1942 DLC: Stalingrad Docks

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

1942 DLC: Stalingrad Docks

Post by endur »

The remainder of the Panzer Division that survived storming Stalingrad would now have to deal with the Soviet Forces streaming across the river to reinforce Stalingrad.

Objectives from high command included the Stalingrad Railstation near the river and Pavlov's house. And we would have defeat the Soviet forces without the use of air units, as all of our air units have been sent to the river to sink the ferries and barges.

Panzer Division Order of Battle
Panzer Regiment (1 SE PzIIIL, 4 SE PzIVG, 4 PzIVG)
Infantry Regiments (2 Wehr, 1 Gren, 1 Para, 6 Mtn, 6 Engineer)
Artillery (5 21 cm Mrs, 1 Sturm, 1 SU-122)
Air (3 FW 190A, 1 Ju 87D, 1 Bf 110G, 4 He 177A)

Air setup near the river, land forces setup to clear the city

Casualties were significantly reduced from Storming Stalingrad. Prestige lost 3500 (after replacements purchased at start of next scenario). 3 units destroyed (2 experienced inf and 1 experienced artillery).

Weather was ok, although one turn of snow weather allowed barges to stream across the river, and a turn of cloudy weather was nearly as bad.

(OOC: this battle was a lot easier to handle than storming Stalingrad, I think it was because the river made the map seem much smaller. Or the fact that the although there were two tough fights .. the rail station and Pavlov's house, the rest of the map wasn't so bad.)
shawkhan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: 1942 DLC: Stalingrad Docks

Post by shawkhan »

I will bet your 4 strategic bombers came in really handy in this scenario.
I see you used more artillery and infantry this time.

I must confess to be impressed that you can succeed with so few fighters. I generally use at least 6 of them in these scenarios as I like to destroy the Russian aerial presence as quickly as it rears its head.

How are you doing for prestige?
You will need lots of prestige in 1943 to buy those Tiger tanks and Panthers.
I am currently three scenarios behind you in my current playthrough with over 70k prestige. Have to investigate some mysterious area of the map, hoho!
In order to finish the game through 1945 I have found there is no such thing as too much prestige so I have been scrimping like a miser, keeping my casualties low and cutting way back on overstrengthing.

BTW, no need to start new threads. An ongoing commentary can continue w/o filling up the forum.
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

shawkhan wrote:I will bet your 4 strategic bombers came in really handy in this scenario.
I see you used more artillery and infantry this time.

I must confess to be impressed that you can succeed with so few fighters. I generally use at least 6 of them in these scenarios as I like to destroy the Russian aerial presence as quickly as it rears its head.

How are you doing for prestige?
You will need lots of prestige in 1943 to buy those Tiger tanks and Panthers.
I am currently three scenarios behind you in my current playthrough with over 70k prestige. Have to investigate some mysterious area of the map, hoho!
In order to finish the game through 1945 I have found there is no such thing as too much prestige so I have been scrimping like a miser, keeping my casualties low and cutting way back on overstrengthing.

BTW, no need to start new threads. An ongoing commentary can continue w/o filling up the forum.
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I'm trying out more artillery to see how it impacts things. The 4 strat bombers hammered the ferries crossing the river.
3 is my minimum for bringing fighters, I do sometimes bring more (I have 6 in my core).

70k prestige is amazing. I need to spend more time focusing on prestige efficiency. I'm in the teens.

I've stopped over-strengthening. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it makes a scenario much easier. On the other hand, it increases prestige drain.

I've actually gone back a year to try some of the 1940 scenarios with increased artillery.
hmshood
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by hmshood »

thanks for the heads up on "Storming Stalingrad"...these posts are extremely helpful...that was the most difficult scenario so far...There was never ever enuff' INF...by sheer coincidence "Enemy at the Gates" was on TV last night....gives one an interesting perspective on how truly awful that struggle was...

now...can someone show me where the docks are?
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

The docks are in the beginning of "enemy at the gates" where the Protagonist and his unit members watch dive bombers while crossing the river.

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”