The Diary of Herr Pferdmann

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

The Diary of Herr Pferdmann

Post by Horseman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Well the AAR section looks a little bare so I thought what the hell lets get things moving!

I've played through the tutorials and this is my first play through of a campaign so people should get good tips on what not to do!!!!

I've played Panzer General to death and back again (finished my last campaign only 2 days ago) so am hoping many of the techniques and stratagem are transferable.

I'm playing on Colonel with all the options (FOW, supply and weather) and had actually completed the Poland scenario before I decided to write an AAR so you'll have to bear with me on that one as I went back through saves and such to get pictures and even re-staged some turns to get them, hopefully I'll get better as it goes on, and hopefully I won't get completely trounced!

In PG I found most scenarios required/worked well with 3 “battle groups” so I'm guessing I'll be planning my force selection on that basis up to the point I discover that its not the way to do it, feel free to comment on/mock my tactics.

One thing I always liked about PG is that there was no set scale, in any given scenario a unit might represent anything from a company to a Corps. For the purpose of this AAR I'll be referring to ground units as regiments and air units as wings, just my preference.

August 18th 1939
I have decided to write a diary of my exploits in the hope that someday my name will be remembered alongside the likes of Alexander, Hannibal and Napoleon.
Several months of intense training ended with some war games. I tested my skills against other Wehrmact officers proving myself superior each time. The final “mission” pitted me against some upstart by the name of Manstein and I proved once and for all that I am the premier Panzer General. Accordingly I was given command of a newly created Corps and ordered to the Polish boarder, I'm guessing the rumours may be true.

August 20th 1939
Today I arrived at the Polish boarder to review my command, they call this a Corps? A cursory glance at my OOB reveals that we are criminally understrength.
5 Wehrmact Infantry Regiments (2 motorised)
1 Gebirasjager Infantry Regiment
3 Panzer Regiments (1xIA 1xIB 1xIIC)
1 Artillery Regiment (10.5cm)
I also have direct command over one Luftflotte composed of
1 Fighter Wing (BG109E)
1 Tactical Bomber Wing (BF110C)

I will need to use what influence I have with high command to secure reinforcements.

August 22nd 1939
Today I received orders to deploy my force on the Polish boarder ready to commence invasion as soon as the order is given.
Deployment.

I have sketched the plan of attack on to the map, once the invasion is launched I aim to systematically take each city in turn with all forces (eventually) meeting at Warsaw to conduct an assault on the Polish Capital, which High Command believes will end the war in our favour. You will also note two Regiments marked in blue. To the west is a Regiment of Panzer IIIs temporarily under my command. Being far superior to any tanks currently at my disposal I have requested for these to be permanently assigned to my Corps however High Command has refused my request and advised that for now no further Panzer IIIs are available.
To the south a lone Slovak Regiment will also assist in the invasion, their contribution will be minimal but I'm sure I can find some use for them.

September 1st 1939
And so it begins

I have until October 3rd to complete my objectives which should be ample time. High command has hinted that I should aim to complete the conquest by September 23rd though they were not clear as to the reason.

Our initial objectives in the south and central zones have been met with acceptable casualties.

To the north we have eliminated the Polish Cavalry Regiment but at the cost of some of our armoured forces.

Calling in all of the favours I am owed at High Command I have managed to triple the number of Artillery Regiments under my Command and doubled the Strength of my Support Luftflotte with the addition of 1 more Wing of BF109Es and 1 Wing of Ju87Bs

The Polish Air force has made an appearance attacking our allies, all other Polish military units remain hidden to us.

To be continued...

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 am

September 3rd 1939 (2)
We have advanced to Cracow today to find it lightly defended
1 Infantry Regiment supported by Artillery, the latter is quickly over run

Kalisz in the North was found to be undefended and quickly captured whilst 2 Artillery Regiments move in ready to begin a bombardment on Radomsko

Our Luftflotte engages the Polish air causing massive casualties for few in return

I must admit to a certain amount of admiration towards the Polish bomber pilots, following the devastation caused on their supporting fighters they must know that they are doomed but still they press their attacks hoping to stem the tide. Luckily, although they caught an Infantry Regiment mounted they caused few casualties (2 SP)

September 5th 1939 (3)
As I predicted the Polish Bombers were destroyed, not a single plane will make it home to land, with their fighter wing devastated I believe we now have total air supremacy.
Cracow was overwhelmed and is now in Wehrmact hands.
Sadly I have been forced to relieve one of my Regimental commanders. For reasons unknown he led his Artillery Regiment in an advance eastwards ahead of our other forces despite his orders to relocate south to assist in the capture of Nowy Sacz (I'm claiming temporary madness in my defence as a player!)

In the North my forces have closed on Lodz and the bombardment of Radomsko has begun

Polish counter attacks near Lodz has forced an entire regiment of Panzer IBs to fall back with heavy casualties (7 SP) and the defenders of Radomsko have sallied out to attack my Artillery to little effect. Leaving their defences in such a reckless attack is either foolhardy or extremely brave, either way they will soon regret their rash action.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:55 am

September 7th 1939 (4)
A Polish armoured Regiment was discovered defending Sandomierz

It was first softened up by our BF110C air wing and then obliterated by the Panzer III Regiment 'on loan' to me further fuelling my desire to have this Regiment transferred to my permanent command.

Radomsko has been taken and an artillery Regiment near Lodz has been over run.

September 9th 1939 (5)
Sandomierz has been taken and Lodz is now surrounded and the nearby airfield over run.

September 11th 1939 (6)
My attached Gebirasjager Regiment along with the Slovakian Regiment and artillery support has succeeded in storming Nowy Sacz with only minor loses.

Three Regiments have moved into position to assault Radom, they only wait now for artillery support to redeploy from the south. Meanwhile I have sent a 4th Regiment to outflank the Polish positions to the east and capture their remaining air field.

Lodz has fallen but the Polish Fighter wing had returned reinforced to full strength, I dispatched orders to the Commander of my Luftflotte to intercept and regain total mastery of the skies once more and he did not disappoint.
A Polish Anti tank Regiment is spotted guarding the road to Warsaw.

September 13th 1939 (7)
The Polish fighter wing fled to their one remaining airfield, as they came in on approach they must have noticed the Panzers occupying the runway! As they reversed their descent and began to climb they became easy prey for the 109s close on their tails.
September 19th 1939 (10)
The past few days have seen a pause as my forces resupplied and reinforced. Radom was taken without fuss and my Corps advanced on Warsaw in overwhelming force. The fighting was short but bloody and by the end of this day Warsaw lay in German hands.

Shortly afterwards the Polish government surrendered and I have achieved my first Decisive Victory!

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:16 pm

April 9th 1940
The past 6 months have been spent resting and refitting my Corps (which is still drastically under strength) in preparation for the planned invasion of Norway of which I have been given overall command.

I have received reinforcements bringing my Regiments up to strength (In some cases using favours to secure experienced troops rather than raw recruits) Also following my victory in Poland, High Command reinforced my Corps with a new Regiment which I assigned to my 1st Division.

I have also been kept up to date with recent innovations

I also used all the influence I had with the Luftwaffe to increase the size of my attached Luftflotte gaining a further fighter wing as well as a wing of the new Ju88A level bombers. I have also managed to procure new heavy equipment for one of my Infantry regiments (1st division) and upgraded them to Grenadier status whilst a second unit is equipped with the new sdkf2 251/1 Half tracks (3rd Division)
This has, I am informed, left me with very little good will with High Command (14 prestige!)

As C-in-C of operation Weserubung I have been given operational command of Kreigsmarine units deployed to support the invasion.
3 Heavy Cruisers - Admiral Hipper, Blucher and Lutzow.
2 Light Cruisers – Koln and Konigsberg.
5 Destroyer Flotilla's
2 Schnelboote Flotilla's
1 U-boat Flotilla
I also have for the duration of this campaign command of a Fallschirmjager Division (3 regiments) and a Regiment of Panzer IVDs.

2 of the Fallschirmjager Regiments will capture the southern airfields before helping to capture the cities, they will then redeploy north using their air transports. The 3rd regiment will reinforce the 1st Division landing in the north.
The Kriegsmarine will protect the landings before engaging the Royal Navy. I would like them to regroup and engage en-mass though I suspect this will not be possible.

BlindSniper
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by BlindSniper » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks for AAR, nice to read :D
Field of Glory
Advanced Squad Leader

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

BlindSniper wrote:Thanks for AAR, nice to read :D
Thanks for reading :D

I actually quite enjoy writing AAR's though it does slow my playing down lots!

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:01 pm

April 9th 1940 (1)
Pouring rain and muddy ground conditions may yet cause this invasion to fail before it even begins, tomorrows forecast is better with clear skies and dry ground.

The 1st Division landed without opposition whilst the Admiral Hipper and her 2 supporting Destroyer Flotilla's take up position to protect the beach heads.

The 2nd and 3rd Divisions were not in position to land immediately but there landing craft have approached the Norwegian shore ready to disembark their valuable cargo tomorrow.
ImageImage

The 1st and 2nd Fallschirmjager Regiments secure the Airfields in the south while the transports carrying my attached Gebirasjager Regiment along with a Panzer regiment detached from the 3rd Division approach to landing positions.

As day one of operation Weserubung comes to a close I have received an urgent request for support from the Admiral Hipper, both her supporting Destroyer Flotilla's have been sunk and she has sighted several enemy cruisers blocking her escape.

The Norwegians have hastily reinforced their Positions around Bergen and we have more sightings of Royal Navy assets. A British fighter wing has also been spotted, the question is where did they launch from?

The landing craft carrying the 3rd Division have come under heavy shell fire form a previously unseen Norwegian fort. Their Artillery regiment loses many guns in the attack.

I am determined to carry through with my plans but between the Royal Navy intervening at the northern landing point, the Norwegians heavily reinforcing at Bergen and heavy casualties already sustained in the South I feel my first twinges of doubt.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 pm

April 10th 1940 (2)
I received word from the Admiral Hipper, she engaged a French Light Cruiser causing massive damage. She is still trapped and I fear will soon be lost.
The 1st Division has been ordered to advance and capture Trondheim urgently in order to prevent the Royal Navy interfering.

The 2nd and 3rd Divisions have successfully secured their beachheads and now prepare to launch their assaults.

I have ordered The Kreigsmarine to advance up the west coast in a (probbaly futile) effort to relieve the Admiral Hipper.
A British Destroyer squadron is sunk – a start but I worry about what heavier ships are present.
The Luftwaffe engage the Royal Air Force leaving their fighter wing badly mauled.

Luftwaffe and Kreigsmarine support in the south aids in the capture of Kristiansand and reduces the defenders of Stavanger.

Another Kreigsmarine Destroyer Flotilla has been sunk in the west and I am concerned with our ability to handle the Royal Navy.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:44 pm

April 11th 1940 (3)
The Admiral Hipper is still afloat and managed to sink the French Cruiser she engaged yesterday!
With the 1st Division launching the assault on Trondheim I am confidant they will carry the city before the Allied Navy can intervene.

In the south The 3rd Divisions advance is held up by the Norwegian fortifications. The Panzers outflanking Oslo to the west make an assault on the airfield as it is only defended by a Flak Regiment. As they approach they spot RAF Hurricanes scrambling to avoid destruction on the ground. Luftwaffe 109s arrived in time to prevent their escape.

As I suspected it would, Stavanjer falls in the south, the Fallschirmjager Regiments begin to redeploy northwards using their air transports.

With support from the light Cruiser Koln and a wing of Tactical Bombers the Kreigsmarine U-boats and Destroyers mange to sink an Allied Destroyer squadron and Submarine group. A wing of Ju88A's from my attached Luftflotte spot and attack the RN Heavy Cruiser Devonshire causing heavy damage, they also report the location of the HMS Warspite a RN Battleship!

The 2nd Division has begun clearing away the Norwegian troops located around Bergen and Vossevangen destroying an Infantry Regiment as well as the Norwegian Artillery.

The Allies launch small localised counter attacks inflicting minimal casualties although the 2nd Divisions Panzer Regiment is madly mauled.
More Allied naval assets have appeared in the West.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:02 pm

April 12th 1940 (4)
Reports from the 1st Division confirm that Trondheim is captured. Just as good news is that the Admiral Hipper has not been engaged and is therefore still afloat! She spotted a French Destroyer Squadron attempting to rescue the survivors from the Cruiser sunk yesterday and engaged.

The fort holding up the 3rd Divisions advance is finally overrun but both Infantry Regiments are in bad shape. The Panzer IV Regiment assigned to support me in this operation has managed to overrun the airfield north of Oslo, so far I am surprised by the lack of air power defending Norway.

The HMS Devinshire has been sunk! Attacks from the Luftwaffe left her listing allowing a Kreigmarine Destroyer to finish her off. The RN Destroyers in the area have also been badly shot up even as the Konigsberg steams north to support his sister ship.

The Destroyer that sunk the Devonshire has in turn been sunk herself and one of our Schnellboote Flotilla's has been badly shot up but the Royal Navy is withdrawing from the Krigsmarine!
I have sent orders to all Kriegsmarine ships involved in the operation “Hunt the Warspite and sink”

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:40 pm

April 13th 1940 (5)
The weather remains clear but rain is forecast for tomorrow.

The 1st Division with a Fallschirmjager Regiment in attendance have headed north towards their final objective – Namos. Another Fallschirmjager Regiment will deploy to the west of the City to hopefully encircle it.
We have had made contact with a British Infantry Regiment who so far have proved to be more resolute in defence than the Norwegians. We have also spotted a French Regiment.
The Admiral Hipper has reported, she finished off the remnants of the French DD squadron that unwisely chose to remain on station attempting to rescue drowning sailors. She also reports no other Allied Naval units currently detected, my hopes of her survival have grown especially following the Naval engagements on the west coast.

The 3rd Division Infantry Regiments have been reinforced thus allowing the Divisional artillery (now reinforced and resupplied) to move into position.
The Divisions Panzer Regiments along with the attached Panzer IVs have destroyed a Norwegian Infantry Regiment in the open and captured the unguarded city of Kongsvinger.

Our U-boat Flotilla managed to locate the HMS Warspite (BB) and Renown (CA) and combining with a Luftwaffe bomber wing cause massive damage to the Warspite.
The Koln engaged the Renown, our Light cruiser getting the best of the exchange. (The Renown already had 2 steps of damage, as the Hipper also has 2 steps of damage that I cant remember it getting I think they may have had an exchange I didn't notice!)
Meanwhile the Konigsberg combined with our remaining Destroyer Flotilla and our half strength Schnelboote Flotilla to sink the remaining RN Destroyer Squadron.

With support from the two Heavy Cruisers Blucher and Lutzow the 2nd Division has captured Vossevangen and destroyed an Infantry Regiment trying to dig in within the mountains.

With one Fallschirmjager Regiment already reinforcing the 1st Division and a 2nd about to air drop
in support the 3rd is transported to drop near Andalsnes in the North only to spot an unpleasant surprise, more Brits!
I may re-evaluate their orders.

The Warspite and Renown have once more withdrawn though a lone RN Destroyer Squadron has attempted to engage our U-boats...and failed.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:41 pm

April 14th 1940 (6)
As predicted we have rain today but the forecast is clear for tomorrow.

The Admiral Hipper requested permission to break out to the open sea and link up with the Kreigsmarine. With a RN Battleship and Heavy Cruiser (albeit both damaged) still on the prow somewhere in the North I declined the request and instead ordered her to turn her guns on to the British Infantry defending the airfield south of Namos and then retreat to port. Her guns combined with artillery support allowed Panzers of the 1st Division to overrun the airfield although the Fallschirmjager Regiment covering their right flank took heavy loses leading the assault.
A second Fallschirmjager Regiment has air dropped to the west.
The Grenadier Regiment have been despatched south to take the city of Roros.

The defenders of Oslo show true Norwegian grit as they hold off attacks from the entire 3rd Division and the supporting Panzer IVs, they have earned my respect with this one act but their stubbornness delays our advance north.

The RN Destroyer flotilla that had the bad judgement to hunt our U-boats is no more, fire from the Koln and Konigsberg all but obliterated them allowing out remaining Destroyers to sink them.

The inability to capture Oslo is repeated as Bergen. Despite support from the guns of 2 Heavy Cruisers the 2nd Division fail to carry the city.

I have transmitted new drop co-ordinates for the Fallschirmjager Regiment due to assault Andalsnes, this should see them able to approach undetected. The Kriegsmarine will support their attack and will hopefully prove enough to dislodge the stubborn Brits.

Reports form the 1st Division indicate that the Fallschirmjager Regiment protecting their right flank has been destroyed by the French! They have requested additional Infantry support to help overcome the defences. I already have my attached Gebirasjager Regiment in transit to the position to support the Grenadier Regiment heading to Roros, they may have to be redirected.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:55 pm

April 15th 1940 (7)
After yesterdays rain its now sunny again though the forecast for tomorrow is more clouds.

We have located a RN Carrier off the Norwegian coast to the north of Namsos, it has been identified as the HMS Glorious. The Renown has also been located, she is being escorted by a damaged RN Destroyer.
Our Schnellboote Flotilla locate the damaged Warspite, attacks form the JU88A Bomber wing leaves her still floating but the Blucher brought her into range and finishes the job.
The Koln engages the damaged Renown and once again comes off better, the renown now listing heavily. Meanwhile the Admiral Hipper sinks the remaining RN Destroyer.

The British Infantry Regiment under heavy artillery and air assault attempted to evacuate from the beaches, don't they know that it is impossible for a large force to escape that way?...
Combined attacks from the Fallschirmjager Regiment and my own Panzer IIIs caused heavy casualties and forced them to surrender.

Oslo has finally been captured, the defenders of Honefors proved nowhere near as stubborn and this city is also occupied.

Bergen has also been taken.

The 3rd Fallschirmjager Regiment lands at their new co-ordinates ready to launch an attack tomorrow. The Lutzow and Konigsberg support by engaging the British Artillery along with a Luftwaffe Tactical bomber Wing leaving it badly shot up

The HMS Renown has turned her guns on the Fallschirmjager Regiment advancing against Namsos causing light casualties. I must confess my understanding off Naval warfare is limited but I would have thought the Renown would attempt to escape to sea rather than face a far superior force?
Even so with the Warspite now sunk I direct the Kriegsmarine Cruisers to support land operations whilst the lighter elements finish off the Royal Navy in the area. The HMS Glorious is a priority target, think I've my renown if I sink a Carrier!

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:23 pm

April 16th 1940 (8)
The weather has gone cloudy with a high chance of rain tomorrow.

All our Cruisers (save the Admiral Hipper) a Luftwaffe Bomber wing and the 3rd Fallschirmjager Regiment combine to destroy the British Artillery and cause suppression on their Infantry.

My Ju88A Bomber wing sinks the HMS Renown leaving the HMS Glorious (CV) as the only allied naval asset in the Norwegian theatre (that we know of) Meanwhile the Schnellboote Flotilla damages the Carrier.
The French Infantry Regiment remains resolute in the mountains, if all the French fight so well we may have difficulty when the war turns in that direction.

The 2nd and 3rd Divisions have begun to unite in central Norway and together head north. Lillehammer and Elverum both come under siege and I expect my forces to take them both tomorrow even though both are defended by Norwegian Mountain Regiments whom are proving tough than the regular Norwegians.

The British Infantry attack the Fallschirmjager Regiment. Coming off worse they chose to withdraw.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:48 pm

April 17th 1940 (9)
As predicted we have had rain today though the ground remains firm. If the deluge continues I fear it could be muddy tomorrow.

The French Regiment has finally been forced out of the mountains but they are not destroyed.
The Schnellboote Flotilla further damages the HMS Glorious, with no planes she is an easy target.

Andalsnes has been captured by the Fallschirmjager Regiment. They will need to be resupplied before they advance, which is fine as I want to wait for good weather.

The 2nd and 3rd Divisions manage to destroy the defenders of Lillehammer though they fail to capture the city but the defenders of Elverum stand fast.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:36 pm

April 18th 1940 (10)
Still raining and the ground is now muddy, tomorrows forecast is no better.

In the north the 1st Division rests and regroups. The remaining Destroyer Flotilla has engaged the British carrier inflicting light damage on her while the Cruisers continue to support ground operations.

Lillehammer and Elverum both fell today. The 1st and 2nd Divisions head north finding a Norwegian Infantry regiment blocking access to Dombas,

April 19th 1940 (11)
It is still raining today and the ground condition remains poor. The forecast for tomorrow is clear skies but it will take some time for the ground to firm up again.

The 1st Division continues to rest and reinforce, waiting for a break in the weather before they launch the final assault on Namos.

The Norwegian Regiment blocking the way to Dombas has been badly mauled and withdrawn to the mountains.

The French Regiment in the north has returned to full strength and attacked the 1st Divisions Panzer Regiment. Where the they found replacements from I do not know, I can only guess that they have enlisted local men into their ranks, that could explain their newly found poor performance.

The British Infantry also reappeared and the road to Dombas is once again blocked, I have sent orders to engage immediately before they have a chance to deploy properly.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:05 pm

April 20th 1940 (12)
The sky has cleared once more allowing the Luftwaffe to support our attacks but the ground is still muddy though it is forecast to have hardened by tomorrow.

My Ju88A Wing delivers the final blows to the HMS Glorious, scratch one Royal Navy Carrier!
With naval and air support that stubborn French Regiment is finally wiped out and Namos is under siege.

The British Regiment has also been destroyed today and Dombas is surrounded

Roros falls following sea and air bombardment

April 21st 1940 (13)
The skies are clear and the ground firm enough to allow normal operations no tthat we have far to go now. The last two free Norwegian cities are captured and the last Norwegian fighting units eliminated.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Another decisive victory and now all I have to do is decide what to spend my Prestige on for the Low Countries...I'm thinking a unit of Bridging Engineers, maybe a tank or 2 and another infantry unit...or maybe another fighter and/or bomber?

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!!!!

Oh I do know I have one more Grenadier in half tracks, another SE Unit :D

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:52 am

Nice AAR. I really enjoy to read it. :)

As for units for low countries: I am personally not a friend of Bridging Engineers. While they give you some nice tactical option they seems to have a short life span. They are still quite vulnerable when acting as bridge and AI seems to like to decimate them. But maybe it's just me being a bit careless with them.

I would first upgrade the tanks you got. You really do not want PzI or II around for to long. Latest in France they will be cannon fodder for the French units. My core in LC was composed as follows: 6 motorized Infantry (mostly only Opel Blitz as transport due to prestige shortage), 5 Tanks (3 x PzIII, 2xPzIV) thanks to HC for the SE PzIII i got for free here, 2 x Artillery, 2 x Scout, 1 x fighter, 2 x Ju87, 1xBf110, 1xJu88A. In retrospective i should have probably have more fighters or at least replace one of the Ju87 with a Bf110 as wrestling air superiority from the allies was really troublesome.

Horseman
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Horseman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Tarrak wrote:Nice AAR. I really enjoy to read it. :)

As for units for low countries: I am personally not a friend of Bridging Engineers. While they give you some nice tactical option they seems to have a short life span. They are still quite vulnerable when acting as bridge and AI seems to like to decimate them. But maybe it's just me being a bit careless with them.

I would first upgrade the tanks you got. You really do not want PzI or II around for to long. Latest in France they will be cannon fodder for the French units. My core in LC was composed as follows: 6 motorized Infantry (mostly only Opel Blitz as transport due to prestige shortage), 5 Tanks (3 x PzIII, 2xPzIV) thanks to HC for the SE PzIII i got for free here, 2 x Artillery, 2 x Scout, 1 x fighter, 2 x Ju87, 1xBf110, 1xJu88A. In retrospective i should have probably have more fighters or at least replace one of the Ju87 with a Bf110 as wrestling air superiority from the allies was really troublesome.
First off thanks for the compliment , glad you're enjoying it.

Seems to me you haven't maxed out your corps for low countries? Deployment limit is 22 Units (Plus all your free SE units) and you have only 20 units including 1 SE?

I'm definately thinking to upgrade my Panzer Is to either IIIs or IV's and buying another tank or 2, plus I want to mount all my infantry (in half traks preferably!) except the mountain guys, I want them to keep thier mountain move ability Uunless someone can tell me its gonna be useless in the future!)
I'm still tempted by the Bridging unit, I can see an area in the north were they'll be coming in extremely useful though I'm concerned for their totally awful combat stats!

Choices choices, took me hours to decide for Norway and its not got any easier....will probably start playing soon so will have to bite the bullet, if anyone else has some advice before then please throw in your pennies worth

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”