Italian Campaign 2.0 (v.1.99b on 31st of May, 2023.)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Estherr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Italian Campaign 2.0 (v.1.95 on 6th April 2018)

Post by Estherr »

Thanks alot, Uhu.

/me off to test the rest of 1.9 campaign
Akkula's Modern Conflicts RU localization mod: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=969460#p969460
Estherr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Estherr »

Hello Uhu.

Got a question about infantry in 1.9x: Since I was playing 1.90/91 I noticed Bersaglieri units are not available for purchase. Well, it's a bit of problem, since Italian line infantry is very weak, but okay.

Now I'm at Kursk-43 with 1.95. Bunch of new equipment showed up, including '43 Paracadutisti, but no other '43 Infantry, nor Bersaglieri units, despite library says availability is 05.05.43 for all italian '43 Infantries (Kursk starts in July 43). Is that a bug, feature or I'm just doing something wrong? :)

upd: using "all eqp" thingie I found out bunch of '44 Italian Infantry. Which may means Library is out of date a little bit and there's still a mystery with precious Bersaglieri units.

and one more update, sorry, I am lagging a little bit: Kursk again, among the other units, Semovente 75/34 became available in two versions. Semovente M41M da 75/34 & M41 da 75/34 ATY/AT (at purchase screen). ATY/AT have exactly the same stats as older 75/18 units (while being more expensive) and another version have lower Air Defense and Sight, while being also more expensive than 75/18. Makes no sense a little bit.
Akkula's Modern Conflicts RU localization mod: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=969460#p969460
Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Uhu »

Estherr wrote:Hello Uhu.
Got a question about infantry in 1.9x: Since I was playing 1.90/91 I noticed Bersaglieri units are not available for purchase. Well, it's a bit of problem, since Italian line infantry is very weak, but okay.
Hello Estherr, thanks for your feedback! I consider Bersaglieri and Alpini units as elite, therefore no, or only partial (Alpini) purchase is available. I fought with 3 infantry (Bersaglieri, 2x Alpini) through the campaign, it is enough.
Estherr wrote:Now I'm at Kursk-43 with 1.95. Bunch of new equipment showed up, including '43 Paracadutisti, but no other '43 Infantry, nor Bersaglieri units, despite library says availability is 05.05.43 for all italian '43 Infantries (Kursk starts in July 43). Is that a bug, feature or I'm just doing something wrong? :)
Good finding ind eqp, I updated the 43 inf's to 44 as McGuba explained at BfE that only in 44 were there handheld AT weapons in significant number. You are right: I forgot to update it in Library and also to edit the Paracudisti entry (although that matters not, because parachute are anyway not purchasable). :)
Estherr wrote: and one more update, sorry, I am lagging a little bit: Kursk again, among the other units, Semovente 75/34 became available in two versions. Semovente M41M da 75/34 & M41 da 75/34 ATY/AT (at purchase screen). ATY/AT have exactly the same stats as older 75/18 units (while being more expensive) and another version have lower Air Defense and Sight, while being also more expensive than 75/18. Makes no sense a little bit.
One entry stayed there because of the "phantom units" which couldn't delete from the eqp file... (it is somehow a game bug) The 75/34 has a longer gun, but the same caliber: therefore in arty mode there is no difference - that is, why you do not see in purchase screen any difference - but in AT mode it has slightly better AT performance. But the true puncher is the 105/18! :twisted:
Estherr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Estherr »

Uhu wrote: Hello Estherr, thanks for your feedback! I consider Bersaglieri and Alpini units as elite, therefore no, or only partial (Alpini) purchase is available. I fought with 3 infantry (Bersaglieri, 2x Alpini) through the campaign, it is enough.
I see your point (even if I do not agree with it much - I mean, you can spam "elite" Alpini if you like but can't use Bersaglieri :lol: ), but oh well, I just love using infantry in difficult/urban terrain. Works a charm especially with awful Italian armor;
Uhu wrote: Good finding ind eqp, I updated the 43 inf's to 44 as McGuba explained at BfE that only in 44 were there handheld AT weapons in significant number. You are right: I forgot to update it in Library and also to edit the Paracudisti entry (although that matters not, because parachute are anyway not purchasable). :)
In fact, both '43 and '44 Paracudisti _are_ purchasable and upgradable. And so are Bersaglieri '44 btw. It's a quick-test using cheat codes to win scenarios, but still;
Uhu wrote: One entry stayed there because of the "phantom units" which couldn't delete from the eqp file... (it is somehow a game bug) The 75/34 has a longer gun, but the same caliber: therefore in arty mode there is no difference - that is, why you do not see in purchase screen any difference - but in AT mode it has slightly better AT performance. But the true puncher is the 105/18! :twisted:
Hah! You know, the soviets and their crazy "size-matters" drive - 152/28 (aka ML-20@ISU-152) is a puncher. Or rather arse-kicker, even if not originally designed for anti-tank duty :P But I see the idea behind Semovente 75/38. 109/25 doesn't look like a huge puncher btw - slightly better SA in ATG mode (same HA), just armor is better for sure. And speaking of devil, which of them are not a ghosts? The ones without "semovente" in purchase description I assume?

Also, while I was playing with units availability/upgradeability:
AB 43 recon unit suddenly have movement range of 7 instead of usual 10 for AB's. Not that it was much heavier than AB 41 and judging by Wiki (I know, I know, but still) it had upgraded engine and actually slightly higher maximum speed. So this is really strange performance drop;
From Gibraltar scenario alot of units disappear from shopping list. There's no particular pattern - say, very old Italian tanks still available, but L6, M13 and M14 series are gone (M15 still available though), all towed artillery except for 149/19 is also gone (two semovente 105/25 are ghost bug again I guess?), ATG selection is down to Semovente 75/46 and towed 75/39... Not exactly a game-breaker, just odd. I mean, old units retire - that makes sense, but crappy L3/L5 series still available in numbers for frontline service?

upd: Yak-3 using Yak-7 model (with that distinctive raised rear fuselage)
upd2: Moscow-43 scenario, there's glitchy "1st Semovente 75/18" aux unit unable to switch into artillery mode
tigris0430
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by tigris0430 »

Hi Uhu!
I realy like ur italian camping its fun too play :)
I play on colonel dificulty and i have a qustion in greece 2 scenarion ist normal tath i geth only 500 pretige?
i read ur topic now fully and i doth have the ideal unith comfig tath u sugest still 500 ist noth enugh even too fully repair my losess i won grecce 1 with DW on the 30 turn for taht i fell noth too nuch.
Thanks for the hard work and sorry for my bad Englis.
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Hello Tigris,

I'm happy, that you like the campaign! Actually, the normal reinforcement is just 400 prestige, I don't know, how you got more? This simulates, that you are in the middle of an operation, so you do not have much time and possibility to get more reinforcement. I know, Greece is/was very hard, especially the last part around Thessaloniki. Could you capture many non-major Greek cities? I always capture that in the south to gather a little more prestige and also try to take several settlements beyond Thessaloniki. If you finished it already at turn 30, that means, that you had another 4 turns for DV. That's not only another 4x10 prestige, but in that time, you can capture another Greek cities (but without own casualties).
On the other hand, the major reward is, that you can go further in the campaign without German interference, plus you will get the Crete scn, as an extra for the DV's, plus you will get a bonus fighter-bomber at Crete, which you can sell in the next scn (not very useful unit IMHO), so you will get rewarded is several way. I do not know, what core you have, or what overall strategies you follow - but you must always try to minimize the losses, that way, the prestige reinforcement is also "more". But Greece1 is still a very hard scn. I think, either Greece2 and Crete is not so hard.

tigris0430 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:28 am Hi Uhu!
I realy like ur italian camping its fun too play :)
I play on colonel dificulty and i have a qustion in greece 2 scenarion ist normal tath i geth only 500 pretige?
i read ur topic now fully and i doth have the ideal unith comfig tath u sugest still 500 ist noth enugh even too fully repair my losess i won grecce 1 with DW on the 30 turn for taht i fell noth too nuch.
Thanks for the hard work and sorry for my bad Englis.
tigris0430

Post by tigris0430 »

I dowloaded to dropbox some save files https://www.dropbox.com/s/edxi95fqhh4d5 ... pzsav?dl=0
I begin the camping again i hope with other trops gets better
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Yes, IMHO your core composition is not very ideal (but maybe more historical realistic). :) (You can sell core forces in the start of a new scn, with the button D - but do it, after you reinforced it with free normal reinforcement to full strength.) The M11/39 is a dead end - it is more useful to keep the two L3's until the arrival of the M13/30. As a stopgap solution, the DV-gift Soviet armor (after Malaga) and even more the French behemoth (After Nice) is a must have. (But in Jan 1942 it is useful to sell the French tank as it is very expensive to maintain and you will have the opportunity to upgrade several arty to Semovente 75/15). Also the MC.200 fighter path is a better choice in the long run.
The way to victory is a smart management of the core forces too.
I advise to look through the topic - we discussed, what my ideal core composition is and there were other choices of the players too.

tigris0430 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:49 pm I dowloaded to dropbox some save files https://www.dropbox.com/s/edxi95fqhh4d5 ... pzsav?dl=0
I begin the camping again i hope with other trops gets better
tigris0430

Post by tigris0430 »

Now im again at Maret with more then 2300 prestige i geth some other core units more arty and a level bomber and mc 200 figthers in the crete scen my bigest problem ist the emeny ships my bomber canth deal with them in the other scens i maneged to kill all emeny ships with my ships now i give more air power too the sea battles.
Still i like this camping and its wariablity. :)
In the latter launch date why i donth geth core units only prestige?
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

tigris0430 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:50 pm In the latter launch date why i donth geth core units only prestige?
In the Greece start, I gave core units, later I did not tested much, so it is as is - extreme hard. :)
tigris0430

Post by tigris0430 »

Im Now At Odessa i make a brake trugh and slowly i encirle te citys even with this figther ( MC200 ) ist sometimes hard too wipe the skies clear i donth have recon unit and less tank and infantry :) still i like this camping
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Recon is useful. :) Last time I bought one.
Earlier I overstrengthened my fighters, this time not, because I could save some prestige with it. I used my two core AA batteries as much as possible (From 1942 I bought even a third 90mm AA temporally). At Odessa you have the "luxury" that you have aux planes and AA too. :)
Good luck and good fights!
tigris0430 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:28 pm Im Now At Odessa i make a brake trugh and slowly i encirle te citys even with this figther ( MC200 ) ist sometimes hard too wipe the skies clear i donth have recon unit and less tank and infantry :) still i like this camping
tigris0430

Post by tigris0430 »

Thx I have good fights :)
Estherr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Estherr »

Uhu, gotta question about Gibraltar scenario: wasn't there landing zone for southern part of your army in previous version?

Atm there's four landing A-hexes in the north and nothing to the south. Which means it will take me ~8 turns just to land my core in perfect conditions (and I am airforce-heavy), not to mention resistance and stuff. Plus I _think_ I recall landing and assault the city itself from two sides.
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

I do not remember now, what were the causes to let only 4 assault hexes, probably, that I read more of the geography, or wanted to make more realistic.
Yes, it is quite hard, I played also several times the landing phase, until I succeed. But I think, it's a good simulation for that, how difficult/almost impossible would have been in real life to invade Gibraltar from the sea. Good news is, it is possible to do it! ;)
Estherr wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am Uhu, gotta question about Gibraltar scenario: wasn't there landing zone for southern part of your army in previous version?

Atm there's four landing A-hexes in the north and nothing to the south. Which means it will take me ~8 turns just to land my core in perfect conditions (and I am airforce-heavy), not to mention resistance and stuff. Plus I _think_ I recall landing and assault the city itself from two sides.
gabbb
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by gabbb »

To begin with, a huge thanks to Uhu, Nikivdd and the other developers for this masterpiece.

I was a Panzer general player, I then tried the later versions of that game without great satisfactions, until I discover Panzer General Forever which is very valid and in which there is a good Italian campaign.

When I discovered this Italian campaign developed by you, I decided to buy Panzer Corps (you can find it for less than 2 euros now), which I had never tried. The game is really good compared to its excellent predecessors, but I have almost not even tried it in its original version, since I immediately installed this fantastic Italian campaign.

Since the first approaches I have noticed that the immersion in the game is total, thanks to the wonderful work of graphics that you have done, with photos of the Italian vehicles and troops, detailed reports of the historical situation and precise briefing of the missions.

Before I started playing I've read this thread and I was not completely unprepared.

In the Maychew and Malaga scenarios I learned how to use my troops, knowing their limitations, especially the L3s and regular infantry. The L3s must be kept in the rear because they can not withstand the collisions of the first line, but thanks to their mobility they can quickly advance and finish the retreating enemies. The L3s should never be placed in close-type terrains, since they are easily damaged by infantry attacks, they must always be used in clean terrain and then be deployed in the scenario map considering objectives where maneuvers in clean grounds are possible, leaving only to the infantry the task of fighting in parts of the map where there are mainly hills and woods.

In Malaga, the counterattack of the enemies was quite cheating, I even sent my planes to the main directions to enter the map to understand where the counterattack would have originated. Instead the enemy troops appeared out of nowhere near my troops, which were partly damaged by the last battles. At that time I lost a formation of L3s and I risked losing a battalion of Alpini, who withdrew remaining with only 1 point of strength.

I play with difficulty level Colonel, but with AI set to maximum.

Now I am in Albania, the campaign is proceeding well, the Bulgarian troops have proved to be a valid ally if coordinated in a compact and orderly attack, I have already conquered the main objectives except Budva (the last city to the north), defended by the Yugoslav naval blockade. In this mission I upgraded the L3s to L3 flamethrowers and I must say that if used wisely they are not too inferior to the T26s, which I expected to be better reading the enthusiastic descriptions.

I am at turn 6, I have 1200 prestige points, my troops are:
- 3 regular infantry
- 2 Alpini
- 2 L3/35 flamethrowers tanks
- 2 105/28 artillery
- 1 149/13 artillery
- 2 Fiat Cr32 fighters
- 2 Br.20 tactical bombers
and then the T-26 thanks and the Light Cruiser

For now Italian fighters are quite scarce, and even the regular infantry is quite disappointing: the Spanish and Bulgarian regular troops have better values. Alpine and artillery instead are very good, specially the 105/28 and 149/13.

Thanks again for this masterpiece, the campaign is really fun and immersive. Ad Maiora!
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Thanks, I'm really happy, that you liked it and also for the great review!
Now just quickly: I would advise also to make steps for a little more ideal core force composition, because it makes things much better. I think, I wrote also of my composition earlier.
Strategic bombers are a must because of the naval battles, I would sell some reg inf (green replacement and than button 'D' at the start of the scn) and buy much more arty (also because of later upgrade them on Semovente's).
gabbb wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:17 am To begin with, a huge thanks to Uhu, Nikivdd and the other developers for this masterpiece.

I was a Panzer general player, I then tried the later versions of that game without great satisfactions, until I discover Panzer General Forever which is very valid and in which there is a good Italian campaign.

When I discovered this Italian campaign developed by you, I decided to buy Panzer Corps (you can find it for less than 2 euros now), which I had never tried. The game is really good compared to its excellent predecessors, but I have almost not even tried it in its original version, since I immediately installed this fantastic Italian campaign.

Since the first approaches I have noticed that the immersion in the game is total, thanks to the wonderful work of graphics that you have done, with photos of the Italian vehicles and troops, detailed reports of the historical situation and precise briefing of the missions.

Before I started playing I've read this thread and I was not completely unprepared.

In the Maychew and Malaga scenarios I learned how to use my troops, knowing their limitations, especially the L3s and regular infantry. The L3s must be kept in the rear because they can not withstand the collisions of the first line, but thanks to their mobility they can quickly advance and finish the retreating enemies. The L3s should never be placed in close-type terrains, since they are easily damaged by infantry attacks, they must always be used in clean terrain and then be deployed in the scenario map considering objectives where maneuvers in clean grounds are possible, leaving only to the infantry the task of fighting in parts of the map where there are mainly hills and woods.

In Malaga, the counterattack of the enemies was quite cheating, I even sent my planes to the main directions to enter the map to understand where the counterattack would have originated. Instead the enemy troops appeared out of nowhere near my troops, which were partly damaged by the last battles. At that time I lost a formation of L3s and I risked losing a battalion of Alpini, who withdrew remaining with only 1 point of strength.

I play with difficulty level Colonel, but with AI set to maximum.

Now I am in Albania, the campaign is proceeding well, the Bulgarian troops have proved to be a valid ally if coordinated in a compact and orderly attack, I have already conquered the main objectives except Budva (the last city to the north), defended by the Yugoslav naval blockade. In this mission I upgraded the L3s to L3 flamethrowers and I must say that if used wisely they are not too inferior to the T26s, which I expected to be better reading the enthusiastic descriptions.

I am at turn 6, I have 1200 prestige points, my troops are:
- 3 regular infantry
- 2 Alpini
- 2 L3/35 flamethrowers tanks
- 2 105/28 artillery
- 1 149/13 artillery
- 2 Fiat Cr32 fighters
- 2 Br.20 tactical bombers
and then the T-26 thanks and the Light Cruiser

For now Italian fighters are quite scarce, and even the regular infantry is quite disappointing: the Spanish and Bulgarian regular troops have better values. Alpine and artillery instead are very good, specially the 105/28 and 149/13.

Thanks again for this masterpiece, the campaign is really fun and immersive. Ad Maiora!
gabbb

Post by gabbb »

Thank you Uhu, I followed your advice, and at the beginning of Nice scenario I sold a reg inf and upgraded a second one to cavalry.
I bought two more small caliber artillerys that are suitable for being moved by horses on mountains, and in the northern part of the french scenario I successfully conducted a romantic WWI-style warfare in the mountains, with alpin troops, cavalry for scouting, and muscles-propelled artillery :-D I guess that this scenario was the last chance for this kind of old style approach, since in future scenarios the enemy armoured divisions will not allow that anymore, so I will have to upgrade my smaller artillerys and cavalry somehow! :-D
In the southern part of Nice scenario, as you told, bombers were the key factor. I have two tactic bomber squads and one strategic. First they served against the enemy fleet, allowing to defeat it with limited damages for the italian fleet. Then they were useful to defeat the superior enemy armored divisions coming from south-west, together with the help of the cannons of the intact fleet.
Now I am at the deploying phase in Mareth, and I am very scared :-D because the scenario is so wide and I have in dotation a lot of auxiliary troops, and this makes me guess that the enemy is really strong here and the combact strategies will require big efforts and a special coordination between the different classes of my troops!
Teku
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Teku »

I have the steam version of PC and i cannot get the mod to work. What do i need to do? (i am a complete noob at this, sorry :p )
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by jeffoot77 »

you have a file with it : "Install and Readme 1.95.txt"
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”