Be prepared to be "WOW'ed"!!

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

rezaf
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by rezaf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 am

Btw., I was the one who did all the skinning - or rather, I did a little of it, and then went on to write a little tool that applies skins to units prepared in a specific way automatically.
If anyone needs any further skins applied or wants one of the skins applied resized in some way, feel free to request such things - it's a press of a button for me now, at least for the most part. Also, I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the skinning on some of the icons.
For example, on the Stug's, you see the inside of the skirts attached to the opposite of the vehicle. I'd presume these weren't actually painted in the camouflage scheme?
I was thinking about just picking/defining one color for each skin and then applying this to such parts - might also apply to the area in between the tracks, which I left unmodified for the first proof-of-concept, which the archive flakfernrohr has posted.
It was supposed to be a WIP and I hope flakfernrohr will help me further improve on it.

Just to clarify, except for the Ambush skin, ALL of the actual skins were created by flakfernrohr, and I think they are truly excellent.
I merely applied them to the icons/wrote a tool to do that.
_____
rezaf
Last edited by rezaf on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:41 am

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!My bad. I did not want to reveal names unless rezaf intended to be known. And I was so blown away with what he sent me I thought they were all finals! Sorry for my screwup rezaf!

I was so excited to get them that I couldn't wait to share them with the other forum members because there is a real dearth or lack of variety in the icons in the game. We have all the fantastic mods, add-ons etc, that I just thought this was a true gift from Valhalla to us all.

My apologies for letting the goose out of the bag if I was not supposed to do it yet rezaf! My first born child is already grown ready to have one of her own, so what else can I offer in condolences?
I sent you a private email when I realized what had happened.

Yes, I was not trying to take credit for much of anything, much less the ambush pattern which I found by accident on the internet at a Japanese model site.
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I don't know why, but I suspected it was rezaf.
Great work, rezaf. :)

airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:54 pm

VPaulus wrote:Great work, rezaf. :)

++++100000 :shock: :D

Thank you both,,very much
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Guys, I owe rezaf an apology for "jumping the gun" and posting about these icons before he was through with them. He only wanted me to go over them with him and maybe do some tweaking like inside the
Stug skirts, colors, good/bad, etc. I did not understand this when he sent them to me. So, being the avid PzC person I am, I got way too excited and could not wait to share them with the community. I screwed up and got over anxious.

rezaf and I have cleared it up and I feel like an a** now, but they did get my adrenalin pumping.

I only kept his name out of it because he did these for me personally. Clearly I wanted it to be understood they were not MY work. I can skin a deer and a hog, but not a tank.

So thanks to rezaf we all have a better game in my opinion.

Cheers
Flakfernrohr
Last edited by flakfernrohr on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?

HBalck
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Location: Augsburg / Bavaria / Germany...but I am from Eastern Germany !

Post by HBalck » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:02 pm

I dont like it - new 3D units with divisional camo looks mutch better !

H.Balck

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:53 pm

HBalck wrote:I dont like it - new 3D units with divisional camo looks mutch better !

H.Balck
Completely disagree.
These at least have a certain... finished quality.

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:54 pm

flakfernrohr wrote: Clearly I wanted it to be understood they were not MY work. I can skin a deer and a hog, but not a tank.
Just wanted to clarify that we've cleared this up, it was just a mere little misunderstanding between flak an myself.
While I think there's still a little room for improvements with the skins, in principal, making the skins was flakfernrohrs work and he deserves just as much credit as I do - I was merely a little dismayed that he didn't contact me before or after offering them in public, but these are his at least as much as they are mine .
If anyone else wants to have some units skinned in a similar manner, I'll gladly do it, and they're free to use them however they please.
HBalck wrote:I dont like it - new 3D units with divisional camo looks mutch better !
Yeah, can't deny that HBalck. However, I neither have the skill nor the time to work on full 3D images - I'm sure flakfernrohr would be willing to allow Slitherine to use the skins to make actual reskins of the 3D models, but failing that, this is the best we can get.
It's simple to do these in great numbers - and since the base models are the same, it's guaranteed that they blend in well with the other units.

I have stated more than once that I think you did and do a great job on your 3D units - but most of them actually don't look "right" next to existing units in the game. That's not a problem in your projects, as you are replacing ALL units, but some other people might not be as ambitious.

Finally, at least everyone can freely use these skinned units, be it players or modders.
_____
rezaf

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:56 pm

rezaf wrote:Finally, at least everyone can freely use these skinned units, be it players or modders.
Bloody Right.
These have definitely a true community spirit. They are not just show off.

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:55 am

VPaulus wrote:
rezaf wrote:Finally, at least everyone can freely use these skinned units, be it players or modders.
Bloody Right.
These have definitely a true community spirit. They are not just show off.
As far as I am concerned, the skins I made are free to use by anyone and they are in mediafire at the link I posted. You can pick any or all of them individually. If Panzer Corps developers or modders want to use them, please use them as your own. If Panzer Corps wants me to cook something else up with this stuff to use in upcoming DLC, Patches or Mods, I will be glad to contribute free of charge. :D

I was motivated because I like seeing camouflage Panzers and armor in action instead of the Panzergrau. Also I was motivated because there are no winter camouflaged units! Some of the best game play is in winter, snow and mud. Now all we gotta do is get the Soviet armor in white and we are set for a Winter War.

airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:33 am

I for one think these skins are absolutely awesome

I myself am using the ambush scheme as we speak,,but plan on using the others as well.

All of the sets are well done

They all mesh perfectly (imho) w/ the color scheme and contrast of the vanilla map

I've tried some other skins,,but they were "to bright",,so to speak.

Thanks again for the great work ....both of you

Just one question

Any plans for the Luftwaffe units? :D :D :D :D

BTW ,,I have relabled/renamed all of the units for the ambush scheme,so if any wants copies I will gladly pass them along. :wink:

I can also relabel/rename other sets for the authors and or community if anyone desires

Once again GREAT JOB!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:20 am

It beats the fluorescent Orange and Green units I've seen.

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:36 am

Razz1 wrote:It beats the fluorescent Orange and Green units I've seen.

LOL :lol:

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 am

flakfernrohr wrote:Now all we gotta do is get the Soviet armor in white and we are set for a Winter War.
Were you thinking about plain white or some sort of whiteish camouflage?
What would happen to the area around the track?

Here's a cooked up icon of a T-34-40:

Not yet optimized much, just a base for discussions.
_____
rezaf

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:20 am

rezaf wrote:
flakfernrohr wrote:Now all we gotta do is get the Soviet armor in white and we are set for a Winter War.

_____
rezaf
This kind of camouflage can lift standalone/mp winterwar scenario's to a higher level.
Perhaps you should place such a unit on the frozen north map, to check effects and such.

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:44 am

rezaf wrote:

_____
rezaf
Yes, indeed rezaf, exactly. Yes, I am a firm believer in getting some white camo on German, Soviet and maybe even some Finnish armor (German and Russian origin of course). THAT tank looks good to me as it is. But I will leave it to you to decide. flak

bobk
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by bobk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Newbie Question:

This is great stuff by the way, hard to play with the plain grey units now. Thank You!
Anyway, can I pick a bunch of camo units I like, change the names to match the in game units to be replaced, call them "spring color mod" or something as absurd; and put that folder in GME? Point being I may pick another group and name them something else, and have that as another mod?

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:05 am

bobk wrote:Newbie Question:

This is great stuff by the way, hard to play with the plain grey units now. Thank You!
Anyway, can I pick a bunch of camo units I like, change the names to match the in game units to be replaced, call them "spring color mod" or something as absurd; and put that folder in GME? Point being I may pick another group and name them something else, and have that as another mod?

The whole point was to add some color, variety, realism and just pizzazz to an already outstanding game that gets better with each contribution made by modders. I myself am a former avid armor modeler and I love to dabble with camouflage. So now you know my motivations.

With the Equipment Editor software, some practise putting your changes to work in a game and getting the experience using it, you will be able to take specific icons you like, custom name them for a pet unit or name you like and make them available at the start of a scenario or a campaign. Most of the campaigns so far have begun early in the war, so you cannot have Panthers, Tigers, etc. to play with unless you tweak the "availablity" date of the unit. You can change the DEFAULT units available at a scenario or campaign using other methods. One thing you MUST do to keep the unit from being given as a reward of extra units as a BONUS UNIT, is to make it a "PURCHASE UNIT" and NOT A "BONUS UNIT". This can be designated in the Equipment Editor so that you can have say 2nd Panzer Division or Gross Deutschland Panzer Grenadier as unique units with their own icons.

BOBK:

The things to do:

1. Going to the Graphics folder and the unit section where you put the new icons, rename the icon you want to your chosen name.
2. Be sure to include the "_" between ALL spaces between any words or numbers that do not join together
3. When you go to the Equipment Editor, load the same Units folder you changed the name of the unit within
4. Select the unit you want to duplicate (say Panther G) from the game's standard units, then click on ADD UNIT.
5. Scroll to the bottom of the unit list and you will see a new Panther G unit of the same type with a NEW NUMBER
6. Click on that unit with the NEW NUMBER and make sure it comes up in the window naming the unit with the NEW NUMBER
7. Go to the Unit Image box and click on the image of the default Panther G in the box, you should be routed back to the Graphics folder you are using, but if it sends you to just the game file, go to the Graphics folder and go
to the Units section with your newly named unit in it
8. Scroll through the Unit graphics until the ICON you renamed shows up in the Unit Image box of the Equipment Editor
9. On the left side bottom near the "Add Unit" button, you will see "Commit Unit", click on this button and you will have created your new unit.
10. Check the Traits boxes to make sure you can purchase the unique unit and NOT HAVE IT GIVEN AS A BONUS UNIT, if you make a change, click on "Commit Unit" again. Do this each time you make a change in the
Equipment Editor.
11. When you are done, click on the "Save" button at the bottom of the Equipment Editor box. Be sure that you are saving to the correct EQUIPMENT LIST file of the game in the DATA FOLDER. You are not going to save this
change in the Graphics Unit folder! Make sure of the place you are saving the change. It will prompt you to make sure you want to replace the Equipment File, and you do so say YES. This command also links the new
unique Icon you made to your new unit in the Equipment list. If you did everything right, when you use the unit in a game it will not show up invalid. If it does, you left something out of the process so recheck your steps.

12. If you want to change the default units in a scenario or campaign there is another procedure for this and it does not go through the Equipment Editor, you have to change the game defaults. The answer for that is in
the thread entitled "Common Questions"

IF you rename the icons themselves in the png pictures of the graphics folder of your game, be sure to put "_" between any space: IE: Panther_Gross_Deutschland. The unit will come up "invalid" when you go to the map to play otherwise (and for other reasons if you are not thorough in making changes in the Equipment Editor). Best to do this when you can focus and concentrate to not lose your train of thought while doing it until it is completed and checked.
Last edited by flakfernrohr on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:22 am

bobk wrote:Point being I may pick another group and name them something else, and have that as another mod?
Yes. As many as you want.

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:34 am

flakfernrohr, I think he just want to play the scenarios and the campaigns with this units.
I think he doesn't want to mod or edit the equipment file.

However you could write a tutorial, on how to add a unit. I would welcome it. :wink:

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”