Tournament game Rush to Moscow: Gwaylare(Axis) vs Lifever(Allies)

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Tournament game Rush to Moscow: Gwaylare(Axis) vs Lifever(Allies)

Post by PeteMitchell »

Gwaylare wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 pm
goose_2 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm The replay, which this is from has the fog of war on for the side that he is watching at the moment so that screen shot with all of Russian units you will see that the German sides are missing outside the fog of war
To my surprise both replays have the fog of war on german side. I did expect to see all the units my opponent did move over the map.
It would be great to have the possibilty to turn on and off fog of war within a replay.
Thanks both, I am not sure I understand as I haven't really used these replays yet (with Battlefield Europe the replays becomes huge, at least my machine stopped working when trying, so I never looked into them any further).

Gwaylare played Axis but during the replay he can see the Allied side?
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Gwaylare »

The replay is part of the game and you can download it at the end. Those files are more like scripts were all the moves are recorded. It is not like a video. You can view some stats of all the (visible) units and combats. But I do not know how to turn off or switch fog of war. And I do not know why both replays use the allied perspective.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Gwaylare wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:07 pm The replay is part of the game and you can download it at the end. Those files are more like scripts were all the moves are recorded. It is not like a video. You can view some stats of all the (visible) units and combats. But I do not know how to turn off or switch fog of war. And I do not know why both replays use the allied perspective.
Thanks, interesting. I will give it a try with a normal match then...
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 pm Thanks, interesting. I will give it a try with a normal match then...
This may be the point here Pete, I think the replay is designed for the single player campaign. So you will get the perspective of the KI moves. That would make some sense.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Gwaylare wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:07 pm
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 pm Thanks, interesting. I will give it a try with a normal match then...
This may be the point here Pete, I think the replay is designed for the single player campaign. So you will get the perspective of the KI moves. That would make some sense.
Could be, not sure? This would be interesting to understand better, i.e. if anyone knows for sure?
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

Turn 4 was not really exciting. Allied pulled back there SU defence to be save and germans did some cleanup work with all the units which are not fast enough to run.
Turn4North.jpg
Turn4North.jpg (452.21 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
In the center you should have a look at Lifevers style of dynamic defence. Stay moving insteed of just holding position.
Turn4DynamicDefence1.jpg
Turn4DynamicDefence1.jpg (310.93 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
Turn4Center.jpg
Turn4Center.jpg (856.91 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

In the South allies do not stand and fight giving the chance to advance quite fast.
Turn4South.jpg
Turn4South.jpg (199.95 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Turn 4 Casualties:
Turn4Casualties.jpg
Turn4Casualties.jpg (107.73 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

As in the other game turn 5 was not very interessting. Because of allied retreat on all fronts there was just some cleaning up.
Turn5North.jpg
Turn5North.jpg (391.62 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Turn5Center.jpg
Turn5Center.jpg (767.56 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Turn5South.jpg
Turn5South.jpg (331.02 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

Strategic map turn 5 (soviet turn):
Turn5StrategicMap.jpg
Turn5StrategicMap.jpg (442.13 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
This time I do have a screenshot I took during the game. Here you can see the concentration of troops in the center of the map. But will take some more time till the clash together.
turn 5 (axis turn)
Turn5StrategicMap2.jpg
Turn5StrategicMap2.jpg (372.37 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Despite some efforts to delay the Axis advance, given were you stand at turn 5 of 22, I have the impression you both play relatively fast (maybe also due to the structured withdrawals of the Allies).
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

Sure this was a race to victory and I did push germans as hard as possibile to advance fast, taking a lot of risks. So the challenge here was not the map itself, but the moving frontline in the other paired game. So we had discussed about this map before we start and a lot of players stated that this map is to straight forward and boring. Sure it is, if you advance slow and secure. But going as fast as possible and sometimes too fast, is a different challenge. The interessting part of the map here is your opponent.
At end of turn 5 my advance was delayed already, because of the center SU defence. So my plan was to reach Moscow in turn 7 or 8 and prepare for the final attack. So I was about one turn late. The comparison with Lifever seems not bad up to now, we are having almost the same speed up to turn 5. But my strategy to sacrifice partisans behind the line to slow down germans is quite expensive and the fact Lifever fields one more german unit because of the lost non core artillery gives a light advantage to him at the end of turn 5.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Gwaylare wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:12 am Sure this was a race to victory and I did push germans as hard as possibile to advance fast, taking a lot of risks. So the challenge here was not the map itself, but the moving frontline in the other paired game. So we had discussed about this map before we start and a lot of players stated that this map is to straight forward and boring. Sure it is, if you advance slow and secure. But going as fast as possible and sometimes too fast, is a different challenge. The interessting part of the map here is your opponent.
At end of turn 5 my advance was delayed already, because of the center SU defence. So my plan was to reach Moscow in turn 7 or 8 and prepare for the final attack. So I was about one turn late. The comparison with Lifever seems not bad up to now, we are having almost the same speed up to turn 5. But my strategy to sacrifice partisans behind the line to slow down germans is quite expensive and the fact Lifever fields one more german unit because of the lost non core artillery gives a light advantage to him at the end of turn 5.
I was thinking the same thing as my buddy Pete that this looks pretty similar, I see that Lifever is doing slightly better with the amount of forces he yields in the back ground which is going to come huge as this proceeds to the 2nd phase, and drastically when it gets to that 3rd final phase.

This is great, great stuff.
Thanks so much for posting
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

In the north did not manage to get the objective and suffered some losses to the infantry.
Turn6North.jpg
Turn6North.jpg (946.26 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
Down in the south my tanks managed to cross the river, supported by a Wurfrahmen.
Turn6South.jpg
Turn6South.jpg (255.42 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
But the better show we do have in the center now. Again I tried to attack one of the SUs:
Turn6Center1.jpg
Turn6Center1.jpg (400.85 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

The Kradschützen did not harm SU-5-2 a lot, but after pushing T-60 away another strike was possible. The attack to the AA was mostly harmless tanking 2 points of damage for dealing one, but with the tank I was able to block the way to retreat the SU-5-2.
Turn6Center2.jpg
Turn6Center2.jpg (414.29 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
But then the armoured train rushed in to surpress my tank. Just watch and learn from Lifever :)
Turn6Center3.jpg
Turn6Center3.jpg (510.04 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
After pushing down my Kradsschützen and then let my PIVE surrender with a simple T-60.
Turn6Center4.jpg
Turn6Center4.jpg (592.21 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

A little bit to the south another counter attack. My fame tank did survive but another PIIIG was killed with a lot of effort.
Turn6Center5.jpg
Turn6Center5.jpg (700.36 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
Here are casualties after turn 6:
Turn6Casualties.jpg
Turn6Casualties.jpg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

After seeing those damaged SU managed to run in turn 7 again I tried to attack a SU-5-2 after pushing away a T-60. Again my attack was not successfull and I did not manage to bring in a second tank to try again.
Turn7AttacktheSU.jpg
Turn7AttacktheSU.jpg (183.21 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
So the prey of this turn was just the T-60 in front of the SU-5-2.
Turn7CenterNorth.jpg
Turn7CenterNorth.jpg (366.33 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
In the south center I managed to free my flame tank and manged to buy two new tanks to stop the counterattack. Overall Lifever stopped my offensive in its tracks.
Turn7SavingFlametank.jpg
Turn7SavingFlametank.jpg (432.01 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

Then Lifever fall back to next defend position. While his first unit reached moscow in turn 7 I had to fight through hex by hex. At end of turn 7 it was obvious that I would not reach moscow in time. So goal was just to get moscow just a turn later then Lifever. The strategy of dynamic defence with the combination of self propelled artillery and AA.
Turn7NorthDefence.jpg
Turn7NorthDefence.jpg (355.74 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
Turn7CenterDefence.jpg
Turn7CenterDefence.jpg (449.99 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

When playing the Soviet side, both of you have invested most of your prestige in heavy equipment, is this true?
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

We both did not play a typical spam of conscripts. So you not call it heavy equipment, it is more or less quite cheap support equipment.
So Lifever bought 3 SU-5-2 and 2 SU-6 and I bought 3 SU-5-2 and a 85mm AA with half tracks.
The SU-5-2 does cost 190 prestige and the SU-6 183 prestige. The 85mm with half tracks has a price of 313 prestige and was not a good investment. So I think about half of the initial prestige was spent for support equipment.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Su-5-2 are wonderfully underrated self propelled 1 range arty that most people fail to utilize as they are to often attack oriented and fail to use the defensive strength of those great units.

Unfortunately Su-5-2's are very vulnerable to air attack and take damage unless they have aa back up, which makes the SU-6 alongside it a wise and mobil defensive force.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”