Dwight's Camo Sprayshop

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Dwight's Camo Sprayshop

Post by flakfernrohr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:19 am

Here are a couple of icons I made messing around in the learning curve with GIMP. Some of you may like them and use them. If not, no big deal. I'm still learning, so please bear with me.
Attachments
SOVIET_DT-12.7_HVY_MG-team 2.png
SOVIET_DT-12.7_HVY_MG-team 2.png (23.45 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
Soviet_DT-12.7_HVY_MG-team.png
Soviet_DT-12.7_HVY_MG-team.png (44.77 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?

rezaf
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by rezaf » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Not bad at all Dwight.
Just FYI, there's filters in Paint.NET to automatically make semi-realistic "shadows" in Paint.NET, and I'm sure there's something similar in GIMP, so no need to just draw up some blobs as shadows yourself, unless you really want to.
_____
rezaf

airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Looking good Dwight
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 pm

flakfernrohr wrote: :P
Dwight...
in the last camo skin package you made the
Winter Camo # 11-A
Winter Camo # 11

are missing so the application wants to quit...
thumbs are there though
just thought I let you know :wink:

Jelinobas
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Jelinobas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:37 pm

So first made ​​enough skins for the coming years. :lol:

3 different Packs for Download:

Skins based borysses
Skins Millitary Vector WWW
Other Skins WWW

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 am

Still in the learning curve with GIMP and NETPAINT, but I like both. Probably favor GIMP because it does some things easier or better than NETPAINT, but the same could be said for NETPAINT, LOL>

Here is a screenshot of my five (5) Soviet Heavy MG teams. I really don't enjoy using the vanilla Infantry icons, but I do like some of the DMP and custom Infantry Icons. The MG's in these icons are all scaled down from pictures. They are a Maxim, DT 12.7 Hvy MG and a Gorjunov SG43 MG. Maybe you guys can recognize them with a magnifying glass :lol: . I just filled in the pixels on the scaled image, etc. I have these made into scaled icons if anyone wants copies. I'm still learning and green at this, so please bear with me. I know some people don't like many figures in an Infantry icon, but I couldn't resist a double MG team.
Attachments
Soviet MG teams.jpg
Five (5) Soviet MG teams
Soviet MG teams.jpg (126.55 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:32 am

Here are my first German Panzer Grenadiers squad. These are original German figures and not used previously to my knowledge. I haven't added shadow effects on the icon yet, still trying to find the GIMP automatic shadow layer function. The Grenadiers are shown opposite my Soviet MG teams made with DMP figures and other original DMP icons. I am looking for a little objective input. I'm still on the learning curve with GIMP. You can see the contrast with the vanilla game's Panzer Grenadier MG teams behind them. If you think they suck, just say so. :lol:
Attachments
First Panzer Grenadier Icon.jpg
First Panzer Grenadier Icon.jpg (174.47 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
PZR_GRENADIERS-3.png
Panzer Grenadiers originals
PZR_GRENADIERS-3.png (61.6 KiB) Viewed 3103 times

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 am

I wouldn't know where to look in GIMP.
The one in Paint.NET can be kinda fiddly and hard to use, especially with multi-figure icons (infantry), but it gets the job done.
Here's what to expect:

_____
rezaf

Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Dwight...You can make shadow effects with GIMP...there are various different approaches

have a look at these tutorials... :lol:...
they are not about icons but the techniques are the same..you just have to apply them to a different image

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Here are a couple of icons some of you may like. They have no shadows yet, I am learning how to do that automatically. When done, I will post them with shadows. Feedback is appreciated good or bad. I am making some icons to use in my personal games now since I really don't like the ground units of the vanilla game and some of the other motorized (and horse) units of the vanilla game. I guess eventually I'll have enough of icons I made to replace most of the vanilla icons on the ground that get the most play.
Attachments
German Cossacks.jpg
German Cossacks.jpg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
GERMAN_COSSACKS-2 OK - Copy.png
German Cossacks 2nd Battalion
GERMAN_COSSACKS-2 OK - Copy.png (64.55 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
GERMAN_COSSACKS-1-OK.png
German Cossacks 1st Battalion
GERMAN_COSSACKS-1-OK.png (59.16 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Good job Dwight...lookin' good
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:33 am

The new icons look very nice. But i guess they require a new animation, don't they?
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:52 am

nikivdd wrote:The new icons look very nice. But i guess they require a new animation, don't they?

I don't know how to make the horses gallop if that's what you mean Nico. I don't use the "matchstick men" of the vanilla game when I play in my personal scenarios and I use either my own ground unit icons or a selected few or a number of modified the DMP ground icons that all blend nicely with the vanilla armor and softskin icons of the game. And I use a lot of custom non vanilla icons for icons on units that are not ground units as well. Thanks for the compliment.

nikivdd

Post by nikivdd » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

flakfernrohr wrote:
nikivdd wrote:The new icons look very nice. But i guess they require a new animation, don't they?

I don't know how to make the horses gallop if that's what you mean Nico. I don't use the "matchstick men" of the vanilla game when I play in my personal scenarios and I use either my own ground unit icons or a selected few or a number of modified the DMP ground icons that all blend nicely with the vanilla armor and softskin icons of the game. And I use a lot of custom non vanilla icons for icons on units that are not ground units as well. Thanks for the compliment.
Ofcourse i forgot to write a word, i actually meant fire animation :oops: or did you find a suitable vanilla one?
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:09 pm

The issue is that the unit don't have a figure in firing position like vanilla units. So it doesn't matter the firing animation, Nico.
Besides that problem and the lack of shadow you would also need to sharpen a little more the image, Dwight.
But this is all secondary in a way, because I think what it matters is that you're having a lot of fun. :wink:

airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 pm

VPaulus wrote: But this is all secondary in a way, because I think what it matters is that you're having a lot of fun. :wink:
+1000

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

guille1434
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Rezaf: I would like to take some advice about your tool... I am experimenting with it, trying to make a desert camouflaged Fi-156 storch. To obtain this I started making the skin and the skin thumbnail, which I did using the same formats the others files had, besides for the base icon, I used a greyscale converted Fi-156 icon (the one made by Bosnian Dragon). The problem is that when I open the tool, and select the skin and the icon, the program gives me an error message, telling me that it could not find the files... Any ideas? (I attach the files I did, if case they help you).
It is enough for me if I can obtain one good plane image with this skin, after that I can "arrange" the complete icon image, with the small profiles, shadows, etc...
Thanks!!
Attachments
Fi-156_Storch.png
Fi-156_Storch.png (12.05 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
DesertRocks.png
DesertRocks.png (750 Bytes) Viewed 2959 times
DesertRocks.png
DesertRocks.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 2959 times

rezaf

Post by rezaf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Have you created a mask file for the Storch?
In BaseIcons, you need to have both the Icon and an appropriate mask.

Then you need to have your texture in the Skins directory and it's thumbnail in the SkinThumbnail directory, ending with _thumb.
Just look at the other files in those directories for reference.

In case you do have a mask and have the thumbnail named appropriately, post all files in an archive and I'll check it out on my side.
_____
rezaf

guille1434
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:03 pm

I forgot the mask file... any advice on how to make it, using the icon, for example? Thanks!!

flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:37 pm

I would advise masking the windows and tires/wheels. You will need to use the "purple" mask rectangle for the National markings. I have not done a plane yet, but maybe Von Paulus the plane expert can guide you how to do it with the DCS. BTW Guille1434, would you mind if I used your Mercedes L4500 truck to make the Maultier version? I have the perfect set of tracks and wheels I found on the internet.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”