Full report about DLC 1939

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Full report about DLC 1939

Post by Uhu »

First of all: the Grand Campaign idea is great (as from game makers financial, as from the game players view :) ), the scenarios and the "storytelling" are creative and good.

- First some universal information about the circumstances:
I play on Rommel level, which is really hard on the original german campaigns (I still strugling with the USA East coast mission...)!
I could make all DLC 39 scenarios decisive victory.

Achtung!!! Possible SPOILERS!!!

- Now, let's see the scenarios one by one.
1., Poznan
Good beginning scn. Tried two times, because first time, after a few turns, the losses were to big (and, as we know, at Rommel mode, you really have to take care of you units... :) ). Mission objectives creative and motivating. Difficult: 3/5 (where 5 is the most difficult level).

2., Danzig Corridor South
Good average scn. Not so hard, also tried two times, because first time, after a few turns, the losses were to big. Mission objectives are OK.
Difficult: 3/5 (where 5 is the most difficult level).

3., Lodz
A real hard one (at least, if you want to "collect" also the non-objective cities also). Tried several times: one time, too many auxiliary died, another time, my losses were too big, another time, I couldn't finished to take all objectives in the given time. Here, you really have to plan and coordinate your movements.
The objectives and the "story" is good and motivating.
Difficult: 5/5

4., Piatek
Loved this one! Great defending scn. I could make it second time (first thing gone well, but my recon unit, which have moved too north, was brutally massacred). Player have to really carefully set up his defending line + he have to act real fast to react on changing situations. I could win the scn, but it was not far to make only a Minor victory. Mission is well motivating.
Difficult: 4/5

5., Kampinoska Forest.
Creative mission, with nice enviroment. Began again after a few turns, because of too much losses. After that. I could make it, but it was also not far from a MV only. Players has to take care of his units in the dense forest, where evil and powerful horse units are lurking! :shock: :D Liked the special mission objectives.
Difficult: 4/5

6., Modlin
Also a real hard one. Tried several times, but couldn't take the last objective, nor to destroy the fortifications. Here again, coordinated and well planned action is required (+ many guns! :) ). A classical attack + siege scn, where you have also to find the right method to win. Mission objectives are good. Difficult: 5/5

7., Warsaw North
Big map, many units, more logistics needed. I acted, as the briefing adjusted and took the backyard towns, with the guns. Without them, the scn is not to make DV, but with them, it was not so hard. Map is nice and the urban warfare brings new gameplay in the campaign. Could made it on the first time.
Difficult: 3/5

8., Spoils of war
The first scn, where I was not so happy. I don't liked the hipothetical situation - motivation was almost zero. After the first shocking clash with soviet units, I tried again more careful, but I also thought about to cancel this mission and choose the next mission. Only played for extra prestige points (units were long time experimenced and on level 12). At the end, the KV-2 was a shock, but could finish it in a few turn. Gameplay was a little boring, nothing extra tactics needed, only the knowed ones has to be used.

9., Oslo
Sadly, the too easy scn'a were beginning from here... :( Mission objective was motivating (save the KMS Büchler), but it was easy to fulfil it. Enemy defense was weak, I anticipated more enemy air and maybe naval units. I took turns earlier my objectives.
Difficult: 2/5

10., Lillehammer
Nice map and nice, fresh enviroment. Again too easy, again enemy defense too weak, not much enemy air. !BUG: many towns are not named, only "Norwegian town" - I hope, this issue will be adressed, because, when all naval units are named one by one (which is really nice), it is a little feeling-taking the encounter this. So, the scn was far to be easy.
Difficult: 1/5

11., Narvik
Nice scn, the naval battle is also nice, fresh gameplay element - but it is also too easy. :( Maybe, if I didn't would have a Ju88, that battle would have take another outcome...but I had that Ju88, and therefore the scn was so easy, that is was almost boring. The mission objective was good, but because of the easiness of the scn, the fun factor was low. It was again a routine operation.
Difficult: 1/5.

General: most scns are good, or very good, but after Warsaw, the difficult level goes to easy. I'm at the first scn of the DLC 40, and it was again very easy, made at the first try. I hope, the light difficulty will not continue... I think, the last few scns should set more difficult.

(I feel myself not a super-player: with the Rommel mode, I have really many times tried, many scn's in the original campaign, until I could make DV, or at the defending "short" campaigns, even a MV.)
(...and sorry my bad english, I'm on it to make it better. 8) ) [/u]
deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter »

Nice to see someone playing on a rather challenging difficulty. It's interesting that you think the Norway missions are too easy, I agree with you, and I said this during closed beta.

One day, maybe you'll return and try this on Manstein.
8., Spoils of war
The first scn, where I was not so happy. I don't liked the hipothetical situation - motivation was almost zero. After the first shocking clash with soviet units, I tried again more careful, but I also thought about to cancel this mission and choose the next mission. Only played for extra prestige points (units were long time experimenced and on level 12). At the end, the KV-2 was a shock, but could finish it in a few turn. Gameplay was a little boring, nothing extra tactics needed, only the knowed ones has to be used.
Heh, the difficulty for this one is 10/5 on Manstein.
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Didn't yet played the game on Manstein. (Somebody from the creators wrote, that the Rommel mode is the most challanging.) But I can imagine that, what you wrote. :)

deducter wrote:Nice to see someone playing on a rather challenging difficulty. It's interesting that you think the Norway missions are too easy, I agree with you, and I said this during closed beta.

One day, maybe you'll return and try this on Manstein.
8., Spoils of war
Heh, the difficulty for this one is 10/5 on Manstein.
deducter

Post by deducter »

I personally don't find Rommel too different from Field Marshall, in fact, my units get experience faster, although I generally can't afford to elite reinforce, even in the deployment screen.

The thing about Manstein is, the AI will be more aggressive with its units, in addition, they deal more damage and take longer to kill. I've notice the AI be more active generally on Manstein, and you might be shocked at how easily your units die.

I consider Manstein to be the hardest mode.
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Full report about DLC 1939

Post by Molve »

Uhu wrote:where evil and powerful horse units are lurking
Like this?

Uhu

Re: Full report about DLC 1939

Post by Uhu »