USMC Campaign v0.9, released 25 Mar 2012

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

drjeff21
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by drjeff21 »

Very cool. Thank you. I am very much looking forward to playing these scenarios.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Btw, are there any experts here about the Pacific war, specifically Japanese units?

So far, I have named their inf "IJA Infantry 41", "IJA Engineers" etc. An idea I had then was use Japanese terms, thought I'm not sure about them.

IIRC it would be:

Rikusentai - SNLF inf (marines)

Teishin - IJA paras

But does anybody know what to use for normal inf, engineers, bridge engineers?

There is also the Pacific Panzer General website having some specific terms, but I'm not sure if I understand everything correctly, since the site is mostly in Czech (at least the Eglish version doesn't seem to work?):
http://hartmann.valka.cz/panzergeneral/ ... seznam.php

From there it seems:

Hohei - IJA Infantry
Kyoka Hohei - IJA HW infantry?
Konoe Hohei - IJA Imp. Guard Inf?
Senpaku Kohei - ???

There seems to be nothing about bridge or combat engineers. If I use those Japanese terms it would be nice to have them complete, instead of using a mix of English and Japanese names - then I rather go back to full English names.

Is there anyone who knows more about this?
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 »

Can't wait until you post this! It is looking absolutely woundeful! Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this. Coming from one that doesn't have the skill/patience...a BIG thank you!
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Thx :) I guess you don't have to wait that long for the 1st part to arrive anymore - should be on the weekend.

Time to throw out some more info:

As noted, jungle terrain has three levels now, means we have "light jungle", "jungle", and "deep jungle" (does this actually make sense in English?).

Light is bocage terrain modified for both gfx and values. Normal jungle is changed from "light forest", deep from "forest".

There is now an "amphibious" movement type. You cannot drive around on land *and* ocean, but it will make for example river crossing easier for selected land transports (DUKW for example) and Amtanks (which however don't appear in the first part). Not in yet, but planned for the next part are also Japanese amphib tanks and vehicles.

Amtracs make an appearance, but are made no-purchase in the beginning - this will change when I make scns playing later with more amtrac types arriving. However, right in the first scneario you'll also see your troops landing with LVT-1 amtracs (a changed sea tranport), but once reaching the shores they're left behind.

Some aux units in the first scns also use the no-purchase land LVT transport. I choose this way to avoid that everything gets motorized right away: the 1st Marine division had an amtrac battalion and of course also trucks on Guadalcanal, but from what I read I think that this wasn't comparable to the scale of motorization in general and speciically Amtrac use we saw later in the Pacific.

You can buy though DUKW, normal trucks, and even halftracks, but the questions will be if it's always wise that early...

In general, you start with mostly green troops (I only gave the starting core raiders and paras some minor exp), while esp. early on the Japanese are more experienced - after all many of them are in war longer.

Japanese armor is mostly somewhat inferior stats-wise, and not present in every scn, otoh for example Zero fighters are early a tough nut for your Wildcats.

More later :)
Kerloc
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Kerloc »

i would like to produce some units for your campaign. It looks exremely awesome !
AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX »

bebro wrote:Btw, are there any experts here about the Pacific war, specifically Japanese units?

So far, I have named their inf "IJA Infantry 41", "IJA Engineers" etc. An idea I had then was use Japanese terms, thought I'm not sure about them.
There was a Sino-Japanese mod a while back (link below). The creator seemed to know his stuff and, maybe, he could help you. He also had some nice looking models that might look good in your mod (including a mortar crew which could be a great addition). Maybe, he'd let you use them?

viewtopic.php?t=26896&highlight=japanese
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Wow, haven't seen this thread before, thx. There's some very nice stuff indeed. I hope this work is being continued.

Kerloc: Thx :) What units do you have in mind? I have quite a lot myself though. Still I'm far from having all I plan to have. Right now I have all for the first part coming soon, when I continue the campaign beyond Guadalcanal and more into 1943 (first parts ends early 43), 44 or even 45 there is still lots of work. Maybe we can coordinate our efforts a bit :)

So far, I use:

- stock PzC Italian and German training brownish arty, AA and others for Japanese types
- some stock US units for the USMC (like the M3 light tank, towed arty, AA etc.)
- and then a number of either modified stock gfx (esp. inf) or newly made gfx for the rest

Here's an overview of what new or heavily modified gfx are in the first four scns (not complete, there are some more):

Notes:

- Japanese inf gave me some headaches, since when looking around for their uniforms you get lotsa differences, some are all brown, some only brown pants, some all green/olive etc.; also seems to depend on year and theater of operations; however, the pic shows what I'm using now
- US Marines 41 (the Brit clones) are not actually used, but I thought it would be nice to have them. Maybe I should change the uniform color though

To anyone who is interested: as a rule of thumb, once they're are released they can be used in other mods like my other custom units (so freely for non-profit use). A little credit mentioning the creator would be nice :)

Credits: thanks to a creator named "robotnik" (to my knowledge not active here, found his work via relicnews forums) who created the 37mm AT gun 3d model I was modifying my gfx from.
Last edited by bebro on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Great job, bebro.
They look outstanding. :D
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

It seems that I’ve been away for too long. I have been mostly camped out on Team Assault forum for the last several months – and to a lesser extent on Commander – The Great War. (Beta testing both of them)

But it looks like I have come back just in time for the big unveiling.
:D

I haven’t read every word in this thread as of yet – but what I have read I am very excited about. This is definitely something that interests me big time. It looks awesome and I can’t wait to get a hold of it.

Help me VPaulus, Now what am I going to do?
:shock:
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Don't you worry. You can make it.
The problem is when you add to that, the job of moderator and modding.
You're, of course, on the verge, of getting a divorce and being fired.
But you know like John Wayne said, "A Mans Gotta Do What a Mans Gotta Do".
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

VPaulus wrote:Don't you worry. You can make it.
The problem is when you add to that, the job of moderator and modding.
You're, of course, on the verge, of getting a divorce and being fired.
But you know like John Wayne said, "A Mans Gotta Do What a Mans Gotta Do".
You quoted The Duke – then I’m golden
:lol:
Kerloc
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Kerloc »

bebro wrote: Kerloc: Thx :) What units do you have in mind? I have quite a lot myself though. Still I'm far from having all I plan to have. Right now I have all for the first part coming soon, when I continue the campaign beyond Guadalcanal and more into 1943 (first parts ends early 43), 44 or even 45 there is still lots of work. Maybe we can coordinate our efforts a bit :)
You say - i make :D Just write a PM with models that you need (you can write the pm in german ^^)
Ballermann

Post by Ballermann »

Wow, very nice units.
Will we see new Ships in that mod too?
Sorry, for my bad school english...
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Naval warfare doesn't play a major role in the first part, so I use stock gfx for that. Some of the major naval battles taking place around Guadalcanal are left out since they don't fit in with the land scenarios time- or map-wise.

It is not ideal but saves some work. Well, at least I have given the ships involved so far (mainly giving fire support in scn 1, and some later) unique names ;)

I may include new ships in the following part(s), it is definately something I'd like to have, but also a question of time/effort/priorities.

Kerloc: that is great to hear :) I'll come back to this once I have the release of the first pt. behind me :)

Edit:

Thx to the people at JP's, esp. Radoye, I got also the Japanese inf names I asked for earlier :)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Campaign Progression/Victory Screen problem

Post by bebro »

OK, I have a little problem now. However, even when I don't get this ironed out right now I'll release the mini campaign as planned on the weekend, since everything else works and players will usually go for wins anyway (in this case the prob is not relevant).

Here's the issue:

It works all fine to the end of every scenario, then I get the usual end screen showing a pic with a text telling me the victory type.

I use in the editor "Decisive Victory" "Marginal Victory" and "Defeat". They're are also in the PZLOC files. As far as I can see, I get the correct victory type displayed as text after each scn/outcome.

But, there are two probs: I can go to the next scenario even after a defeat that is supposed to end the campaign (using the "END" parameter in the campaign file). I also get to see the DV de-briefing every time, despite having de-briefing files specifically for all outcomes for every scn.

The other prob is the victory screen. I made custom screens for all three outcomes, and even when the game shows correctly the text "Defeat" or "Marginal Victory" it uses always the gfx made for the DV screen as background.

Has anyone experienced that prob and has an idea how to solve it? So far I can't find the mistakes causing this. As hinted above, if a player gets all DVs or MVs it plays no role anyway, but of course I prefer to get this solved.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

bebro your work is really good. Outstanding and I for one surely appreciate your hard work and efforts. You add to this game immeasureably. Great Job!
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Thx for the comments everyone. Part I/Guadalcanal should be out this sunday :)
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

I truly cannot wait!
8)
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Any particular reason for the IJA HW not having the standard soldiers configuration with the heavy machine gun?
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Well, I modified the Japanese guys using helmets from the French inf units, those with caps from the German mountain inf. The French seem to have no HW using MGs it seems. So I used this one.

But now that you say it, maybe I should have given them a mg to make them more look like "HW".

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”