Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

rmshanny
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Multiplayer turns freeze when showing opponent's turn

Post by rmshanny »

Received an email from: PBEM Notification
Subject: Slitherine PBEM++ Server Message Panzer Corps

They noticed I was downloading some multiplayer turns multiple times and asked to post here if there was a problem. So here goes:

This problem has been going on since I started playing multiplayer (and only multiplayer...does not occur single player). It doesn't happen every turn, but will happen the majority of the turns in a multiplayer game and sometimes multiple times in the same turn. When I load a scenario (watch opponent's moves enabled) I see one or two of the opponents moves or attacks and hear the audio just fine. Then the video freezes, the blue spinning circle replaces the cursor, and I continue to hear audio from my opponent's turn without any video. If I wait long enough, the game transitions to my turn and I can play as normal, but am unable to go back and watch my opponent's turn. The frustrating workaround is to press the "esc" button before the opponent's turn finishes playing out, which brings up a screen where Windows allows me to press a button to quit the program without saving. I do so, reload Panzer Corps, login to multiplayer, etc. Often times the turn loads correctly and I see my opponent's moves seemlessly. A minority of the reloads result in the same problem occurring for a total of 2-3 times before being able to watch my opponent's moves.

I have played 15-20 MP games and have had this problem in each of them.

I have Panzer Corps installed on several machines via Steam using primarily Windows 10 along with one Windows 8 OS. The problem happens across all machines, regardless of OS. I have had the same opponent for all but one of my MP games, and it has never happened to him. I believe the 2nd opponent, whom I played once, reported similar on a few of his turns. I use Steam, my one consistent opponent does not use Steam. Neither of us use any mods. I have all Panzer Corps DLC/expansions purchased and installed; my opponent has the exact same DLC installed.

Here are a couple other threads on the Panzer Corps: Tech Support forum where people report what sound like similar/identical problems as I am having.

Can I replay opponent's moves in multiplayer?

PBEM Not showing opponent's moves

I have been and will still continue to play Panzer Corps multiplayer regardless of a fix...it is too fun even though I have to crash out of the program and reload nearly once a turn. Any suggestions? The other similar topics in the forum have not resulted in any solutions for me.
ChrisPVie
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Multiplayer turns freeze when showing opponent's turn

Post by ChrisPVie »

I just startet playing multiplayer games an have exactly the same problem. When starting a turn in a multiplayer game I hear movements and attacks of the opponent but video is frozen and the blue spinning circle from windows appears.
The same problem also occurs in single player games from time to time on my machine but usually only for a few moves an not for the whole replay.

I'm running the game on windows 10.
On MacOS this problem does not occur.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Kind of a known problem I guess, at least there where multiple similar posts here in the past... I try to not touch the PC (or the mouse) while the MP opponent replay is on...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
rmshanny

Post by rmshanny »

ChrisPVie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:25 pm I just startet playing multiplayer games an have exactly the same problem. When starting a turn in a multiplayer game I hear movements and attacks of the opponent but video is frozen and the blue spinning circle from windows appears.
The same problem also occurs in single player games from time to time on my machine but usually only for a few moves an not for the whole replay.
Can you bail out of the program by pressing the escape key when the playback appears to freeze? I just reload and repeat until it plays through successfully. When I wait too long to hit the escape key the opponent's turn plays out and I miss seeing all his moves.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Tech Support”