England and sail them short distance. One of the real mulberries was actually sunk in the 1944 June storm.

Mulberries was a clever invention by the Allies to support Overlord and not something you can use everywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_harbour

Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Cybvep wrote:I think that it only works in France, since it would be infeasible to transport Mulberries to the Mediterranean.
I disagree. They had no problem at all delivering strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries, etc. Why should they have any problem with mulberries? They grow on trees, for crying out loud!

metolius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by metolius » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 pm

100% agree with Diplomaticus. This mulberry discrimination is an outrage. The French farmers will go on strike over this, for sure.

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 am

So impetuous, those farmers. Isn't this a question over which they must first mull? Bury the supplies ahead of time instead!

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”