Africa Corps Double Rommel

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Africa Corps Double Rommel

Post by goose_2 »

Hey Hey my Peeps. ;)

So I am going to try and stay on top of these posts as they are uploaded, no guarantees, but I can at least get started with the first one.

Here are the parameters for this playthrough:
Double Rommel (25% Prestige for me 150% Prestige for ai)
Graziani Mode (Only Purchasing Italian Units.) I am using my initial German, awarded German, and Captured Equipment as my only German units used.
No unit spamming. (I am going to keep my units to no more than 2 of each kind.)

Let me know if you are interested in seeing the Historical end to the Campaign or the Victorious Path for the Campaign as I have plenty of time to decide between the 2.

So here is the first part of the first scenario.

Nice start to a fun ever changing battle as the mission objectives change 2 times during this battle. I love this part and all of the actual names of the Divisions and groups who fought in these battles.

Afrika Korps was an excellent add on to an already brilliant game.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Africa Corps Double Rommel

Post by PeteMitchell »

Oh great, this is nice!

As said, I am considering to play this (somehow) in parallel as well (but maybe not at double Rommel as it will be my first attempt again) and only once I am done with US Corps! ;)
goose_2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:06 pm Let me know if you are interested in seeing the Historical end to the Campaign or the Victorious Path for the Campaign as I have plenty of time to decide between the 2.
I had a look at the campaign tree as well, why don’t you just play both?

AK.jpg
AK.jpg (428.03 KiB) Viewed 5538 times
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
goose_2

Africa Corps Double Rommel #1 Reconnaissance in Force End

Post by goose_2 »

Here is the end of the scenario as Tobruk is too big a fish to fry our mission objectives change yet again. And we are tasked with a surround and isolate Tobruk kind of thing, which we gladly do with little left in remaining damage to our units. Thankfully a great start to this new Campaign.

Enjoy:

Ras el Mdauuar is next
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Very nice!

I will start playing this in memory of a neighbor I used to have for quite some time. He was with Kradschützen in Africa and got captured in early 43. He was sent to a POW camp in the UK for some weeks but then spent the rest of the war in a camp in Texas.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:20 pm Very nice!

I will start playing this in memory of a neighbor I used to have for quite some time. He was with Kradschützen in Africa and got captured in early 43. He was sent to a POW camp in the UK for some weeks but then spent the rest of the war in a camp in Texas.
Very cool, thanks for sharing...so if I am following this neighbor started as a prisoner here in America, but ended up staying after the war. Right?
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing...so if I am following this neighbor started as a prisoner here in America, but ended up staying after the war. Right?
Not exactly, so he was German, served under Rommel and was captured by US troops in Tunisia early 43. Apparently for logistical reasons he was first sent to the UK and then to a permanent POW camp in Texas. He was released and returned to Germany in 46. He used to be my neighbor (in Germany) in the 80s and early 90s and passed away some 15 years ago...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:13 pm
goose_2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Not exactly, so he was German, served under Rommel and was captured by US troops in Tunisia early 43. Apparently for logistical reasons he was first sent to the UK and then to a permanent POW camp in Texas. He was released and returned to Germany in 46. He used to be my neighbor (in Germany) in the 80s and early 90s and passed away some 15 years ago...

Oh you are German? I always thought you were American, my mistake. ;)
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:18 pm Oh you are German? I always thought you were American, my mistake.
Yep, no worries... but I have spent quite some time abroad as well... :lol:
goose_2

#2 Ras El Mdauur Completed

Post by goose_2 »

Just like I promised.

I am staying on top of these posts. (I am hoping to hear from hurly soon as he loves Afrika Korps)

Here is my latest mission.

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #2 Ras el Mdauuar Start

I highly recommend watching these next 2 Episodes as this was a highly successful way to play this scenario and come out with high prestige and high experience. (I will need that going forward.)

Enjoy and let me know what you think of this new Campaign, and any suggestions on any new purchases as I am looking for advice on that front.

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #2 Ras el Mdauuar End

So this is the 2nd Mission of an ambitious new Campaign. You want to see Daddy tackle Afrika Korps, I am going to try it again, this time it is not blind so I am handicapping myself with 25% prestige. Should be nice and tight. The way I like it. :D

I start this episode unsure I can consolidate my forces to seize the final Objective, but my ability to pull things together should not be doubted. Watch how I pull this off.

I am at #4 Battleaxe, unsure if I should buy anything, weighing my options before I move forward. Any thoughts welcome.
goose_2

hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: #2 Ras El Mdauur Completed

Post by hurly »

goose_2 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:51 pm

I am staying on top of these posts. (I am hoping to hear from hurly soon as he loves Afrika Korps)

Well Old Friend your hope to hear From me will Not be hopeless.

Ok on the other side I have Bad News for your obviously Non Stop Drive to Conquer the whole World. Just Not in a 2 Front War, your Never quenched Thirst for Warmongering culminates in an Schizoid 3 or probably soon 4 Front War that takes All Actions and Counteractions From all Kind of Allied, Axis, Italian and what Not Forces in a unprecedented Campaign against ehm probably yourself. Besides taking Care of a Regular Job a huge Family in Double Digit Numbers und Part Time praying at the Church. Is there also some Time to eat and sleep in between ?

Im Not such a Talented Multitasking Performer so I concentrate on the few unimportant Things in Life, like Fighting Climate Change and other Things you don't think are existing as we speak.

I'm very busy right Now doing this, so sorry I just can't find a lot of spare Time smashing Virtual Armies.

Nonetheless I have some Archived Advice for your Afrika Quest.
You are Playing on Rommel Difficulty with half the Amount of Prestige ? Right. And you want to do it according to the Italian Challenge Rules, with all Stuff you get Awarded along your ways, but only purchases From the Italian Stock.

Mm i can Not Crunch the Numbers how hard the Low Prestige will bite especially Early on and what Kind of Units you can afford and when, but if you Need Ideas which Italian Stuff has enough Punch to Go all the way you wanna look here

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 14#p643014

These linked Replays of the Aftermath are I Think in Regular Rommel Rules and without your seif imposed only 2 Units of a kind Rule
Ground Rules

German Units are not allowed and sold off during the next Deployment Phase so at least the Prestige is not lost
Only Exception are Scenarios where German Units are awarded during the Scenario then they participate til the End of said Scenario (eg Dash to the Wire and the First Scenario as you can not sell the German Units in a Deployment Phase there)
Awarded SE Units are sold off immediately, so basically it's not only Italian Units and Allied Captured Units it's also being short of up to 5 SE Unit Slots
Captured Allied Stuff can stay around, but not upgraded as they would become German Units then
(so the Crusader Tank remains what it is, just like the Grant, the Matilda, the Churchill, the Spitfire and the Firefly)
I can buy additional but only from the Italian Weapons Stack
Still I Think the Difficulty is comparable even with the need of a Bit of Adjusting.
At least it might give you Ideas, what is a worthy Addition and what Not.

Just From the Top of my Head I would have given you the Advice to get 1 or even 2 (even if it takes a disband of lesser Units) of These Italian 90mm AA Guns (the medium ones probably Work also if Prestige is Really tight)
They are made for that Ras'al'secondo'scenario as they are Bunker Busting Matilda Eating Units and Backed by Arty they don't even have to move faster than one hex coming from the South. So you can save the cost for a truck now and add it later on

Mute Point as you are already at Battleaxe which is Scenario 4.
Anyway without looking Into Details. If you don't want to gamble on the appearance of German SE Fighters (you get 1 in Dash to the Wire if you destroy the depots) the AA Guns will be a key on your quest. So get 1 better 2 as soon as possible and make sure they collect experience. They are Slow in their growth and Slow in Combat Mode, but they are Winners for you and your Regio Aeronautica
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Interesting thoughts hurly! Well, I think I will have to cut down on the time spent with PzC and on this forum as well, mainly due to some unforeseen personal developments that have evolved over the last few days as well…
goose_2

Afrika Korps: #3 Brevity Completed

Post by goose_2 »

hurly wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:33 am

Mute Point as you are already at Battleaxe which is Scenario 4.
Anyway without looking Into Details. If you don't want to gamble on the appearance of German SE Fighters (you get 1 in Dash to the Wire if you destroy the depots) the AA Guns will be a key on your quest. So get 1 better 2 as soon as possible and make sure they collect experience. They are Slow in their growth and Slow in Combat Mode, but they are Winners for you and your Regio Aeronautica
Thanks for the insight and so good to hear from you again hurly. Based on your sound advice and reviewing some older posts and previous playthrough, I think that 1 Italian 88 and 1 Tac Bomber makes sense at this point. Really hoping for an SE Fighter as never got one last time and Italian Fighter's sans Stormo are just not worth the effort.
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:11 am Interesting thoughts hurly! Well, I think I will have to cut down on the time spent with PzC and on this forum as well, mainly due to some unforeseen personal developments that have evolved over the last few days as well…
I understand the need to step away as we have been approved for some ot here at work but still able to check in from time to time.

As such going to post latest playthrough.

Afrika Korps: #3 Brevity Start

This first post went so my way as I layout my army and fully exploit every misstep by the enemy with narry much of a scratch on many of my units. It is the ending that had me absolutely giddy.
(I hope to be able to continue this kind of play style as it really helps at this difficulty level.) The 3 S's are something to live by.

Afrika Korps: #3 Brevity End

This part is not as clean as the first, but still very pleased with what kind of experience and prestige earned by the end. 2 units got really chewed up and 2 others got some serious damage, but overalkl she is a keeper. ;)

I have yet to play Battle Axe, so please share any thoughts you might have either here or on my videos.

Thanks for the continued interest and constant feedback, it makes this a joy. :mrgreen:
goose_2

goose_2

Africa Corps #4 BattleAxe Start

Post by goose_2 »

Do you ever get the feeling of Deja Vu?

That is this mission. So very similar to Brevity, that you will swear you need to fight it the same. But don't, this is more intense, and the diversionary group that comes in the middle can be a little daunting.

Africa Corps #4 BattleAxe Start

Here is the first half of this playthrough. A bit longer than my normal post, but well worth it. I get way too excited about catching units in trucks, but do not put yourself into vulnerable positions that the enemy will exploit on their turn. Use force surrenders as much as possible, and have fun, because it gets more difficult after this mission, or so I remember.

Hoping to post the conclusion later tonight.
goose_2

goose_2

Africa Corps #4 BattleAxe End

Post by goose_2 »

After a rocky beginning, I clean it up for the end.

Africa Corps #4 BattleAxe End

I minimize all remaining losses and maximize, as much as possible the gains in the finale of this playthrough.

Overall pleased with the progress of many of my units as several already have 2 stars of experience and are about to get a hero.

In fact you will see many heroes awarded in the next mission, Dash to the Wire.

I finished that scenario and hope to get the 3 parts posted this weekend, but may have to wait for the 3rd part posting at the first part of next week.

(Hope you can catch the Braccada liveplay that will happen this weekend as we wrap up The Low Countries.)
goose_2

goose_2

Africa Corps #5 Dash to the Wire Start and Middle

Post by goose_2 »

I have the first 2 posted and should have 3rd up by the middle of the week. ( I do not want to post too quick as I have not even conceived of when I can wrap my mind around the 2nd Offensive.)

Afrika Korps #5 Dash to the Wire Start

So this is the 5th Mission of an ambitious new Campaign. You want to see Daddy tackle Afrika Korps, I am going to try it again, this time it is not blind so I am handicapping myself with 25% prestige. Should be nice and tight. The way I like it. :D

Ok, I was awarded an SE Tank, I was hoping for a Fighter, but at this point I need all of the units I can get. :?

This is the absolute best way I can think of to start this battle, many force surrenders and much destruction, for very little damage on my units. The pressure they put on Bardia and Sollum is overwhelming, but I am holding for now. (I need to get my forces over to help, but first need to eliminate their central forward units.)

Afrika Korps #5 Dash to the Wire Middle

I am working hard at finding and eliminating those Secret Southern Hangers so I can get the bonus units, but it is tricky.
The Center is now mine, it is time to Dash to the Wire. That is where I begin to find it difficult as Solum and Bardia become very difficult to hold. By the end of it though I am pleased with our progress. How far will we be able to go and how much will I end up taking over? Watch and find out.

I hope you are enjoying and appreciate all of the feedback and subscribers. 56 as of today. :D
goose_2

goose_2

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #5 Dash to the Wire Days Finish

Post by goose_2 »

hurly wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:06 am Must be something picked up from your current Prez. Repeat the same nonsense over and over again and sooner or later no one realizes anymore it was a nonsense Idea From the Beginning
Somehow it comes all back to politics...I love it.

Seriously hurly, thanks for your detailed context on your previous playthrough, that helped me a lot going into 2nd Offensive. I am very pleased with what happened on that scenario, but I got a little too aggressive in that playthrough and unfortunately it cost me. (I will let you watch and see what happens)

Gazala, is something I am now preparing for and unfortunately I am really feeling the bite of the 25% Prestige. I had plans, scrapped them, redone a new layout, did not have enough money scrapped again, and now have a force I am hoping to be able to start out with, but I want to make sure that the layout is the smartest before I start executing.

Either way dog, here is the finish to Dash to the Wire.

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #5 Dash to the Wire Days Finish

This is dirty no two ways about it. I want to take it all but Tobruk itself, but find myself stretched to thin. Will I be able to get all of the SE units and bonus units? Will I lose my first core unit?

Watch and find out.

Thanks by the way for all the likes and comments I have been getting, greatly appreciated. (Now I need more subscribers.) :oops:
goose_2

goose_2

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #6 Second Offensive Start

Post by goose_2 »

Here is the start to the next Scenario:

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #6 Second Offensive Start

I love how I start this mission with an idea of how I want to handle the mission, but as the scenario plays out, I change on the fly. I just cannot resist those incredibly vulnerable units coming at me in stupid fashion. It ends up costing me in the end, but I just can't help myself. :oops: :P :lol:

Stormo's performance upsets me the most for the beginning, but he ends up redeeming himself, not in this post, but later on.
Stay Tuned as the Middle will be posted later today.

Thanks again for all of the interest in my playthroughs.
goose_2

goose_2

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #6 Second Offensive Middle

Post by goose_2 »

Here is the Middle:

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #6 Second Offensive Middle

Days 6-12

Here is a mixed bag on my playthrough, I take some damage, and actually lose a unit because I get too aggressive, but am super pleased with the heroes I am awarded.

So overall pleased with where this playthrough is going.

I forgot how much fun Afrika Korps is, if you have not played, you should really give it a try. You will not regret it.
goose_2

goose_2

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #6 Second Offensive End

Post by goose_2 »

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #6 Second Offensive End

Wrapping up is so easy to do at this point as you only need to avoid any more damage to your units. This is all the final preparations for the real battle in Gazala.

I have posted the 1st part of Gazala as of yesterday on my channel.

I am on Day 13 of my actual playthrough and please let me know any thoughts or feedback you may have on this amazing battle.

So far I am extremely pleased with how the battle is going, we shall see if I can finish strong.
goose_2

goose_2

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #7 Gazala (1st 12 days)

Post by goose_2 »

(I have yet to continue this playthrough as I am looking for feedback on what is going on, and what maybe I should do with the remainder of my units for this playthrough.)

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #7 Gazala Start

Afrika Korps #7 Gazala Start and first 4 days

So here it is. What you all have been waiting for, the start of one of the greatest missions in this playthrough. Gazala Line.

Here are the first 4 days, and I am still playing this scenario on turns 13, so share any thoughts on my layout, or strategy, because it is still being executed.

My goal is to consolidate and concentrate my Northern Force to take Gazala and move down slowly.

Use my Middle force to consolidate and concentrate around Sidi Muftah.

The main force is swinging South and attacking in a very similar attack pattern that the real Rommel used in this epic battle.

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #7 Gazala Days 5-8

Here are the next 4 days, and I am still waiting to continue this scenario on turn 13, so share any thoughts on my layout, or strategy, because it is still being executed.

Afrika Korps Double Rommel #7 Gazala Days 9-12

(Last chance to watch and give me feedback on my plan of action, because I will probably start this back up and record more not sure when as I am home sick.) I would love to hear feedback the plan so far.
goose_2

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”