GC42-45 EAST, replays and analysis, Field marshall

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

dalfrede
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: GC42-45 EAST, replays and analysis, Field marshall

Post by dalfrede » Sat May 05, 2018 2:32 pm

goose_2 wrote: This playthrough is not on Manstein, it is on Field Marshall
Yes I know, but the strategy is the type one develops for Manstein or Rommel.
A good tactician can roll through most of these scenarios, but the tougher levels require more top level thought for success.
I used the phrase 'Manstein on Field Marshall' to note the difference.
If hugh2711 were to play through again on Rommel he would not have much problem, something many players can not do.
Manstein requires a step up in tactics, and is a Bridge too Far for us, the fainthearted.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by hugh2711 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:13 pm

I have specifically done this at field marshall level a) because I am not that good, b) it is meant for newer less experienced players to get to know the tricks that work at the lower (unlocked) levels and c) because I hate taking big losses, I just dont enjoy the game then. To do this at the higher levels you certainly can blast your way through by taking much bigger losses. Alot of the time the same tricks/strategy/style would work but NOT always. Also I rely alot on specifically using specific heroes (depending on what I get) to their greatest strengths and accuracies rather than a generic type of unit that has extra heroes on top, that would not work against strength 15 units! and with 5 less turns I would hardly ever get a DV.

TSPC37730: RE;Korsun breakout Yes most of my units were deliberately fast. there were lots of fast tanks and arty with high movement. First the tanks blocked the main enemy wedge while everything else like infantry and arty blew a path west to the capturable. Then the tanks and fast arty caught up and overtook the infantry etc. Then the tanks and fast arty (su122 & wurf) turned south. tanks went over the crossing first to clear a path and protect but not needed much. I didnt need to use the bridge engineer really. I could have sneaked the fast group straight to the extraction point early but I wanted to have some fun and prestige so delayed it a bit and took some hexes etc. The slower and softer units stayed north of the river as you only need 10 units home.

Dalfrede; I find rommell too difficult. you are so short of prestige you cant form your formations properly and tweak it how it is useful, particularly in GC39. You always seem to be playing 'catchup' and can never get it right how you want it. Too frustrating.

dalfrede

Post by dalfrede » Sat May 05, 2018 6:21 pm

hugh2711 wrote: To do this at the higher levels you certainly can blast your way through by taking much bigger losses.
You miss my point. At the higher levels one can't easily blast one's way through. At FM one can.

1) Your strategy and skill level should work on Rommel now!
Blasting your way through will cost prestige you don't have.
2) Your strategy might work on Guderian, but you will get more MV's.
One gets fewer special heroes if the MV's causes one to miss the scenario that grants them. Streets of Moscow for example.
3) Your strategy will work on Manstein, but requires very good tactics as well.

My point was that you are half way to Manstein [Strategy].
The tactics to win on Manstein will more difficult to develop.

hugh2711 wrote: c) because I hate taking big losses, I just don't enjoy the game then.
4) You may not want to play on Manstein, ever. I played Pozen on Manstein, got a DV but lost an infantry. Haven't gone on or tried again.

5) if you like puzzles, and don't mind replaying to get it right, Guderian is the way to go.

Main point of my series of comments in this thread:
6) You may actually find Rommel easier than FM. Less prestige, but you should be able to handle that.

The higher levels are mainly a mind set issue, not a difficultly issue.
Manstein excepted.

Note: You can start on FM and go to Rommel once your army is set.
I play Nico's buy your own army mod. Started on FM shifted to Rommel.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 pm

I may try rommell next playthrough. I havent seen nico's buy your own army mod, i may try that if I can find it but it depends on how much you start with I dont want to be wasting the first few scenarios because i'm too short, might as well go back to normal start. Nikkivdd's revamp of GC is great as well but it is slightly easier to play. I have occasionally looked at the AAR's of the higher levels and most (more skilled than I ) people take much higher losses than I am happy about/interested in playing at. Same with the wonderful battlefield europe mod. I would rather get a draw and have 195 of my origional core units and little losses per unit than have an enormous win with massive losses in both units and per unit.
My general strategy is good but my individual turns and unit v unit battles are rubbish!

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 pm

You now get a choice of two paths North (N) and South (S). I will choose to take the south path for the following reason. If you go for the south path you get jassy kishinev (which is quite easy) before poltava/mogilev. At the end of the campaign before budapest you get return to jassy kishinev which is ok. If you take the north path you get Narva which is quite easy and then strachwitz offensive which is absolutely horrible and difficult. At the moment I would take unacceptable losses doing it. It is a small map, bad terrain, ridiculous amount of enemy units. (just take off the fog of war and you will see a sea of yellow dots). This is why alot of people find the later grand campaign missions boring and there are fewer AAR's ; the ratio of units to territory is too high and it just turns into a 'Risk-like' tank slugfest). In fact I dont think there is an english language video AAR of stachwitz. I may try it when I have finished the GC. I have put narva from the north path on for anyone interested. Strachwitz will have to wait.

3.N) Narva [DV] Prestige = 126655 [prestige per turn = 200 + capturable su122 + enemy goes first]
Strategy: An easy river defensive scenario, small map. Mixed terrain. Lots of air activity, a massive initial wave and then more spread out instead of waves. The enemy has lots of spaag/mobile AA/ static/AA so it can be relatively expensive air-wise unless you are careful and you will have to deploy more AA than usual. For this reason I will not deploy 3 tactical bombers (just uber rudel) as they spend alot of time doing nothing as you get bopped if you venture too far. You need to decide beforehand wether you are going for the DV or MV. I would suggest the DV as it is easy. The trick/aim is to form killing fields on the river crossings and in the town narva area, as well as easily destroying lots of units like most rivers it is easy to get prestige boosting partial surrenders as well. You have to (reach and then) save 7 aux units out of twelve from the town area. You can use the surplus aux units as very effectively as disposable units in the town. They just have to survive, they dont have to be in reasonable shape hence they can be used for diversions and then run away when too weak. You will need to prolong it to get the most of that very generous 200 prestige per turn.
Core activity: The capturable SU122 is beyond the river but hopefully you will know the right time to venture out due to the enemy running out of units to throw at your killing fields.
Deployment: Softcap = 65% I deployed one less unit than allocated thinking I might need a bridge engineer later on. grenadier, 2x para, M+3, pionere, panther, 2x tiger, SE panther, 6x SE tiger, 2x 17cm, stug3B, 4x wurf, 2x sig38, a train, 3x su122, 3x 88mm Mobile AA. air; 7x F, uber rudel.
Destroyed: 41,37,2,9,8,8,0,9,4,5. Total = 123
Comments: If I did this again I think I woud divert more resources to the southernmost crossing as by eliminating enemy units quicker I could venture out earlier and have more fun, possibly take the units qeueing at the near crossing from behind (no innuendo intended) etc. I actually lost a few points on my newest tank/panther because of under-resourcing that crossing.The difficulty of this scenario is the enemy mobile AA units and some of the long range artilliary around the town. As for that unallocated deployment slot I would iether use more long range artilliary or another ground based AA unit.
Attachments
replay(07.05.2018) Narva, Turn 18.rar
(62.4 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 pm

hugh2711 wrote:I may try rommell next playthrough. I havent seen nico's buy your own army mod, i may try that if I can find it but it depends on how much you start with I dont want to be wasting the first few scenarios because i'm too short, might as well go back to normal start. Nikkivdd's revamp of GC is great as well but it is slightly easier to play. I have occasionally looked at the AAR's of the higher levels and most (more skilled than I ) people take much higher losses than I am happy about/interested in playing at. Same with the wonderful battlefield europe mod. I would rather get a draw and have 195 of my origional core units and little losses per unit than have an enormous win with massive losses in both units and per unit.
My general strategy is good but my individual turns and unit v unit battles are rubbish!

I cry foul here my friend...you could not put numbers up like you have on your playthrough on Field Marshall, which is the hardest normal level, and say your skills are rubbish. You are doing better than I did on my first full Field Marshall playthrough, with a lot more in prestige than I ever dreamed possible at the time.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:58 pm

3.S) Jassy kishinev [DV] Prestige = 126655 [prestige per turn = 200 + capturable su122 + enemy goes first]
Strategy: A straightforward defensive scenario. A big map. Mixed terrain. The map is split into 3 vertical strips by two rivers. In the first/left/main strip alot of the enemy units get funnelled into a narrow space in front of ideal defensive positions where you can kill and force surrenders at your leisure. The only thing you have to watch is that they do not sneak around a flank on the right side behind a river in another strip. There will be a secondary attack in the second strip, the terrain is less favourable but the attack is smaller. The only difficult thing is the sheer number of units can be uncomfortable, some of them are overtrength and upgunned T34's and heavies so you do feel spread a bit thinly. After you have thinned out the initial wave you can go forward and take hexes and a capturable su122. The airforce in this can be quite sharp. The biggest wave of attack is actually in the middle of the game.The enemy also has alot of static and mobile AA. You get given alot of aux units which are needed to slow down the enemy while you bring your troops into position, the deployment zones are a distance away from where they are needed you will need to use the rail system. When you get your first turn there are a large number of enemy aircraft within range and sight however there are a couple of static AA out of sight but within range so you have to choose to be cautious or take losses. The key to this scenario is to be cautious, if you go to early/too far you will get caught badly by heavy tanks and take big losses. The IS1's and heavy anti tank units are a more than a match for your tigers. You dont at all need to go for any of the secondary hexes in the norteast corner. When taking the northernmost VH you need plenty of tanks standing by and also you need to have your defences on the right strips preprepared as the biggest counterattack is triggered then. You may want prolong the scenario for the generous 200 prestige - I had a weak infantry (aux units) standing by after I cleared the areas but did not take the VH's untill the last turn. I will keep su122 for the time being although I already have 3. If I was desperate for prestige I would disband it for prestige as it is unlikely to gain multilple heroes now, too late in the grand campaign.
Core activity: Disband KV85 (newly aquired/least experienced one, I still have another more experienced on the roster). Minor upgrade to panthers. Minor repairs and reoverstrengthening. Free repairs to pre-heroed 109, then upgrade to 190a (expensive out of family upgrade). The heroes on this are quite good so it is worth giving it the experience/training it up otherwise - you could just wait untill the me262's come into play in another 6 months where you will be converting it in another out of family expensive upgrade again - saving yourself 586. I would rather use it now.
Deployed: softcap = 39% grenadier, M+3, panther, 4x tiger, SE panther, 6x SE tiger, recon, stug3G, 2x 17cm, stug3B, x wurf, 4x sig38, su122, 88mm. Air; 7xF, 3x TB.
Destroyed: 36,39,1,9,13,10,0,11,7,0. Total = 129
Comments: As expected. If I did it again I would be tempted to deploy recon rudel. Scenario gain = 1866 + capturable
Attachments
replay(05.05.2018) JassyKishinev, Turn 18.rar
(64.22 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:25 am

goose_2; do you know if anyone has done/got a replay or an english language video of the strachwitz offensive?.

goose_2

Post by goose_2 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:47 pm

hugh2711 wrote:goose_2; do you know if anyone has done/got a replay or an english language video of the strachwitz offensive?.
Not that I am aware of, definitely nothing online in English or non modded version of 45 Campaign at all.
goose_2

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:27 pm

3.S) Poltava [DV] Prestige = 129521 [5 capturables]
Strategy: A surprisingly easy scenario. Not as bad as it looks beforehand. A medium map. No fighters or tactical bombers to contend with but you cant deploy any planes. I will deploy
some of my AA to give them more kills. You are given a few aux bridge engineers and recon. All you do is carefully sneak over the rivers to get the capturables and VH's. The trick to this
one is to NOT go after uneccessary hexes of targets. That way most of the big tanks will just leave you alone. The enemy strategic bombers get triggered halfway through OR after you have taken one of the capturables hexes so the other part of the trick is be prepared, I will just clear the area and leave a redundant bridge engineer or recon next to the armoury and subequently take it when I am ready.
Core activity: Minor repairs and reoverstrengthening.
Deployed: I did a staggered deployment but softcap = 57% approx. It would have been easy to deply less units and get more hex prestige but I want to rack up kills for some units, particularly my AA. You deploy in one big lump to all go over the single bridge enginner crossing, that way gives the least opposition. Bridge engineer, grenadier, M+3, panther, 5X tiger, SE panther, 6X SE panther, recon, 3X wurf, 2X sig38, 2X su122, 2X 88MM, MobileAA.
Destroyed: 18, 12,0,9,8,9,0,0,0,6. Total = 62
Comments: So that was all about getting the capturables for disbanding prestige, I am sure with more familiary with the scenario it would be possible to get more by deploying less units and also by working out a few more hexes that can be taken. Although the scenario only 'earnt' 771 in prestige IFF I disbanded the 5 AA captured I would get an additional 1669 which is quite considerable making that scenario quite profitable (2440) and this was with no or negigeble losses. I will take the opportunity to rationalise my AA units but because I have quite a strong air force I dont actually need lots of AA. Also none of them have racked up any kills or heroes so although on paper some of them are better than my current AA units I doubt if they will perform better than what I have now. Also the overstregthed 12.8 flak is very nice but the 12cm's cant switch to anti-tank which is why I never obtain them. At the end rather than finish early I deliberately kept that one bomber alive to use as target practice over its airfield for two of my AA units, very good for my kills stats. Next time i would consider deploying recon rudel.
Attachments
replay(08.05.2018) Poltava, Turn 26.rar
(62.23 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 am

4.S) Mogilev [DV] Prestige = 130292 [capturable jadtiger + 300 prestige per turn + enemy goes first]
Core activity: Lots of upgrades. 190a's ugrade to 190-d9. Although there is less ammo and feul the 2 increase in attack at minimal cost is worth it. Me 410a ugrade to FW190g the increase in attack and defence is worth it even though it is an expensive out of family upgrade. Notice I bypassed the not worth it 190f upgrade. I have not upgraded recon rudel as you would lose one in spotting. All tigers to king tigers. My main tanks are now ruinously expensive (just under 1K each) so it is just as well they are invincible (except to air). This is an out of family
upgrade. This also means that the softcap is completely blown out of the water and often I will probably get the stautary minimum 20%. This has sacrificed one movement but it is worth it as you will see in this scenario and I have alot of M+1 heroes on them anyway. Panther minor upgrade, I possibly should just put them straight to king tigers but I like the though of having a decent movement 7 tank (they both have movement heroes). I will see how long I can do witout changing them. As long as they can stand up to an IS1 they should be OK.
Strategy: Small map, good terrain mostly. There are a few waves of strong air attack. They will go for the centre mogilev position. The enemy has alot of mobile AA, I expect most losses to come from there. Stick a KT on the river crossing north and south forming a killing field until they run out of units. They will keep trying to get over and be destroyed. Near the south crossing have a bridge engineer and a few spare tanks. Go over with the spare tanks and go into the side of the qeue waiting to go over the crossing. When they are finished go east (destroying any counter attacks) getting the capturable. then turn north and go for the two remaining VH's which are both well defended. There will of course be the customary big tank counter attacks. In the centre/mogilev keep a wall of tanks as defence backed up by arty and AA. Prolong the scenario right to the end to pick up the 300 per turn prestige. You are given some aux units which are useful to plug gaps in your town defence wall while you assemble. The enemy should pile up against your wall at mogilev so you should get some surrender prestige as well.
Deployed: Softcap = 30% approx. Grenadier, M+3, panther, 5x King Tiger, SE Panther, 6x SE King Tiger, recon, 2x 88mm, 2x 17cm, stug3B, stug4, sig38, 2x wurf, armoured train, 3x su122,
MobAA. Air; 5x F, 3x TB, 1x SB, recon rudel.
Destroyed: 62,49,2,16,29,18,0,7,10,8. Total = 199
Comments: As expected. My inexperienced SE panther seems a bit weak against some of the tanks now, nowhere near as good as the ordinary but heroed panther so I will convert it to king tiger. Most of my losses were from air activity. I spent alot upgrading before that scenario (about 18K) but the actual scenario was highly profitable; gain approx 2.6K + capturable worth 675. The captured jadtiger is good against tanks but nothing else, its movement is only 4. I will keep it on the roster for the time being untill I decide what to do with it. I dont think I will have time or opportunity to farm it up to hero status.
Attachments
replay(09.05.2018) Mogilev, Turn 20.rar
(62.89 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:10 pm

5.S) Babruysk [DV] Prestige = 114982 [enemy goes first + 200 prestige per turn]
Strategy: Small map, alot of close terrain specially in the north, more open terrain in the south. It is possible to take out a few of the (enormous amount of) enemy air units by good prepositioning of your air and AA units. In the north leave a couple of infantry in the close terrain so you can keep an eye on the VH's there, eventually the enemy will send some units there. Hold the river crossings. Form a line of tough infantry in the town of babruysk and use it as a killing field to massacre enemy units. In the south deploy most of your tanks. Defeat the initial attack then clear west of the berezina river. Later go out and clear east of the river retaking the last VH. At the same time retake the VH's in the north bad terrain. The most difficult thing about this scenario is that there are so many enemy air units that at least for the first half you have to have constant air cover and are fending off air attacks.
Core activity: Convert SE panther to king tiger. Minor repairs and reoverstrengthen. Converted D+2 berbirjager to grenadier in the hope of using and getting the second hero. Upgraded my two heroed 88mm's to 12.8cm for a very small amount. I dont think I am going to be using them as AT in future so since it was very cheap and I can always downgrade them for free I converted for the increased attack.
Deployed: Softcap = 29% NB the softcap acts pro rata on the turnly income as well so instead of getting 200 per turn, in practice in this one I am getting about 60!. 4x grenadier, M+3, pionere, panther, 3x KT, 7x SE KT, stug3G, 2x 17cm, stug3B, stug4, wurf, sig38, 3x 12.8cm flak, 1x wirbelwind, Sdkfz7/1. Air; 8x F, 3x TB, 1x SB, recon rudel.
Destroyed: 30,39,2,15,14,10,0,14,6,4. Total = 134
Comments: If I were to do it again , I would deploy one or two less AA and instead have one more infantry to rotate the front line in the town and also one more artilliary, possibly another wurfrahmen. It would have taken slightly longer to clear all the enemy air units but most of my losses were from air attack anyway. After this I will now rationalise my air units and get rid of the excess ones I aquired at poltava. I would also have not deployed my pionere and deployed some other tough infantry instead. Although it is well heroed I found it surprisingly deficient i.e. wanting to take a point loss occasionally against heavy tanks when others wouldnt. Possibly something to do with the low initiative?.
Attachments
replay(09.05.2018) Babruysk, Turn 20.rar
(62.81 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 am

6.S) Minsk [DV] Prestige = 115352 [capturable tank + 150 per turn]
Core activity: Rationalise AA. Repair a couple of fighters and reoverstrengthen units. Bought and deployed a new recon.
Strategy:a small map with alot of enemy air units, an enormous wave at the beginning then regular smaller attacks. Because it is a small map you are exposed and visible most of the time so enemy mobile and static AA makes it expensive on your air and difficult to defend to air attack. The 'trick'; to get the capturable and also the two furthest southeast VH's is it is better to keep them rather than let them be taken and retake them. So get three king tigers with the best movement. Get them in a ring defending the penultimate southernmost VH, with their extra movement they should be there by the end of the second turn before the enemy. This position will also create a killing field in the airfield in front of them which is also the furthest VH so the enemy cant resist moving there. You will quite soon need another tank to rotate the tanks in that position as they run out of ammo because they are killing so many units. Using the north minsk fortified positions H's. Just going near the last one will trigger another big tank attack however arrange it so that you are in the right position with the right number of units and then the tanks will just throw themselves across the river where you can easily eliminate them. In the centre there are some infantry units in the ease in rough terrain that you need to get rid of then you need tanks to deal with an attack and various units in that plain to the river. That area needs to be cleared of that come over from behind the river. The key to this is to take your time in the central area and not rush north untill you have controll of that central plain.
Deployed: Softcap = 26%. I deployed one less slot than allotted, I left it free for a bridge engineer in case I needed one then forgot about it. Grenadier, Para, M+3, P, 5x KT, 7x SE KT, 2x recon, stug3G, 3x wurf, stug4, sig38, 3x su122, 2x12.8cm, sdkfz7/1, wirbelwind. Air; 6xF, 3x TB, 1x SB, recon rudel.
Destroyed: 48,36,2,9,15,10,0,12,6,4. Total = 142
Comments: Most of my losses were from air attack on tanks which I was unable to defend because of AA proximity. The KV85 is surplus so I will disband it. It is worth 605. I nearly lost my long suffering recon because of carelessness. There is a great temptation just blindly go forward with your super strong tigers here but that would be the mistake instad of taking your time and going forward carefully. I may rationalise my AA further as although the wirbelwind at strength 14 is nice, it is an expensive luxury.
Attachments
replay(10.05.2018) Minsk44, Turn 20.rar
(65.74 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Tue May 29, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 am

7.S) Vilna [DV] Prestige = 16320 [+100 prestige per turn + enemy goes first]
Core activity: Repair recon. Reoverstrengthen tanks.
Strategy: I dont know of any tricks for this one. However it is a very long scenario; 30 turns so of course prolong it if neccessary for the prestige. It is a large map, very spread out north to south and you get attacked all along it. Alot of rough terrain, clearer terrain in the south. Alot of air units and some mobile air units. Lots of big tank attacks and counter attacks. In the north I hope to get them as they cross rivers. In the centre I hope to hold vilna - that should be quite easy. In the south I have no idea what to expect.
Deployed: softcap = 32%! 4xgrenadier, para, M+3, panther, 5x KT, 7x SE KT, 2x recon, stug4, 17cm, 3x wurf, 3x su122, 12.8cm, sdkfz 7/1. Air; 6x F, 3x TB, recon rudel. After losing a recon I deployed my heinkel.
Destroyed: 71,50,0,44,12,10,0,14,4,4. Total = 209
Comments: A difficult scenario because of the sheer number of units coming at you. I lost a recon, otherwise most of my losses came from air attacks. if doing it again I would take some units from the centre/vilna and reinforce the south. The spawning of IS2's at the end was tricky. So basically there were two large tank attacks at all three positions. I had enough time after they were dealt with to go after the remaining VH's. The last one (south east) was heavily defended. The enemy airforce is very persistent for the first half. This was a very profitable scenario (next one starts with 117788) despite my low softcap.
Attachments
replay(29.05.2018) Vilna, Turn 30.rar
(74.13 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Tue May 29, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

goose_2

Post by goose_2 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:45 pm

hugh2711 wrote:7.S) Vilna [DV] Prestige = 16320 [+100 prestige per turn + enemy goes first]
Core activity: Repair recon. Reoverstrengthen tanks.
Strategy: I dont know of any tricks for this one. However it is a very long scenario; 30 turns so of course prolong it if neccessary for the prestige. It is a large map, very spread out north to south and you get attacked all along it. Alot of rough terrain, clearer terrain in the south. Alot of air units and some mobile air units. Lots of big tank attacks and counter attacks. In the north I hope to get them as they cross rivers. In the centre I hope to hold vilna - that should be quite easy. In the south I have no idea what to expect.
Deployed: softcap = 32%
Destroyed: 71,50,0,44,12,10,0,14,4,4. Total = 209
Comments: A difficult scenario because of the sheer number of units coming at youI lost a recon, otherwise most of my losses came from air attacks. if doing it again I would take some units from the centre/vilna and reinforce the south. The spawning of IS2's at the end was tricky. So basically there were two large tank attacks at all three positions. I had enough time after they were dealt with to go after the remaining VH's. The last one (south east) was heavily defended. This was a very profitable scenario (next one starts with 17788).
You appear to be missing a one in your prestige counter.

If you are not missing a 1 than be careful going so strongly with the softcap and overstrengthening.

I played Minsk 44 this weekend on my Manstein playthrough.
I was sure I was going to get Decisive, but then that unexpected 3rd Wave hit just a couple of rounds after seeing and clearing the 2nd Wave.

Just brutal battle, but pleased with what I was able to destroy and capture.

I think I will need to get used to many Marginal's from here on out, at least Vilna appears that way for sure.
goose_2

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks goose_2, well spotted.

I think minsk44 was definately harder than vilna (even though the vilna 209 units destroyed is alot more than the minsk 149). I suppose the key, if any, to vilna is catching the northern attacks on the rivers. The second northern attack comes after you get near the northeast VH. The enemy air force is pretty persistent at the beginning. They dont fade away untill about half way through.

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:59 pm

8.S) Warsaw Uprising [DV] Prestige = 117788 [enemy goes first]
core activity: Minor reoverstrengthening. Repaired one TB and one fighter.
Strategy: No tricks, just a standard urban enviroment so advance in a line backed up with LOTS of artilliary. Initially use the outer fortifications and a few turns in a bridge engineer to go over the other side of the river starting from the north.
Deployed: Softcap at 61% --- 4x grenadier, 2x para, M+3, 2x gebir, pionere, panther, 2x KT, 7x SE KT, stug4, 2x 17cm, stug3b, 4x wurf, sig38, 3x su122, sdkfz 7/1. Air; 4x F, 3x TB, 1x SB, recon rudel. Notice the softcap is alot higher than it has been recently. This is because I have deployed fewer king tigers than usual. They may be invincible but they hammer the softcap.
Destroyed: 67,7,6,16,0,5,10,6,3,5. Total = 125
Comments: Nearly lost my recon rudel. Lost some points due to the "few" american air units. If I did it again I would probably lose the two ordinary king tigers and have another infantry and arty instead, or possibly one more fighter/AA. I might also convert at least one of those gerbirjagers to grenadiers. Due to less king tigers this was a very profitable scenario.
Attachments
replay(30.05.2018) Warsaw Uprising, Turn 21.rar
(66.45 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:25 pm

9.S) Return to jassy kishinev [MV] Prestige = 120100 [ +200 prestige per turn]
Core activity: Minor reoverstrengthen a couple of tanks. Repair 17cm with experienced. Repair recon rudel with free replacements.
Strategy: This is a very large map. I think this one is a prestige killer, overwhelming soviet attacks at the front and a large army behind you. Again I dont know of any tricks for this one. I will just try to slow down the juggernaut while sending a few units south to clear out behind the lines. I will have to include a king tiger south as there is at least one tiger unit behind me. I will try to catch as many as possible on the rivers. Also I will try to set up some killing fields on plain hexes in front of tigers next to bottlenecks in the terrain. you are given some aux infantry units but they dont last long.
Deployed: Softcap at 34%. Staggered deployment. 2x grenadier, para, M+3, pionere, panther, 5x T, kv85, 7x KT, recon, stug3g, jadtiger, 2x 17cm, 4x wurf, stug4, sig38, su122, 88mm, 12.8cm, mobileAA, wirbelwind. Air; 5x F, 3x TH 1x SB.
Destroyed: 67,44,7,31,21,13,0,14,4,6. Total = 207
Comments: This is a difficult scenario because of the volume of attacking units. There were three waves of air attack. I lost a few points each time. Overall the scenario was quite profitable although I took most losses on my airforce. I made the mistake of only looking at the DV conditions just before the end (RTFQ!!! moi :-) so left it a bit late to get a DV and also I rushed it at the end but a DV is quite doable with better timing. What I should have done is as soon as the first wave of attacks were dissapated I should have sent the extra units down south and not bothered with as much exploration above the VH line. Then it would be straigthforward. Also I dislike it so much i have no intention of doing it again, properly, just because I was rubbish. I was dissapointed with my jadtiger even taking account of its inexperience, I am actually wondering wether it is worth keeping at all.
Attachments
replay(02.06.2018) Return to Kishinev, Turn 22.rar
(71.5 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:09 pm

10) Budapest 44 Prestige = 122139 [DV] [ +200 prestige per turn + enemy goes first]
Core activity: Repair fighters. (free) repair kv85. Convert all fighters to me 262's. This is the last big batch upgrade of the campaign so I can be freer spending prestige after this. Repair flak unit. I am also going to convert my r+1 mobile AA to a wirbelwind. The reason being purely for the higher defence stats. If I were desperately short of prestige I might not do it as it is an expensive out of family upgrade. The wirbelwind has the same rate of fire as the sdkfz7/1, the high rate of fire being the reason I have not upgraded the sdkfz7/1 for a long time.
Strategy: Another difficult scenario, just boring mass attacks in the north, center and south. The whole map has alot of bad terrain, the north particularly. Center is a large town and the south mixed terrrain. There are a few waves of air activity, a very large one at the beginning. The weather starts bad and changes during the game. A large river runs through the map including the large town (budapest) and some of the VH's are forward of this river which is impassable when unfrozen. The plan is defend the city in the centre with ordinary defence using the ring of outside fortifications and attack in the north and south. There are alot of aux units which will be useful particularly in the town, the rest will be wiped out quickly. Once the weather turns from frozen the nature of the game changes immediately and you can have problems with units in the wrong places etc.
Deployed: Softcap = 20%. 4x grenadier, para, M+3, gerbirjager, pionere, panther, 5x KT, 7X SE KT, stug4, stug3b, 2x 17cm, wurf, sig38, 3x su122, 12.8cm flak, wirbelwind, Air; 8x F, 3x TB, 1x SB
Destroyed: 53,45,5,19,4,7,0,18,4,3. Total = 158
Comments:That could be done alot better, alot of my losses were from air attacks. It should have been possible to create some killing fields and traps in the north and get rid of them alot quicker. The changing weather makes this one harder. Next scenario starts with 113546 so this was still a profitable scenario.
Attachments
replay(07.06.2018) Budapest44, Turn 20.rar
(67.9 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 pm

For anyone who wants the GC44east endcore;
Attachments
endGC44east(07.06.2018) Budapest44, Turn 20.rar
(67.89 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”