Problems loading/playing the PC CD-ROM Egypt- Eng. an Empire

Tech support forum for Egypt Engineering an Empire

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Deiotaros
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Deiotaros »

In my very first letter, I stated that under SETUP.EXE. I get the reply: setup is unable to find _setup.dll, which is needed to complete the installation (Error 103).
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

And that is the confusion. Your first message says that the installation completed. You do NOT need to run SETUP.EXE again at all. The game is installed on your computer.

What exactly happens if you double click on the icon on your Desktop which says Play History Egypt?

If you go to the installation folder (which is probably somewhere like C:\Program Files\Slitherine\History Egypt - Engineering an Empire - you should be able to get there from My Computer) you should be able to see a LAUNCHER.EXE file, and we want to see what happens when you run that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Pip
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

When I double click on the icon on my desktop, a square enclosed blue field comes up, shows two boxes which have already the (X) in them and at bottom: register, cancel, O.K. When I click on the O.K. the blue field disappears and then NOTHING. I wait to see if it takes a short time for the game to show-up, but NOTHING.

I FINALLY found the LAUNCHER.EXE. file. When I double click there 3 short sentences appear and nothing else happens.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the same folder as you found the LAUNCHER.EXE file, there should be a HEEaE.EXE file. What happens if you double click that file? If the launcher is there and working, then I don't think this is an install failure, which is a good thing!

Cheers

Pip
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

When I go to the HEEaE.EXE file and double click, it brings me back to the install set-up ( blue field, with install, forum etc.) where I have to type in the serial no. etc. and the game STILL is not installed or can be played.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well that's just bizarre. The launcher should try and launch that EXE - so I don't know why you'd see a different result.

In fact running the shortcut and running the LAUNCHER.EXE should give you identical results - as the shortcut points to the launcher.

Once you hit OK on the launcher the game should run - if this doesn't happen, then it might be an audio or video issue. Have you tried turning off fullscreen and sound in the launcher (toggle the Xs off) and seeing if that helps the game run.

You don't mention the model of video card you have, but it might be worth trying to see whether there are any new drivers for it in case that helps.

Cheers

Pip
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We can supply you a link to the digital download version to see if that helps. Something very odd is happening on your PC. If you want to try this let me know your e-mail address.
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

The problem with downloading is the fact that I STILL have a 56K modem and pay by the minute when I am in internet. I am not sure HOW LONG it will take to download from my email address even if it can be done with my SLOW modem. But, if that is the only solution, we will have to try it!!!!!

My email address:

Deiotaros1@web.de
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

Oh, one other thing. From the very beginning of the problem I thought it might have to do with the video card.

Here are my specs: 256 MB ATi Radeon X1550 Series.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I suggested - check for any updated video drivers for your card. ATI had trouble with their OpenGL drivers for a while, but they are more stable now I believe.

Cheers

Pip
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Its a pretty small file compared to most so you migth be ok with the download. Try the driver fix first and if that does not help try the link we're e-mailing you.
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

Hello,

I would like to THANK all those who TRIED to get this game running on my computer :D It has been almost 2 weeks since I bought the game, but it STILL cannot run on my computer :( Even with the download it has been a problem. This will be my last entry/reply because I have simply lost interest in trying to get it going on my computer and playing the game!!!!!

Take care,

Deiotaros

Return to “Egypt - Engineering an Empire : Tech Support”