Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Tech support for Panzer Corps

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Post Reply
crusader007
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by crusader007 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 am

fpulido wrote:
Ralle wrote:Yeah it works fine without steam. But then it`s impossible to play the dlc campaigns.
.
Yes, but if you start the game normally, start the dlc and then save, you can exit, start the game via the exe file only and then load the save file and be able to play with no slowdown.

For me, this is much easier than having to save, quit and restart the game every 5 minutes cause of the slowdown!
i tried this but it would not start the grand campaign :(

Ralle
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Ralle » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:24 am

I also tried it. But sadly it doesn`t load the savegame without steam.

fpulido
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fpulido » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:47 pm

Ok, stupid steam overlay has somehow developed a memory leak in conjunction with our beloved panzer game but I can't find where its coming from either...try this workaround that I tested and at least works for me so far and still gives you access to the dlcs and saved games.

Start the game via steam as usual, control/alt/delete to get to task manager, under apps you should see steam client bootstrapper...end task on that program. Hopefully steam is gone, panzer corps should still be running with dlcs and saved games still accessible and no slowdown.

Let me know if this helps!

smokeybear
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by smokeybear » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:34 am

fpulido wrote:Ok, stupid steam overlay has somehow developed a memory leak in conjunction with our beloved panzer game but I can't find where its coming from either...try this workaround that I tested and at least works for me so far and still gives you access to the dlcs and saved games.

Start the game via steam as usual, control/alt/delete to get to task manager, under apps you should see steam client bootstrapper...end task on that program. Hopefully steam is gone, panzer corps should still be running with dlcs and saved games still accessible and no slowdown.

Let me know if this helps!
Tried it this morning 4 turns into GC '39 Poland and same slowdown and hanging.

I don't understand why it would work for you and not me?

I am Windows 10 64bit AMD graphics card, bags of memory and i7 4th gen processor just for info and comparison.

What I am planning to do is uninstall all steam items including Steam, and try it using physical discs which I also have (except PC Grand Campaign disc which is on the post to me) although I do have Slitherine's download for that.

Has anyone tried this already?

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator
Posts: 1183
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Tarrak » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:05 pm

smokeybear wrote: What I am planning to do is uninstall all steam items including Steam, and try it using physical discs which I also have (except PC Grand Campaign disc which is on the post to me) although I do have Slitherine's download for that.

Has anyone tried this already?
I am playing all the time the non Steam version of PC and i have no slowdowns at all. My computer got an i5-4690 CPU, Nvidia GTX 970 graphic card, 8GB of RAM and Windows 10 64 bit as OS. I haven't tried the steam version in ages so no idea if it slows down but i find some time spare i will have a look.

HalfLifeExpert
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by HalfLifeExpert » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:28 pm

Wow, I cant believe its been a month and still no solution.

I'm not blaming the devs, they clearly see the issue themselves and must be working to fix it.

I am firmly convinced it has to do with something done to the Steam client on or about March 1st. That is when the problems started appearing. 1.25 and Soviet Corps were released on February 18th, and there were no updates to PzC between then and March 1st, so it cannot be with Soviet Corps/1.25.

It cannot be with any sort of hardware, drivers or OS, as this is reported on a range of machines. The computer that I have logged most of my PzC hours on is actually a non-gaming laptop, and I never had issues with PzC on that, or my gaming desktop, until this.

It really amazes me that this problem is that hard to solve. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just amazed.

Resolute
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Resolute » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:24 am

This morning I was downloading a game from Steam and during the download I was able to play through two scenarios without issues. For the sake of it, I then paused the download, restarted PCorps and after around turn 9 the perfomance issues were once back. Eventually resumed the download, restarted PCorps and played through another scenario just fine. Probably just a coincedence but was still weird.

fpulido
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fpulido » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:53 pm

In my searches for new ideas, I ran across this reply in the steam forum...

Slitherine_Iain [developer]

Unfortunately the Steam overlay cant work with PzC. It requires a complete rewrite of major chunks of the engine to make it work and it isn't really feasible at this point.


Wow, so am I to understand that the developers have given up on the fix and will just continue to release new dlc for those where the game works?? The rest of us can just take it or leave it? Someone tell me this isn't true!

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8893
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by pipfromslitherine » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that date on that post would be a long time ago. The overlay proper (e.g. bringing it up ingame and being able to use it) only works for DirectX based games. That is what he was talking about. The team (and indeed myself) are working hard to try and find the issue, but given it takes 20mins+ each time you want to replicate it, I am sure you can see how it would slow down finding and fixing the cause.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

HalfLifeExpert
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by HalfLifeExpert » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Resolute wrote:This morning I was downloading a game from Steam and during the download I was able to play through two scenarios without issues. For the sake of it, I then paused the download, restarted PCorps and after around turn 9 the perfomance issues were once back. Eventually resumed the download, restarted PCorps and played through another scenario just fine. Probably just a coincedence but was still weird.
That is weird. It made me think of something.

There is the option to disable background downloads for specific games.

Go to Panzer Corps in steam games list, and go to properties. Under the updates tab at the bottom is a place to set whether or not to allow background downloads just for PzC.

Perhaps try playing with background downloads disables, perhaps there is a bug causing the slowdown when there are no downloads

UPDATE: I just tried my idea, and it did not work. But at this point any idea seems worth a shot

fpulido
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fpulido » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:32 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:I'm pretty sure that date on that post would be a long time ago. The overlay proper (e.g. bringing it up ingame and being able to use it) only works for DirectX based games. That is what he was talking about. The team (and indeed myself) are working hard to try and find the issue, but given it takes 20mins+ each time you want to replicate it, I am sure you can see how it would slow down finding and fixing the cause.

Cheers

Pip
Thank you for clarifying that. Its good to know its still being looked into.

Off to play Order of Battle!

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator
Posts: 1183
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Tarrak » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:06 pm

I played the first two scenarios of GC39 in the steam version of the game with steam open in the background and i had no slowdown at all. Either this problem do not affect everyone or i haven't played long enough. I give a few more scenarios a go to see what happens. But in the case it's only affect special hardware/software combinations it may be worth to collect the info from all the affected people. Maybe this shows a pattern and helps the developers to find the problem.

fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fliegenderstaub » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:28 am

Tarrak wrote:I played the first two scenarios of GC39 in the steam version of the game with steam open in the background and i had no slowdown at all. Either this problem do not affect everyone or i haven't played long enough. I give a few more scenarios a go to see what happens. But in the case it's only affect special hardware/software combinations it may be worth to collect the info from all the affected people. Maybe this shows a pattern and helps the developers to find the problem.
Allright, so here we go:

Intel i5 5200U CPU @ 2.20 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia 920M, Intel HD 5500 graphics (tried both - same result). I you need any more details, just say it.
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -

fpulido
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by fpulido » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:05 am

Tarrak wrote:I played the first two scenarios of GC39 in the steam version of the game with steam open in the background and i had no slowdown at all. Either this problem do not affect everyone or i haven't played long enough. I give a few more scenarios a go to see what happens. But in the case it's only affect special hardware/software combinations it may be worth to collect the info from all the affected people. Maybe this shows a pattern and helps the developers to find the problem.
Try the soviet campaign...

Intel i7 4790K @ 4ghz, 16 GB, Asus GeForce GTX970, GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK motherboard

Thrawn046
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Thrawn046 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 am

Dear Team Slitherine/Lordz/Flaschback,

for the First, i have to say i love Panzer Corps very much and its very fine to find these Games Today between all the Call of.... :D

My problem is the same.
I buyed the whole Game (over 70 Euros on Steam) and played the normal Game - No Problems.
The Performance Problems described here are only with AC and all Grand Campaigns + Sea Lion.

But this Thread is existing very long and no Patch/Fix in Sight ?
We all payed much money for this Game, and only want to play.

I also want to buy Soviet Corps and US/Pazifik Corps - But not with this Performance.

I habe the Problem with 2 very different PCs:

Core 2 Duo P8600(2,4Ghz)
4 gig Ram
Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT
Win7 X64 Prof.

Core I7 6700K
16 gig Ram DDR4 2666
MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Win10 X64 Prof.

One Thing helps a bit, but is no Real solution. I get better Performance with Energy Options on full Power (I7 works always with 4200 Mhz on all Cores)

I hope the patch is not taking much longer, i only want to play this great Game without Problems..

When do we get the fix ?

Thrawn046
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Thrawn046 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 am

fpulido wrote:
Tarrak wrote:I played the first two scenarios of GC39 in the steam version of the game with steam open in the background and i had no slowdown at all. Either this problem do not affect everyone or i haven't played long enough. I give a few more scenarios a go to see what happens. But in the case it's only affect special hardware/software combinations it may be worth to collect the info from all the affected people. Maybe this shows a pattern and helps the developers to find the problem.
Try the soviet campaign...

Intel i7 4790K @ 4ghz, 16 GB, Asus GeForce GTX970, GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK motherboard
Or Sea Lion

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator
Posts: 1183
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by Tarrak » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:59 am

I tested a bit more and i don't get any slowdowns at all even after around three hours of playing Panzer Coprs under Steam. At least not any noticeable slowdowns. It seems like it doesn't affect everyone. Obviously no idea if I am among the lucky few ones or the majority. For reference my computer specs are: Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz CPU, NVIDIA GTX 970 GPU, 8 GB RAM on Windows 10 64 bit. All software on newest version, except the GPU drivers which are still 364.51 ... i didn't update them for a while.

smokeybear
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by smokeybear » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:52 am

Tarrak wrote:I tested a bit more and i don't get any slowdowns at all even after around three hours of playing Panzer Coprs under Steam. At least not any noticeable slowdowns. It seems like it doesn't affect everyone. Obviously no idea if I am among the lucky few ones or the majority. For reference my computer specs are: Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz CPU, NVIDIA GTX 970 GPU, 8 GB RAM on Windows 10 64 bit. All software on newest version, except the GPU drivers which are still 364.51 ... i didn't update them for a while.
Well I am shocked that you have no issues for 3 hours using Steam, things don't add up.

Here is my update, I have uninstalled all steam components for Panzer Corps and reinstalled from disc, i.e. all DLC's up to but not including Soviet Corps and patch 1.25.

There's a reason, I this is the second time I have done this but without the full clean up, when I installed Soviet Corps and Patch 1.25, Panzer Corps would not start, so I have done some self help as descrobed.

I will find out by loading SC shortly...........


Radeon Software Version - 16.3.2
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 200 Series
Memory Size - 2048 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 925 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 24 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz

smokeybear
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by smokeybear » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:45 pm

The purpose of this post is to help anyone who has Panzer Corps on disc or downloads from Slitherine as I have but also had Steam versions and encountered problems with hanging etc. when using Steam version.

To pad out the explanation I have included a bit of old stuff as below.
smokeybear wrote:Same issue with me, massive hanging, ever since I installed Soviet Corps I don't get more than a few turns in before it's uncomfortable to play. (I'm still playing Grand Campaign '43, and will finish before I go on to Soviet Corps)..................It's installed through Steam as well, so maybe an issue there?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

Windows 10 64bit Dell 8700 tower.
The above was my first post on this forum on the 4th March.

I have now dispensed with Steam Panzer Corps as in my previous post I said:- "There's a reason, I this is the second time I have done this but without the full clean up, when I installed Soviet Corps and Patch 1.25, Panzer Corps would not start, so I have done some self help as described.

I will find out by loading SC shortly..........."


Having installed from disc all DLC's except Soviet Corps and patch 1.25 - well I downloaded patch 1.25 tried the game for several turns runs infact one and a half scenarios everything is as smooth as silk.

The loaded Soviet Corps from disc, also runs smooth as silk after one complete scenario.

I therefore confirm this is a Steam issue and do not expect anyone playing and using Steam will get any joy as that is where the problem is, not with my hardware, not with my game downloads and not with my discs.

I don't intend at this time to reinstall from Steam Panzer Corps while the bug exists.

I'll keep an eye on this thread but anyone who has the discs should uninstall the Steam version, delete the folders as a belt and braces, run a registry cleaner if they have one and then install from discs, do as I did before installing Soviet Corps; install patch 1.25 then install Soviet Corps, not because I know that is right, but because doing it the other way by just installing Soviet Corps complete with patch 1.25 caused a problem that I had to clear it all off again and start again. May just be a hiccup maybe not, but that procedure as I have described has worked for me when installing from discs after having had the Steam version running like a snail.

I now ask myself why I bought the Steam versions as well?

The answer is it seemed easier to have both for complete system reinstall, not so good an idea currently though.

HalfLifeExpert
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Re: Performance Issue: Massive slow down/hanging.

Post by HalfLifeExpert » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:42 pm

Yes, all the evidence seems to suggest that the most likely culprit in some way is steam. Also it does seem to be affecting DLC content, which in the context of steam means all scenarios other than those in the base vanilla game.

I remember when this bug started being reported, I did a test to see if I was affected, and it didn't appear so, but I was playing the vanilla Poland scenario. Subsequently when I played scenarios from Allied Corps and Soviet Corps, the issue would appear after 20-30 mins of playing.

It seems to make sense that this might have to do with something related to how steam handles these DLCs, especially since you cannot play any of the them without the steam client running.

Post Reply

Return to “Panzer Corps : Tech Support”