Panzer General Classic Mod (Help wanted) [0.15]

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

rezaf
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by rezaf » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:15 pm

DJ1 wrote:Got this working now and loving it. Although for some reason I can't seem to get to Balkans / North Africa or Crete campaigns. Basically when I finish France, I am asked whether or not to invade Gibraltar. When I click yes, I am sent to Sea Lion '40. If I click no, the game crashes and still seems to try to load Sea Lion, then it crashes.

I opened Scenarios, Custom, then loaded North Africa. Not sure if that is the only way to play Crete / North Africa but not in the grand campaign? Crete also opens from the scenario, custom load.
About Africa, you were too successful. If you win a DV in Low Countries and a DV in France, that automatically heads you to the GB invasion. Technically, there should be an option to play 1500 prestige for Italian support (Sealion Plus), otherwise it'd be Sealion 40.
The option is in the briefing files, but since there doesn't seem to be an option to substract prestige, you get less prestige anyway, so you should always chose Sealion Plus anyway.
Oddly enough, the game never actually crashes on me for that reason, but when other people reported it, this usually implied that there were no deployment zones in a scenario, so I'll check that in Sealion 40 and fix it if the problem lies therein. Gonna take at least another day before I get back to my gaming PC, though.

That said, if you want to play Africa, just idle around a few turns in France so you only get a Marginal.
Then it'll give you the choice to go to Africa or the Balkans.

Thanks for playing and reporting your issues - like I wrote, I'll try to get to it asap.
_____
rezaf

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Sleezly wrote:Just finished your campaign with a marginal victory in Washington! Didn`t run into anymore problems in the campaign after Stalingrad! Thanks for your effort it was fun to play! :D
Well, unless you already did everything, there's other paths through the campaign, if you desire a little more.
Regardless, thanks for finishing it and reporting back. 8)
_____
rezaf

jaggy
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by jaggy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:55 am

Can someone kindly post a link to the campaign path for this mod? I thought I saw it somewhere before in the forums but I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:03 am

jaggy wrote:Can someone kindly post a link to the campaign path for this mod? I thought I saw it somewhere before in the forums but I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.
Well, it's supposed to imitate the original PG campaign tree, but not sure if it's exact. Here's a link of the original:

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/597/597392p1.html
Panzer Corps Beta Tester

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:49 am

AgentX wrote:Well, it's supposed to imitate the original PG campaign tree, but not sure if it's exact.
At least it's supposed to be exact - if it is not, I made an error someplace.
Here's a graphical PG1 campaign tree.
_____
rezaf

Hammer4000
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Hammer4000 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:49 pm

so has the problem with whether or not you want the Italian fleet to assist you in sealion been fixed? I played a game just recently and when i clicked no, it took me to a black screen, no crashes just a black screen.

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Hammer4000 wrote:so has the problem with whether or not you want the Italian fleet to assist you in sealion been fixed? I played a game just recently and when i clicked no, it took me to a black screen, no crashes just a black screen.
Hmm, at least it works right now. I just tried to be safe.
With 0.14 (which I will upload shortly), you should be good to go.

That said, as of now, that choice is pretty much irrelevant. As discussed in another thread, you cannot actually subtract prestige during a briefing file as of now, or so it seems, so you don't lose any prestige when you ask for help of the Italians. I'm not yet sure how to fix that, but it's on my ToDo list.
_____
rezaf

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Ok, 0.14 is up for grabs, the original post has been updated with the changelist.

Another request for specific impressions: How do you guys feel about the Moscow missions, even more specifically their time limits?
In my playtests, I've been unable to achieve a DV, and in the later missions, it's increasingly harder.
I'm contemplating either increasing the turn limits or replacing some of the Regular troops with Conscripts, as I found dealing with these can consume a large amount of time with many unfavorable combat results and/or rugged defense. What do you guys think?
_____
rezaf

Sleezly
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Sleezly » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi rez, wanted to tell you about a problem with the first north afrika scenario in which you couldn`t finish with a victoy even after taking all objectives well ahead of time. Had to go all the way to last turn and take a loss to be able to continue on to Tunis. The Tunis scenario was fine, was able to get a DV and go on to italy or Russia. Don't know if this was fixed in 0.14 as i was still using 0.13 at the time. I might go back and do it again to check. Appreciate your time and effort on this! :D

Korgan
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Feedback

Post by Korgan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 am

First of all I would like to thank you for your hard work.

PG_France
Adjusted AI settings of a few allied units.
Reduced allied prestige-per-turn, slightly increased axis prestige-per-turn.
Increased turn limit to 30.

This doesn´t seem to work. It says you have 26 turns. If you finish in 23 turns it should be minor victory but you get major victory.

I have just played Balkans and it was a little unbalanced compared to org PG. Italian troops are very strong. In fact they did not seem to need any help from the germans. Italian tanks was very weak in org PG, now they are very strong. You get more italian aircraft as well.

In org PG you were able to buy/upgrade to FW190A at North Africa or Balkans. In this campaign you only get ME109F. This is more realistic and better but not the same as org PG.

rezaf

Re: Feedback

Post by rezaf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:47 am

Korgan wrote:First of all I would like to thank you for your hard work.
You're welcome - thanks for playing!
Korgan wrote:This doesn´t seem to work. It says you have 26 turns. If you finish in 23 turns it should be minor victory but you get major victory.
I probably only forgot to adjust the pzloc file, but I'll check later today when I get home.
Korgan wrote:I have just played Balkans and it was a little unbalanced compared to org PG. Italian troops are very strong. In fact they did not seem to need any help from the germans. Italian tanks was very weak in org PG, now they are very strong. You get more italian aircraft as well.

In org PG you were able to buy/upgrade to FW190A at North Africa or Balkans. In this campaign you only get ME109F. This is more realistic and better but not the same as org PG.
Well, part one of my remake plan was to remake the maps as faithfully as possible. There are probably still a few bugs here and there, but overall, I think it came out pretty good.
Force compositions are also supposedly the same - in rare circumstances, I picked a different unit because the one from PG was not available (the Italian Re2000 fighter is a prominent example), but I plan to rectify that later.
If you find a unit that's not the one you'd expect from playing PG, and if it does exist in PC, it's probably an error on my part and you should let me know about it.
The same applies to excess units, but I'm pretty sure I only placed what was available in the original PG. Did you double check if there are indeed more italian aircraft now?

As of now, I have not made any adjustments to PCs equipment file, which explains different availabilities of stuff. For this version, I strive to provide enough prestige that you can afford the shiny toys from PC, so I manipulated prestige gains - that's very much necessary, as you can no longer get prestige by defeating enemy units.
Losses in PG always gave 0 prestige...

Anyway, down the road, I plan to:
Add all units from the original PG to PC and correctly add them to the maps.
Make available an optional equipment file that lets you play as accurately as possibe, i.e. with PG's unit costs and strengths.
Expand upon the campaign with more missions. I'm currently toying around with units for a Spanish Civil War portion...

I hope you'll be able to enjoy what's already there, might be a while until I can finish those additional plans of mine.
_____
rezaf

Korgan

Crete

Post by Korgan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:09 am

Now I have moved on to the Crete assault.

This map became very hard since the most western airfield did not get a flag when a captured it. My ME109Fs don´t have that much fuel. I managed to finish the map at the last turn.

Now on to Smolensk!

produit
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Kiev map

Post by produit » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Near Chernigov, on the Kiev map, a bridge is missing, compared to the original version of PG.
This slows down the southern attack quite a lot. It could be nice to add it to the map.

rezaf

Re: Kiev map

Post by rezaf » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:24 pm

Korgan wrote:This map became very hard since the most western airfield did not get a flag when a captured it.
Thanks for pointing this out, though you SLIGHTLY exaggerated - there was a single airfield with a missing flag. It'll be fixed in the next version.
produit wrote:Near Chernigov, on the Kiev map, a bridge is missing, compared to the original version of PG.
This slows down the southern attack quite a lot. It could be nice to add it to the map.
Good call produit - there wasn't just a missing bridge but an entire missing road connection. Fixed it for the next release.

As always, thanks for playing and for helping fixing the errors guys.
_____
rezaf

BriteLite
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by BriteLite » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:35 am

rezaf wrote:Ok, 0.14 is up for grabs, the original post has been updated with the changelist.

Another request for specific impressions: How do you guys feel about the Moscow missions, even more specifically their time limits?
In my playtests, I've been unable to achieve a DV, and in the later missions, it's increasingly harder.
I'm contemplating either increasing the turn limits or replacing some of the Regular troops with Conscripts, as I found dealing with these can consume a large amount of time with many unfavorable combat results and/or rugged defense. What do you guys think?
_____
rezaf
Hi rezaf. Been doing V0.14. Regarding Moscow and later missions I too have been unable to achieve DV. Specifically for Moscow I would substitute the Conscripts to "weaken" the Russian defense. This I think would correctly simulate the historical result and make the mission more enjoyable. I think adding a turn or2 wouldn't hurt the campaign balance.

For me the more scenarios in the campaign the better. In original PG Gerold Treiter published what I consider to be the best modified campaign. But so much of PG was hard coded we were never able to see a polished finished campaign. If I may ask and please forgive me if already answered how are you getting the maps into PzC?
Thank you for your fine work!

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:07 pm

BriteLite wrote:Hi rezaf. Been doing V0.14. Regarding Moscow and later missions I too have been unable to achieve DV. Specifically for Moscow I would substitute the Conscripts to "weaken" the Russian defense. This I think would correctly simulate the historical result and make the mission more enjoyable. I think adding a turn or2 wouldn't hurt the campaign balance.
Like I wrote, I'm thinking about doing just that.
BriteLite wrote:If I may ask and please forgive me if already answered how are you getting the maps into PzC?
Thank you for your fine work!
I actually converted them all by hand - I can tell you it was actually quite a bit of work.

I'm happy to report, though, that wino, the guy currently maintaining the map editor for the old PG games, is working on an automated converter from PG to PC and has already finished a beta version of it.
I'll update this post with a link later, but you should be able to find it on your own using GoogleFu.
_____
rezaf

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:41 pm

rezaf wrote: I'm happy to report, though, that wino, the guy currently maintaining the map editor for the old PG games, is working on an automated converter from PG to PC and has already finished a beta version of it.
I'll update this post with a link later, but you should be able to find it on your own using GoogleFu.
Great.
Thanks for reporting.

kane544
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kane544 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:50 am

I don't suppose Kharkov is in here anywhere? I have played through the mod a few times and it hasn't come up.

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:08 am

kane544 wrote:I don't suppose Kharkov is in here anywhere? I have played through the mod a few times and it hasn't come up.
It's there. Take a look at the Panzer General Campaign Tree.
_____
rezaf

RobertCL
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by RobertCL » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:59 am

Excellent!

I played with Arnhem - Market Garden

St Oedenroade city cannot be captured, I captured all cities at turn 11 but this city cannot be captured (city without flag).
I had to click on next turn until turn nr 21 to win...

Can you correct this ?

Thx a lot!

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”