USMC Campaign v0.9, released 25 Mar 2012

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

morge4 wrote:So far am enjoying this one...

In scenario 2, as I finished I was shown an 'Axis Surrendered' (in very Germanic writing) and was not able to proceed further, this has happened twice now??

overall, I like it but can't get to scenario's 3 and4 like this??
I'm sorry to hear that, but I couldn't reproduce the problem. I can play normally to the end, so it is difficult to say what the reason is. Just to make sure: you play with PzC v1.05? I assume you play an English language version?

Is anyone else getting this trouble too?

You should only get scenario outcome screens like the one below, displaying either "Decisive Victory", "Marginal Victory" or "Defeat". By "Germanic writing" do you mean the same style as the text reading "Decisive Victory" in the pic here? That is a standard font from PzC, but I never encountered something saying 'Axis Surrendered' in the mod or in the maingame, so right now it's a mystery for me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Are the Zero and the USMC M3 ATY working with sound?
And the LVT... You can give a LVT to a unit, but the unit can't go to sea with it, right?
I get sound with both the Zero and the M3 ATY version. The LVT has two entries in the eqp file:

1. As sea transport (showing only the upper half, as if it would "swimming"), which works like any naval transport - so is only displayed when a land unit is transported via sea, and disappears when the unit disembarks (like in scn1)

2. As land transport, but set to "no purchase", only pre-set to some aux units. This one can only travel on land, but due to modded amphib movement can cross rivers faster (same with the DUKW amphib truck, which can be purchased).

Re the earlier probs, I'll provide a hotfix for the scn4 victory locations, and alternative gfx for unit str this evening
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

MikeAP wrote:Looking through the files here, I see alot of original PZC data...terrain files, graphics, units etc..

I would recommend sorting through your mod and deleting the original PZC data in order to reduce the download size.

There's no need to include original PZC data in the mod.
Missed this post earlier. Yeah, it's definately a good idea. For the next days I'll only see to get serious probs fixed asap if they arise, but before the next bigger update I'll see to get rid of unneeded files.
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

In the third scenario, after 3 attemps i was not able to get a DV, not even a MV.
I must be missing something or should run the Pz Corps tutorial again.

I had 3 slots available to purchase new units but could only buy two with the available prestige after reinforcing my other units. Except for the paratrooper, i only used normal reinforcements.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

nikivdd wrote:In the third scenario, after 3 attemps i was not able to get a DV, not even a MV.
I must be missing something or should run the Pz Corps tutorial again.

I had 3 slots available to purchase new units but could only buy two with the available prestige after reinforcing my other units. Except for the paratrooper, i only used normal reinforcements.

Thx for the feedback. PP are probably tight when you had high losses earlier.

***Spoiler***
In the 3rd scn I buy two arty units, one 75mm towed gun without TP (to save PP) I place in the south-east (where the main Japanese attack is) plus my four inf units.

One SP AT 75mm on halftrack which has the arty switch I deploy plus my tank near the center-coast, then drive westwards to help holding the western objective.

If you can fend off these two main attacks you only need to make sure no enemy is sneaking to the other objectives, some aux units should be enoug to guard them.

IMO in the south-east it is easier if you do a somewhat elastic defense, moving backwards (so north) while fighting, and keep the enemy in check with combined arty-air-inf attacks. You can afford to lose objectives temporarily if you take them back before the end.
***Spoiler End***
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Now i feel spoiled :oops:

Thanks for the suggestions. I must say i didn't even notice/know that the AT unit is switchable, that is why i didn't buy it. Only a normal artillery and another tank unit which now appears to be a complete mistake.

I tried to take advantage of the terrain in the south-east but it doesn't help to trigger a rugged defence.
Or those japanese must have a trait i don't know about.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

nikivdd wrote:Now i feel spoiled :oops:

Thanks for the suggestions. I must say i didn't even notice/know that the AT unit is switchable, that is why i didn't buy it. Only a normal artillery and another tank unit which now appears to be a complete mistake.

I tried to take advantage of the terrain in the south-east but it doesn't help to trigger a rugged defence.
Or those japanese must have a trait i don't know about.
Only their engineers have the usual traits. But some of them have pre-set experience, though nothing outrageous.

Personally the 3rd is my favourite scn of all four. However, I'm thinking of reducing it to 15 turns, then the main fightig seems to be decided. If there's serious prestige shortage I also have to think whether to provide more. I can live with the current PP settings, but as said as creator it's always easier anyway.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

bebro wrote:
Only their engineers have the usual traits. But some of them have pre-set experience, though nothing outrageous.

Personally the 3rd is my favourite scn of all four. However, I'm thinking of reducing it to 15 turns, then the main fightig seems to be decided. If there's serious prestige shortage I also have to think whether to provide more. I can live with the current PP settings, but as said as creator it's always easier anyway.
I'm sure there will be plenty more feedback before making any decissions.
Thanks a lot for the replies.
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 »

bebro wrote:
morge4 wrote:So far am enjoying this one...

In scenario 2, as I finished I was shown an 'Axis Surrendered' (in very Germanic writing) and was not able to proceed further, this has happened twice now??

overall, I like it but can't get to scenario's 3 and4 like this??
I'm sorry to hear that, but I couldn't reproduce the problem. I can play normally to the end, so it is difficult to say what the reason is. Just to make sure: you play with PzC v1.05? I assume you play an English language version?

Is anyone else getting this trouble too?

You should only get scenario outcome screens like the one below, displaying either "Decisive Victory", "Marginal Victory" or "Defeat". By "Germanic writing" do you mean the same style as the text reading "Decisive Victory" in the pic here? That is a standard font from PzC, but I never encountered something saying 'Axis Surrendered' in the mod or in the maingame, so right now it's a mystery for me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Yes the text style is the same. I'll play again and if I get teh same results, I'll take a screen shot of it.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Jan 16, 2012

Hotfix v0.51: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21188170 ... _v0_51.zip

- corrected PZLOC file for last scenario to have victory conditions displayed
- corrected some missing/wrong entries in efx file

Copy the PZLOC to to "Data" folder, the EFX to the "Graphics" folder of this mod

Alternative Unit Strength GFX: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21188173/USMC_altgfx.zip

- switched colors for unit str plates

These are optional. Copy to the "..Graphics\Overlays" folder of this mod if you like these more. Should change your (US) str plates to grey/black. I haven't changed the minimap display for them, this would require to change more. Can be done if people really want it though.

Please note: seems it is best to deactivate the mod with GME, copy changes over, then activate again
(also edited into the OP)

@morge4: well, I believe you ;) I'm just puzzled what could cause this. Right now I have no explanation.
morge4

Post by morge4 »

Bebro, finally got through the 2nd scenario. Played the third and got the 'Axis Surrendered' at the end again. Had only lost one VH. Attached are the screen shots.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56952831/usmc_end.jpg[/img]

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56952831/mini_map.jpg[/img]
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

That shouldn't happen, of course, but right now I still can't reproduce or identify the prob. So I can just guess around.

Do you have other PzC mods active under GME? In that case I'd try to de-activate all except the USMC mod, then try again.

Since you now progressed to the 3rd scn, did you do anything specific to get to that, since you wrote earlier you had the prob after scn 2? Or did you just restart? It's quite confusing when it worked now, but re-appeared again after scn3.

Did you make other changes on your main game which could affect that? Otherwise I'm running out of ideas right now, I'm afraid... :(
morge4

Post by morge4 »

bebro wrote:That shouldn't happen, of course, but right now I still can't reproduce or identify the prob. So I can just guess around.

Do you have other PzC mods active under GME? In that case I'd try to de-activate all except the USMC mod, then try again.

Since you now progressed to the 3rd scn, did you do anything specific to get to that, since you wrote earlier you had the prob after scn 2? Or did you just restart? It's quite confusing when it worked now, but re-appeared again after scn3.

Did you make other changes on your main game which could affect that? Otherwise I'm running out of ideas right now, I'm afraid... :(
Only MOD active is the USMC mod. No changes to the main game. After the first time I saw this, I restarted the campaign again, the only difference I noticed was I got a MV instead of a DV and did move to scn 3. I played that one, only loosing 1 VH, which should have given me a MV again and moved me to scn 4. Instead I got the screen in the post above.

Running the English version, v1.05 on a Win7 64bit PC, single dual core processor with 5GB of RAM. Nothing really out of the ordinary. It has me scratching my head also.

I'll keep trying and let you know if I get any further.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

morge4 wrote: Running the English version, v1.05 on a Win7 64bit PC, single dual core processor with 5GB of RAM. Nothing really out of the ordinary. It has me scratching my head also.

I'll keep trying and let you know if I get any further.
That would be nice. I'll see through my files again to find something out, but for now I can't offer a solution. Since others don't report the problem and I don't get it I suspect it is not caused by the mod, though that doesn't help you...
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Here's an idea: If the problem persists, maybe you could try to end the scn per cheat code at the last turn. Of course there's no guarantee that this works better, but could be worth a try:
Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C to enter a cheat code. Here is a list of supported codes (#N means an integer number).

(...)

endscn #N
Ends current scenario with outcome #N (in campaigns 0=decisive victory, 1=marginal victory, 2=loss).

If it still happens you could also send me a savegame, so I could see if I get it as well then, though we'd still need to find the cause then.
morge4

Post by morge4 »

bebro wrote:Here's an idea: If the problem persists, maybe you could try to end the scn per cheat code at the last turn. Of course there's no guarantee that this works better, but could be worth a try:
Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C to enter a cheat code. Here is a list of supported codes (#N means an integer number).

(...)

endscn #N
Ends current scenario with outcome #N (in campaigns 0=decisive victory, 1=marginal victory, 2=loss).

If it still happens you could also send me a savegame, so I could see if I get it as well then, though we'd still need to find the cause then.
I tried something similiar to that...I used the 'PRESTIGE' code and bumped it up 1000. I also dropped down to the "CAPTAIN' level (instead of COLONEL). This allowed me to play each game in the campaign. Going to try going back to COLONEL and leave the Prestige as is and see what happens. May be the weekend before I can get around to it.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Well, that's really strange when it works in another difficulty. But unfortunately as said right now I can't find any mistakes or so that would cause it :(

I'll provide another small hotfix soon since it seems some debriefings (after scn 4) are still wrong, but that should have no other negative effects like those you encountered.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

A second hotfix is out:

Jan 22, 2012

Hotfix v0.52: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21214006 ... _v0_52.zip

- changed campaign file and briefings to have correct debriefings after the last scenario

Copy the campaign.PZDAT file to the "Data" folder, the PZBRF files to "Data/Briefings" of this mod

(also edited into the OP)

The next bigger update will include all hotfixes, but for now they remain separate.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

So it's time to say how this will go on :)

First, I'll probably release a "final" version of part I, incl hotfixes, plus some minor changes soon. This will still get bugfixes if needed, but otherwise I consider the first four scns completed after that.

I did some minor work on a second part.

I roughly plan to continue this as follows after Guadalcanal:

Next in summer 43 is one or two scenarios on New Georgia, still in the Solomons. These will be somewhat comparable to the Balkan scn in vanilla, you can only use a small part of your core here. That's because Marine involvement was rather small-scale there, but still vital.

Nov 43 you will get to do the major amphib assault on Tarawa. This one will be "normal" again, so with full core deployment. This will be the main campaign path leading to other major amphib ops in 44 and 45, ending with Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

*Maybe* I include an alternative path via Bougainville after New Georgia.

So there will be one or two more parts with the rest of the scenarios until 45, at the end they'll all be combined into one campaign. I guess finally there will be ca. 15 scenarios overall (pt I incl.) in the main path.

As usual, I'll post progress updates and some teasers from time to time :)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

A little taste of things to come (though not so soon, I shall say):

Unfortunately I found a couple of errors in my eqp file, which prompted me to do an extensive overhaul. As a consequence players cannot continue to play with the core from v 0.5 but will need to start over when the next part comes out.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

I see a new plane and new LST. :)

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”