Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Tech support for Panzer Corps

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Post Reply
smokeybear
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by smokeybear » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:42 am

Surely it's only a workaround if it works!

It doesn't!

Unlike others I feel sure the makers and Steam are trying to identify the faults.

Thank you chaps.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games
Posts: 2831
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Rudankort » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi guys!

Sorry we don't have good news to report yet. I've tried some new ideas again today, but nothing helped. We are trying to work with Steam developers to figure out how the interaction between the game and Steam client can cause such a slowdown, but this is an extremely slow process.

We understand that this issue is quite annoying and affects a lot of people, so we will continue to treat it with high priority.

Resolute
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Resolute » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:25 pm

Appreciate the update. I do have the same performance issues and I am still a bit puzzled what is causing this. I mean, there is pretty much no traffic between steam and the client apart from some keep-alive packets.
Apparently the non-steam version does not have the performace issues and from my perspective the only main difference between those two are the achievements and the play time being tracked.

hummel5
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:18 am

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by hummel5 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:06 pm

and being able to use Steam bought DLC, which kind of a big one.

HalfLifeExpert
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by HalfLifeExpert » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Rudankort wrote:Hi guys!

Sorry we don't have good news to report yet. I've tried some new ideas again today, but nothing helped. We are trying to work with Steam developers to figure out how the interaction between the game and Steam client can cause such a slowdown, but this is an extremely slow process.

We understand that this issue is quite annoying and affects a lot of people, so we will continue to treat it with high priority.


Good to know you guys are still working on it. I finally had the time to be able to play some PzC and started to noticed lag towards the end of Crimean Offensive in Soviet corps, I was losing so I quit anyway, but now I know for sure what is affecting everyone.

I don't have a non-steam copy of PzC, but from what I have read this does seem to be somehow steam related. I do not believe that this is related to 1.25, as this started happening about 2 weeks after 1.25 and Soviet Corps were released, in that time I had no issues what so ever.

enemy187dkhr
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by enemy187dkhr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Hello guys! I had same issue for days, came here looking for solution but couldn't find any. Anyway yesterday I installed Tuneup and now I'm playing the game with tuneup's turbo mode and it runs smooth. I've been playing grand campaign for 4 hours straight without any issues. It's not exactly solving the problem but it works for me.

fpulido
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fpulido » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:24 am

Ok, this is really getting frustrating.

Have only had this issue since installing Soviet Corps. I've played Afrika, Allied and the grand campaign with no issues whatsoever. Now no matter which campaign I play, I get the massive slowdown after maybe 2-3 turns. Only fix is to quit the game and reload and it is really destroying my enjoyment of this game.

I've read every post I can find and no fix has helped so far.

I play thru steam and recently installed Win10 but can't remember if the slowdowns were before or after the update. I can't think of anything else that has recently changed on my computer since the problem.

I want to get Golgotha but I'm afraid the problems will persist there to.

Even my very ancient copy of Steel Panthers II is working better than this!

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 am

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by captainjack » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:31 am

Rudankort wrote:We are trying to work with Steam developers to figure out how the interaction between the game and Steam client can cause such a slowdown, but this is an extremely slow process.
But then I have had slow downs and don't use Steam, and I'm sure I've seen comment from another non-steam user who has had slow downs.

While it sounds like the problems with Steam are more common and more serious than the ones I've had it may be that Steam is aggravating a wider problem rather than causing the problem by itself.

fpulido
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fpulido » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:01 am

I tried playing the game without using steam by going to directly to
program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/panzer corps and simply double clicking on the panzercorps.exe file without starting the steam client.

And I was happily able to play an entire mission without any slow down at all...it was glorious!!

Will try to play another mission and see if I get the same results. It was a mission on Afrika Corps that worked the first time...will try a Soviet Corps mission and see if the slow down comes back or not.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8889
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:16 pm

fpulido wrote:Ok, this is really getting frustrating.

Have only had this issue since installing Soviet Corps. I've played Afrika, Allied and the grand campaign with no issues whatsoever. Now no matter which campaign I play, I get the massive slowdown after maybe 2-3 turns. Only fix is to quit the game and reload and it is really destroying my enjoyment of this game.

I've read every post I can find and no fix has helped so far.

I play thru steam and recently installed Win10 but can't remember if the slowdowns were before or after the update. I can't think of anything else that has recently changed on my computer since the problem.

I want to get Golgotha but I'm afraid the problems will persist there to.

Even my very ancient copy of Steel Panthers II is working better than this!
The core engine for Armageddon is different to the one for PzC and the issue has not been reported there afaik.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games
Posts: 2831
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Rudankort » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:07 pm

captainjack wrote:But then I have had slow downs and don't use Steam, and I'm sure I've seen comment from another non-steam user who has had slow downs.

While it sounds like the problems with Steam are more common and more serious than the ones I've had it may be that Steam is aggravating a wider problem rather than causing the problem by itself.
The behavior I can reproduce on my side is that the game eventually slows down when running under Steam client. Running the game without Steam in background removes the problem - it does not slow down even when running for days. If people are experiencing slow downs with normal version, it is probably a different problem, which requires a separate investigation.

Ralle
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Ralle » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Yeah it works fine without steam. But then it`s impossible to play the dlc campaigns.
Playing with steam the problem for me happens after about 12-15 turns.
So why do others say it happens after 2-3 turns? There must be something different.

captainjack
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 am

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by captainjack » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Rudankort wrote:If people are experiencing slow downs with normal version, it is probably a different problem, which requires a separate investigation.
Thanks for the response -it sounds quite likely, especially as two of the responses just after mine show that the Steam problem is much worse than I had realised.

crusader007
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by crusader007 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:53 pm

tested it in steam offline mode. same issue :(

ComissarKrouss
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:54 am

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by ComissarKrouss » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Same issue under Steam. Too lazy to try any fixes, it only takes a couple seconds to restart and works for about half an hour so I can wait for the patch.

Good luck and hope you guys figure it out soon.

fpulido
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fpulido » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:51 pm

crusader007 wrote:tested it in steam offline mode. same issue :(
In offline mode I believe you still have the overlay running, thus the same issue. Try just playing the game by running the panzer corp exe file.

fpulido
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fpulido » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:56 pm

Ralle wrote:Yeah it works fine without steam. But then it`s impossible to play the dlc campaigns.
.
Yes, but if you start the game normally, start the dlc and then save, you can exit, start the game via the exe file only and then load the save file and be able to play with no slowdown.

For me, this is much easier than having to save, quit and restart the game every 5 minutes cause of the slowdown!

HalfLifeExpert
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by HalfLifeExpert » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:04 pm

fpulido wrote:
crusader007 wrote:tested it in steam offline mode. same issue :(
In offline mode I believe you still have the overlay running, thus the same issue. Try just playing the game by running the panzer corp exe file.


Perhaps disabling steam community overlay for Panzer Corps can help?

fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fliegenderstaub » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:38 pm

HalfLifeExpert wrote:
fpulido wrote:
crusader007 wrote:tested it in steam offline mode. same issue :(
In offline mode I believe you still have the overlay running, thus the same issue. Try just playing the game by running the panzer corp exe file.


Perhaps disabling steam community overlay for Panzer Corps can help?
I just tried playing Panzer Corps with the overlay disabled. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, at least in my case.
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -

Ralle
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Ralle » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:28 am

fpulido wrote:
Ralle wrote:Yeah it works fine without steam. But then it`s impossible to play the dlc campaigns.
.
Yes, but if you start the game normally, start the dlc and then save, you can exit, start the game via the exe file only and then load the save file and be able to play with no slowdown.

For me, this is much easier than having to save, quit and restart the game every 5 minutes cause of the slowdown!
Good tip. I`ll try that later.
Thanks.

Post Reply

Return to “Panzer Corps : Tech Support”